Chergui by Serge Lutens
Top 54 in Unisex Perfume
Chergui is a popular perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 2001. The scent is spicy-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Amber, Hay, Honey, Iris, Leather, Musk, Clary sage, Rose, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Juniper berry, Frankincense

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 19.01.2021.

Smoetn
Chergui - the better Tobacco Vanilla?
Right away - who likes sweet, gourmand fragrances, will also like Chergui, very much even. He reit himself wonderfully in the ranks of the great Gourmands - Naxos, Pure Havane, Tobacco Vanilla, Spice Bomb, to name just a few.

What I was looking forward to this fragrance and how long I had to wait for this fragrance until it finally landed with me in the form of a bottling.

So now it is here and I am strongly excited. Chergui - the name is program. Chergui is namely the name of a continental east or southeast wind that blows in the southernmost part of Morocco, a hot and dry wind from the Sahara. I've never been to Morocco (but plan to!), but when it smells like this there, you could almost think of emigrating?

As many have already commented before me, Chergui comes along classically oriental, but for me also with a special note. Initially quite sweetish (here it reminds most Tobacco Vanilla, even if it is certainly not a fragrance twin), where clearly the honey note can be made out, joins with time more and more something dry. Possibly this is the much-cited hay, although I can only guess at this. For me personally, the rose in particular also comes out relatively clearly, which for me makes the scent even better. At this point, it would almost say Chergui is a great blend of Tobacco Vanilla and Noir de Noir, to stick with Tom Ford. If you layered both fragrances, I could see Chergui being their baby.

Then, in the drydown, the tobacco clearly comes out. But not a cold stale smoke, as it seems to me with Tobacco Oud, but a dry, slightly sweet tobacco. This then pairs with the typical smell of sandalwood and becomes even more interesting. Here there is then but also my only point of criticism - as soon as the honey and the rose have withdrawn, the fragrance is somewhat more arbitrary, respectively, the magic of the beginning is lost that a bit.

The sillage is very strong, especially in the beginning, just by the sweetness of the honey. After 2 to 3 hours, the sillage then decreases, namely exactly when the fragrance is a little drier and the rose with a very delicate leather touch comes out stronger. This is where my headline comes in. Those who know my commentary on Tobacco Vanille know what comes next. Chergui outshines TV by quite a bit! I like both fragrances very much, but Chergui then ultimately but simply offers more for its money. The durability is also absolutely fine - on my skin, the fragrance was perceptible for about 8 hours (on the other hand, TV retains its magic for this throughout).

Overall, the fragrance comes from very high quality and can certainly be worn by both sexes without any problems; a real age restriction does not know the fragrance. From the season certainly rather something for the colder season, so autumn and winter, but that should be clear to everyone. The fragrance is gourmand-oriental-spicy and has rightly a high rating here on the platform. So if you like such fragrances, you should definitely have tested Chergui; you will most likely not be disappointed
Monsieur Lutens, I believe it is love
After I already own two other fragrances from Serge Lutens, I have now treated myself to the Chergui "blind". The description and the comments just wouldn't let go of me, I just HAVE to have it.
And what an excellent blind purchase !!!
My spouse is from Morocco and I have spent wonderful times there.
One of my favourite memories is a trip to the desert. There we lay on carpets in a Berber tent, drank Moroccan tea and enjoyed life.
When I apply Chergui, that memory comes back. I am back in the tent and enjoy the moment - completely relaxed and resting in myself.
Somehow Mr. Lutens actually captured Morocco - my husband was sniffing all the time and noticed that it smelled like Guelmin (the last place on the edge of the desert).

There are plenty of scents from Mr. Lutens - so far I have three, if you count the one who is on his way here, there are four. But each of these fragrances has a uniqueness, a special feature that I never knew about. I can't name it concretely either, what makes this "special". But one thing I do know: I will sniff through the repertoire of Monsieur Lutens, because Monsieur hits my nerve like no other.
Victoria225
He hasn't returned my love
Chergui has enchanted me from the beginning. Amber, hay, rose, honey, tobacco... A composition that transports you to the Moroccan desert I'd never seen anything like it before. I really thought I could "smell" the desert wind. It's a great art to create a scent that imitates a wind. I think this has worked out very well here. In my eyes, Chergui is a masterpiece.
Unfortunately he doesn't like me the way I like him - on my skin the tobacco sings solo :-( I think the scent sounds much better on men's skin than on mine. Very, very, very sad... But Chergui, I still love you, even if you don't return my love
DarkWinterCS
Somehow classic desert, but also modern emirate
Ohhh my first Serge Lutens. I'm so curious to see what's coming to me too. Is he as oriental as I imagined? Do I hear the notes of hay or is my nose playing tricks on me ?

Those were my first thoughts. You recommended Chergui and Amber Sultan to me and I was more curious than usual. After the recommendation I also informed on YouTube, this increased my anticipation even more. Since I am currently very much on the Amber and Orient trip, these two fragrances now come at the right time
If I had to describe Chergui in one sentence, it would be like my commentary heading. On the one hand, it's a classic Oriental, but it's also somehow retained its modern influences, even though the fragrance is from 2001. Or rather "2001 Odyssey through the Emirates".

First of all I would like to talk about the sillage and durability. During the first two to three hours you can hear the scent not only on your arm. It already creates a very exciting cloud around you, which you can hardly get rid of. This is mainly due to the honey, more about this in the description of the fragrance. The shelf life is also worth seeing, even if it flattens out a bit from the middle due to its development.
The fragrance is also going through a development that you would not expect at the start. Because after an explosive start, it becomes noticeably unsweeter, much softer and a little cooler over time.

Honey, iris and leather really start from zero to a hundred here and bring the nose into close contact with a beehive. Just the beginning comes across like the typical desert scent, but again a bit sweeter and more intense. But the sweetness is a bit understated.
And indeed, after a few minutes, you can hear a certain note of hay and rose. Smelling a little bit funny in one scent, but somehow something different from it.
After some time of wearing, the scent changes into areas that are more often perceived today and are also good for the scent. Because the sweetness decreases noticeably, leaving behind an almost unsweet honey. Still a little sticky, but unsweet. This is accompanied by some tobacco and creamy sandalwood in a somewhat cooler environment.

The bottom line is that the fragrance is actually very ordinary and somewhat mainstream in the heart + base note range. I would never have suspected this after the start and I'm even a bit disappointed.
So it will unfortunately not be a fragrance that will remain with me for a long time and probably will not be absorbed as a complete bottle,

But you should get the scent under your nose if you want to feel a wicked hay note. Interesting is the dudt, but in the end quite common.
My first lute...
...is Chergui and we're getting warm together.
It was my souvenir from my last visit to the perfumery, and I was even very unsure about buying it. I had read many good things about him, but when I finally had him on my hand, it was not love at first sight. Even now, almost a week later, I'm still wondering what exactly was the deciding factor for the purchase. Because it is not exactly cheap and it is not particularly versatile (actually).
I think in the end it was probably his interesting scent character that fascinated me so much to spend 180 Euros on a big bottle (the small ones were out, much to the chagrin of my wallet).
Because there is something about Chergui that draws me to him.
It starts spicy and kind of medicinal. Then there's the hay... and honey, honey, honey and more honey. Very sweet and pompous. Definitely oriental. So far, not for the faint of heart. This combination will hold for the first hour. Then the hay will decrease and the honey will come out even more. Although the start was already damn sweet, I have the feeling that Chergui's sweetness will increase significantly as it progresses. Later it gets even creamier and I almost have associations with honey milk.
Nevertheless, there is something dry about the fragrance. Makes sense, considering it's named after a desert wind. Well done, mr. Luten, that's what I call a mark.
The durability is enormous. It lasts all day and the sillage is also strong. Therefore dose carefully, not least because the fragrance knows how to polarize. Two sprays should be enough for the day.
Chergui is definitely a fragrance for cold days, it is really uncompromising. I can't even imagine how it would look on the subway at the height of summer.
It is all the more absurd that Chergui still has a certain potential of everyday scent for me. I haven't tested it as such yet (which will probably take some time due to the approaching summer...), but I have more and more the feeling that it can function as such.
It is also definitely unisex, although I think it is well in the middle.
I would estimate the carrier from the middle of 20 upwards.
To be honest, I'm still a bit at a loss when it comes to evaluating this fragrance. But I like it more and more and slowly the feeling is disappearing that it was just an impulse purchase. You have to get involved with it rather than wanting to like it with all your might, then it reveals itself to you. I am confident about that
LG
I - female - fell in love with Chergui
At the beginning I have to say that with this scent I needed a second try. But after this one it is then about me! I don't know what got into me when I put the bottle back on the shelf at the first test - but today I have to say: I've fallen in love!

It is definitely a fragrance that can be worn by a woman as well as a man...I'm not a fan of the idea of a fragrance just for a woman or a man anyway! This marketing completely passes me by! Because if I like a fragrance, I wear it even if "Fragrance for men" is printed on it ;)

But now to the fragrance: it is unbelievable! First I smell vanilla (funny is not listed muahah) and something smoky, which is for sure the tobacco! Frankincense does not come out on my skin, which I find however also quite good :) The name Chergui stands for a Persian desert and in my opinion it was chosen really appropriate! Chergui is a hot, sweet and oriental scent that you just have to test it.
For the summer rather inappropriate, but in winter unbelievable! Looooos is testing him, he's really got it going on!

RahulESJ
Chergui | A lovely unique Tobacco, hay scent best for winter!
Id be frank. When I first smelled Chergui, it came out very loud and piercing to my nose. I remember I had sprayed it on my hand and the whole day, I repeatedly got whiffs of it. I was not sure If I liked it. However, overtime Chergui grew on me and now I have it my collection! ⁣⁣ ⁣⁣

Chergui is mysterious to my nose. Still after smelling it so many times, I always discover something new. Sometimes, It smells strongly of musk, then often it’s very sweet with that honey note, then at times, it’s has a leathery animalic tone. It’s fascinating. Sometimes, depending on the climate and the mood, it really shows different facets. ⁣⁣ ⁣⁣

However, to my nose overall, Chergui is a beautiful sweet scent with a prominent note of Tobacco and honey. It’s also very powdery. I would suppose is Iris & Hay (which also makes it earthy and dry). The darkness comes from the incense which I really enjoy. ⁣⁣ ⁣⁣

The dry down is also where Chergui also shines. It’s just beautiful creamy sandalwood & musk! ⁣⁣ ⁣⁣
Sanji
Best winter scent in the niche category
After I bought a bottling on Ebay, because there is no perfume anywhere in a perfumery, I was extremely enthusiastic. For me the best winter niche scent. The honey gives delicacy and sweetness, amber and tobacco sexyness and character and iris, incense etc.. Profundity.
Absolute recommendation for people who like scents that go in the direction of Herod, Tobacco Vanilla, Tabac Rouge or Spciebomb Extreme.
Augusto
...and the camel is munching hay.
Hay and honey, with something fresh, slightly fruity sweet, perhaps orange peel, grated. A pleasant tingling sensation in the nose opens this fragrance. With intensive inhalation even the effect of menthol. This fresh effect with such a sweet spicy scent is very special and immediately frees AugustA from any possible heaviness. Like a gust of olfactory wind, enriched with the most beautiful oriental delicacies, there must be a bazaar nearby.
Over this there is also a matt brown effect, like malt sweets. At the same moment, the scent opens up again, shines and shimmers. Amber, gold and silver.

I buy a handful of dates in the bazaar and taste the slightly floury, honey-soaked taste, keeping the stone in my mouth for a long time. You can push it back and forth for hours. Like some oriental herbal fragrances, this one also has a note reminiscent of medicine and spice cabinets made of dark wood. Old, very old. Aromatic muff vs. menthol-citric herb mixture. A herb broth with licorice maybe. When boiling up, fragrance vapours develop which carry far and soak the wearer almost to the point.

That strengthens and the long ride through the desert is soon forgotten. Someone smokes a pipe, the leather saddle is carefully greased. The camel mops one tuft of hay after the other and drinks its fill.

Conclusion: Complex and beautiful in the menthol incense and honey-wood nuances. Hay reference. Not for every day, nothing for hay fever. But I like him once in a while. One of my favourite honey scents.
After a few hours of endurance, he gets a bit too dense for me regularly. That's why I only do it once in a while.

Carlitos01
The sweet, hot and dry desert wind
The word "chergui" comes from the Arabic "alshrq" or sharqi, which is the name given to anything that comes from the East, namely the Eastern wind in Morocco. Serge Lutens lives in Morocco and is passionate for its culture. Many of his inspirations comes from this magnific country, so diverse in habits and human geography. Quoting Serge Lutens about Chergui, he defines it as "a fire spread by the wind" referring to the eastern wind that blows from the Sahara desert, hot and dry like the perfume.

To my nose the fragrance composition enhances hay sugar, roasted honey, tobacco leaves, incense and amber as well the inevitable sandalwood notes. There are some types of hay leaves with a high sugar content, like the sugarcane hay and the "hay of Greece" (methi or fenugreek). In the case of the latter, its seems to have an aroma very similar to the aroma of pancake maple syrup, adding this way an unusual type of sweetness to the perfume.

Serge Lutens ideas and Christopher Sheldrake execution, managed to achieve an exquisite and pleasant and unique result. Even if it is a very "flat" fragrance (not a defect) it opens mainly with the floral scents of rose and Iris. A moment later you notice the enclosed sweetness of roasted honey and amber covering the fantastic dry Virginia sparse tobacco leaves, This stage lasts for 2.5~3.0 hours with an above average sillage and projection.
To frame this unique scent with similar fragrances is quite difficult. I would say that if compared with designer known tobacco fragrances, is miles away from London and Havana and just a bit close to The Dreamer, but the dryness and the sweet hay/roasted honey marks the difference. After this stage, the fragrance remains dry but becomes smoother, while the incense and the woods evolve to a suede like scent. All through its duration, Chergui is quite masculine for my nose and I have some difficulties to consider it unisex.

How may a non weatherman rate this hot dry wind?
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Scent opening............9.0 (sweet honey and hay dominant)
Scent Dry Down.........9.5 (less sweet but more resinous and woody)
Longevity (h) ..............9.0 (Up to 10 hours with 3 sprays)
Sillage (ft)....................8.0 (up to 7 ft sillage and 2.5 h projection with 3 sprays)
Versatility....................8.5 (above average but not really for the Summer)
Usability......................8.0 (Everywhere except hot indoors & outdoors)
Compliments..............8.5 (Attracts a lot ofcompliments; Draws attention due to its uniqueness)
Uniqueness................10.0 (This fragrance is unique)
Quality.........................9.5 (quite high)
Presentation...............8.5 (a matter of opinion)
Price.............................6.0 (€85 for 100 ml tester + taxes)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Average: 8.50/10.0
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;

Opinion about Chergui:
You want to smell different but in a very good way? The answer is Chergui. Use it in colder weather, in formal, occasions, a night out, or clubbing.
Recommended? Yes due to its features and uniqueness.
Blind buy worthy? No, With this price and uniqueness, you better try it first. It's not a please everybody perfume.

Music: STING & CHEB MAMI - "DESERT ROSE"

HugoMontezHugoMontez 2 months ago
A really good honey-tobacco scent, more focused on the sweet side. Super comforting and excellent for Fall and winter! Long lasting. 4/5
KimJongKimJong 1 year ago
I like my wife wearing Chergui. But it smells like a cosmetic pouch for me to wear it. In my opinion it's quite feminine.
DanushDanush 1 year ago
Smokey and deep, with a hint of rose in the drydown. A masterpiece.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
Chergui smells sweet and seductive, like burnt honey. On my skin the sweetness, and dry warmth reminds me of a sweet wine from old vines.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 2 years ago
One of the most cozy fragrances ever. So delicious for the colder days. Works wonders in hotter nights too. It transforms itself
Pietros921Pietros921 3 years ago
How can you guys review a reformulated perfume .. this is an absolutly great masterpiece now reformulated and.very different from the origin

by IrisNobile
........... Kaminzeit ..... wie wär’s mit einem Punsch? .. ;)
by Ovaissaleem
by Baloma
by Baloma
by Meursault
by Meursault
Thank you for your words!
by Timmama
by DanyPereyra
by Mcgeitner
by Mcgeitner

Popular Serge Lutens

Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Fourreau noir by Serge Lutens Vétiver oriental by Serge Lutens Fumerie turque by Serge Lutens De profundis by Serge Lutens Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Iris silver mist by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Douce amère by Serge Lutens Sidi Bel-Abbès by Serge Lutens L'incendiaire by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Bornéo 1834 by Serge Lutens L'orpheline by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens