Arabie by Serge Lutens

Arabie is a popular perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 2000. The scent is spicy-oriental. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Resins, Benzoin, Date, Dried fig, Clove, Candied tangerine peel, Cumin, Labdanum, Nutmeg, Myrrh, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Tonka bean, Cedar, Cistus

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.04.2020.

NjdebNjdeb 8 years ago

„What a long, strange trip it's been”

This is one amazing whirlwind of a scent. There are so many aromas swirling in this perfume. Sweet stewed fruits, rich resins, warm spices and something...
SherapopSherapop 8 years ago

„Cumin Fruitcake, Anyone?”

"This smells familiar" was the first phrase out of my mouth upon applying Serge Lutens ARABIE. Then it only remained to determine what, precisely,...
Coca Cola
A very special fragrance, concentrated, strong spices.
A Cola scent with Vetiviee very warmhearted but delicately melting.
Who likes oriental scents, should get this one here,
I would classify him in the top note at e.g. KL by K. Lagerfeld , and Jcc Castelbajac s No. 2
The fragrance slowly develops into the green area and reminds me of ENVY Men
of the Gucci brand.

Dosage; Exactly, the dosage I would less is more, because the odor quality is
above average.
I guess Arabie rather has an Eau de Parfum or Parfum Konzentrat

Emorandeira
The smell of tipical Christmas dried fruits
I bought this perfume blind because i found a shop with very good discounts un serge lutens perfumes. I was deciding between this one, chergi and datura noir. Finally i have decided yo buy this one because if his notes and i am really not regretful. I have found a very original scent, different from all the perfumes o have tried before. An oriental scent very sweet, spicy and creamy. It is true that It is no easy yo find the moment to wear It,but when i find It It becones an olfative experience. Performance is above average.

Scent: 8.5
Longevity: 9
Sillage: 6
Versatility: 5
Quality/price: 6
My opinión: 8
A light in the dark
Serge Lutens had a very special souvenir in his luggage when he returned from a trip to the Orient.
Back home again, he dreamed of the wonders of Arabia, of serails and the fairy tales of 1001 Nights.
Inspired by the scents of oriental markets, he created a perfume in which he combined components that smell particularly good when dried.

So Arabie takes me by the hand and leads me past the lavishly filled stalls of the traders who offer me figs, dates, nuts and mandarins for sale...
and on to the spice bowls with cumin, nutmeg and cloves.

An ancient doctrine says,
that dry ingredients are noble in nature,
while moist ingredients embody lust......
Thus the connection to the serails is obvious, in which one gave oneself to physical pleasures of any kind.

Arabie is a very sensual composition.
There is no fragrance process of head, heart and base in the usual sense.
With the first drop she shows a presence that is unparalleled.
The dried fruits and spices form a bond and unfold a full golden warmth on the skin.
Sandalwood and cedar resins contribute with woody notes and almost convey meditative peace and relaxation.

This mood seduces me to a journey through time.
I see myself sitting in my grandparents' kitchen.
It was in the pre-Christmas period and while my parents continued in their hectic activity, I found here the contemplative hours that make the togetherness so valuable.
Candlelight illuminated the room and bathed everything in a warm light:
the nutcracker, the smokehouse, the shell with mandarins, nuts and gingerbread.
A delicious spicy fragrance rose into my nose and made me understand that Christmas Eve was not far away.
With the help of my grandfather I wrote wish lists and often the anticipation of a toy was much more intense than the gift itself.
When I was two and a half years old, the following story happened, which I have no memory of, but which was recorded on tape.
My parents had placed numerous gifts under the Christmas tree, including an expensive doll's pram with a doll inside.
When I was called into the living room and saw the decorated tree with all its lights, I was so impressed by this splendour that I did not take note of the toys.
Only one small mushroom, which was attached to the tree, attracted my full attention.
To my mother's question: "What is the most beautiful thing? " I shouted enthusiastically:
"A little mushroom !"

Arabie's my Christmas scent.
He reminds me of those childhood days, which my grandfather filled out with what was valuable to me:
Warmth and security.

Arabie with its room-filling opulence radiates a full, spicy warmth even after hours on the skin.
A few dried fruits and spices are enough for a little luck.

He who sits in the dark, lights himself a dream.
What is better suited as stimulation than a beautiful scent?!

A wonderful olfactive trip
I wasn't in a luxuous drugstore when I tested for the first time "Arabie", but at the market . It was so unexpected to find a precious fragrance like this one in that popular place!
Well, I sprayed it and my olfactive trip began: smelling the spicy and smokey notes combined with the dried fruits and the resins I imagined to be in a middle eastern suk or also in a wonderful oriental palace.
All the notes are perfectly combined with a wonderful, powerful and longlasting result.
This fragrance is rich without beeing too heavy and it's a real masterpiece. Unfortunately, the price is high and I can smell it only from the drugstore testers!
Dralle spice soap
My great-grandmother wore her knee-length snow-white hair artfully attached - and was also otherwise a beauty.

Old photographs prove this irrefutable fact.

No wonder the company Dralle wooed her as a model for her hair lotion.
But Uromi's parents found such a job unbecoming for a decent girl and vetoed it.

So Franziska von der W. didn't end up on the glossy magazines, but in the family album.
But the products of Dralle were still appreciated.

So is the aromatic spice soap in its attractive packaging - a ship heavily laden with the treasures of the Orient.
Arabie could also be packed, because its start reminds me of the well-known soap.

This ship is loaded up to the railing with spices, so that it rolls easily.
Dates and figs are rolling over the planks - next to stacked wooden boxes filled with nutmeg, sandalwood and tobacco.
The Hanseatic merchant made a good deal, and also bought bundles of cistus roses.
Satisfied, he walks across the deck, and perceives the resinous trees on the shore.
Distance is in the air.

A rewarding journey - with me as a blind passenger on board.

Arabie
“Arabie” is the first perfume I've sampled from the renowned house of Serge Lutens. Having read numerous reviews of his fragrances, ranging from the words of high praise, to the comments insisting that while the fragrances are unquestionably unique, they're practically unwearable, down to the utterly negative reviews, I became quite curious about what effect Lutens' creations would have on me.

As the name suggests, “Arabie” is supposedly a bottled replica of the aroma exuded by an Arab market (or a Moroccan market, with which Serge Lutens must have some “nose-on” experience). I've never been to an Arab market but should “Arabie” capture its olfactory atmosphere even semi-accurately, visiting a place like this goes straight onto my bucket list. From the very beginning, “Arabie” announces its presence on my wrist intensely, first with spices, the most dominant of which is cumin. The cumin is joined by nutmeg and cloves. Also, in the background, the dried fruits start to emerge and gradually reduce the spiciness and add a dash of sweetness to the composition. The sweetness in the heart and the base is further sustained by the date.

My final verdict: “Arabie” is an adorable scent. I especially like the fact that it lives up to its name and proves that even in today's perfume industry there are still individuals bold enough to translate their visions and dreams into fragrances without being too concerned about the criticism they may attract. “Arabie” is a rather challenging perfume as it preserves its dense, spicy-sweet aroma throughout its development. Yet at the same time, I see it as a very promising introduction to the Serge Lutens line and, oh boy, now I can hardly wait to try some more!

MasterLi
Fruits, spice... and everything nice.
This is a fragrance with a personality! I really love how the fragrances of Serge Lutens manage to challenge me constantly. To me that is a sign of a very good fragrance you don't want a fragrance which is too predictable or similar to the same trends time and time again. Instead, here I find a fragrance which challenges my nose and which gets me interested.

What I love about Arabie is that Lutens and Sheldrake have thrown away the rule book here. Instead of having a top, middle and base, you get the whole weight of the fragrance in one spray. As soon as you spray you get the spices, the stewed fruit, the amber and resins and myrrh. It's an explosion of colour and spice all at once.

To me it smells very festive, like Christmas in fact. This is like rich heavy desserts of spiced fruits and rum and deep, rich flavours.

Some people say this smells like cooking. If that is true, then to me this represents more of desserts and dried fruits, or the process of making them. Cloves, cinnamon, plumbs, apricots & raisins. All these I get out of this fragrance. Very Moroccan! All these ingredients are found in Moroccan and Arab North African cuisine.

The ironic thing is that this fragrance is named Arabie, which means "Arabia". Now to me, anything "Arabian" (when applied to fragrances) means Oud, or Agarwood. Here, Sheldrake has interpreted all of these "oriental" notes through fruits and spices (and not with Oud). So I find it original and creative, and I really admire this fragrance.

Personally, I think to wear this one you have to be confidant in yourself, because people will notice that you smell "different". Basically you will smell like a walking, spicy fruitcake. But in a subtle way, because I want to stress that there is nothing too loud about this fragrance. People will smell you but it's not a beast.

Overall, I would advise people to wear this in cooler weather, and especially around Christmas. If anything, to me Arabie is the perfect Christmas fragrance. You could wear it all year round, but you need the confidence and personality for it, as you will be noticed, and in a good way too. Very original and creative effort by Lutens and Sheldrake with this one. Good stuff!

LicoriceRain
Nice gourmand dries down not-so-nicely
Arabie certainly has clove in it, but the clove doesn’t overpower the rest of the notes, although very noticeable. In a small way, it reminds me of L’Artisan’s Piment Brulant, but only because they both share a clove note. Arabie is definitely gourmand, while PB is more like a vegetable garden, raw and uncooked. Also, Arabie is definitely sweeter than PB because PB isn’t sweet at all. I suspect most people will either love it or hate it. It seems to drown itself, during drydown, in a watery base, as I suspect is typical with most Serge Lutens scents. Overall, during drydown, any pleasant smell is gone. I can certainly live without Arabie.

Miaw2
Difficult to understand this fragrance
Dried or old fruits? Maybe.

Hard to use? Yes.

Unique smell? Indeed.

Arabie must be worn for several times in order to be understood.

I did hate the first times, and now i do recognize a unique and wonderful smell on this.

Lots of dried fruits, cloves and nutmeg all over a resin base that makes this fragrance really complex and challenging.

Sillage, projection and lasting power are medium.

Updated January 2014

sweetie, darling
Arabie makes me understand the attraction of the dessert or gourmand fragrance, a category that otherwise doesn’t captivate me. Granted, Arabie is spared from the gourmand category by its emphasis on woods, but it is also sweeter than many gourmands, so the distinction seems weak.

Yes, Arabie is over the top: too much spice, way too sweet, too many dried fruits macerated in syrup. All true. But isn’t it lovely? Applied with a moderate hand it is my favorite sweet fragrance. I can’t say that there is any particular element that actually balances the sweetness, but the benzoin twists the sweetness a bit and makes it appealing.

FranknSenseFranknSense 139 days ago
This perfume reminds me of the Moroccan Atlas. The confited dates and figs are simply delicious. They sweeten my nose and water my mouth.
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 11 months ago
Do you like the tipical dried figs and dates from Christmas? Then you Will LOVE this fragance...
Oscarsh86Oscarsh86 14 months ago
Dried fruit, dates and spices. Very, very, very sweet but I like it.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 15 months ago
Sometimes just by looking at a salad you know that the taste is wonderful. This is a fantastic salad of dried fruits, smoky resins & woods.
AncaanAncaan 3 years ago
Arabie, how I love thee! It's everything I want in a winter perfume: sweet, sticky, spicy, aromatic. Wonderful creation!

by Taamii
by Taamii
by Perdita666
by Perdita666
Weihnachtsmarkt :P :D ;):)
by pudelbonzo
by Merlina
by InkiBlinki
by InkiBlinki

Popular Serge Lutens

Chergui by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Fourreau noir by Serge Lutens Vétiver oriental by Serge Lutens Fumerie turque by Serge Lutens Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens De profundis by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens Iris silver mist by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Douce amère by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens Bornéo 1834 by Serge Lutens L'orpheline by Serge Lutens Rahät loukoum by Serge Lutens