Melograno 1965 Eau de Cologne

Melograno (Eau de Cologne) by Santa Maria Novella
Melograno (Eau de Cologne) is a popular perfume by Santa Maria Novella for and was released in 1965. The scent is floral-chypre. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
PatchouliPatchouli
OpoponaxOpoponax
AmberAmber
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by Ripieno, last update on 12.10.2021.

Surprising twists
After Ginestra, Melograno is the second fragrance from the house of Santa Maria Novella that has moved in with me. And like Ginestra, Melograno is for me a typical fragrance for the warmer seasons. If I had to assign a color here, Melograno would be the warm, golden yellow of the late summer sunset, with a hint of orange. Maybe I'm influenced by the color in the bottle...?

Melograno is a fragrance that always surprises me, because it changes a lot on my skin as it goes on. All the twists and turns please me well, but you could almost make three fragrances out of it.

Melograno starts out bright, fruity-floral, slightly spicy with a damp-mossy note. It's hard for me to pick out individual flowers - I don't smell any roses, anyway. I wonder if what I perceive as fruity here is the pomegranate? Do not know, it is tart-fruity and I like it!

The first change in the scent happens quite quickly. It becomes noticeably greener and a strong soapy component joins in. Herbal soap is my spontaneous association and that is in no way meant negatively. I like herbal soaps a lot, but that aside...it smells quite simply great, subtly spicy. And again, I'm surprised at the turn the scent takes.

Towards the end, Melograno becomes powdery, warm and very soft and then stays that way. I would not have expected that after the soapy excursion then so. Also this aspect pleases me well.

Which of the three fragrance strands is the most beautiful for me? Very difficult to answer and is also dependent on the form of the day. If I had to choose now, that would probably be the second and third change, both in strong competition with each other.

All in all, Melograno always remains discreet, Yes I know, it is also an Eau de Cologne, there one should assume that this is rather no expansive fragrance. So Melograno remains quite close to one, without being weak on the chest. It takes a few hours until he then completely runs out of steam.

Melograno is a really nice fragrance, not only for the warm season. It is refreshing, without those fresh citrusy aspects that so many of the summer scents have. It's not sweet, more of a subtle tart spicy. And I've worn it in cooler temperatures by now. A soft chypre, that's my conclusion.

Melograno is also like a bit out of time, nostalgic, almost old-fashioned looking. I saw that there is not only soap but also body powder with this scent. Well, since I also already know what will haunt me the next time in the head around...

A Glorious Green Chypre
What a surprise: Santa Maria Novella MELOGRANO is a glorious green chypre! The green is so intense as to be almost galbanum-like. The oakmoss is also quite detectable. Despite the name, what is not readily evident is the pomegranate. I've spent some time with my nose to my wrist attempting to find the pomegranate, but my commitment to truth in reviewing obliges me to confess that I cannot tease out any pomegranate from the intense chypre elements of this perfume.

Maybe I could imagine pomegranate as detectable here, if I really, really tried, but I would never, ever, have guessed that it was present in a mystery scent vial trial. No, this is unequivocally a green chypre! It may as well be called grapefruit or banana or cherry or melon--all would be every bit as appropriate as pomegranate, it seems.

But enough about the name. This smells great! I definitely recommend MELOGRANO for testing by anyone who loves classic chypres. People who are looking for an intensely red-pomegranate-stained perfume may, on the other hand, be disappointed.

DimitrakounDimitrakoun 2 years ago
A dusty burst of awesomeness

by Susan
by Jersey
by Dalma
by Dalma
by Tar
With painting of Paál László, a bit damp bottle (taken out from the fridge)
by tIgerknurren
by tIgerknurren

Popular Santa Maria Novella

Porcellana by Santa Maria Novella Città di Kyoto by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella Muschio by Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano (Eau de Cologne) by Santa Maria Novella Cala Rossa by Santa Maria Novella Vetiver (Eau de Cologne) by Santa Maria Novella Fieno by Santa Maria Novella Ottone by Santa Maria Novella Rosa Novella by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Sicilia by Santa Maria Novella Peau d'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella Lavanda Ambrata by Santa Maria Novella Fresia by Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella Alba di Seoul by Santa Maria Novella Ambra by Santa Maria Novella Patchouli (Eau de Cologne) by Santa Maria Novella Ginestra by Santa Maria Novella Lana by Santa Maria Novella