Féminité du bois (2009)

Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens

Féminité du bois is a popular perfume by Serge Lutens for women and was released in 2009. The scent is woody-spicy. It is still in production.

Beeswax, Clove, Honey, Cardamom, Musk, Orange blossom, Peach, Plum, Rose, Vanilla, Violet, Ylang-ylang, Cedar, Cinnamon

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 05.03.2020.

8.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

Zirkonia85
The wood magnet for all cases
Actually, everything that you look at with love is beautiful. The more someone loves the world, the more beautiful he will find it (Christian Morgenstern). So I could describe my now steadily growing relationship to this fragrance and to all the other fragrances at home and yes I have a personal relationship to every fragrance I own, because if I don't feel anything with a fragrance anymore, then I don't need it (anymore). Everybody has his or her own special scents and peculiarities.

I got Féminité du bois from a friend as an almost full bottle, because the fragrance was not compatible with her skin chemistry.

The first thing that came to my mind after spraying was a feeling of restrained sensuality and depth, which I like very much. The fragrance follows a subtle and slow seduction strategy. As the name already reveals, almost everything here is about wood, there is also a lot of cedar wood in it, but a wood that is pleasantly cuddly, as if I was sitting in front of the crackling fire in front of the fireplace with a fine woollen sweater and a cup of sweet black tea. The fragrance components are very well interwoven. It is a fine blend of cedar wood with musk, on plum and vanilla as well as beautiful spices and ylang ylang.

The fragrance is declared as a women's fragrance, but I can imagine that some men like it very much, because the sweetness is very well balanced here and I would definitely like to smell it on men. The durability is really very good, the fragrance lasts for about 13 hours. It is wearable for me from autumn to spring all day at normal dosage. For the evening it can be one more sprayer.

I have the quirk of testing the effect of scents in public to see how other people react to a scent in order to find out how well the scent is received, who likes what scents on me and what preferences different people have, which is sometimes a very interesting pastime.

For this reason, several tests were carried out in the subway, in exhibitions and museums and, at an advanced stage of wear, also in the gym. I have never received so many compliments for a fragrance before and the fragrance triggers some positive fragrance experience in men. I always wonder why the men in the gym train so close to me (much closer than usual), then I remember that I wear Féminité du bois, my men's magnet :-). What can I say, even gentlemen have really good taste
5.0 6.0 6.0 8.0/10

Who do I want to be?
As soon as I have sprayed this scent on, I hear Lestat from "Interview mit einem Vampir" quietly whispering into my ear: "Soft...so soft...", feel a caress on my cheek and sigh deep inside.

Here everything is loving and velvety.
Nothing is coarse or prickly.
Everything as if from one mould, I cannot perceive individual components:
Wood? Where?
Spices? Nah, or?
Honey? Real?
Flowers? I don't think so.
Fruits? You're talking about another scent, right?
Féminité du bois is very warm, tenderly sweet, lulling....and I don't need to know more.

That's how I always want to smell when I don't have to pretend or adapt - when I'm happy like a child about a rainbow, when I'm afraid of the dark, when I'm sad and urgently need a hug, when I listen to crickets at dusk, when I cuddle my children and sing a lullaby to my little one, when I watch a thunderstorm with fascination and shudder and lean firmly against it
So I would like to smell when I myself if I may be soft.
5.0 7.5 7.0/10

More Shiseido than Serge
Serge Lutens FEMINITE DU BOIS is striking in its subtlety. I suppose that makes sense since it was originally launched by Shiseido. The composition seems very simple to me: basically powdered cedar and violet with just a touch of oriental spice. I was even reminded a bit of my memory of Creed LOVE IN BLACK by the combination of cedar and violet. There is also some overlap with CERRUTI 1881. I like it.

Perhaps this version has been tamed in reformulation, but I'm not sure that I understand why precisely this linear, straightforwardly pleasant perfume is so famous. Yes, it's nice. But iconic? Really?

linear evolution
Evolution over time is highly valued in perfumery. Headnotes, heartnotes, basenotes. “Linear” is often derogatory. A linear fragrance or one that does not demonstrate substantial change over time is considered either lacking or a failure. The traditional categories, fougere, chypre, oriental (could we please get a better word for this?) are all defined by their changes over time. A good, proper perfume must demonstrate development yet consistency from start to finish.

FdB is a definitively linear fragrance. It demonstrates strengths that a typical ‘evolving’ perfume generally does not have. The experience of FdB is that it all comes at you at once. It’s not an onslaught. It’s just that all the elements seem to have a similar intensity so that you can smell the fruit, the wood, the violet-floral in equal measure. All the set pieces are in place and the development is that of a fugue, where you notice different elements at different times. It’s a great fragrance for contemplation in this sense. The ongoing juxtaposition of the pieces makes you reconsider the perfume again and again as you wear it. And like a fugue, the composition, the geometry of the component parts, remains the same, but the whole piece gets shifted up or down over time so that perspective becomes the variable, not time.

To me, the fear of this approach is that you could wind up with a rather cold, impassive perfume. You might contemplate perspective, but it’s not exactly a thrill-ride. But FdB avoids these problems by having a beautiful harmonic intensity. It just keeps coming around the corner at you. I appreciate why people use the term radiant to describe FdB.

FdB is purportedly one of the perfumes made with a very high percentage of iso-E Super. It is neither the perfume with the highest amount, nor the first to use it in such high percentage. But it was an early adopter of the molecules use in fine fragrance and created a new style if not genre. FdB and other ‘new linears’ of its era seem not so much a change in style as a categorical shift in approach. The notion of how a perfume works is fundamentally different here than in, say, the category-defining Mitsouko with its archetypal top, middle and base.

There certainly are bad linear fragrances. But then again there are equally bad perfumes that demonstrate an ugly evolution over time. FdB reminds me that ‘linear’ alone doesn’t connote ‘bad’, it’s just a more recent form in the tradition of classical perfumery.
9.0/10

Autumn leaves
There is something decadent in this perfume. And when i say decadent i dont refer to a roman-like orgy, or a triple chocolate cake... i dont mean self-indulgent, i am not doing any moral judgement. I refer to the decadence in a more biological sense. The decay of nature, the fallen leaves, the over-ripe frit, and autumn, the season of decay by excelence.

Now, my nose is not trained enough so i can notice every note listed, roughly we have a woody violet fragance, that is also fruity; but please, dont think in this inoffensive fruity florals so popular today. It is fruity a la Lutens. You know what i mean.

The first 20 minutes the clove is more noticeable, balmy and cool, and it transforms into a fragant cedar and stays more woody. Also there is a metamorphosis in the sweeter notes... the waxy overripe peach and plum mingles with the violet... and in the drydown is mostly violet. But not a candied, prim violet. There is nothing playful or , dont get me wrong, young, in Feminite de Bois, is a grown up, mysterious, gentle fragance. Seductive and day-dreamy, a bit melancholic. It makes me think in the Enya of Watermark.

Sillage is very good for not being a loud fragance at all, longevity is excelent. It is a violet fragance a man could wear, if he wouldnt mind having a perfume called "Feminité"... i am certainly wearing it, but, i am way too confident for not being scared of even openly florals... and FdB is not one.

At the Serge Lutens shop in Paris i was told "Bois et Fruits" and "Bois de Violette" are flankers of "Feminité du Bois", and are worthy a smell.

Hermesh 3 years ago
Femininity applies here perhaps not primarily to the wood (as the title suggests), but rather to the (initially very noticeable) spices.
6.0

by Hermessenz
by InkiBlinki
by InkiBlinki

Popular Serge Lutens

Chergui by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan by Serge Lutens Fourreau noir by Serge Lutens Vétiver oriental by Serge Lutens Fumerie turque by Serge Lutens De profundis by Serge Lutens Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Iris silver mist by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Douce amère by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens L'orpheline by Serge Lutens Bornéo 1834 by Serge Lutens Arabie by Serge Lutens Cuir mauresque by Serge Lutens