Chypre-Siam

Chypre-Siam by Rogue Perfumery

Chypre-Siam is a perfume by Rogue Perfumery for women and men. The release year is unknown. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesKaffir lime, Basil
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine absolute, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Sandalwood, Benzoin, Leather, Civet, Spices
No ratings yet.
Submitted by Tanninaz, last update on 16.02.2019

A masterful classic chypre
While scrolling Instagram recently, I couldn’t help but notice a photo of Chypre-Siam, being the vintage Coty fan that I am. It reflects the 1940’s (ish) French foil label style they used, and the same green and gold colors used for Chypre, the chypre that started them all. So, I hit the brakes and started reading. I commented that I it looked authentically vintage and the Instagrammer responded “smells even more vintage”. Okay, that’s all it took so I started googling.

I found the website and was immediately sold by the up front, no holds barred, proud exclamation by Manuel Cross of Rogue as being “non IFRA compliant fragrance art”. No stammering, no dancing around it, no “I hope nobody notices we aren’t compliant”, none of that, he clearly says I make perfume the way I want. I like him already. So, I reached out to him with some questions. He then generously offered to send me some samples.

So far I have only tried Chypre-Siam but I am so impressed already. He completely nails the feel of Coty Chypre but with a bit of a Mitsouko twist, especially in the opening. Fans of real oakmoss will be delighted by his “IFRA can jump off into a lake” stance because it’s full of it. This is a true classic chypre, masterfully created, with natural and synthetic materials perfectly balanced and used properly to enhance each other.

If you like true vintage style, run, I can’t recommend this highly enough. When I first smelled Chypre-Siam, I thought how can a new perfumer make something this good? Then I researched more and found that Manny has been studying perfumery, fragrance history and aroma chemicals for 10 years. Being a chef by trade, I assume that skill transferred over into making perfume as well. Good stuff.

Popular Rogue Perfumery