Fille en aiguilles (2009)

Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens

Fille en aiguilles is a popular perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Fruits, Spices, Laurel, Stone pine needle, Vetiver, Frankincense

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 19.08.2019

8.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Serenissima
healing needles in balsamic ambience
The separation from her supposedly great love was inevitable, but still very painful.
She suffered a lot from it.
But she also suffered from the people who called themselves her "friends": not knowing the background for this final step, they judged - even worse: they condemned her!
Sentences like "You can't leave such a charming man" or "You can't find something better" suddenly stood in the room.
No one bothered to question what led to their decision.
They made it very easy for themselves! And you so terribly hard!

So it was time for a change of scenery; time to heal wounds and make new decisions.
She still had a lot of vacation, so nothing stood in the way of a short-term departure; meanwhile he was able to vacate the common apartment.
But where?
She longed for the balsamic scent of softwoods; needles for her shaken self: a kind of "acupuncture" for the soul.
At first she thought of the Schlosshotel Bühlerhöhe. How much she had enjoyed the stays there, even though they had lasted only hours so far. Her trips from Baden-Baden over the few kilometres of the Schwarzwald Hochstraße to this wonderful house were a good memory!
Yes, she thought: a little thalassotherapy, nice food, relaxation - all this in this great ambience, in the middle of the dark coniferous forest.
Just the view from the large terrace and the almost all-round glazed wellness area over the meadow to the dark, fragrant conifers lent new serenity. Should she call there?
But in time she remembered the constant headaches that this coniferous forest gave her: its intensity of smell in the midsummer sun was probably too much for her
She was always happy to be down in the valley - not exactly climatically ideal, either.

So she decided to go to this little place on the Mediterranean coast: a little Italy, a little France - a little out of time and space!
Here she found what she had been looking for: a wide strip inhabited by pine trees - called "Pinata".
Pines, which in contrast to firs and spruces, were light and bright; under their shade a walk in the light was possible. Without direct sun, but not dark and too cool - how nice!
Dried, still fragrant pine needles and cones crackled quietly under their footsteps; the warmth lured the resinous aroma from the needle carpet and the "roof of needles" protecting them!
How well did each breath - how cleansing was each vigorous-pure breath that surrounded and filled them!
Towards the sea stretched a broad strip of the typical macchia: aromatic herbs, shrubs and bushes and certainly many things that would be called "weeds".
She recognized the spicy laurel - yes, there she saw some shrubs lolling in the sun and completely devoted to the warmth, which perfumed light summer breeze spicy.
She also thought she could perceive a touch of the cistus; wasn't that the sun-warm, crumpled-looking foliage and small, equally crumpled pink flowers?
This fragrance was known to her; why shouldn't these bushes also be at home here?
Ripe summery fruit scent, bergamot in any case and also something peach/apricot-like, suddenly floated past her: ah, that was beautiful!
The light, the resinous-spicy needles, herbs and ripe fruits: that was their hoped-for summer dream!
The earthy green heaviness of vetiver and not too dark, but wonderfully sensory opening incense, perfect this fragrance painting.
The skin is lightly caressed by a fine and yet strong spicy breeze; the soul is caressed and the head clarified thanks to the pine needles: fine wrinkles on body and soul are smoothed.
What do we want more?

I owe this piece "Kopfkino" to "Fille en Aiguilles": it sends me many beautiful invigorating and also almost aroma-therapeutically relaxing pictures.
A charming flatterer with corners and edges: perhaps with a slightly calloused hand?
"Fille en Aiguilles is beautiful, a little mysterious, earthy and resinous. The scent itself is dark, like the liquid released by the bottle - an earthy vibration vibrates in it.
(Yes, "Filles en Aiguilles" is, in my opinion, damn close to esotericism; it could even be related to it.)

The long time on my skin makes a great fragrance development possible, in which even I can fully recognize and enjoy all nuances. It is worthwhile to trace every single facet!
You should take your time and be rewarded: a feeling of well-being spreads and simply nests!
This "girl of needles" appears like a fragrant amulet that can be worn for many hours.

This is the first fragrance from Serge Lutens that I encounter more than just passing by.
It makes you want to get to know other compositions of this brand.
My curiosity is aroused - I am ready to dedicate myself to this adventure: with time and all my senses!
8.0 7.0 9.0 9.0/10

Christmas
I kindly got a sample of this perfume (thanks to Hannah!). A recent filling of Wazamba.
serves as a countercheck When spraying on the lute, incense begins, rather dark, slightly ecclesiastical. In addition, a fine pine forest note, must probably be the pine, but probably rather slightly coked pine needles. In addition a sweetish dry fruit undertone, which gives the whole a rather tasty, but not gourmand note. For me a rather calm, slightly meditative winter scent. The shelf life is good, after eight hours you can still smell it.

The Wazamba, sprayed at the same time for comparison, starts similarly with incense, but with more emphasis on smoke than on consecration. In addition a touch of apple, almost cider-like, then also a touch of dried fruit. Wazamba remains much drier, less sweet, a little more appley and slightly smokier over the course But if you can't find the Lutens anymore, you should try Wazamba against them. Durability here similarly good.
9.0 8.0 8.0 9.5/10

Masterpiece!
Masterpiece, perfect in every way. The right amount of woods, incense and dried fruits for my taste, I find it a very sexy unisex fragrance, dark red and mysterious. Not for the daily use, just for those especial occasions, too much of a special fragrance.

expressionist enchantment
A richly atmospheric juice of burnt embers and incense; where woodbark, brown humus and evergreen leaves lie strewn with red sweets.

No picnic in the woods this but Hansel and Gretel abandoned in the Dunkelwald (Dark Forest).

A beguiling tour de force that resonates with something deep in the unconscious.

(Fairytale inspiration courtesy of graindemusc)

memory
I’m from a small town in Connecticut. Not, Suburban-New-York-Connecticut. New-England-Connecticut. In my 1960s-1970s, the New England countryside was a place of wonder and democracy. The woods were a frame of mind as much as they were a location.

Though I never thought of anything local as particularly exotic, pine was the scent of local magic. Pine was the scent of outdoors and the change of seasons. It was omnipresent and always welcome.

Fille en Aiguille’s pine is bittersweet for me. It is 30% sense memory and 70% longing.

I now live in Southern California in a climate that I struggle with every day for nine months out of the year. Its climate is almost universally loved, but is unbearable to me and anathema to my pale Celtic body and spirit, a reality that is inexplicable to those around me. Fille doesn't offer me a solution to my dilemma. It doesn't give me relief from the heat or an alternative to the deathly brightness. It triggers memory, remembrance, beauty from an an arcadian past. It reminds me of the magic. And if there's magic, there's hope.

But mostly there's just longing.
5.0 2.5 2.5 4.0/10

Disappoints me
I did expect more from Serge Lutens.

This is not as complex as Arabie, neither as innovative as Ambre Sultan.

For me it's just a spicied and incensed pine smell with low projection and weak lasting power.

Updated January 2014
10.0 10.0 7.0/10

Another Dense and Intense Event Scent from le Grand Serge
After taking a few months off from my journey through the land of Serge, I decided to continue my search for the perfumes of this house which might work for me. So far I have not had all that much success, although I probably will be acquiring one of the triad FEMINITE DU BOIS, BOIS ET FRUITS and BOIS DE VIOLETTE at some point in 2014 (once my self-induced austerity campaign has come to an end).

FILLE EN AIGUILLES was recommended to me as a "must sniff" and probable "must have". I'll accept the former of those two claims without argument. The composition is seriously dense and rich in much of what I find to be unwearable about ARABIE--the dried fruits and heavy souk spices--but it is tempered by a fairly hefty pine note. By the drydown, the blend smells pretty nice and reminds me a bit of L'Artisan Parfumeur FOU D'ABSINTHE in its somewhat Christmasy demeanor.

While wearing this perfume, my mind conjured up a variety of previously disconnected memories. I recalled camping in the Rocky mountains as a girl with my sisters and dad (my mom never went because she hates that kind of thing). I also recalled eating Moroccan food on the Left Bank. What do these images have to do with one another? Until now, not a single thing. Now, they have been linked by Serge Lutens FILLE EN AIGUILLES.

Once again, I find that a creation by le Grand Serge serves more as a psychedelic drug surrogate than a perfume which I would choose to don in just about any public venue. What I like above all about these oddball creations is that they force me to address over and over again this question: What is perfume?
5.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Dark Spice...
While there are better scents from the house, I did indeed enjoy sampling Fille en Aiguilles from Serge Lutens. It starts off with a nice coniferous pine note mixed with semi-sweet candied fruit. The pine quickly recedes and the fruit remains, mixing with bay leaf and other spices along with incense. The candied fruit starts to turn almost caramelized, resembling wet tobacco leaf. That is how the scent remains for the duration to my nose... Dark, semi-sweet and incense. It is a nice accord when you combine the notes but nothing I would go out of my way to seek out. Longevity and sillage are both average. I'll give it a recommended 3.5/5 stars.

BobJ
The Evocation of a warm Summer for Winter and Fall.
The term "unisex" can often project a sense of ambiguity or hesitancy, but this Lutens has something markedly distinctive for men and women both. For men, it's the scent of the woods and fresh-split pine firewood, where a man can be proud and satisfied with his work. For women it's a celebration of a warm woodland's promising bounty and comforting acceptance.

Lutens' fragrances can be wonderful and unique but difficult to wear at times. While admittedly distinctive, this is not at all the case with Fille en Aiguilles.

If you are looking for a Lutens to suit your man, yet are reluctant to go with the safe-yet-less-distinctive Chergui, this is the one to choose. If you are looking for a warm memory of the forest in summer in a fragrance that's most suitable for Fall and Winter, this is the perfect one as well.

Not quite as well-known as some in this line, but distinctive and comforting in a way that those who hope to claim familiarity with the Lutens line, yet have not sampled this, are missing out.

Does it sound like, as a man, I have some myself, and find joy in wearing it? You bet.

But not before my sister bought a bottle for herself.
9.0/10

Back home in Minnesota
The sappy, resinous pine notes of Fille en Aiguilles take me back to my childhood in northern Minnesota. My friends and I would spend hours climbing pine trees which resulted in having the smell of pine tar and sap all over our hands. As Fille en Aiguilles develops it also takes on a wonderful, campfire smokiness which is reminiscent of canoe trips along the Canadian border.

Actually, the smoky aspect of the fragrance maybe challenging for some. I've heard its onset described as the 'burnt sugar' accord. It shows up not long after application and is a sort of a resinous, burned sugar aroma. However, any perceived unpleasantness in this accord appears early on and ends up sublimated into the rest of the fragrance as a pleasant smokiness.

One other note about Fille en Aiguilles. It is a fragrance with a strong personality. I don't wear it often but when I do, I find my mood needs to be in synch with the natural environment. Whether it's the time of year, the quality of sunlight, or a cold, overcast snowy day I need to feel as though Fille en Aiguilles is helping me blend into the natural temperament of the day.
9.0/10

Christmas in bottle
Another completely evocative scent from Lutens. This is the smell of the Christmases of my childhood.

This is picking out a Christmas tree with my dad at a roadside stand, with the scent of pine, fir and spruce in the air. This is also the smell of the air itself –fresh, crisp winter air. (Even though this is definitely a warm scent, there is an edge of freshness to it as well).

This is coming home to a warm house with an aromatic fire burning in the fireplace, and the needles from the newly arrived Christmas tree scattered across the floor. This is the smell of spicy cakes, baked fruits and clove-studded oranges wafting in the background.

This is a fragrance both warm and fresh, cozy and uplifting. A wonderful scent memory and a lovely perfume.

Carlitos01 11 days ago
Pine needles, wraped in incense and spices. The dried fruits add a n arabic facet to the balsamic and smoky woods. A gorgeous gloomy forest.+2
9.0
Hermesh 3 years ago
Balsamic soft dark green well combined with slightly sweet fruitiness. Only the occasional liquorice note is (unfortunately) disturbing.+5

by Strehliwood
by Annie
by Peet
by Peet
by Carlossp
Some speak wonders, I do not use it although I have it
by Toreter
by Toreter
by JJ84
by JJ84

Popular Serge Lutens

Chergui by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Arabie by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens La fille de Berlin by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Daim blond by Serge Lutens Fleurs d'oranger by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Clair de musc by Serge Lutens Nuit de cellophane by Serge Lutens Jeux de peau by Serge Lutens À la nuit by Serge Lutens