Acqua di Sicilia

Acqua di Sicilia by Santa Maria Novella
Acqua di Sicilia is a popular perfume by Santa Maria Novella for women and men. The release year is unknown. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCalabrian bergamot, Sicilian lemon, Neroli
Heart Notes Heart NotesPetitgrain, Rosemary
Base Notes Base NotesSumatra benzoin

Submitted by Ripieno, last update on 13.01.2021.

Neukölln 16: Sicilian Vespers
Technically speaking, the Sicilian Vespers is not a pleasant evening snack or snack, but rather a massacre of the French occupiers in Palermo in 1282, which began on Easter Monday at the time of the Vespers prayer. However, there is no reason for bloody Boadicean concern about this commentary. It is really only about culinary impressions, which this fragrance, although originating from Florence in Tuscany, but named after Sicily, evokes.

In my opinion, Acqua the Sicilia, although it can be recognized as a classic cologne and has a rather traditional pyramid of scents, is quite a distance away from the well-known Farina 4711 standard.

For me, this is first of all because it comes across as very lemony (despite the orange ingredients doubled with neroli and petitgrain). But that shouldn't lead to the assumption that something is sour here and would make your facial features derail. There is also no sign of a light yellow, almost white, cold and crystalline sharpness. The opposite of all this is the case. We are talking about such juicy, dark yellow, fleshy lemons that they have become almost sweet when they are ripe. Whether this is botanically possible, I don't know, in any case it is my olfapoietic impression. If we want to move on a scientifically less fluctuating ground, we can also try the idea of lavishly candied lemons from a Sicilian confectionery, perhaps to be enjoyed with a glass of cold water and a bitter caffè, or to be baked in a Christmas panettone. It is as if the orange notes are not perceived here on their own (in fact nothing here smells of tangerine or orange), but (probably in combination with Sumatran benzoin, to which a "creamy-sweet" aroma is attributed) they only miraculously transform the bergatronics into sweetness and fullness.

The second outstanding characteristic of the fragrance is the impression of shady, wooded, green-tufted, almost misty coolness, as already described by Yatagan in his commentary, which cannot be supplemented any more, however the (business) descendants of the monks of S.M. Novella have mastered to evoke this impression of the fragrance.

Although I like this summery picnic with candied lemons in a shady Sicilian forest very much, the scent of the lemons ultimately gives me top marks. For while I have nothing to remember against the sweet aspect of benzoin here, I bump into the slightly vanilla-creamy note, which the fragrance doesn't only have at its base. Maybe it's time for me to come to the realization that I prefer the cool-crystalline versions of Colognes.

In addition, and I hesitate and tremble to say it, there is another case in which (albeit in an extremely weak version) my high enjoyment of a cologne is denatured by a discreetly resonating, background note of boiled sausage. It is now the fourth or fifth time that I come to this finding (always only with citric colognes) and I cannot explain it to myself. Maybe it is just a genetically determined individual misperception (like colour blindness) with me regarding some ingredient that is often used in colognes, and not a negative quality feature. Therefore readers should not be put off by this aspect. But since I can only describe the fragrance as I perceive it, I want to give credit to sincerity and not sweep this salsiccia misperception under the monastery carpet.

I can remain silent about this highly interesting brand, since many reviewers of SMN fragrances have already written something about it, including myself in my review on Colonia Russa. It remains to be added that the packaging in the beautiful flacons is a bit confusing, because apparently sometimes those are used on which "Acqua di Sicilia" is written on, but sometimes also those on which only "Acqua di Colonia" is written on, these should then be universally usable containers (for several colognes of the company).
The nose says: Wow!
Actually, the beginning of autumn is not necessarily the right season to approach a citric fragrance......but as chance would have it, it came right under my nose today.....

And the nose says: Wow! If you think that "Kölnisch Wasser" is just "cologne" you will be taught a better lesson :-)...

Just like the previous speakers, I too am overwhelmed by this juicy, rich, lush and fully ripe lemon, which stimulates the salivary flow just by smelling it......one could almost think that the refreshing juice literally drips out of it......but without sticking!!!
I find the quiet herbaceous accompanying melody really special and extremely pleasant.......Yatagan has already expressed this feeling absolutely aptly with the term "providing shade"......I would like to agree completely........

I am particularly taken with the resinous and very discreetly sweet base......while at the beginning you could still hear the "ice cubes" clink, they have now melted.....the shimmering heat of the day glides gently over into the pleasant warmth of the late afternoon and early evening......

Among the many citrus scents that exist, Acqua di Sicilia is a really very special one :-).......

Sun and shade
A few years ago I visited Sicily for the first time and was thrilled: by the beauty of the cities and the landscape, by the Roman excavations and above all by the view of the sea. Our holiday home was elevated and every evening I looked at the setting sun.
Santa Maria Novellas Acqua di Sicilia captures this atmosphere. Nearly perfect.
Of course, for really hot days only a cologne comes into question for me anyway, and in Sicily it can get so hot that at lunchtime in front of the cathedral of Noto or at the Fonte Aretusa in Siracusa one almost gets grilled despite the proximity of the water. For this reason, in Italy the less ecological custom of artificial water mist has been developing for some time: From nozzles, usually above parasols, a fine mist of cool water escapes, which makes the stay in hot places wonderfully bearable. If, as a fair-skinned Central European, you have made it from the amphitheatre of Taormina below the Etna with your last ounce of strength into the barely cooler alleys of the old town, you may be glad about such a typical Italian achievement, which we hopefully will not need in Germany for a longer time despite dramatically advancing climate change.
Really successful eau de cologne can give exactly this impression on hot summer days: standing in the middle of a cool drizzle. Even Acqua die Sicilia can do this, because petitgrain, bergamot, lemon and neroli do their job, adding a shady herbaceous nuance, but at the same time, the subtle resinous note creates the impression of a sunny landscape that slowly begins to cool down again after the heat of midday.
Santa Maria Novella rarely disappoints me, but I'm really excited about this fragrance.
You have to like cologne with a dark shadow. Then this one is right.

Popular Santa Maria Novella

Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano (Eau de Cologne) by Santa Maria Novella Porcellana by Santa Maria Novella Città di Kyoto by Santa Maria Novella Muschio by Santa Maria Novella Melograno (Eau de Cologne) by Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella Vetiver (Eau de Cologne) by Santa Maria Novella Fieno by Santa Maria Novella Lavanda Ambrata by Santa Maria Novella Cala Rossa by Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella Ottone by Santa Maria Novella Zagara by Santa Maria Novella Ginestra by Santa Maria Novella Marescialla by Santa Maria Novella Ambra by Santa Maria Novella Tuberosa by Santa Maria Novella Lana by Santa Maria Novella Pot-Pourri by Santa Maria Novella