Open 1985 Eau de Toilette

Open (Eau de Toilette) by Roger & Gallet
Open (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Roger & Gallet for men and was released in 1985. The scent is spicy-woody. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesAmalfi lemonAmalfi lemon
BergamotBergamot
LavenderLavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesSageSage
ThymeThyme
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouliPatchouli
TobaccoTobacco
VetiverVetiver

Submitted by Sammy, last update on 26.08.2021.

Ash damage !!!
Heilig's Blechle, since you think that you have already gone through the hard school of the 80s powerhouse fragrances with "Krizia", "Quorum" and the like (in addition to comparatively "soft" representatives such as "Kouros" and "Antaeus")
, and then something like this!
I was once in the Harz, at a 30-meter-high Easter fire, where certainly some rags even the plastic bags in which they had transported their various spirits, left to the flames. The prelude of "Open" is the smell of my clothes after this evening. After that, it gets soapy in the drydown, but so so! The curd soap of my childhood, accompanied by a little sage at best. Much later, the fragrance tends to something sweetish and reminds there of "Quorum", but the tobacco part in the form of a thick, fat ashtray with cold cigar butts remains in the foreground.
I give this fragrance a 7, because I 1. maybe still warm up to it with repeated wear, 2. generally like old school smells and 3. find good everything that triggers pictorial associations in my head / tells me a story. That creates this non-flatterer.
Long film night

Greenix
Erdix
Smokix
And the self-confident Krautix

Accompanied to the big cinema

Würzix buys the tickets for everyone

All rave for

Mel Gibson
Robert de Niro
Humphrey Bogart
And Jürgen Prochnow

Together they sit on a warm wooden bench and watch the captivating monumental film completely spellbound.
A classic with a twist.
The Open by Roger & Gallet is a classic. Very deep and smoky fragrance. Strong at the beginning in its projection. Not for everyone. If you don't like smoky, woody scents, you should stay away from the Open. After a club at the beginning you can bear him again and recovers after about 10-20 minutes and then he is more bearable.

The more often you wear it, the more and more you like it. A habit scent.

Roger & Gallet Open
SMELL 'EM WHO'S BOSS!

Roger & Gallet OPEN belongs not only in the Cheapie Hall of Fame ($19 bucks!), but also as an honorable mention in the 80's masculine swagger tobacco scents hall.

Men's fragrance aficionados of stalwarts Polo, Quorum, Jacomo de Jacomo, and Tsar will revel in OPEN so wear with confidence!

4 stars
Leporello
Between Black Forest Clinic, Live Aid, Barbershop and the first cigarette ..
or why the eighties were unique. The eighties were an extremely exciting and eventful decade for us Germans. One felt one lived between the Black Forest Clinic, Saturday evening show, forest dieback, peace demonstration, the fall of the Berlin Wall and the whole thing garnished with German bourgeoisie. For many, however, the eighties were also a decade of new beginnings and the start of their own lives. I like the eighties above all for their attitude to life, the scents and not least the beautiful cars. Fashionably, the eighties were a catastrophe, all the more interesting that many of my favorite fragrances came onto the market in this decade, including Open by Roger & Gallet.

If you want to create a link between Open and the feeling of the eighties, you can feel this at a very early stage. Because when Open flirts with the image of a "sports fragrance", the start is anything but sporty-fresh and reserved. Vulgarly speaking, Open is pretty brutal to you, with a canonade of aldehydes and soap garnished with citrus notes, so much in your face that I wasn't sure if I could stand it at first. Dear goodness, what is this for a prelude, there is hardly an attribute here that can describe my feeling. I smell such a load of aldehyde-impregnated soap with pungent citrus notes, Ata Reiniger is shit against it. There are no more words or phrases like "boy you get hair on your chest" to help. The prelude is disgusting.

In short, I was bitterly disappointed and determined to go to the shower as quickly as possible to get this disgusting brew off my skin. But chance had it that I was still busy for a short time and had to find out that I had judged again prematurely. Because already after about ten minutes the disgust had given way to astonishment, the brute soap aldehyde citrus canonade had almost disappeared and I gradually smelled this wonderfully dark tobacco. Clearly black cabbage, no fine Virginia, no Oriental tobacco, but deep dark cabbage brand Schwarzer Krauser. You have to like it, but freshly opened it smells wonderful to me. Also the strong citrus notes, which do not spread any bergamot aroma, became much more pleasant and accompanied the tobacco in a fresh and pleasant way. After about half an hour, the woody-warm aroma of fresh tobacco fine cut remains on the skin for a felt eternity, refreshed with a light citrus note and minimal soap.

Maybe it's a feeling of unrestrained nostalgia but I like the fragrance very much now and am ready to look into its cheeky and impetuous appearance at the beginning. Maybe I can see myself turning my first cigarette in Adidas Allround Sneakers with white sports socks, carrot jeans and a training jacket. In short, the Open can stay and will now be played more often in autumn, even if I don't want to walk around in the clothes of that time, I have the feeling that we just wore the "hornier" scents compared to today. Live rock, so to speak, instead of uniform retort music.
Stinki
interesting and also quite cool scent,
i think. In the beginning orange and lemon, slightly acidic with aldehydes. Later then slightly smoky, quite soapy with a very beautiful tobacco blossom running out. With tobacco in general I always have so my problems, because you make 5-10 years older in one fell swoop, if then oakmoss in addition still properly ... Methuselah... pardon me, I digress. This is not the case here, everything remains quite fresh and/or tinted. The fragrance itself does not radiate far, but is clearly perceived and that is what makes it so interesting. Smelling very close to his wrist, he has a fabulous, slightly sweet, green depth, which I think is owed to moss - wonderful. I'd like to wear it more often, but I think it's the cardamom, which suits him, but unfortunately always goes against my grain somewhere. I think he always has something slightly nauseating in constant fire, but that's subjective. Nevertheless, a very well made, distinguished, beautiful companion who does well.
The best blind buy!
I appreciate Oldschooldüfte very much, Open was also very cheap to get and the summary information told me odourless. No pine and no pine needles! So it came that I ordered the Open blind and it was a direct hit. Tobacco in one of its most beautiful forms, plus the initial freshness of lemon and bergamot which makes it appear like a higher concentrated cologne. Spicy notes are added by the thyme and by the sage and lavender a light soapiness results in the background, whereby I think that also here with aldehydes was not spared.

Overall, Open is one of my favorite classics. I don't think Open has anything old-fashioned or dusty about it and it's easy to wear nowadays, especially when you get tired of all the sweet stuff!

Also the durability of the reformulated version is very good and the Sillage is at least in the first hour still well perceptible. It's a shame his last lesson also came to an end. It's best to quickly secure a bottle before the prices go towards the moon!

KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
To have a wonderful tobacco scent, you have to withstand herbal soaps that cause headaches. It's outdated in a bad sense.
NGL7NGL7 3 years ago
One of best tobacco based scents out there. Very in Your face, very 80's, almost aggressive, kicking today's tobaccos in .....out of sight
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
Breath taking! I tested it today and was amazed by this tobacco scent. Highly recomended.

by Zora
by Couchlock
by Hordak
by Hordak

Popular Roger & Gallet

Open White by Roger & Gallet Open Gold by Roger & Gallet Open Black by Roger & Gallet Fleur de Figuier (Eau de Parfum) by Roger & Gallet L'Homme (2008) by Roger & Gallet Bois d'Orange by Roger & Gallet Gingembre by Roger & Gallet Thé Fantaisie by Roger & Gallet Cassis Frénésie by Roger & Gallet Fleur d'Osmanthus by Roger & Gallet Thé Vert by Roger & Gallet Verveine Utopie by Roger & Gallet Ylang by Roger & Gallet Jean Marie Farina Extra-Vieille (2012) by Roger & Gallet Fleur de Figuier (Eau Fraîche) by Roger & Gallet Amande Persane by Roger & Gallet Santal by Roger & Gallet Tubéreuse Hédonie by Roger & Gallet Rose by Roger & Gallet L'Homme (1979) (Eau de Toilette) by Roger & Gallet