Acqua Essenziale Colonia 2015

Acqua Essenziale Colonia by Salvatore Ferragamo
Acqua Essenziale Colonia is a perfume by Salvatore Ferragamo for men and was released in 2015. The scent is fresh-citrusy. It was last marketed by Salvatore Ferragamo Group. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
Clary sageClary sage
Base Notes Base NotesAmbroxanAmbroxan
Tonka beanTonka bean
Haitian vetiverHaitian vetiver

Submitted by Michael, last update on 18.09.2021.

Jason Makki Men’s Salon Atmosphere
I’ve been in the habit of watching a few videos on the Watch section of Facebook for some time before falling asleep. Well, I love the videos of HeXtian. This brilliant artist transforms a simple Barbie-like doll into a reproduction of a famous character, changing the hair, the body, the clothes, but above all, the make-up thoroughly. I find it thrilling. But besides these videos, I also often follow those of Jason Makki, a hairstylist & senior barber known for sharing styling tutorials, time-lapses of his cuts, and a variety of Grooming Hair MakeOver videos. Why did I tell you about that? Because the Acqua Essenziale Colonia by Salvatore Ferragamo is a refined and modern fragrance with a pleasant barber scent. I imagine I smell this perfume when entering Jason Makki Men’s salon in Dubai.

The scent is the third in the brand’s fragrance collection, and this one mainly combines aromatic, aquatic, woody, and fougére accords. At first, it welcomes me like a classic eau de cologne, a fresh green, semi-tart barber’s scent, with an abundance of white citrus blossoms. If you like colognes like Echt Kölnisch Wasser Eau de Cologne, you should know what I mean. A well-recognizable note of brilliant Italian bergamot blends with honeyed orange blossom, perhaps some other citrus peel, and they release a pleasantly fresh and tart aroma. I can barely feel the spiciness of the coriander, just a hint of harshness from the green leaves. Instead, after the zestiness has subsided, a watery atmosphere oozes, neither salty nor marine, more like the freshwater droplets of an unforeseen summer storm. A singular olfactory signature, with ozonic and aromatic notes, accompanies a light and an elegant hint of orange bloom.

Over time, it changes into a soapy and clean vibe. In the heart, I get a loud clary sage note. Compared to the other Eau de colognes I have or I know, this one is featuring sage in the heart instead of rosemary, thyme, or any other aromatic herbs. That’s what makes Acqua Essenziale Colonia something apart. The balminess grows and mixes with a floral lavender. Now orange blossom shines and screams at its best, while citrus moves in the background.

As it dries down, I get hints of soapy vetiver, here replacing the patchouli of the original cologne, mixed with the heart trail notes, making the whole thing smell like Italian soap. Ambroxan smells very pleasant with an oceanic and mineral undertone to it., is there, but it’s muted. I thought that Acqua Essenziale Colonia was a vetiver scent, but not a firm presence in this scent. Ultimately, there is a sweet and roasted tonka, here as a complementary note that balances the salty ambergris and the earthy vetiver.

I appreciate the composition, and it would make a good office scent. Let’s not the name “Cologne” fools you because this is an EDT and has a respectable duration and projection, approximately half a day on my skin. Sillage is moderate while longevity leans towards intensely. The cologne-like aroma makes it preferable during the warm months, Sprint and Summer are the right seasons. The whole concoction in this fragrance ends up smelling like a delicate Italian soap, and I enjoy it. It has an old-school sort of feel to it I enjoy. Fresh, aromatic, citrus, a bit woody and a tad spicy, that’s it. I am proud of Alberto Morillas's work, the Acqua Essenziale trilogy is sublime and the colognes differ from one another.

This review is based on a 100ml bottle I have owned since June 2017.

-Elysium

Essenziale !
An incredible fragrance by master Alberto Morillas, with a nose marked by aquatic and citrus notes, of bergamot, orange blossom, sage and lavender. The latter gives a spicy aroma, with notes are well mixed.

A fresh scent to use and abuse in spring or summer.

Very good!
Presentation: 8/10
Scent: 8/10
Longevity: 8:10
Silage: 7:10
Value for money: 9/10

Smells like Mafia Spirit
Ferragamo Acqua Essenziale colonia is hands down one of my best summer fragrances. It's simply magnificent. From the juicy bergamot, Manly lavender and the modern Ambroxan this fragrance brings some classic notes and modernises them. Perfect for formal situations in high heat.

Aspvl
Refreshing and slightly funky?
Very refreshing and quite similar to Lapidus PH Sport.

The orange blossom is constructed in a very similar way. Lapidus PH Sport is a bit soapier and includes incense and basil which make it a little more interesting to my nose. Despite this, I do prefer the drydown of Acqua Essenziale Colonia. It reminds me a bit of powdered detergent OMO, which I love!

Italia does Sauvage
Perhaps it was a coincidence that both Acqua Essenziale Colonia and Dior’s Sauvage edt were released in the same year, because I can’t help but think that if Dior was an Italian brand, this is what Sauvage would smell like (notice the similarity in notes??)

To me, the opening is extremely reminiscent of an herbal green soap - definitely along the lines of AdP’s Colonia but nowhere near the authenticity. There’s no blast of alcohol (a surprise to be sure from a relatively cheap fragrance), but a sharp bergamot comes out in full force with clary sage and perhaps a tinge of orange blossom to give it an almost petitgrain quality. I absolutely love the opening and wish it would stick around for longer, but within 2 minutes, the fragrance begins to make some weighty turns.

As the greenness quickly overtakes the citrus, it brings in a slight minty affair (along the lines of a lavender leaf) and combines with the emerging aquatic notes to produce an interesting aroma that to me, is reminiscent of bad breath. You read correctly. There’s something in the blend on skin (definitely a product of lavender and something else) that gives it a weird funk during the transition at about the 5 minute mark. Fortunately, it only lasts for about 8-10 minutes before the sweet tonka breaks through and produces that ever-so-contemporary contrast between citrus and heady sweet notes.

Fifteen minutes in, the contrast peaks with a sharp, orangey bergamot and clary sage on one end, and a sweet tonka and amboxan (aka sugar water) on the other. And now for the coolest part - amidst the eye of the hurricane, a smooth lavender note lovingly bisects the two ends and squeezes them all together into a single blend. The end result is a sweet, quasi-barbershop combination of lavender and tonka, lying on a bed of powdery greenery and ambroxan. Whew. What a ride.

Of course, there are a few tiny hints of that bad-breath odour that peek through at about the 30-40 minute mark but they dissipate rather quickly (never to return) to be replaced by that soapy vibe once again. Total longevity is about 4-5 hours on me, but that's to be expected from a freshie.

Overall though, the general vibe I get is of a traditional Italian green-lavender soap made “modern” by immersing it in ambroxany sugar water. I know, I know. It is even worth mentioning anymore? I suppose the traditional nature of the fragrance could remind some people of grandma’s bathroom, toilet cleaner, or the disinfected tiles of a european barbershop, but to me, it’s far more understated and perhaps even a little too much so.

Personally, as far as Italian-leaning inexpensive fragrances go, I slighlty prefer Ferrari’s Bright Neroli, and for just a little more – Intenso by D&G. At the very least, both will give you better projection and despite preferring the smell of both Acqua Essenziale Blu and the original, neither will give you that soapy vibe that Colonia has in spades. A simple fragrance, sure, maybe even a little boring, but I’m keeping my bottle just so I can continue experiencing that awesome introduction – an opening…..I can’t refuse.

MrTee
An absolute hot weather gem!
This fragrance is an absolute stunner. Another masterful creation from Alberto Morillas.

I've been testing it for the past few days and I find it to be an enjoyable, mood lifting fougere fragrance. Based on my personal experience, it is best when it's applied right after that morning shower. The soapiness vibe in this fragrance, keeps you feeling refreshed for many hours even when its really hot.
Season: Spring/Summer
Time of Day: Best from Morning to Late Afternoon. Evening wearable too.
Presentation: 9/10
Scent: 9/10
Longevity: 8:10
Silage: 7:10
Value for money: 9/10

A Fresh Aquatic Citrus Scent
SOTD (Scent of the Day): Salvatore Ferragamo Acqua Essenziale Colonia EDT

An awesome aquatic/citrus fragrance, from the opening to my nose scent already the aquatic and citrus notes, like the bergamot, orange blossom and as well I detect the sage and lavender which gives that spicy vibe in my opinion, it will be my staple to my summer rotation, notes are well blended. A freshie office scent as well and is a must buy. Probably in my top ten of fragrances for spring/summer.

Rating

Scent: 8.25/10
Design/Presentation: 8/10
Value: 8.5/10
Longevity/Performance: 9/10: 8-10 sprays: Lasted on my skin/skin scent around between 12-15+ hrs
Overall: 8.25/10

Spring-Aquatic Winner
This stuff is one of my favorites for daily use. The opening is a bit "soapy", but not in a bad way. Then it changes in to a fresh spring/summer scent with a bit of soap in the background. The bergomot here is really nice, as is the dry-down, which is pretty unique and amazing smelling--hard to describe. My only complaint is that at times the Clary Sage is a bit too overpowering to the point where it is imbalanced, but then it calms down again. I love sage anyways because it reminds me of nature walks. The sillage and projection is pretty good for a few hours, and it lasts as a very nice skin scent for about 6-7 hours for me. All in all, a good one, and quite unique. It's kind of an aquatic spring scent, and quite well made.

Nik604Nik604 1 month ago
Smells like 75 old pensions playing chest. Mehh
ElysiumElysium 5 months ago
A modern interpretation of the classic Eau de Cologne, which revolves around aromatic sage, salty amber, and a riot of Hesperides. Gorgeous.
Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 6 months ago
A classy gentlemans fragrance in the Acqua di parma style
KingPinKingPin 2 years ago
Classic generic aquatic summer scent. Not bad but there are thousands like it.
MrTeeMrTee 2 years ago
This is another awesome creation by the masterful Alberto Morillas. It has a very unique vipe to it, perfect for the Sprint/Summer season

by Elysium
by Elysium
by OvidiuH
by OvidiuH
by DuftKoloss
by DuftKoloss

Popular Salvatore Ferragamo

Tuscan Soul - Terra Rossa (Eau de Toilette) by Salvatore Ferragamo Amo Ferragamo (Eau de Parfum) by Salvatore Ferragamo Uomo (Eau de Toilette) by Salvatore Ferragamo Uomo Signature by Salvatore Ferragamo F by Ferragamo pour Homme Black (Eau de Toilette) by Salvatore Ferragamo Tuscan Soul - Viola Essenziale (Eau de Toilette) by Salvatore Ferragamo Salvatore Ferragamo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Salvatore Ferragamo Signorina Misteriosa by Salvatore Ferragamo F by Ferragamo pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Salvatore Ferragamo Tuscan Creations - Testa di Moro / Tuscan Scent - Incense Suede by Salvatore Ferragamo Tuscan Scent - Golden Acacia by Salvatore Ferragamo Emozione (Eau de Parfum) by Salvatore Ferragamo Signorina Ribelle (Eau de Parfum) by Salvatore Ferragamo Emozione Dolce Fiore (Eau de Toilette) by Salvatore Ferragamo Signorina Eleganza (Eau de Parfum) by Salvatore Ferragamo Tuscan Scent - White Mimosa by Salvatore Ferragamo Tuscan Soul - Vendemmia (Eau de Toilette) by Salvatore Ferragamo Uomo Casual Life (Eau de Toilette) by Salvatore Ferragamo Salvatore Ferragamo pour Femme (Eau de Parfum) by Salvatore Ferragamo Tuscan Creations - Calimala / Tuscan Scent - Leather Rose by Salvatore Ferragamo