Peau d'Espagne 1901

Peau d'Espagne by Santa Maria Novella
Peau d'Espagne is a popular perfume by Santa Maria Novella for men and was released in 1901. The scent is spicy-leathery. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCalabrian bergamot, Jasmine
Heart Notes Heart NotesViolet leaf, Hawthorn
Base Notes Base NotesBirch wood

Submitted by Ripieno, last update on 21.10.2020.

Dark Beauty!
I spent 2 weeks in August in Florence, and this was the only scent from Santa Maria Novella that survived for more than a quarter of an hour in the Tuscan heat. Very dry, with nothing sweet that my nostrils can detect, it makes me nostalgically happy, dreaming of an imaginary past that superposes the idyllic images of Florence and the elegance of the people who wore this scent when it was launched, back in 1801. Leather, smoky and woody is what sums it up for me. Manliness and simplicity. Dark beauty!
Leko
Noble "Spaniard" who touches the heart
Fragrances are always a matter of taste and they touch every person differently. My first impression of Acqua di Colonia - Peau d'Espagne was very positive. He greeted me spicy, fresh and flowery and yes, a little bit of Spain is already flaring up there. In spite of the freshness, something heavy resonates with or rather complex with...

Just the fact that the fragrance was created in 1901 does something to me. That this "Spaniard" is still available today speaks for itself. That's really impressive.

After the greeting, I find that it becomes more and more green-flowery, accompanied by a smoky note. Very slowly the leather also comes through. Unfortunately I don't go d'accord with the diagram, because I feel leather only as a player in the background. Has for me absolutely nothing to do with leather scents such as TL.

The mixture of oriental, green, animal and floral fragrances with smoky and slightly leathery ones is simply a pleasure. One should not confuse it with sweet, which is not my direction at all. It never seems penetrating or too heavy, but complex, noble and balanced. A round thing that also makes a statement. It is worth mentioning that harzig is also part of the show and at least for me he is a central theme of the Spanish show, as well as the birch
I would classify the fragrance as a men's fragrance, but I can understand very well that women also like to wear it.
Like I said, he's doing something with the strap and I only find nice things...

For me a clear purchase for special moments.
2.5

Being a part of nature
I love this beast so hard it can make me cry of joy. Bold, wild and hard, still with a soapy floral herbal side. I've got many unexpected commentaries wearing this one ( a couple of sprays only). I gave a 10ml decant to a shy female coworker who surprisingly asked me to write the perfume's name and insisted in how evocative it was for her. Perfect for fall. It makes me feel like part of nature and history. Only for green animalic leather lovers.

Challenging Camphorous Leather...
Peau d'Espagne opens with an almost camphorous mix of heavy herbs, creating a menthol-like accord. It is quite challenging, but not unpleasant. This open very slowly recedes but never dissipates, instead allowing a rather strong birch leather note to emerge and take the fore. By this time the overall scent is much more wearable and enjoyable. I have a hard time identifying any other individual notes here, as the herbal mix still obscures a lot of anything else the scent has to offer. Projection is good, and longevity is above average.

Peau d'Espagne is definitely not my kind of leather scent. That said, I don't dislike it either. The opening is tough to get through due to that herbal eucalyptus mix that is just downright potent. If you can make it past the opening and early heart notes, then there is a decent leather here to discover... The problem is I fear most, myself included will not want to experience the couple hours of Peau d'Espagne in order to get the relatively good payoff much later when there are so many good leather offerings on the market, both classic and contemporary. I definitely think Peau d'Espagne is a nice scent in its own way and recommend a sniff to leather fans, but I think I will keep to more pleasant leathers like Cuiron and Cuir Pleine Fleur. I give Peau d'Espagne a 3 out of 5 rating and a strong neutral.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 147 days ago
A rather heavy fresh and spicy floral-leathery Mid season fragrance, slowly balanced by a clean and soft dry woody base. More masculine.

by Turandot
by Turandot
by MrFumejunkie
by MrFumejunkie
by Carlossp
A classic and soft leather

Popular Santa Maria Novella

Acqua di Cuba by Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano (Eau de Cologne) by Santa Maria Novella Porcellana by Santa Maria Novella Città di Kyoto by Santa Maria Novella Muschio by Santa Maria Novella Melograno (Eau de Cologne) by Santa Maria Novella Fieno by Santa Maria Novella Ottone by Santa Maria Novella Vetiver (Eau de Cologne) by Santa Maria Novella Lavanda Ambrata by Santa Maria Novella Marescialla by Santa Maria Novella Nostalgia by Santa Maria Novella Cala Rossa by Santa Maria Novella Zagara by Santa Maria Novella Ambra by Santa Maria Novella Tuberosa by Santa Maria Novella Patchouli (Eau de Cologne) by Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Sicilia by Santa Maria Novella Verbena by Santa Maria Novella Angeli di Firenze / Angels of Florence by Santa Maria Novella