Stash (Eau de Parfum Elixir) (2016)

Stash (Eau de Parfum Elixir) by Sarah Jessica Parker

Stash (Eau de Parfum Elixir) is a perfume by Sarah Jessica Parker for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit zest, Black pepper, Sage
Heart Notes Heart NotesAtlas cedar, Patchouli, Ginger lily, Pistachio
Base Notes Base NotesFrankincense, Massoia wood, Vetiver, Musk

Submitted by Michael, last update on 10.11.2019

6.0 8.0 9.0 8.0/10

Vanishing at the Haunted House
I picked this fragrance up several years ago after a neat little tip-off that it was being heavily discounted at select locations in Europe. At that time, the reviews were generally good, hailing Stash as superbly unconventional and a trail-blazer in the celebrity fragrance market. In short, they weren’t kidding.

It’s been 2 years since I purchased my bottle, and since that time, exactly half of the juice has vanished into oblivion without so much as a dozen sprays. Poor quality control? A coincidence? Or is my juice simply haunted by the ghosts of countless celebrity fruity-florals left behind in its dusty wake on a mystical journey into a woody underworld? I would like to think the latter.

However, overlooking the potentially subtle defects in the bottle’s construction, the scent itself is really quite extraordinary. Creamy, musty, peppery wood would be the simplest description, although there are quite a few nuances that give Stash some charming flavour – namely, the gingery incense and patchouli. The deviation from trendy, sweet prepubescent celebrity scents couldn’t be more obvious. It’s not animalic exactly, but I somehow remember SJP remarking how it was her intention to evoke the scent of skin in her brief to the perfumers.

To me, the opening is incredibly strange. Two words that immediately come to mind are “synthetic” and “fixatives.” Might as well throw in “niche” and “spooky” while we’re at it. Right from the beginning, nothing in the composition feels natural - which shouldn’t be a surprise from a celebrity frag I suppose – but if you can imagine stepping through the rickety front door of a century’s old abandoned wooden house on a damp morning, having the floorboards break beneath you and toppling into a dank, creepy basement, you’ll start to get an idea of where we’re heading.

From the first spray, I get a blast of what seems like a nutty pistachio, sage and vetiver. It’s not fresh, but more of a fizzy green and brown, yet unmistakably creamy. Very quickly though, the ginger, pepper and woods (a LOT of them) creep into the mix to give the composition that characteristic woody depth found in so many men’s fragrances. From there, the evolution heads into musky territory, with just a dash of dank patchouli adding contrast to the spicy wood.

But what intrigues me the most is how the pepper and incense are used to give the blend a dry, aromatic sexiness that’s impossible to ignore. The notes contrast sharply with the damp patchouli and creamy woods to give SJP a somewhat dichotomous persona. On the one hand, it’s spicy and dry, and on the other, it’s wet and musky. Can’t decide which one I prefer, but I’d imagine it working incredibly well on a woman’s sensuous skin.

As strange as it sounds, the overall vibe I get is of a dusty wooden floor in a haunted house – perhaps once filled with young orphans, old caretakers and chemical cleaners to preserve their slow deterioration. The image appears grim initially, but there is a rare, misunderstood beauty about the whole affair – stories that continue to come alive amidst the curtains of dust and decay. It’s like the smell of grandma’s skin; the tale of a long life, lived well and amidst the trials of corporeal suffering and heartache. But it’s time to move on now, and let the body rest in a deep, wooden coffin of its own creation, as the spirit continues on to inspire all those that come after - the TRUE stash. The wisdom of life experience.
8.0 4.0 5.0 5.5/10

not so good
was recommended to me as a cheap alternative to Santal Blush by Tom Ford, unfortunately the fragrance does not arrive here (the model?) by Tom Ford. Santal Blush smells much more "refined" and Stash has some additional note that somehow smells unpleasantly stinging. I'd rather spend the fortune on Santal Blush sometime.
2.0 10.0 10.0 0.5/10

All wrong.
The dry down on this perfume smells like the motor oil and diesel that accumulates on the floor of the barn over years and assaults the nose as soon as the barn door is opened.

When I first applied this, it was so overwhelmingly black peppery, that I got sneezy. After about 30 to 45 minutes, the sneeziness went away, only to be replaced by nausea. I was in a meeting and couldn't wash it off and so was left to smell it for over an hour.

I wanted to like this; I genuinely did. The descriptions of it as "woodsy" and "different" really intrigued me because Shiseido's Feminite du Bois is one of my all-time favorites. But this left me nauseous and smelling like an auto mechanic. It is not sultry, it is not interesting, it is not good. There is no redeeming quality to this perfume whatsoever. I'm sorry to be so harsh, but from the first spray and even after I tried to wash it off, it was very offensive. It literally made me ill.

SamuelGustav 25 days ago
Beautiful creamy sandalwood with a touch of incense and balsamic nuances. Really surprised by the quality, found my sandalwood fragrance+1
Trucklady 145 days ago
I am a truck mechanic and this smells like nothing found in an auto workshop.

Beautiful blend of woody notes, syrupy vetiver and pepper.+2
9.0
MrHonest 2 years ago
More complex on paper. Waxy, earthy, peppery wood on skin. Drydown reminds me a little of Varvatos Vintage. Excellent longevity + quality.+3
6.0