Mousse Illuminée 2018

Mousse Illuminée by Rogue
Mousse Illuminée is a popular perfume by Rogue for men and was released in 2018. The scent is green-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Perfumer & Creative Guidance

Manuel Cross (Brand Owner, Perfume maker)

FrankincenseFrankincense
Bay leafBay leaf
Tree mossTree moss
CypressCypress
ArtemisiaArtemisia
CedarCedar
White blossomsWhite blossoms
White muskWhite musk

Submitted by Carlitos01, last update on 06.10.2021.

A green beast
I just love green scents. Especially green scents that last all day long and that's what i get when i wear Mousse Illuminae from Rogue Perfumerie. Man what a breath of fresh air this company is. Thank God Manuel Cross has the gonads to tell the IFRA to go POUND SAND with their stupid restrictions. Oakmoss aplenty in this composition to say the least. Mousse Illuminae is built around a lovely tree Moss absolute from
Robertet. The absolute smells dry resinous and sweet just like a forest. This indeed is an early 80s style men's Powerhouse fragrance with heavy floral and clean white musk notes. Just a nuclear green mossy throwback that keeps me on cloud 9 from morning to night. Wow need more compositions like this. Thank you Manuel Cross I'm going to buy your entire collection.

Nuclear Blast of Fresh Cypress
Dear LORD the opening is a nuclear blast of treemoss and green cypress, almost piney, with an herbal tinge and noticeable menthol accord (from... where?). An extremely bright tuberose is revealed after a few minutes followed by a light, airy jasmine as the scent transforms into something more woody and green with a hint of fresh spice. Very bright and uplifting, like walking through a heavily coniferous forest. Not a damp deciduous forest like Chypre-Siam, but not totally dry like Fougere L'aube... so like a gentle mist of morning dew? The day after light rainfall? ? Alternatively, this is a very strong pine-scented aftershave.

I can understand why some think it too medicinal, with that mysterious menthol accord and all, but I don't get that at all. I mean, I get the menthol accord but it just comes across so fresh and uplifting here, I love it. Nuclear projection for 2-3hr, longevity 6-8hr. And that's with the roller ball sample... can't wait to blow my nose out with an atomizer when my full bottle comes in.
DK74
More than the sum of its (component) parts
Love it! Although you could say it smells like a pine needle infusion for bubble bath.... - but only if you're really mean! This one is soooooo much more! I think esotericists would describe this as an aura scent - at least in my mind. Wrigley's Spearmint would somehow also be an (inappropriate) association to have on first impression. Sure, light, tangy and so not yet smelled (which actually always triggers enthusiasm with me) incense / moss / musk can be identified quite clearly - with the rest it's hard - especially white blood I perceive zero - he is just more than the sum of its (stock) parts.
And definitely worth mentioning - he holds and holds and holds.... Nothing stops him - in the morning sprayed on; evening sports and sweat - pfff; Afterwards showering - sure, but with it you get him - really amazing - also not loose. Even the next morning it can still be perceived - ergo sum - the durability is bomb! Sillage is also quite long room-filling - a push is absolutely enough.

Art
Modern Chypre in the best classic traditions
A fantastic modern Chypre, made in the best classic traditions. It's like you found yourself in a perfume department store in the 60s-70s of the last century testing the most beautiful chypres that have just descended from the conveyor. Longevity and projection is incredible, it stays and develops on the sleeve of my clothes for more than a week. I am more than impressed!
Go with the (green) Flow
Surrender to the flow of life and let yourself be carried away by what comes. A very inviting idea, and in this day and age probably only very conditionally realizable for most. At least in my life a real challenge, because the flow is interrupted again and again. But how do you even get into the right "flow"?

Olfactory considered the flow, which concerns fragrances and perfumes, has me quite unexpectedly way a few weeks ago, as me a valued Parfumo colleague Mousse Illuminee as a sample zukommen lie.
When I tested the fragrance together with a few other fragrances, the work of Rogue fell me first not at all significantly in the eye or in the sense of smell. Only when I came after leaving the room back into the room, well there he floated, this all overlaying fragrance carpet...
It was like the ultimate awakening, and I thought to myself...Wow, that almost reveals a bit of what I have always been looking for olfactorically. Thus, I came into the flow - instantly and full of enthusiasm!

Mousse Illuminee puts you in chains in the positive sense, holds you tight and takes you on a shimmering journey. Not the wearer wears this fragrance, but the fragrance wears the wearer! An essential principle! Because as soon as the fragrance molecules pass through the atomizer and come into contact with the environment, it means diving into a sea of green lights full of breathtaking beauty. Ethereal green freshness emerges, like an emerald forest full of grace and magic. But be careful, because the initial sharpness, enormous herbaceousness and the sometimes acrid smell can also be perceived very quickly as unpleasant, respectively be equated with too strong animalism. But a few words more about this later.
Mousse Illuminee needs its time. The longer you wear it, the more beautiful, authentic and purist it becomes.
Because the real magic, which the manufacturer Manuel Cross draws sovereign, and the fragrance for me thus almost visionary, is the inherent spirit of the forest. Do you know those images of forest gods, whose face is made of leaves, arranged in a circle, with puckered lips as if breathing out wind? MI makes me think of just such a figure...mystical, enchanting and mysterious!
This phenomenon arises from the oak moss, which here so grandiosely set in scene, the fragrance breathes this extraordinary aura. Fantastic!

On the subject of urea-containing aromas in the fragrance, so in the statements is often spoken of "anpinkeln", "piss", "mark", "anbrunzen"...:-) gespochen.
This is, by the way, urbayerisch, sensational term, and means the same as "a'gseicht", so angebieselt.
But now enough of these urinalen terminology, they are but in my opinion going for this wondrous fragrance more than inappropriate and completely unsuitable!
It lies solely in the intense prelude of MI, which allows this assumption. I perceive these fragrance notes so but in no way. On the contrary. MI needs this intensity to play out its enormous endurance. It actually lasts the whole day! So is here with the dosage caution required, because MI wallpapers in the closer environment everything organic as well as inorganic with its molecules...
No, that's not true, of course. But too much sprayed quickly leads to social exclusion!

The label owner Manuel Cross has hereby succeeded in creating a brilliant oldschool powerhouse fragrance, with a modern, and just for me almost visionary twist. My predecessor Ms. Holle I therefore unreservedly agree: Best fragrance!
However, I must deny her one thing: she has not all bottles, one stands with me...:-)

I thank my now almost mentor Floyd, who made me aware of this label in the first place, as well as the esteemed Mr. Bloodxclat, who sent me this then inconspicuous sample many weeks ago!

*It's time to start something new and trust the magic of the beginning

Thank you so much for reading all of this!

Best smell.
There. Now that I've bought ALL the bottles, specimens and leftovers in the Souk, on ebay, and via the Corona app, I can tell you: this is the best fragrance there is
You have to understand that I couldn't tell you this right away, after all we are not friends, and due to the fact that everyone is closest to himself, I had to and did act accordingly; because only in this way I can ensure MY survival; and where other people have been hoarding toilet paper, I have exactly THIS bottle in my house, and now let's see who will be the loser in the second wave, or rather who will be bedded on bright moss, right?
To the smell:
A leading Symrise Star Senior perfumer (Mr. Kuschel) says: White flowers.
A leading teacher & chemist & megalomaniac assured me by telephone: Moss!
And a launderette boss (Führernatur) finally says: White musk.

Well, as you have probably quickly looked up yourself, it says EVERYTHING at the top of the pyramid,
but I'm right. (Ctrl old underlined italic & bold & large neon-pink flashing)

It's a celebration Have a good night.

Drseid
Buy the Caesars Man Instead...
Mousse Illuminee goes on skin with a brief blast of bracing wormwood as underlying tree moss is immediately detectable from the base before moving briskly to its heart. As the composition enters its early heart the wormwood vacates, leaving the tree moss that ratchets up significantly to take on the focal role, significantly supported by a relatively transparent white musk and mossy-woody cypress tandem with underlying camphorous bay leaf and a touch of benzoin sweetness. During the late dry-down the composition stays linear with the slightly sweetened tree moss and cypress leading the way through the finish. Projection is excellent, as is longevity at well over 12 hours on skin.

I am not much of a tree moss lover, instead having a gargantuan preference for oakmoss, and unfortunately there is none here that I can detect (check out Rouge's stellar Chypre-Siam for what oakmoss smells like). As such, the tree moss focused Mousse Illuminee lost me near-immediately. That is not to say I believe the composition is not well-made and smells good, but as many compare Mousse Illuminee to vintage Polo, I confess I don't get the comparison, finding the composition all too dangerously close to vintage Drakkar Noir and particularly its semi-clone, vintage Caesars Man. I love vintage Caesars Man but honestly find it superior smelling with similar performance, and it cost me about $12 when I bought my 120 ml bottle years ago. The bottom line is the $125 per 60 ml Mousse Illuminee is a "good" smelling 3 stars out of 5 rated perfume that to me is superfluous when superior "cheapies" like the superior excellent smelling vintage Caesars Man can still be found on the after market for much less, yielding a neutral recommendation.

Sugar in the forest
I want to start by saying that I am a big fan of chypre fragrances and greenery. I love moss so much that I stick my nose in it when I go for hikes. Our forests are full of it on the West Coast.
Here is to the review: This fragrance has a classic backbone but does not smell dated. The quality of ingredients is obvious. It is an original composition; I have never smelled something similar. Despite all of these positives, it does not work for me. The Artemisia gives an impression of toothpaste. It smells very sweet on me; something I do not like in Chypre fragrances. I like them dry with a hint of natural sweetness from flowers or fruits (plums, apricot or peaches). I am looking forward to test the other offerings; I hope I will find the one for me as I like the house of Rogue and their approach to perfumery.
Profumo
Retrospect: when the shoulder pads were huge, the eyes bordered by Kajal and the scents were unrestrainedly aromatic...
Mousse Illuminée' is a real flashback to the men's perfumery of the late 70s and early 80s, when fragrances for men were one thing above all: aromatic.
A lot of sage was used, laurel, mugwort, anise, tarragon, coriander, basil, caraway as well as honey, tobacco and heaps of oak moss. Paco Rabanne pour Homme' and 'Azzaro pour Homme' were the most prominent fougère varieties, 'Polo', 'Quorum', 'Krizia Uomo' and 'Kouros' were the ones that tended towards chypre
But no matter whether fougère or chypre, the flavoring was as good as it gets, and the base (and fixative!) was oak moss. Whether with lavender and coumarin, or without, it is only a question of the accent. If you break it down completely and reduce it to a common denominator, you could also simply speak of aromatically spiced moss.
And that's what mousse illuminée is
When Manuel Cross speaks of illuminated moss, or alternatively illuminated moss, he probably means that with all the aromatic additions, he has made the multiple scent spectrum of the moss, the green, moist, smoky, bitter, shine through the added aromas.
And indeed it is, because as soon as it is sprayed on, it is immediately clear: the pivotal point of the fragrance is moss, or more precisely: tree moss. A 'Treemoss absolute' from the Robertet company, of which he used 'a chunky can' Hallelujah, there really is 'a chunky box' at work - tree moss sensitive people should avoid 'Mousse Illuminée'!
At first, however, it doesn't stand out so clearly: the fresh, green spice of the opening chord dominates, which gets by without any citrus notes at all. Soon enough, however, the moss is in full juice, and since its fixative capabilities are still fully present here, it holds, and holds, and holds, and holds. It doesn't stop holding at all, even though all the spice has long since been smoked out.
First, however, laurel and mugwort, some incense and also the coniferous green of the cypress. Bedded on the overdose of moss, a typical 80's fragrance sounds as unmistakable as it could hardly be. Especially 'Quorum' sends its greetings - a little less dark, without the leathery and animal facets, but a little lighter in the green tone, but the rogue scent already goes quite clearly in this direction.

Luckily, Manuel Cross didn't add Castoreum, a leathery, anal scent component that was so popular 40 years ago that it would certainly have gone into the formula by the kilo. This excess of Castoreum, however, permanently spoiled these fragrances, and I was still happy every time a reformulation, as was the case with 'Antaeus' a few years ago, reduced beaver's horny. All of a sudden I like 'Antaeus' again!
Quorum' still doesn't work for me, but 'Mousse Illuminée' works just fine! Thus Manuel Cross quotes the fragrance fashion of the 80s, but he does not copy it one-to-one. Mousse Illuminée' is rather a beautiful homage to them, seen from today's perspective

The scent is definitely successful, but in typical rogue manner: a little bumpy and unpolished, but that doesn't matter. Sometimes I even find it quite pleasant if everything doesn't always look so polished. The characteristic features of the perfumer then reveal themselves more clearly - very similar to Andy Tauer, or other self-made perfumers.

To appreciate the scents of Manuel Cross you should have a soft spot for vintage fragrances. You won't find modern synthetics here - no ambroxane, no cashmeran, no calone, nothing. Instead, an old-fashioned aura blows around them. No ossified aura, stuck in the past, earlier-was-everything-better aura, but rather a friendly, open and sympathetic one, paired with a very contemporary desire to reawaken the most beautiful things of yesterday.

I like that smell. It reminds me of a time when we all ran around the eyes with huge shoulder pads, wild hairstyles and lots of kajal. Our scents were also intense, but they were a statement. A loud.

A little melancholy resonates with it

Oakmoss masterpiece!
It's pure art here. Basically, a green-fresh-herbal fougère scent but with excellent quality materials. It's like you're shaving your beard in front of a freshly cutted grass garden on a sunny morning day. That's the perfect scenario description. Very invigorating! It starts off with oakmoss right in the front and Artemisia giving this additional freshness. It's almost watery. There's hints of cypress albeit not super evident. In the heart I get some white florals too which I thought would be my nose tricking me but as soon as I looked up the notes I found that is listed um the note break down. After this flowery nuance, the fragrance stays linear (but super persistent!) for the rest of the day. I get 12+ hours of longevity easily with a good bubble around me.

Indie Perfumery has giving us great examples of good artsy yet totally wearable fragrances. Thankfully, since designer and niche are very saturated with boring stuff. This one is a real throw back in time. I'm glad that the owner and perfumer of this house (Manuel Cross) had the guts to create such an old school yet beautiful oakmoss based scent. Mandatory to all fans of the classics, and to everyone that likes Perfumery as an art. I don't think that this is dated, or with an old school vibe, but, like Rive Gauche pour Homme (2003), is a throw back in time to the 60's chypres, so you have to apreciate this grassy-mossy kind of a scent. All in all, a masterpiece. Grab a bottle if you can!

5/5

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 1 year ago
A slightly smoky, yet boozy dark green spicy/floral Fougère, balanced by a solid dry earthy-woody base. Heavy, yet fresh and clean. Unique!
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 1 year ago
Amazing green and classy scent. Aromatic and woody with a smooth incense that reminds me of Memoir Man's. Great performance
SergioTSergioT 2 years ago
Liquid perfection. Modern yet classic. Fresh and long-lasting. Love from day one and I get the feeling is for a lifetime. Flawless

by FrauHolle
by Berlinbreeze
by MrNiceGuy
by MrNiceGuy

Popular Rogue

Chypre-Siam by Rogue Derviche by Rogue Flora & Fauna by Rogue Tabac Vert by Rogue Bon Monsieur by Rogue Fougère L'Aube by Rogue Champs Lunaires by Rogue Tuberose & Moss by Rogue Flos Mortis by Rogue Ishtar by Rogue Jasmin Antique by Rogue Le Canotier by Rogue 40 Rogue by Rogue Vetifleur by Rogue Derviche II by Rogue