Lôrose 2013

Lôrose by Santi Burgas
Lôrose is a perfume by Santi Burgas for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is floral-synthetic. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Blanca Dalmau

Bulgarian roseBulgarian rose
Indian roseIndian rose
Indonesian patchouliIndonesian patchouli
Egyptian geraniumEgyptian geranium

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 06.06.2019.

2.5

Drseid
When Being "Good" Isn't Quite Good Enough...
Lorose goes on with a moderately sweetened candied light rose floral with a slightly sharp green synthetic smelling geranium undertone. As the composition moves to its early heart, the synthetic sharp green geranium takes the fore, with the now light and airy rose remaining sans most of its initial sweetness as significant support, joining subtle relatively sanitized patchouli. Moving further through its mid-section the geranium slowly dissipates and eventually vacates, leaving the light airy rose as sole star with the patchouli remaining in subtle support. During the late dry-down the rose loses most of its airy nature, adding in a very soft powdery, almost vanilla-like facet through the finish. Projection is excellent and longevity absolutely outstanding at well over 20 hours on skin.

As I sprayed my sample of Lorose on skin my first impression was that this was not a rose I was going to like much. The primary early culprit was the geranium, which comes off as slightly synthetic smelling with an odd, sharp green aspect that doesn't quite match the rose. If things stayed this way throughout, this would be yet another negative review of a Santi Burgass composition, but luckily things do indeed improve. Once the geranium slowly leaves, the rose is given a chance to really shine and indeed it does. This rose is of the light and airy variety, smelling very fresh like one just cut off the bush, only slightly enhanced by the deft use of subtle patchouli. While not normally mentioned, Lorose's performance is really impressive, with the composition hanging around well into the next day after application with stellar projection. In short, this is a good composition, but as there are so *many* good rose compositions on the market, being "good" really isn't good enough to set Lorose apart from competitors. Maybe if the perfumer would have jettisoned the geranium and the candied sweetness early this would have been more of a winner, but as it is, Lorose is a "good" rose composition swimming in a sea of similar quality offerings with only its outstanding performance metrics to distinguish it from the pack. The bottom line is the 89 Euro per 50ml bottle Lorose delivers big time on its performance metrics and smells very good once it sheds the remnants of its synthetic smelling sharp green geranium, earning it a "good" 3 stars out of 5 rating; but the composition never quite establishes a reason to buy it over other rose offerings and as such can't quite muster a recommendation.

An excellent Rose!!
Working my way through the Santi Burgas Lôant collection I find myself rather intrigued by the way that some of these frags display such an Arabic touch. This house is, after all based in Spain, so I am wondering what the connection may be? Lôrose and Lôwood are the two that largely exemplify this idea.

The culprit (to my nose at least) is Oud, and even though it is not listed as a note in Lôrose ... 'Arabic Wood' is a component of Lôtree. My sniffer is probably picking up on the Indian Rose here, causing my brain to assimilate it with many of the Rose/Oud combinations that I love. Roses have many different permutations and I have to say that I prefer the wood-and-mushroominess of the Eastern variations to the outright sweetness of Bulgarian varieties.
Now, an entire encyclopedia could be written on the origins of Roses and the differences in the way they smell ... suffice it to say that the combination here is, personally, my favorite. I don't get heavy handed Patchouli here and the Geranium must simply re-inforce the Roses. From a dedicated Rose fanatic I can only but laud this fragrance as a Top 10 creation ... high praise indeed!

At some point in the very near future, Lôrose will have to make its rather expensive way into my collection.

Edgy Yet Sweet
I have tried rose-based scents before, but never found one that worked. Thus, I didn't expect to like Lorose, but I did. It begins as a sweet, wet, rounded kind of rose, not really masculine at first, but then orange rind rises up beneath it to ground it, to make it earthier, and to give it an edge. At fifteen minutes in, I realize that Lorose won't be a boring, girly-girl soliflore. It's similar to Silver, which supports musk with orange.

The projection is 2’ or so; you can smell it around you without leaning in to your wrist. By 5 hours in, its projection is down to 1/2 foot, and it smells more musky. This the most friendly rose I’ve smelled, and while it isn’t high end, I like it. I can’t say that about most roses I've encountered in the fragrance world, though, and I've tried roses I thought I would like, from Montale to Czech and Speake. At 6 hours, it’s still creating a presence, but it quiets and muskifies at 8. It's still there at 16 hours, but after hour eight, some neroli comes out and turns it slightly powdery and lotion-like. In the end, Lorose dangles its feet over the feminine side, just shy of unisex territory.

Lorose is the best scent of the Loant line, hands down. It ranks as a near-miss for me, though, due to its fluctuations from feminine-leaning to masculine-leaning. Most others would enjoy this scent, though, and it's definitely worth sampling.

Popular Santi Burgas

Palindrome II by Santi Burgas Palindrome I by Santi Burgas Primal Waters - TDM: Torroella de Montgrí by Santi Burgas Santi Burgas by Santi Burgas White Collection - Eau Dadà by Santi Burgas Primal Waters - ADH: Aroma de Hormiguero by Santi Burgas Lôvann by Santi Burgas White Collection - ÔIKB by Santi Burgas Primal Waters - NYC: New York City by Santi Burgas White Collection - Miss Betty Vair by Santi Burgas Palindrome III by Santi Burgas Lôtree by Santi Burgas White Collection - Oud de Burgas by Santi Burgas Lôence by Santi Burgas Lôjazz by Santi Burgas White Collection - Flaming Red by Santi Burgas Lôant by Santi Burgas Lôbitt by Santi Burgas Eau Dadette by Santi Burgas Lômusk by Santi Burgas