Covet by Sarah Jessica Parker
Bottle Design Chad Levigne
Covet is a perfume by Sarah Jessica Parker for women and was released in 2007. The scent is floral-green. It was last marketed by Coty.

Perfumers & Creative Guidance

Frank Voelkl
Ann Gottlieb (Product Developer)

Top Notes Top NotesDark chocolateDark chocolate
LavenderLavender
Pelargonium leaf
Sicilian lemonSicilian lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesHoneysuckleHoneysuckle
MagnoliaMagnolia
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber
Cashmere woodCashmere wood
MuskMusk
TeakwoodTeakwood
VetiverVetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 23.03.2021.

Aaronstar
Covet, chocolate lavender delight.
I simply love this scent, the chocolate, the lavender, the sweet lemon, the creamy florals, the edible woods, it is all very gourmand, I feel I could eat it. It is sort of niche and comes into uniqueness due to its accord. The chocolate is just the pleasure point and when mixed with clean sweet french lavender, you have to covet this stuff, those are the two notes that really get me hooked. The white florals are there making it creamy and adding depth, the woods, teak and cashmere inside the gourmand are almost cookie-like woods, they add another layer, the lemon citrus is piercing but sweet like lemon candy, the musk is there to make is solid. It is rather fancy in its composition, smart, romantic, sweet and just likable, the clean sweet powdery lavender over the dark chocolate is just such a dreamy mix, and the rest is just as good, if this is Covet then it is also Lovely. It is a modern scent, it's a smart scent, it's a sweet, gourmand scent that will put a smile in your face and put joy in your heart.

A non-traditional feminine
I was afraid to try this perfume for quite some weeks, after reading reviews. Camps are evenly divided, as with Mugler's Angel: it's love or hate! It has been discontinued, so it's difficult to find, and prices on ebay have risen. I got a used--but full--bottle on ebay for about $14, so that was cheap enough for me to give it a go. I was nervous at the first spray, however. Many of these notes are not my taste at all, but I wanted to experience the chocolate!

It goes on with a big burst of lemon, but it is a good lemon; it does not smell at all like furniture polish or bug spray! It does not smell synthetic; this has been expertly crafted. Lavender is very present, but it blends well with the lemon and chocolate, which is good for me because I do not really like lavender. The chocolate seems to keep it grounded and from getting hysterically herbal. Florals stay somewhat in the background. The woods and vetiver are a strong base, and they come forward on my skin almost like patchouli. I don't get too much amber, but that--in coordination with the honeysuckle--may be what is contributing to a very slight sweetness. Also somewhat powdery and spicy. It is difficult to classify.

Complex and intriguing, this is not for the faint of heart! It's got pretty good projection, and the mist from the bottle isn't super misty, so it goes on almost in a hard stream of "squirt." (Did that even make sense?!) What I mean is, when you spray it, most of the product will end up where you want it, not floating around in a cloud in the air, with only some particles landing on your skin. It can veer into the territory of "too much," especially if you're going to be around sensitive people. Spray once, maybe twice, then gently smooth into hair or clothing. This isn't one you can mist into the air in front of you and walk through it; the application is too targeted. But enough about that.

Longevity is impressive, and it does not seem to get weaker until many hours in--maybe 7! It's potent juice.

I don't like the name. It makes this perfume sound naughty--like you're breaking the Ten Commandments!--and it's really not a naughty smell at all; no animalics.

The bottle is very nice, but I don't really like the somewhat sickly yellowish-greenish-brownish color. The cap is a brown plastic flower, and it's actually a ring. It basically just fits around the sprayer, but you can still feel the sprayer flush with the top of the flower ring. It seems as if it would be feasible to push on the sprayer through the ring, though I haven't tried this. It's different, just like the fragrance. (EDIT: I had to go try to spray with the ring on, for the sake of this review! And it works; I could spray it with the ring still fastened. And I was reminded again how amazing this scent it while cleaning up the bit of mess! So interesting and compelling. I want to keep smelling it!!!)

This feels masculine, but also feminine. If you love your florals, stay away from this one; you will find it too manly! I'm not even sure how I feel about it...I definitely like it because it is so different from anything else I have, but it's also out of my comfort zone a little bit. I steer more toward light florals, musks, and vanillas, in general. I'm definitely a fan of gourmands, and this isn't remotely in that category, even with the dark chocolate note!

Overall, it's quirky, and that makes it a winner in my book.

Gold
For the sake of the vessel...
"Covet" seems to be on the verge of discontinuation, I recently grabbed a bottle of it at a very low price (twice reduced!) and rejoiced because I had always wanted the pretty vessel for my collection. And the flacon is the only asset this fragrance has to offer to me. After a promising start of chocolate mixed with lavender and lemon (quite extraordinary) "Covet" turns into a chemical nightmare on my skin. It morphs into a harsh, synthetic woody mess, headache-inducing. Unwearable and unbearable. Nevertheless, the bottle looks cute.

Coveting A Quirky Woodsy Perfume Of Chocolate Lemon Merinque
When I first acquired Covet, I tried it a few times, and back on my perfume shelf it went. It wasn't agreeing with me. I pulled it out again to revisit it out of curiosity to see what would happen on this try. Yes, there's Sicilian Lemon. Yes, there's chocolate. If there's such a delicacy as a chocolate lemon meringue pie that has a high quality furniture oil drizzled over it, then that's what I'm smelling. But that's not all. Just as I'm thinking this is a gourmand, suddenly, I'm in a flower tent, a huge display of award-winning florals, and as I pass all of the beautiful displays, I inhale deeply to appreciate the richness of the beauty of each flower. But remnants of the chocolate merinque pie are still with me, alternating equally. Not fighting somehow, because these are two separate, distinct notes. And somehow they balance nicely, although heavily. The vetiver is persistent in its dark woods, along with the muskiness of the cashmere wood, while the lavender leaves a faint trail. This is a quirky perfume.
Covet, if sprayed sparingly, will not be overbearing to those around you. It also lasts for hours until washed off.
I found a distinct similarity to my Jean Nate vintage perfume. Revisiting Covet, I knew the scent was familiar to me. I sprayed my vintage Nate on one arm and Covet on the the other and spent the day comparing them. Almost identical, except the Nate perfume gave out sooner.
I was also reminded of Michel Germain's Tattoo. I'd say it's the simplistic lime and caramel in Tattoo that brought me back to Covet, but that's where the similarity ended.
Why the bottle top is made of cheesy plastic when the commercial was made to look so classy is beyond me. Otherwise, a chunky little bottle to hold, easy to spray.
A heavier perfume than one would expect, with notes that circle deeply. Beautiful to wear in the cooler weather, at night, for special occasions.

a chubby gem
I don’t buy celebrity fragrances since I do not believe in them. I have checked more than a lot of them out and they keep disappointing me. But there is always an exception.
Sarah Jessica Parker has released 9 fragrances of which I have two, Covet and Lovely, and they are both delicate and unique. The one I fell in love with was Covet. I remember trying it in a border shop and I really found it so strange, yet intriguing and alluring that I bought it straight away. I have never regretted this buy even though everyone else seems to hate the scent. Therefore I was so happy to read all the positive and acknowledging reviews in this forum and wanted to add mine.
Covet starts out like a bomb, an explosion of lavender and lemon. It took me some time to get used to this and now I spray it on half an hour before leaving the house. One single whiff does the trick, since this is a heavy and insisting perfume. The heart notes on my skin are chocolate and lily-of-the-valley, very sweet but a marvelous sweetness that goes on forever (read: more than 8 hours). Dry-down is mostly honey and amber, though I know that this scent is not easy to take apart.
The bottle… what can I say? In my opinion it is a gem. The combination of gold and the colours, first and foremost, is really daring and in-your-face. The colour on the bottle reminds me a lot of the one on Absynthe by Christian Lacroix, but Covet is more greenish. The shape, a bit chubby and no edges, and the top, shaped like a flower, are wonderful together. The flacon feels so nice in your hand.
I have heard a horrible rumour telling that it has been discontinued… Please let it not be true!

Katad
Delish and fascinating: SJP 'Covet' is promoted to the front of the pack...
I had to demote 'Lovely' by SJP the other day for the offense of overt musky one-noteness.

'Covet' on the other hand has been promoted. After a couple of years of lounging at the back of my shelf, I have a new appreciation for the complexities of this scent.

First notes are lavender and sweet sugary lemon with a background of greenery. There is a definite undertone of chocolatey somethin'. Faint musk is far in the background for me. It becomes smooth and mellow as it fades. The sweet lemon comes up again in the background under the powdery finish.

I agree wholeheartedly with Sherapop that the notes seem to change and fade in and out as it completes it's journey. That trait makes this scent super interesting.

Sillage is great for me and the longevity is good also. 4 hours and I can still get a waft on myself now and again. I'm not a big fan of the bottle shape, I find it kind of awkward to hold. I think this would be more of an evening fragrance for all seasons.

lovely surprise
I was interested in trying this when it was on sale for a very low price. So I bought a bottle blindly (and we all know that can either end up great or very awful); and I surprisingly like it a lot. I think it's a nice change from the usual sweet and gourmand perfumes that I usually buy.

The opening is all herbs, lemons, and dry grass. Then the drydown becomes a bit powdery and sweeter with the chocolate and lavender.

I can understand why people may not like this, given the polarizing notes (sweet/herbal/wood/spicy). But for me, it's wonderful combination.

Awesomeness
Loved it ... before the head-aches started.
This is such a difficult fragrance to categorize ... just when you think you can identify the notes (vanilla, amber, a floral here or there, chocolate), it changes. I find is so intriguing, that I just love it. And the price ... it's to die for.

Full bottle worthy!

For me, this is anything but a green or a floral. And, it's not appropriate for the Summer for me ... it's a three-season fragrance - Fall, Winter, Spring.
Then, one day staring at the bottle, it hit me. If you could bottle a green cabochon amber, this is what it would smell like.

Covet is a complex fragrance that is extraordinarily difficult to categorize and is like nothing else I've ever tried. Ignore the nay-sayers. Try it before it becomes hard to find.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

UPDATE TO ORIGINAL REVIEW : There is something about Covet that is HEADACHE-INDUCING. I wish I knew what it was ... I suspect the lily of the valley and the honeysuckle. Had to let the bottle go ...

Jun
2010
2.5

Covet
to most people it's a touch and go
kind of fragrance endorsed by a celebrity strange ingredients blah blah
blah' but to me it's more then that.
it's uniqness really made me fell in love with this the begining we start off
with a mixture of lavender and lemon
and a wisp of chocolate and i can pick up spearment. the drydown to me vetiver
and kashmir i don't notice amber but the musk i can smell.

i love the emerald green color of this
bottle all i got is a decant sample
not a 1.7 oz bottle if i go to a department or a drugstore or browse to web i'll deffinly buy it.

Mystery, Wrapped in a Riddle, Inside an Enigma
It took me quite some time to appreciate Sarah Jessica Parker COVET, which to my nose is a "mystery, wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma" perfume. When I first purchased a bottle (scent unsniffed) a couple of years ago, I was very disappointed and confused. After a single wearing, I relegated the beautiful bottle filled with a strange peridot-colored liquid to the "Mistakes Were Made" shelf of my armoire.

Months later, when I decided to give this perfume a second chance, I was pleasantly surprised. There was something resiny and complex and enticing about this unorthodox composition. Greens and chocolate and honeysuckle and lavender and lemon and amber? What? Well, yes, somehow they work together very well in this perfume, which in addition to containing better-quality components than are typical for celebrity scents, is also unique. I know of no other perfume similar to SJP COVET.

On a 91F afternoon with relatively low humidity, I was delighted to find that COVET held up extraordinarily well and seemed even more appealing than I had found it to be during the winter. But I should say that it changes radically with all sorts of environmental factors, and therefore defies objective description. Different notes become salient under different conditions. How to convey the beauty of COVET? I think that this is a clear case where words cannot do justice to the perfume. I find it quite compelling and yet too weird too describe. I might say that the chocolate is dominant, but then that sentence would be rendered false (and me, therefore, a liar!) a few seconds later. The notes of COVET wax and wane and undulate in a manner that could only be modeled using a very complex differential equation. Around every corner is a new twist throughout the course of COVET's reasonably lengthy life on my skin.

Like the perfume, the bottle, too, is unique; smooth and hefty with an odd shape I've not seen before. Even the color of the liquid—perodot–is rare in perfumery and unique in my collection. Happily the color has not degraded or faded since I acquired my bottle two years ago. But the best part of all is that the juice inside continues to smell really great.

It took some time, but I finally sniffed the splendor and saw the COVET light. COVET is a "challenging" perfume in the way that the films of Werner Herzog are sometimes said to be "challenging". However, COVET is not, for me, at all difficult to wear, now that I've cracked its hard outer shell.

TruckladyTrucklady 2 years ago
This should not work, but it does. Squeaky lemon, fougere chocolate and green woods.
Bcars10Bcars10 5 years ago
It's out of my comfort zone as a non-tradtional feminine, but it compels me and draws me in. It's quirky!

by Smitty
by GreenTin
by IIespresso
by IIespresso

Popular Sarah Jessica Parker

Stash (Eau de Parfum Elixir) by Sarah Jessica Parker SJP NYC Crush (Eau de Parfum) by Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely (Eau de Parfum) by Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely Liquid Satin by Sarah Jessica Parker The Lovely Collection - Dawn by Sarah Jessica Parker The Lovely Collection - Twilight by Sarah Jessica Parker SJP NYC Pure Crush (Eau de Toilette) by Sarah Jessica Parker Stash Unspoken by Sarah Jessica Parker SJP NYC (Eau de Toilette) by Sarah Jessica Parker Covet Pure Bloom by Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely Sheer by Sarah Jessica Parker The Lovely Collection - Endless by Sarah Jessica Parker SJP NYC (Eau de Parfum) by Sarah Jessica Parker Born Lovely (Eau de Parfum) by Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely (Body Mist) by Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely Winter Sparkle by Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely Anniversary Edition by Sarah Jessica Parker Covet (Solid Perfume) by Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely You (Eau de Parfum) by Sarah Jessica Parker Lovely You (Body Mist) by Sarah Jessica Parker