Sultan 2018

Sultan by Royal Crown
Sultan is a popular perfume by Royal Crown for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is sweet-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesBourbon vanilla absoluteBourbon vanilla absolute DateDate CedarCedar FruitsFruits
Heart Notes Heart NotesCistusCistus Moroccan roseMoroccan rose Jasmine absoluteJasmine absolute
Base Notes Base NotesBorneo oudBorneo oud Mysore sandalwoodMysore sandalwood SaffronSaffron MyrrhMyrrh

Submitted by Taskphorce, last update on 22.06.2022.

The soulstealer
I had been looking to break into both end-game and lesser-known niche perfumery for a while, once I had established a significant foothold in and understanding for several mainstream niche brands like Marly, Initio, Xerjoff etc. Royal Crown was atop the pyramid as an end-game brand through a combination of pricing and notoriety, but exposure to the house was difficult as they don't sell samples directly and their customer support... well, let's just say they're not all that active.

Writing this review today, it all came back to me. My first experience with Sultan was in London. I was surprised to find out that Roja Dove is a fan of the house and sells it in his Haute Parfumerie on the top floor in Harrods (Knightsbridge in London). I went through the six bottles that were on the stall on strips, one-at-a-time, beginning with Sultan and Khan, then moving to Ytzma and Rose Masquat, and lastly to Rain and Ambrosia. Sultan and Khan impressed even on paper, but as I moved to the fresher profiles, the less impressed I became with the house. A bit like meeting your heroes and they're not everything you had hoped. I'm still waiting to get a true feel for the house once they begin offering samples because blind-buying a 50ml for €400+ requires quite the courage.

But the strips weren't where my experience with Sultan ended. I went back the next day and asked the VERY friendly salesman for a full wear. After the green light, I started to apply the scent. 3 on both sleeves, 1 on each side of the neck, 2 on the back of the neck, all of it on the dress shirt that I was wearing to the team meeting with my employer in an hour. I closed my eyes and it engulfed me, it filled my soul.

Sultan's profile is rare in perfumery - it is a true end-game gourmand. What floats around in the air is a dense, sweet cloud. Very heavy on the vanilla and amber, does not have boozy or floral aspects to it. The base is a very different type of balsamic/medicinal wood that is effectively never used in gourmand scents.

It was only after leaving Harrods that I had realized that my spraying was not just aggressive, but also excessive. Walking through central London, I could not even escape my own scent cloud. It helps being a confident extravert, because I got looks, a lot of looks. I took the tube (London's version of a metro/underground) back to Victoria. In the carts/wagons of the tube, keeping the window slightly down at the end of the cart is encouraged for better ventilation. The experience in the store was one thing, but standing there, even next to the slightly tilted-down window in a hot metro, it took Sultan to a whole new level. It was a type of sillage and strength that I had never experienced. To the raggedly-clothed man that stood opposite of me for 5 minutes before lowering the window to the bottom, my sincerest of apologies.

Few stand at the top as it relates to gourmand fragrances. There are two scents that I've tried which do this much - Kilian's "Intoxicated" and Roja's "Sweetie Aoud". If you've tried either of these two, you'd have a fair understanding for what Sultan is able to achieve at the peak of its powers. I was browsing other websites to see comparables and the top two on the other primary website were Initio's Absolute Aphrodisiac and Atelier des Ors' Lune Feline. I tried Lune Feline also in Harrods at Roja's Parfumerie and I would say the two have more similarities than differences in terms of the sweet top, but start to separate after that point. The Initio actually does a lot of the same as Sultan - it opens with sweetness and burnt caramel in the air, but up close smells like cough syrup, comparable to the medicinal/balsamic base of Sultan. Absolute Aphrodisiac leans more feminine to me.

I don't feel the need to spend time on most of the ratings for Sultan - we are talking an elite end-game gourmand with huge sillage and great longevity, these three 10/10s were earned. The bottles of Royal Crown, to me, are among top 2 for niche with the lovely crown caps that have the encrusted jewels in them. The only other house whose packaging I love this much is Xerjoff. The bottle actually doesn't tell the whole story either because you get this incredible case as well, just like Xerjoff. What I do want to discuss is price because Royal Crown sells the 100ml for €579. While I feel comfortable with the $ paid, I objectively cannot say that this is more than good value. Once you get into this price bracket and you don't have the $ to constantly buy at this price point, I don't think you'll ever feel like you got 10/10 for your money. If you like the Initio or the Atelier des Ors just slightly less for 2/5 the money, Sultan becomes a luxury. The only question is what is that luxury worth to you?

Top Vanilla Gourmand
Warm, balsamic, slightly creamy vanilla-amber with a soft undertone of dried fruits and incense, perhaps burning wood chips. Not really a complicated scent profile but IMO the only one that gets the formula right. Everything else is too smoky, or too sweet, or too spicy... or too one-dimensional as in something like Tihota or Grand Soir. This is just a warm vanilla with exactly the right touch of supporting notes. Slowly gets fruitier as it dries down. Moderate projection that peaks around 90min and peters out after 3-4hr, 8-10hr longevity.

Reminds me most of Lune Feline but with less smoke and spice, which I love because Lune Feline was too smoky for me. Same with By the Fireplace, which is more sugary sweet and goes pure smoke on my skin. Prada LR Black with less powder and more vanilla. Lacks the green accord and freshness of Ani. Smells nothing like the bowl of melted ice cream that is Tihota.

Ptsau
A very high quality & unique gourmand!
Quality beautiful scent! So unique and classy! It does remind me of Lune Feline at first but they’re actually so different when you compare side by side. Lune Feline is more gourmand and the cardamom is so strong. It projects so much louder than Sultan. Sultan is somewhat gourmand but not so gourmand even there’s sweetness in it. There is prominent warm smoky cedar that makes it smell like you’re inside the sauna room. The oud note is pretty obvious and not so animalic while Lune Feline has no Oud in it. I never smelled something like this before. Very beautiful! It is a 10/10 scent. The only thing I can complain is the projection only moderate at its cost. It lasts very long about 12+ hours but stay closer to my skin. It last weeks on my clothes. It is highly concentrated and has divine quality with lots of natural (I can even detect the real oud in it) so it worth the price although it is really pricey.

by Cme
by Cme

Popular by Royal Crown

Upper Class by Royal Crown Oud Al Melka by Royal Crown Oud Jasmin by Royal Crown Tabac Royal by Royal Crown Al Kimiya' by Royal Crown Habanos by Royal Crown Imperator by Royal Crown Ytzma by Royal Crown Reflextion by Royal Crown Oud Santal by Royal Crown Celebration by Royal Crown Noor by Royal Crown My Oud by Royal Crown Les Petites Coquins by Royal Crown Ambrosia by Royal Crown Rose Masqat by Royal Crown Khan by Royal Crown So Gold by Royal Crown Rain by Royal Crown Poudre de Fleurs by Royal Crown