Enslaved (2007) Parfum

Enslaved (Parfum) by Roja Parfums

Enslaved (Parfum) is a popular perfume by Roja Parfums for women and was released in 2007. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Roja Dove

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Lemon, Lime
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Geranium, Jasmine, Orange blossom, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Cedarwood, Labdanum, Musk, Oakmoss, Patchouli, Vanilla, Iris, Vetiver

Submitted by Feylamia, last update on 08.10.2018

Scent 8.0/10
Roja Dove really seems to apply his curator habilities also in his collection, in a kind of an attempt to preserve classics that may be destroyed with reformulations or may not exist anymore with discontinuations. I don't know if the current Habanita Parfum is still good, but Enslaved in parfum concentration really reminds Habanita. It has the dry, spicy tobacco accord, with honey nuances, with a drydown that is good woody vetiver. Between there seems to be something like heliotrope or tonka that gives the fragrance a slightly almond aura. It's quality stuff, expensive indeed and maybe it lacks the originality factor, but not the deepness and personality as said before.
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 9.0/10
My Only Real Chypre
While preparing for a future sniff-fest, I decided to search the perfume database on classic chypre notes to make sure I hadn't missed any chypre fragrances among my FBs and samples. According to everybody, those notes are: citrus (usually bergamot), cistus labdanum, oakmoss and musk.

What a surprise to discover that of the forty-seven I've gathered, only Enslaved has all the chypre notes. Not Chypre Rouge or Chypre Palatin, not even my adored vintage Chypre de Coty and Mitsuouko. Chypre de Coty has civet instead of musk. Mitsuouko has ambergris and per the notes pyramid, it has no labdanum. Can that be right? Time to investigate. Sniffing cistus labdanum from my perfumery notes kit. Now smelling Misuoko. Wow, I don't think it's there. Checking Fragrantica. Nope, Mitsuoko has no labdanum. Do classic chypres deviate from the classic definition or is Enslaved the only true chypre I have?

Personally I'd classify Enslaved as a Chypre/Oriental, missing only a classic oriental's amber, but labdanum stands in nicely for that. Wait, I think I read that many ambers used in perfumes are really a combination of labdanum and vanilla? Okay, then check. It has amber.

Enslaved certainly smells like both genres, has a chypre's dry haunting allure, an oriental's exuberant luxury -- both muted in this case, yet the result is satisfying. I suppose Enslaved is especially good for non-extremists who want to smell terrific without knocking others over with their scent.

In the years I have left to smell things, I seek the glorious reek. Give me the original Mitsuoko, give me Bal à Versailles. I pursued them both with breathless passion, not caring one whit what they cost. When I looked up Enslaved, I decided it was too expensive. Or maybe it's just very British, like its designer, Roja Dove.

One day when I'm finished buying everything else I think I'll adore, I might consider owning the beautifully reserved Enslaved, my (apparently) only true chypre.

p.s. Now I see it's musk that's eliminating so many from my chypre database search. When I search on the basic accord of bergamot-labdanum-oakmoss, a few more perfumes show up. Still, many chypre fragrances don't contain all of those three, Mitsuoko being a prime example.

• by Labormaus by Labormaus
  • by Nashulian by Nashulian
  • by Sumi by Sumi

Popular Roja Parfums

Amber Aoud by Roja Parfums Enigma pour Homme / Creation-E pour Homme (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Diaghilev (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Enigma pour Homme / Creation-E pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Roja Parfums A Midsummer Dream by Roja Parfums Aoud by Roja Parfums Fetish pour Homme (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Danger (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Enslaved (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Amber by Roja Parfums Elysium pour Homme (Parfum Cologne) by Roja Parfums Britannia (2016) by Roja Parfums Nüwa (2015) by Roja Parfums Ti Amo by Roja Parfums Amore Mio by Roja Parfums Enigma / Creation-E (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Vetiver (Parfum) by Roja Parfums Lilac by Roja Parfums United Arab Emirates by Roja Parfums Innuendo / Creation-I (Parfum) by Roja Parfums