Acqua di Colonia - Peau d'Espagne (1901)

Acqua di Colonia - Peau d'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella

Acqua di Colonia - Peau d'Espagne is a popular perfume by Santa Maria Novella for men and was released in 1901. The scent is spicy-leathery. It is still in production.

Birch, Leather, Linaloe

Submitted by Ripieno, last update on 19.10.2018

2.5 5.0 7.5 9.0/10

Being a part of nature
I love this beast so hard it can make me cry of joy. Bold, wild and hard, still with a soapy floral herbal side. I've got many unexpected commentaries wearing this one ( a couple of sprays only). I gave a 10ml decant to a shy female coworker who surprisingly asked me to write the perfume's name and insisted in how evocative it was for her. Perfect for fall. It makes me feel like part of nature and history. Only for green animalic leather lovers.
5.0 7.5 7.5 6.0/10

Challenging Camphorous Leather...
Peau d'Espagne opens with an almost camphorous mix of heavy herbs, creating a menthol-like accord. It is quite challenging, but not unpleasant. This open very slowly recedes but never dissipates, instead allowing a rather strong birch leather note to emerge and take the fore. By this time the overall scent is much more wearable and enjoyable. I have a hard time identifying any other individual notes here, as the herbal mix still obscures a lot of anything else the scent has to offer. Projection is good, and longevity is above average.

Peau d'Espagne is definitely not my kind of leather scent. That said, I don't dislike it either. The opening is tough to get through due to that herbal eucalyptus mix that is just downright potent. If you can make it past the opening and early heart notes, then there is a decent leather here to discover... The problem is I fear most, myself included will not want to experience the couple hours of Peau d'Espagne in order to get the relatively good payoff much later when there are so many good leather offerings on the market, both classic and contemporary. I definitely think Peau d'Espagne is a nice scent in its own way and recommend a sniff to leather fans, but I think I will keep to more pleasant leathers like Cuiron and Cuir Pleine Fleur. I give Peau d'Espagne a 3 out of 5 rating and a strong neutral.

by MrFumejunkie
by MrFumejunkie
by Carlossp
A classic and soft leather