Datura noir 2001 Eau de Parfum

Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens
Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 2001. The scent is floral-sweet. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

MyrrhMyrrh
VanillaVanilla
CoconutCoconut
ApricotApricot
DaturaDatura

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 26.10.2021.

In 2006 a limited bottle collection, "Les Fauves Royaux", was released, attaching the design Panthère to this scent. A bottle collection with card game design followed. The scent was attached to the design of the suit Spades.

Multiple notes are reported for this fragrance. See Parfumo Research for details.

Elixir of the Devil. The Femme Fatale of Serge Lutens
"Datura fastuosa (The Beautiful Datura)" - this is the name of a novella by E.T.A. Hoffmann, one of the most famous writers of German Romanticism. The novella is about a naive youth named Eugenius who becomes involved in the mysterious machinations of the diabolical Count Angelo Mora. The titular plant, Datura fastuosa, plays a central role in the intrigue surrounding Eugenius and becomes a symbol of temptation and beautiful deception in the narrative.

Since E.T.A. Hoffmann is one of my favorite authors, I naturally couldn't help but try the fragrance, whose name reminded me of the hoffmannian novella. Back then (a few years ago), the very first thing I was drawn to was perfume names, not fragrances. If the name appealed to me and made me curious, the perfume had to be tested. And with Serge Lutens fragrances, I found the strangest and most intriguing word creations! After many tests, for the time being, three perfumes from him moved in with me one after the other - including the beautiful mysterious Datura noir.

No doubt Serge Lutens - just like E.T.A. Hoffmann back then - was inspired by the reputation of Datura as a narcotic hallucinogenic plant, by this "devil's herb" that has been used in so-called witch potions and initiation rituals since rather in the Old and New World. Even today, the description of this nightshade plant in any reference book is accompanied by the reference to its high toxicity.
Did the perfume then live up to this "devilish" reputation? Does the perfume smell as if its floral ingredients came from a hoffmannesque garden? The fragrance is generally considered heavy, sweet, floral-opulent (which is off-putting to many), although there are other voices on Parfumo that describe the scent as light, creamy and tame. However, the creator himself has dubbed the Datura as the seductress of twilight ("séductrice du crépuscule") and thus we are all entitled to expect a beguiling (even sensory-stealing) effect:)

Well, Datura Noir has that effect for me, but in a subtle - indeed, dodgy - way. For me, it is the olfactory embodiment of the femme fatale, a type of woman that has been present in human perception and thus in art and literature since ancient times (as we know it, for example, from the film noir of the 1940s). A mysterious woman whose beauty seems enigmatic and threatening, but is always almost hypnotically attractive. A woman characterized by intelligence, certain coldness of feeling, desire for power and urge for self-determination, and therefore very often perceived as a demonic death-dealing seductress.

That's how the scent is for me - neither heavy nor overly sweet, but unmistakably strong in character and very attractive. It's floral, but in a wonderfully elegant and grown-up way - and please don't confuse grown-up with mature! As with another Serge Lutens I own, my fragrance note compass, which is also inaccurate anyway, fails here - I can't for the life of me list the exact sequence of floral notes and all the other ingredients, as they are so artfully woven together here. The scent is also not at all somber to me, but actually bright, or rather transparent. Yes, it possesses a certain glassy coolness for me, despite the warm creamy notes, which makes it seem distant.

It's neither clingy nor superficial, it's not everyday but it's suitable for everyday use, it doesn't hit any big curves in the course but stays true to its line without becoming boring - all thanks to its complexity and appeal. Yes, he is truly a femme fatale, once known as a dangerous seductress, nowadays simply a woman who knows what she wants and goes her own way:)

PS. And in the end, what does this have to do with E.T.A. Hoffman? Well, you probably won't be surprised to learn that there is also a femme fatale in the aforementioned novella - as the female counterpart to the Datura from the garden of the mysterious Count - namely the beautiful mysterious Countess Gabriela, whose charms almost became the undoing of the poor main hero. But don't worry - he managed to escape her fascination and her seductive powers. I am the attraction of the Serge Lutens fragrance, however, completely fallen:)

Elkay
The revenge of the white floral
This is the perfume that mermaids wear (in my imagination). Mythical creatures of narcotic beauty, but get too close and the dream becomes a nightmare!

It's a feminine white floral with the masterly touch of Mr. Sheldrake, who can do no wrong. But there's a catch: It's poisoned. The white floral (I don't know how datura smells but I smell strong, metallic tuberose here) is injected with bittersweet almond, giving it a mesmerizing but borderline headache-inducing charm.

This is not a sunny, happy, tropical white floral but a mystical, dizzying one instead. Wear it if you want to feel dangerous!

Indolic tuberose
Datura Noir is one of three tuberoses in the Serge Lutens scent library. Actually four if Cédre is to count as tuberose. Inspiration behind it is a very poisonous flower Datura (Devil's weed). What you are going to smell is mainly an indolic tuberose with some sweet, edible but not over-the-top touches - vanilla, almond and coconut are listed as main co-stars. This isn't a staple in my rotation as it's more on the feminine side but I like it a lot and enjoy smelling it on a woman. In my book, it doesn't beat out Tubereuse Criminelle by Lutens, which remains the only tuberose I wear regularly due to its high uniqueness factor and overall pleasure to wear.

Oriental, spicy, floral explosion
Datura Noir has a long note list.Tonkabean, almond,coconut,tuberose,lemon blossom, musk,heliotrope, myrrh,vanilla apricot,mandatin orange,chinese osmanthus-but they all work beautifully together to create a sublime floral with a sweet (almost gourmand) character that's simply delicious.The sweetness is never cloying or overwhelming and is balanced by an almost soapy vibe which I just loveIt's intoxicating, indolic creamines in a bottle.A beautiful creation that I love having in my collection.
OH sweet poison
What a beautiful day! The apple attack on my annoying stepdaughter has succeeded, and now the brat is finally out of action...now she is lying in a glass box, surrounded by 7 little grinning men, who don't know what to do without a cleaning lady. And such a young, crunchy... but I beg you, seven men and a young thing? That wouldn't have worked out anyway.

Please don't believe what you think you know about me. That I stare into a mirror every day, and ask it if I am the most beautiful, that is complete nonsense. I KNOW that I'm beautiful, not to say gorgeous, I don't have to question a weak-aged and blind mirror. This nonsense was invented by some grim brothers who had a big problem with self-confident women.

*hach* the day was so successful that I indulged in a new fragrance: "DATURA NOIR - Black jimson apple" *kicher* as fitting.

Immediately after the first spray, the fragrance starts stunning, slightly sweet, these stunning, deep notes must be of heliotrope and tuberose, there is something narcotic about it. But quickly it becomes brighter with me, easily stinging. And exactly this component runs like a red thread through the whole fragrance. In the course of time the fragrance becomes softer, more powdery, it seems to become softer, but this is deceptive, because this stabbing end comes out again and again. This is what makes the whole thing so exciting and prevents the fragrance from drifting into the all too lovely, pleasing. It could be the jimsonweed sticking out of here like that. I can't say exactly, because I've never smelled jimsonweed before. The bitter almond makes for this bitter sweetness, and mandarins, lemon blossom and coconut play something with the nose, lead them astray, only to disappear again, and make room for this strange, indefinable note that keeps me going until the end.
As already mentioned, this fragrance does not want to be pleasing, especially not nice or sweet. This is not a fragrance that invites "Come closer and rub your nose at me" OH NO ! It's a scent that signals "Stick your nose into my business, and I'll bite it off!" Therefore, I can well understand that some people perceive the scent as "stinky", but "Datura Noir" is worth a test, and proves that you should also give stinky characters a chance.

The Sillage is moderate, and has at least no narcotic effect on my environment.
The durability is enormous - 12 hours with me
By the way, in clothing the scent becomes much quieter, softer and more flowery.
I would wear the scent in spring or autumn, but avoid it on hot days.

*where was I? Oh, yeah, my dress. I choose to the fragrance that poison green from flowing silk, in the décolleté I let Violet lace flash. What a pity, this hunter was a handsome guy, but he didn't obey me, I can't stand that at all..but it's nothing new that men easily lose their head with me...well, let's see, the grooms are not to be despised either *gibbel*

*oh* this scent, I feel wonderfully dangerous with it. I think I'll tell my friends "Fitzi" (Malefiz) and "Morti" (Morticia Adams) about the perfume, that could be something for them. Fitzi has also put a teenager in a deep sleep.

I wish you an enchanting day, and if you like, you are welcome to drop by for a cup of tea - to the apple pie...*traller*

ps: I thank the dear Stanze for the whole ;o)

Datura not so Noir
Serge Lutens: don’t take the word “noir “too seriously in this perfume because you’ll find instead a lot of white from coconut, tuberose, almonds all enveloped in creamy vanilla, in other words how “noir” can a suntan lotion smell? We are talking about a tropical frangrance (perhaps femme fatale went out on her summer leave somewhere on a tropical island) that starts with a big creamy sweet tuberose laced with almonds, a gourmand opening.

In the first moments the almonds have some bitterness reminding of the famous poison cyanide but it disappears very soon, vanilla is doing very well its job changing nicely the bitter smell of almonds into a sweet one that in time becomes sweeter and sweeter. Later on a floral fruity accord made out of tuberose and a short living apricot shows up not for long.

After some time , as the scent evolves on the skin, almonds are changing their partner, tuberose is left in favor of coconut, almonds together with coconut continuing their dance on the skin with a good portion of suntan lotion and a lot of sweet vanilla.

Sweet, Honeyed Floral...
There is something so intoxicating about this one. Like a narcotic flower which seduces with it's sweet decadent aroma. Datura Noir reminds me that Serge Lutens knows how to make astonishingly rich, decadent floral compositions. I'm taking about A La Nuit, the jasmine tuberose powerhouse, and my personal favourite, Fleurs d'Oranger, a heady mix of orange blossom and tuberose.

Here, the main flower is tuberose, coupled with almond, heliotrope and vanilla (a trio which compliment each other perfectly) and coconut, which adds an exotic touch to an already deeply exotic perfume.

If you are a fan of heady, tropical florals, then in my opinion you cannot beat a Serge Lutens perfume like this one. Why? Because not only does it smell fantastic, it actually smells natural too. It is as if you are in a tropical greenhouse full of rare, indolic, organic tropical flowers in full bloom, and you put your nose up to a huge white flower, and the smell knocks you off your feet. If you like sweet, green, natural and tropical (not to mention realistic), then give this one a go!

Flirting with Death
I decided to risk killing myself and bought Datura noir--datura being angel's trumpet, favored for suicide in many parts of the world. In consolation in case I die, SL sent along two miniatures, two samples, and two cards of their solid perfumes. Fair enough. I love Datura noir. If it were the last thing I smelled before exiting earth, I wouldn't mind. It has some of the bold earthiness I adore in Slumberhouse perfumes, here rendered by masters of scent. Mentally, the notes don't compute, but the fragrance thrills my nose and emboldens me. Anybody planning to rob a bank? I'll be your getaway driver. Want to kidnap a handsome guy and ravage him? I'll go. [Guys, stop lining up, this is just talk.] Something about Datura noir makes me want to get in my car at midnight and drive toward the rising sun. Or go to a perfume counter and buy out the stock...then buy a house in Paris to put it in. This is the smell of extravagance and danger. I feel my heart beating strangely. Am I dying for Datura noir? I can't blame Serge Lutens. On his website he warned us: "Like a diabolic trail of smoke left by Satan in Paradise. Some say this fragrance will enthrall you; others that it will make you crazy. Others still that excessive exposure will kill you dead.."

Just in case, I'd better wash it off and live to be outrageous another day.

A Tuberose to Admire...
I have finally found a Serge Lutens that I fell in love with, from start to finish. I was very skeptical about this fragrance, as it has a few notes that I don't usually go for. But,for some unknown reason, they worked so well on my skin, I was quite overcome with emotion! Tuberose is not one of my favorite notes, nor, is coconut. I actually was more worried about the coconut, as didn't want the dreaded sun tan lotion vibe! I was praying it wouldn't develop, like it did with Virgin Island Water coconut note! But, this is soft...and creamy. The tuberose is just right! Not loud, nor pushy. The almond is so inviting, and not over powdery. All the notes are complimenting each other, all the way through. I was not expecting such a wonderful harmony..I have tested quite a few of Lutens, and the day before I dug out this tester, I had spent the day wearing Un bois Vanille , thinking this might be the one...it was just a pure stroke of luck that decided to do a full day wearing of Datura Noir..so happy that I did, as I believe I have found my perfect Serge! From the top notes, through the mid notes, to the lovely dry down..very admirable!

19th century flash back
This strong flower scent transfers me to The Past.
It makes me wonder about the smells I would have known, had I lived a hundred or a hundred and fifty years ago (a good period: the beginning of photography, Flaubert, Tchechov and Proust alive): kitchen scents (madeleine), wardrobe scents, candy scents, heavy drapes, polished staircases, wooden boxes filled with correspondence, ladies who will not go out into the sun without a little parasol..
Also it reminds me of something from my own past, but I cannot pinpoint it.

Is it perfume? Not in the beginning..
Is it interesting? Very much so.
After half an hour it becomes more silky (musk?), but it is still heavy. After two hours it becomes a bit sparkling (lemon blossom?) and light even.
After four hours Datura Noir has become a darkhaired beauty with very pale skin who has kept everyone waiting - but not in vain.

Exciter76Exciter76 6 months ago
DN is reminiscent of a lotion or hair product from my teen years. Gardenia is VERY bubblegummy and creamy but DN is not gardenia-centric.
WildGardenerWildGardener 1 year ago
Serge Lutens does Beach Scent.
ItchynoseItchynose 3 years ago
Floral syrupy honey and coconut combo that becomes a smooth, pleasing suntan lotion on the dry down. Luscious, sensual, feminine to my nose.

by Zora
by Ninis
by Florecilla
by Florecilla
by Shivsri13
Betörender dunkler Duft von Tonkabohne, Mandel und Tuberrose. Geheinmisvoll und unvergeßlich!
by Olentia
by Blaustern
by Lilau
by Lilau

Popular Serge Lutens

Chergui (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Vétiver oriental by Serge Lutens Fourreau noir by Serge Lutens Fumerie turque by Serge Lutens De profundis by Serge Lutens Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens Iris silver mist by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Douce amère by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens L'orpheline by Serge Lutens L'incendiaire by Serge Lutens Bornéo 1834 by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Veilleur de Nuit by Serge Lutens