Five o'clock au gingembre 2008

Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens
Five o'clock au gingembre is a popular perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 2008. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Bergamot, Honey, Cocoa, Candied ginger, Patchouli, Pepper

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.10.2020.

"Five o'clock (tea)" refers to the traditional British tea-time at 5 o'clock in the afternoon.

Maryam1410
Delicious, homey, familiar, soothing, cuddly...... love it !
I'm a big fan of the wonderful Downton Abbey series. And that was my association when I first smelled this fragrance.
When the master of the house returns after a long walk and sits down in his wing chair, sipping tea while reading his newspaper, his faithful dog at his feet, the wife looks in and sits down with him, outside it is slowly getting dusky........ then the gentleman should wear this scent.
At least I think it's very appropriate Since my Riechzinken is still not ready to recognize scents, I can only leave a very amateurish comment.
The moisture from the walk is drawn into the tweed jacket and now dries in the warmth. The ancient wooden shelves, the heavy curtains and the thick carpets radiate a coziness, the fireplace is at the other end of the room and has been extinguished for hours. Tea is steaming out of the cups, ginger biscuits are lying beside it.
Even if the scents don't give you wood, but for me all this is there.
And verments to a feeling of comfort, I wish I was sitting there in the wing chair and would not have to get up so quickly.
The fragrance lasts 6 hours on my skin, certainly longer - but I remember: my olfactory bulb is not very sensitive. Sillage is with me rather close to the body.

Carboytony
Ginger and spice and everything nice
Such a beautiful ginger fragrance! I get more of what I'd call an amber note shining through, heavily accented with brisk, zesty ginger; spicy, zesty black pepper; soft, warming tea; exotic and slightly piquant cinnamon and dry woody notes. I also detect bits of sweet honey, the tartness of Bergamot, and intoxicating cacao. Further into the drydown, dirty and beautiful Patchouli comes into focus.

Comforting tea scent
Five O'Clock Au Gingembre isn't a stunner like many other legendary Lutens releases (Fumerie Turque, Sarrasins, Muscs Koublai Khan,...). However, it's very good at being a tea fragrance. Ginger here isn't too sharp, cinnamon isn't too spicy and honey isn't too sweet. They are all just right.

5 O'Clock review
Here is my quick review of Serge Lutens Five O'clock Au Gingembre. This scent has surprised me by how much it develops. Please enjoy....................................................................................

Stanze
Peace to the huts! War on the palaces!
I have once again read the description of the perfume on the official website. Serge Lutens is gourmand for Five o'Clock au Gingembre. And frankly, I can't smell wood either, so I don't understand the perfume classification. Five o'clock au gingembre represents 5 o'clock tea in Buckingham Palace, I read on the website. I can understand that. Earl Grey tea and ginger cookies. But why the palace? I don't even want to be in the palace, I prefer to be at home and so I explain that you can eat Five o'clock au gingembre at any time of day and even in the smallest hut. Revolution! Democracy! Tea in the cabins!

At first, Five o'clock au gingembre reminded me of 32 Venenum. But Five o'clock au gingembre is fruity, slightly darker, more sweet and not at all woody. In two words: even better!

I spent some time looking out for English friends at their house in Normandy. Every time they'd come from England, we'd meet and drink five o'clock tea. I mostly drank Earl Grey and there were always biscuits, though no ginger biscuits. It was always very nice with them and I miss them. We will never see each other again, but with Five o'clock au gingembre I can be olfactory in your Chaumière (Cottage).

You can always wear the perfume, except for sports, at most when watching others do sports. It is suitable for men and women, but I suppose it is better suited for older people. At this point I wonder anyway whether memories and experiences enable us to extract more from some scents.

I can't say anything about the bottle, one filling is enough for me first, I can't water myself around the clock with so much stuff at the same time. The projection is okay, a small cloud, which gets closer to the body after a while. The shelf life's okay, too.
17 o'clock kick-off
I did not reach for the teacup at 5 p.m. sharp, but for the remote control to watch the "world champion" play.

Teatime is football time right now, which pleases me very much.

As lively as the scent, the Mexicans also played - fresh like bergamot and spirited like pepper.

I can save myself honey biscuits and ginger bread, because the scent is already there.
So no extra snuffles, because the tasty Lutens covers everything.
The waistband thanks you.

But honey also seemed to stick to the tunnels of the laurels of the world champions, for it was difficult for them to detach themselves from the lawn.
Their boring tactics became a tick-tock - a grandfather clock on the grass.

That didn't challenge me, because I was enjoying the appetizing scent - and the lively Mexicans.

That's five o clock au gingembre fun.

Not a replacement for Youth Dew
Five O'clock au Gingembre

Lovely fragrance; smooth slightly sweet ginger and vanilla, with some soft spice, that would make a very good aftershave for a chap that didn't want too much density and sillage. I don't get honey on my skin nor cinnamon as a definite note nor tea but I do smell ginger, lots of lovely zingy dry ginger.

On the downside I did need to slop quite a bit on from my sample to get some depth and it faded quickly. It is an Eau de Parfum but in this case that doesn't give an accurate impression as to the strength of the perfume's smell for me.

This was recommended to me by my perfume shop as a possible replacement for Youth Dew. I put some Youth Dew on a cotton ball (to scent the porch) about six weeks ago and that still has a stronger smell than this one freshly applied. So for me, not at all the same type of perfume as Youth Dew.

It is not something I would buy for myself as I find it a little thin but it would suit my dad (if I could prise the Old Spice out of his hands).

Gingembre brings to mind the rheumatic oil mix I make with ginger, frankincense, lavender, and rosemary rather than afternoon tea which in our household consisted of huge salads followed by pineapple and buttercream sponge, coffee and walnut coffeecream sponge, tea with sterilised milk, parkin and gingerbread. I don't get the reference to gingerbread with au Gingembre.

Eau de parfum decant from 2013

MasterLi
Tea and Ginger Biscuits...
This is a very refreshing tea & ginger fragrance. It's really well made. It opens up with very fresh bergamot and then the ginger and cinnamon tea vibe starts to creep up and it takes on a sweet, very smooth and sheer effect. It's a really nice experience.

Five O'Clock au Gingembre is meant to evoke the ritual of having tea in an English country house at (exactly) 5 O'Clock in the afternoon, served with ginger biscuits. The ginger here especially reminds me of stem candied ginger used in cooking, almost like a crystallised sugar coated ginger. Although the fragrance is not too sweet either, it stays fresh and juicy. I also love the use of honey here, almost like ginger tea being sweetened with honey. There is no smoke or heavy notes, everything is kept sheer and light and playful (which is very different for a typical Serge Lutens fragrance). I like this one a lot. It's not ground breaking, but I guarantee you'll like it. A very warm and cosy scent which I suspect would do just as well in summer as in the cooler months. Tea has a relaxing effect for me, and this is one which makes me feel happy. I get a good feeling from this... if you like tea, honey or ginger, then try it!

Five O'Clock Au Gignembre by Serge Lutens
This one was an instant like for me. You get a very fresh blast of lemon, tea and peppery ginger that's made sweet with a clean and hefty dose of honey. As it dries down it warms up a bit through the amber, cinnamon, and patchouli. The patchouli's restrained here in the sense that it never hits that stereotypically, heavy hippie level that can get annoying and detract from an otherwise good fragrance. The cinnamon plays the background as well, and I like that, because this one's all about the tea, ginger, and honey. I think Five O'Clock is a pretty safe bet, and you're unlikely to receive many negative reactions from it. It's kind of along the lines of Burberry London and Eau des Baux as far as its impression and context, something to be worn during the cooler months, especially around the holidays. As far as Lutens fragrances go, I feel like this one has a little more mainstream appeal than most. There's something about the sweet woody amber aspect of it that feels familiar, however this by no means common in quality or overall smell, it's just not weird and unusual. Projection is good, a little on the close side, and longevity is about 5 to 6 hours. While it may lack a "WOW" factor, that's not always necessary as far as I'm concerned, and I'm completely happy to own this very pleasant, ginger-tea concoction that's easy to reach for and throw on whenever the mood hits. Thumbs up and a safe blind buy if you like the sound of the notes.

Five O'Clock au Gingembre
This fragrance opens with an accord comprised of tea, bergamot and ginger notes. The accord is sweet, golden warm and fruity with a touch of spices. Despite this string of adjectives, this fragrance is not heavy at all. As it dries down, a woody vanilla note emerges and the fragrance veers toward a fruity composition with floral touches on a base that is now drier than at the beginning. This is a perfect comfort scent that is definitely more of a crowd pleaser than Tea for Two.

DsktpDsktp 126 days ago
At first, this was nice but didn't wow me. But I regularly keep wanting to smell it again. The sweet ginger is just so comfy. A treat.
LillibetLillibet 3 years ago
Hands down my favourite and most worn Lutens' fragance. Gorgeous gingerbready spices over a satisfyingly chewy yet easy to wear base.

by ErhanSaceros
by InkiBlinki
by OvidiuH
by OvidiuH

Popular Serge Lutens

Chergui by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan by Serge Lutens Vétiver oriental by Serge Lutens Fourreau noir by Serge Lutens Fumerie turque by Serge Lutens De profundis by Serge Lutens Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Iris silver mist by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Douce amère by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens L'orpheline by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens Rahät loukoum by Serge Lutens Bornéo 1834 by Serge Lutens Arabie by Serge Lutens