Acqua di Colonia - Città di Kyoto (2005)

Acqua di Colonia - Città di Kyoto by Santa Maria Novella

Acqua di Colonia - Città di Kyoto is a popular perfume by Santa Maria Novella for women and men and was released in 2005. The scent is woody-smoky. It is still in production.

Ylang-ylang, Bergamot, Jasmine, Orange, Lotus, Florentine iris

Submitted by Ripieno, last update on 16.02.2019

The fragrance was created for the 40th anniversary of the town twinning Florence - Kyoto.

7.5 5.0 5.0 8.0/10

East wind - west wind
Even as a young girl I was fascinated by the simplicity of Japanese spaces. At that time I wished to be able to furnish my later apartment in this style. Well, at 15 you don't think about how to heat rooms with paper walls, nor where to put all that stuff if you don't have cupboards. The only thing that has remained of these dreamers is the aversion against dust catchers of any kind and decorations for the apartment may only ever move in as a single piece and then always only one at a time with me. I'd rather take turns.

I'm not quite sure, but I think my love for the books of Pearl S. Buck was not innocent of this phase. Today she is also accused of having written more trivial literature - she has that in common with Rosamunde Pilcher. But I can remember that I devoured especially "The women of the house Wu" or "Ostwind - Westwind". Of course, I did not envy the torments the main character suffers because of their tied feet. Even today, 13 books dream of Pearl S. Buck on my bookshelf. I think I'll do it again.

Città di Kyoto, of course, was created much later to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the twinning of Florence and Kyoto. So this fragrance is understandably not a Mediterranean feeling to experience, but the fragrance reminds me much more of L`original by A. Putman. For me he embodies the simple beauty of Japanese rooms or ink drawings and lets me breathe a sigh of relief.

Since our Japanese customers either used very light fragrances or loved everything that came from France, I'm not sure if Città di Kyoto would have met their taste, because the fragrance captivates with clarity, clean floral notes and actually a hint of woodiness in the base, but amazes me with its unexpected durability, at least on my skin. The Italian perfumers have obviously taken the trick, because the pyramid sounds much more flowery and violent than the fragrance is, but accompanies me for many hours with its almost meditative aura.

The issue of partnership between East and West is well illustrated here. Italian craftsmanship meets Asian ambience, and Santa Maria Novella is not the only perfume to show all its skills.
7.5 5.0 10.0/10

treasures from the attic
Citta di Kyoto is one of the most recent releases (2004) of a house that claims a continuous production since 1612. Anyone who is familiar with their releases knows that they are quirky, not always easy to wear but always come through as unpretentious, clear and yet sophisticated fragrances. So how is this managing with its recent releases? In one word, perfectly.

Citta di Kyoto was released to celebrate the 40 year old affiliation of Florence and Kyoto and what better way to do that than combining notes of florentine iris and japanese lotus. I must admit I am not familiar with how lotus smells but had I read the official note listing I would have been put off: “The perfume opens with vibrant, fruity and fresh top notes of jasmine and ylang-ylang, which are punctuated by the deeper hints of bergamot and orange. These are followed by base notes of Florentine iris and lotus”. No, no, no, no! It starts with a magnificent paint diluent note (admittedly this can be attributed to ylang ylang as it sometimes has a mentholated aspect)that quickly fades into the driest, palest, softest cedar. The most opulent orris butter kicks in to smooth out the rough woody surface. The overall effect is that of velvety, dusty suede. It makes me think of smelling uncooked rice. Much to my astonishment this is listed as a feminine scent which together with the official description are doing a great job at restricting this fragrance’s target group. This is dry, woody, leathery iris at its best and Dzongkha lovers please give this a try. In another perfume world Citta di Kyoto could very well pass as a masculine version of Equistrius. It wears close to the skin, feels like it sinks into the skin and radiates from there but it has an exceptional longevity even though it is an eau de cologne.

Notes from my nose: paint diluent, cedar, butter, iris, rice, incense tears

Verbena 3 years ago
The gentle powdery breath of mellow bloom, wood, smoke, and leather. A scent displaying noblesse and delicate beauty.+2
9.0