A Midsummer Dream (2016)

A Midsummer Dream by Roja Parfums

A Midsummer Dream is a popular perfume by Roja Parfums for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is fresh-floral. It is still in production.

Roja Dove

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Grapefruit
Heart Notes Heart NotesMay rose, Orange blossom
Base Notes Base NotesCardamom, Elemi resin, Pink pepper, Patchouli, Oakmoss, Tree moss, Vetiver, Cedarwood, Benzoin, Vanilla, Carrot seed, Iris, Musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 19.07.2019

9.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

A dream of summer
About Roja Dove you can say or write what you want, but one thing is clear as daylight: he doesn't make tinkered scents with bad quality - at least not until now. On the contrary: A Midsummer Dream offers the ideal stuff for a, well comedic I will not mention now, but at least extremely positively tuned scent for cheerful days or those that should be.

It opens with a true cornucopia of fruity notes, or omits the otherwise more typical Roja Dove lemon, but adds more tangy grapefruit with minimal acidity plus a few fresh green notes and an exciting slow transition towards creamy orange blossom.

The first few minutes alone are exhilaratingly beautiful and whet your appetite for more ... more scent, more sun, more summer - but perhaps not necessarily more heat.

The long lasting middle part with the focused orange blossoms does not remind of APOM pour Homme from MFK by chance. But while those with a personal touch become a little too dry and dull, A Midsummer Dream offers more freshness, liveliness and refinement with floral and spicy accents. Simply an interwoven complexity of premium and natural-looking nuances typical of RD.
Sweet, but not too sweet and simply full without being exaggerated or even penetrating.

The summer dream dims creamily towards the long-term end, with the orange blossom still perceptible for some time. In my opinion, this is the dominant ingredient in this eau de parfum, fairytale beautiful and in part perhaps more for the summer night than for the day, but otherwise independent of day and gender.

If you basically like orange blossom fragrances, you will definitely feel more than comfortable with this summer dream. And if you don't like them, you might still get something out of them.
8.0 8.0 9.0 8.0/10

A Midsummer Night's Dream from the Stranglers
For AugustA this summer night begins with a shower. A bizzelndes glass Brause, beside it a vase, the smell of flower stems. Gleißend bright it flashes back and forth between foaming brightness and green powder.
Then a creamy fragrance, pure white, well-groomed, fine and noble. Expensive - and disappears again before you can notice it.

An airy innocent powder underlaid with contrapuntal ginger spiciness looks bright and fresh-summery. Bell-bright laughter, buoyant zippiness. The whole results in an elegant but also somewhat naïve Sillage. A hint of sweetness brightens the mood further.

Of course a white summer dress comes to mind, in the warm wind on a green meadow with sunshine. But it's night. One summer night.

Now ta,taa: Flowers. A ROSE, perhaps lily of the valley, freesia, magnolia, it tinkles and shines brightly from all sides. Always nice and clean, of course, not such an obscene mess as in Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream, if someone thought of it by name like I did. We have nothing to do with this. Just as little as the orange blossom, which has nothing Indolic about it, only shines innocently well-behaved and may bring the Mediterranean sun to it (still in the middle of the night, mind you...). It gets warmer, sweeter, woody, just a little bit, now the scent takes me on a nice little dream trip.
Iris and Vetiver give clarity to it and the view into the sky becomes free, finally, where the clouds draw and where the stars stand.
Some moss makes me sit under a tree.
Now there are even the Stranglers to the fragrance, A Midsummer Nights Dream - click, see there: that fits now nevertheless outstandingly and the rest Brausefrische harmonizes so beautifully with the flower green and the warm skin.
Vetiver at the end. And wood natural, soft, balsamic, benzoid.

The scent is very persistent. We stay long time in the forest - with a lot of oakmoss, at the end. The sun at night. Pricklpuder.

Not modernist, not minimalist. Timeless classic, bright and flowery. And a little dreamy.
9.0 4.0 5.0 5.0/10

A Midsummer Snore
I find that Roja perfumes use really wonderful, fine ingredients, but the reason I don't own any is because in the big picture, they typically bore me. A Midsummer Dream is no exception and a blind-buy that I deeply regret. I figured that with the fine ingredients, I could not go wrong with this, but it went quite awry. The first few seconds are marvelous! They should set the stage for a wonderful act. I smell moss, greenery, sweet citrus, which gives the impression of softly glowing light. So magical, evocative and fitting of its name. It should be a chypre-lovers' dream! It's also powdery. It has a velvety texture that makes me think there must be some real orris butter in it. In this short-lived early stage, it reminds me of Vol de Nuit. I expected it to go earthier. But all too quickly, it moves into the short heart-phase, which smells like sweet, fruity bubblegum, utterly bizarre, before settling into a long, pitiful drydown of boring vanilla/citrus/vetiver that is not original. I don't get elemi resin nor moss after the first several seconds. No complexity for the few hours it lasts on the skin. The beautiful phase lasts 5 minutes max. Nearly $400 for this [sound of me crying]?! *THIS* is why I don't shell out for Roja. Won't do it again.
8.0 7.0 9.0 9.0/10

Guerroja
Sometimes I have the feeling that Mr. Dove didn't just get a little inspiration from Guerlain - from the Guerlains who have been worn for 100 years - and who sometimes give me the feeling that a tiny little bit of modernity might not do any harm after all. On the other hand, these old Guerlains are uncompromising, unmistakable - and those who have lost their hearts to "their" scent will not forget this love for the rest of their lives.
I don't know many Rojas, but some are for me like soft ironed, modernized Guerlains. That's how I feel about Midsummer Dream. It starts with fruity-herb-bitter, with a lot of light resin, almost a little too pungent and obtrusive to turn into a creamy, soapy floweriness. I need some patience for this fragrance because the first phase is actually not really mine. The soapiness, which is somewhat penetrating in between, disappears increasingly in the course of time, only to then conjure up to my surprise a wonderfully soft scent on the skin that remains constant for hours. And that, I must confess, is the moment when I also lose my heart a little to this "Midsummer Dream". As with other Rojas, after the fulminant and for me always somewhat intrusive start, it also becomes elegantly more discreet, the resins become softer and softer and a hint of moss and vetiver is added.
And for me this is the biggest difference to the Guerlains mentioned at the beginning. Where Guerlain reached into the moostopf with a lot of open-mindedness - and risked that the scent polarized and found not only friends - Roja goes the way of liking, of "not being scared".
I have applied Chant d'Arômes to my one arm as a comparison - and although I find this Guerlain to be a very delicate chypre, the oak moss is much more concise here - especially in comparison.
How would I decide if the two fragrances were in the same price range - or if Roja was available in 30 ml bottles? I think I would actually prefer the "Midsummer Dream" this time, because it develops in the course of a few hours into a flowery, resinous, creamy, tender direction that lingers on the skin for a very long time, while Chant d'Arômes retains its bitter note until the end - and unfortunately disappears relatively quickly with me. But I will continue to wear my Guerlain with great pleasure and appreciate my bottling of "Midsummer Dream" as a change.
What I really like about the Rojas that I test is the complex use of even opposing components, which sometimes work together very well and harmoniously and allow turns and surprises - and this sometimes very uninhibited old-fashionedness, which swims completely against the stream of the still omnipresent floral-fruity-sweet scents and the rather monothematic linear scents on the other side. I'm sure the connoisseurs among you will list many more brands and perfumers who stand out here in a similar direction, but for me it was by chance Roja I tripped over. And so far among the 9 or 10 Rojas I have tested there hasn't been a single one that I have found boring or mediocre.

Lexa 2 years ago
Listed as an unisex scent,being a vetiver and elemi resin based fragrance,A Midsummer Dream is more fit for a man in my opinion.+4
10.0

by CubaMike
by Marc32R
by Marc32R

Popular Roja Parfums

Amber Aoud by Roja Parfums Enigma pour Homme / Creation-E pour Homme (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Elysium pour Homme (Parfum Cologne) by Roja Parfums Diaghilev (Parfum) by Roja Parfums A Midsummer Dream by Roja Parfums Enigma pour Homme / Creation-E pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Roja Parfums Fetish pour Homme (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Aoud by Roja Parfums Danger (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Britannia (2016) by Roja Parfums Enslaved (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Amber by Roja Parfums Nüwa (2015) by Roja Parfums Ti Amo by Roja Parfums Amore Mio by Roja Parfums Vetiver (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Lilac by Roja Parfums Enigma / Creation-E (Parfum) by Roja Parfums United Arab Emirates by Roja Parfums Elysium pour Homme (Parfum) by Roja Parfums