Ambre sultan 1993

Ambre sultan by Serge Lutens
Ambre sultan is a popular perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 1993. The scent is oriental-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Amber, Angelica root, Benzoin, Coriander, Labdanum, Bay leaf, Myrtle, Oregano, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Styrax, Tolu balm, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 19.04.2021.

Ambre sultan was additionally released in 2000 as a limited edition "Noël 2000" of 500 bottles. In 2006 the bottle collection "Les Fauves Royaux" followed, attaching the design Tigre to the scent.

Ambre At Home
Ambre Sultan was for me the first fragrance that "embraced" me.

It makes me feel comfortable, at home, nestled in warmth. It smells to me like Morgan Freeman's voice sounds. Fatherly. Warm. Familiar. All worries are momentarily forgotten and you can relax.

Ambre Sultan smells the way cashmere feels. Warm, soft, gentle and vulnerable at the same time.

Clearly French perfumery, very round composition, which thus does not seem particularly modern, but for all lovers of old libraries, dark wooden huts, warming smells and the urge to sniff yourself all day on the wrist.

For me, by far (and I've been through them ALL) the best amber scent.

Flacon sensational, flat and thus useful when traveling.

Absolutely unbeatable quality for the price.

On a woman so beguiling that I forget before loud smelling quite what we actually intended...
Orient Express
One spray only and the door opens:
The glass door to the saloon car of my Orient Express', acting like burn-out lace.
I enter an area of sensory-impressive luxury in the scent of spices, precious balsamic oils, smoky resins and embracing warmth.
What an incredibly balanced composition has the dear Solstice bottled for me for Christmas: thank you for that!

A pyramidal structure of the fragrance notes I can not perceive.
Rather, a harmony opens up to me in warm brown and green tones with bright light reflections - like thick and inviting upholstered chairs and sofas, precious wood paneling and delicate glass and crystal.
A world: just to sink into.

Coriander and bay leaf spices flash as soloists for a moment before marrying with myrtle and benzoin; a light smoke envelops the already very awake but not overstimulated senses.
Labdanum joins them: well fits this slightly herbaceous and own kind of cistus in the previous fragrance weaving, before the balsamic beauties - tolu balsam, styrax and finally vanilla gently sand off any rough edges in the previous creation and round off this yet somewhat idiosyncratic mixture.
Of course, the classics of the perfume world sandalwood and my "darling" patchouli may not be missing.
Without these two, the senses flattering fragrance beings, but every Oriental would only be a shadow of its former self.
But they are here: languid and lush they spread and embrace exuberantly.
And so Serge Lutens "Ambre Sultan" lives up to its reputation as an opulent oriental.
So far, I find myself in the middle of a luxurious "salon car of fragrances" that richly surrounds me with all the secrets of 1001 nights.
The crown gets this fragrance creation by amber put on: noble and golden glow.
Here, too, is rather resorted to a slightly matte gold variant; so much more appropriate, as bright glow and radiance.
Because this matte elegance of amber harmonizes excellently with the dominant earthy-resinous spice.
Generously and equally tasteful were composed here the "fragrances of Arabia" to an almost magical overall impression. A meeting full of noblesse.
As if I were in a "compartment of fragrances", in which I can stay for several hours and feel good.
Because also the durability fits excellently with everything so far; everything develops comfortably; not obtrusive, quite noble and comfortable.
A feel-good atmosphere is created, which I would not like to leave at all.

I also do not have to; Solstice left me such a generous filling that I can still revel for a long time in this world apart from everyday life.
So, sighing comfortably, I leave myself to the soothing sound of the wheels of my very own Orient Express, which whisks me away.
Yes, where do you think?
Perhaps in the land of dreams and harmony?
The next time spraying will show it!
Once Marrakech and back
I had the opportunity to get a small filling of Ambre Sultan and was actually strongly assumed that I could not do anything with the fragrance as such.

But immediately after spraying I had to think of my vacation in Marrakech, this fragrance,which is found in the depths of the souks and also adheres to the people in the souks themselves.the fragrance is extremely complex, balsamic,spicy and warm. I smell saffron, coriander, warm amber and slightly herbaceous notes.

If you've ever been to Morocco,you'll know this wild yet cohesive blend of scents in the souk.This blend,which pours from a wide variety of shops and stalls in the souk,offers an oriental mix of spices and woods,resin,incense,leather goods,mint,amber,tea,citrus notes,myhrre and vanilla.

While I don't know if I actually want this fragrance,I keep sniffing my wrist and am overwhelmed by the creation.Whenever I sniff,I stand in the middle of the souk.

To the left and right of me hang colorful fabrics, kaftans, leather bags, mules, Sitzpoufs pile up in the shops. Further back, golden lampshades hang, colorful glasses stand in shop windows, tea is being poured somewhere, art is being hammered in niches.
behind me I hear a spice dealer loudly chattering with his customers. Steam from cookshops,with wonderful spices pouring from the surrounding alleys. The heavy scent of incense is in the air,so thick you could cut the air. Heavy perfume oils strip my nose.No matter where you walk and stand,everywhere the eye discovers new and the nose catches other smells.

Golden amber gives the fragrance "ambre Sultan" not only its name,he is also the main actor who keeps from beginning to end in the fragrance.Not intrusive but present benzoe resin accompanies and gives an additional comforting warm and earthy note but also a leathery sweetness.
Since I hate leather in fragrances should be said for even non-leather fans that this is not a typical leather smell, which is noticeable here.

Coriander, angelica root and Labdanum smells one.
Likewise, the scents of bay leaf and myrtle can be sniffed quite clearly.oregano, sandalwood, styrax and soft vanilla join them. The scent does not change much, remains the same and for hours.

The resinous notes are so fine-tuned and so soft, that my nose is not bothered by it. The fragrance would lack originality,would these notes of styrax and benzoin are missing.

If someone has never smelled the Orient or even the Arab world, ambre sultan should definitely try once, because it underlines the fairy tale of a thousand and one nights.

The fragrance is absolutely unisex and equally wearable for ladies and gentlemen without inclination in one direction or another. On the right person and the right type of person, this exclusively exceptional fragrance can become a real signature fragrance.

Durability, sillage and projection: Remains consistent skin, lasts a very long time.
2020Antiope
Oriental deceleration for western hectic
Ambre Sultan; the title alone promises a fairy tale in southern climes and the more curious I am about what to expect.

I approach the bottle with alert eyes and a clear mind, determined to absorb the fragrance unimpressed and not to be influenced by any idea of lively Oriental bazaars, caravans, travelogues or Tales of the Thousand and One Nights.
For free; all in vain.....
Already at the first sniff I am lost; with closed eyes I see them passing by, the big caravans, the lively and smelly hustle and bustle on the bazaars, the colourful, beautiful robes of the picturesque characters from 1001 nights. Absolutely impossible for me to concentrate on anything else now; the day is lost for my boss; I am lost in the Orient and enchanted, enchanted......

You have to have a soft spot for oriental scents, otherwise you despair of them.
Some of the luxuriant mixtures wrap you up in such a way that the surroundings give way to the side in an annoyed way and cast one or the other wild and angry look. Or they are so intensely interspersed with patchouli, musk and oud that, apart from their concentrated presence, there is hardly any room for the finer ingredients.

Ambre Sultan is one of these enemies; a djinn; a locked treasure chest whose key has been wisely kept in the keyhole.

None of the heavy oriental woods and spices take the upper hand.
Sandalwood and angelica root have fallen in love and joined together with a little bit of finest almond marzipan and Turkish honey; oregano and coriander have stolen away unnoticed.
Vanilla and Tolu balsam gently and consistently caress the beauties without being obtrusive.
(With a wink, it should be mentioned that sniffing almond marzipan and Turkish honey is probably a little trick of my new djinn to confuse my synapses!)

Ambre Sultan is a dream fragrance
Not only because I beam at him hopelessly and enthusiastically, but also because I am convinced that he is a little insider tip for many an urgently needed time-out.
In our fast moving, hectic and impersonal society, not everyone has the opportunity to book a trip or to leave their environment for a short trip. But disappearing with a djinn - even if it's only for a short escape - lets you forget a lot of things for the moment and gives your fantasy and dreams back the power they need to survive in everyday life!
DarkWinterCS
My second Lutens - may a little wildcat still be his Lord Sultan ?
Ambre Sultan is a much more difficult case than I had first suspected. For as the absolute bomb of the Orient mentioned by name, he does not only show the Orient, but also the animals which the Sultan has crammed together as objects of prestige in his empire.
My nose seems to be playing some kind of trick on me, because my brain makes some kind of scent connections here, which I can't explain to myself and which sound completely abstruse to me.

But from the beginning, because next to Chergui this scent was quickly on my wish list for testing. If a fragrance is titled "THE" oriental fragrance, then as a fan of this direction you immediately become aware of it and wish for a sample under your nose. I can anticipate it, this scent is definitely different and on the borderline where I can't classify whether this scent is positive or negative on my mind.

Especially the first hour it is a rollercoaster ride of feelings and smells. Amber, spice and vanilla are permanent companions on my skin throughout the entire development of the fragrance. A good basis, but the fragrance as a unique selling point is not enough. Because there are scent chords that are combined crazy in my nose.
So I hear a kind of sweet and sour jelly babies at the beginning, then in the next moment a kind of menthol, which then develops further in the direction of herbal bobbins.

This slightly sour note remains on my skin for a long time, but I cannot classify it exactly. It has some trace of animalism, something slightly urine-like, but which does not disturb excessively. It's there, you hear it, but wouldn't say it doesn't fit. Although over time it recedes further into the background
All the notes I have heard in this fragrance somehow fit together. Each note has its place in the whole construct and builds on each other. Unfortunately, I have a similar problem as with the Chergui, because the one on my skin is getting too ordinary and too mainstream. These great oriental spices remain and also this light animalism, but not so that it comes out of itself
The shelf life is quite good, but somehow many notes fade after a certain time, so that he then oscillates mainly between vanilla, sandalwood and spice.
Monstrous is just the Sillage at the beginning. Because here a whole room is redecorated into a tent of the Sultan and can definitely be a nuisance with this slight acidity. It is therefore 100% suitable for everyday use, but it quickly becomes softer.
My Amber Number 25

Serge Lutens - Ambre sultan

We crossed Borneo, Kalimantan and Saravak and went to visit Brunei. With the sultan. Perhaps the richest man in the world
During a spontaneously warm amber reception, we are served from a mysterious elongated bottle of fragrance. Welcome. Something Bruneian? With the irritating fertility of tropical nights
The elixir of the sultan.

The scent of wood, leaves and herbs from the nearby, rustic forest - nothing of the teak plantations in monoculture - envelops us with a great flap of wings. We notice laurel, woody coriander seeds and bitter coriander leaves. Oregano and green sourness fill an unconventional soup glory. Narrow strawberry animalism rounds off.

And we smell amber again. More of a hunch. Very low-key. And as they tell us, angelica. Almost dirty wood. Jungle. The composition is green, spicy and slightly acidic. With a touch of bitterness. Wood dark, moist. Not dusty, not dry, not light. Unsweet.

A "green" amber, which has a fragrance that is very different from cuddly, warm, soft scents. But sandalwood, delicate honey, labdanum and vanilla flatter together to create a long-lasting fragrance. To individual beastliness.

Amber special class
8.0 / 7.0 / 7.0 / 7.0

Sultan
Notes to my nose Coriander, Bay Leaf, Patchouli, Resins, Sandalwood, Amber and Vanilla

Smoky Resins combined with spices make this a magical scent. If you love Amber like i do, you will definitely love this one but Amber Absolute by Tom Ford is still my favorite.
Warm and spicy perfection
It doesn't often happen to me that a perfume goes on my wish list within the first few minutes after application, and is also not drained again over the entire course of wearing it.
This is where it happened.

For me Ambre Sultan is just harmonious from the first moment on, wonderfully pleasant and simply fitting.
He actually starts out the way he's supposed to stay... sort of straight to the drydown. Nothing that has to sort itself out, no disharmonies, bursting peaks, fluctuations or tarnishing, and all this without being boring.

The scent comes to the skin and is there, in a balanced perfection for me.
Warm-spicy-soft.
Like many spice orientals of this hit (I think of "Taklamakan" or "Larmes du Desert") he uses a spiciness that inevitably makes you think of warm, golden sand, but doesn't look dry or dusty, but rather tries to reflect a kind of noble fertility.
Fully aromatic, without being overloaded or difficult to work with.
The resins (Benzoe and Labdanum belong to my favorites meanwhile) provide the slightly sweetish depth and spices (Here Koreander and Oregano, which clearly perceptibly weave through the course) lift it up again and make sure that the scent does not sink one-dimensionally hard, as it is unfortunately often the case with many less thoughtfully composed Orientals.

A complex composition that doesn't need to hide. I think vanilla at the base is a good choice. I don't take it as such, but the fragrance remains pleasantly soft despite the spice and resin charge and almost a little creamy towards the end.

I must say, he did not take my breath away, as Bois D´ascèse did before him, for example, but he overwhelmed me in his gentleness and coherence in a different way.
He shows himself to me as a reliable companion, on whom I can count, of whom I know who he is.
No hidden facets, massive surprises or secret changeability.
It fascinates me by an all-embracing rounded smell picture and no single corner, edge or note disturbs me also only a short moment long.
No fragrance has created that before him.

The durability is a dream for me. It doesn't stick to me for ages, like other fragrances do to me, which often gets on my nerves, but it doesn't blow away after a few hours to a light breeze.
I'd estimate it at 8-9 hours.

Many thanks to Hildchen for the completely unexpected Pröbchen, which will become a bottle at the next opportunity.
Where my nose takes me
That scents can be like that!

I haven't been in the fragrance world that long. Designer scents were all I knew. Through the intensive occupation with the art of smell since half a year, I got to know so many scents and names. Among them the house of Luten.

I remember half a year ago when I first contacted Ambre Sultan in a perfumery, I still turned up my nose, but at that time I was always drawn to the small magical strip of paper. Now, after buying a small bottle, the warm spiciness of this fragrance envelops and fills me. I'm not ready to smell single ingredients yet: But to look forward to a fragrance in the evening that you can spray on in the morning is pure luck.

And there's still so much to smell. Where may my nose lead me to?

Ambre Sultan - Review
One of the very first Lutens I ever smelled along with Chergui. It left an impression on me then which wasn't necessarily a positive one, but a few years later I feel I know it well enough to review. Please watch my video review and comment of your experience with this fragrance

KimJongKimJong 4 months ago
The more you experience other Ambery fragrances, the more you will discover the greatness of Ambre Sultan.
EsojoEsojo 7 months ago
I recognize it is a well-executed perfume, but I don't find it an otherworldly amber. I'll keep revisiting it...!
FranknSenseFranknSense 2 years ago
This perfume is my personal spice bomb in an ambiance of amber, balsams and resins. It's a complex fragrance but so easy to love.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
This scent is made of spices & resins!. But bare in mind that the spices are wonderful and the resins are fantastic. Truly recommended.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 3 years ago
One of the most beautiful ambers ever. Smells so exquisite, so refined and luxurious. I absolutely love this one.

Für meinen Vater 07.02.2017*
by Seejungfrau
by Serge
by Serge
by Miaw2
Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan (Version aus 2015)
by MrNiceGuy
by Somebody
by JJ84
by JJ84

Popular Serge Lutens

Chergui by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Vétiver oriental by Serge Lutens Fourreau noir by Serge Lutens Fumerie turque by Serge Lutens De profundis by Serge Lutens Sidi Bel-Abbès by Serge Lutens Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Iris silver mist by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Douce amère by Serge Lutens Bornéo 1834 by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens L'orpheline by Serge Lutens Cuir mauresque by Serge Lutens