Chypre rouge by Serge Lutens
Review by Dalmajen
Helpful Review    11/10/2013
10.0 5.0 5.0 3.0/10
Lost in the Forest
I had to really persevere to test this particular Serge Lutens fragrance. I initially just wanted to run immediately, and scrub it off. But, I decided to go through the stages, and try to understand this perfume. First of all, the opening is a bitter blast of overwhelming pine. But, not a pine I am familiar with. More like been lost deep in a pine forest, with the scent of pine needles magnified by 100. And to add to this ferocious blast of pine, add copious amounts of thyme! I have to admit, I felt rather faint for the first 10 or 15 minutes. Then, after the opening shock seemed to wind down a bit, it was a bit more bearable to sniff. There was an almost slightly burnt smell in the background. I didn't really detect much jasmine at all, which may have been drowned out by the thyme note. As far as the honey note, well it was very slight, but began to develop slightly after about 30 minuets. The dry down was much better than the opening and heart notes, but it does not transform this fragrance, in my opinion. It still remains a brash, and cold fragrance to my nose. It doesn't really strike me as a unisex fragrance either. It tends to be more for masculine tastes. It looks lovely in the presentation, but you can never judge a book by it's cover!