Five o'clock au gingembre (2008)

Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens

Five o'clock au gingembre is a popular perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 2008. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production.

Bergamot, Honey, Cocoa, Candied ginger, Patchouli, Pepper

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 20.06.2019

"Five o'clock (tea)" refers to the traditional British tea-time at 5 o'clock in the afternoon.

7.0 10.0 9.5/10

Stanze
Peace to the huts! War on the palaces!
I have once again read the description of the perfume on the official website. Serge Lutens is gourmand for Five o'Clock au Gingembre. And frankly, I can't smell wood either, so I don't understand the perfume classification. Five o'clock au gingembre represents 5 o'clock tea in Buckingham Palace, I read on the website. I can understand that. Earl Grey tea and ginger cookies. But why the palace? I don't even want to be in the palace, I prefer to be at home and so I explain that you can eat Five o'clock au gingembre at any time of day and even in the smallest hut. Revolution! Democracy! Tea in the cabins!

At first, Five o'clock au gingembre reminded me of 32 Venenum. But Five o'clock au gingembre is fruity, slightly darker, more sweet and not at all woody. In two words: even better!

I spent some time looking out for English friends at their house in Normandy. Every time they'd come from England, we'd meet and drink five o'clock tea. I mostly drank Earl Grey and there were always biscuits, though no ginger biscuits. It was always very nice with them and I miss them. We will never see each other again, but with Five o'clock au gingembre I can be olfactory in your Chaumière (Cottage).

You can always wear the perfume, except for sports, at most when watching others do sports. It is suitable for men and women, but I suppose it is better suited for older people. At this point I wonder anyway whether memories and experiences enable us to extract more from some scents.

I can't say anything about the bottle, one filling is enough for me first, I can't water myself around the clock with so much stuff at the same time. The projection is okay, a small cloud, which gets closer to the body after a while. The shelf life's okay, too.
7.0 8.0 8.0 7.5/10

17 o'clock kick-off
I did not reach for the teacup at 5 p.m. sharp, but for the remote control to watch the "world champion" play.

Teatime is football time right now, which pleases me very much.

As lively as the scent, the Mexicans also played - fresh like bergamot and spirited like pepper.

I can save myself honey biscuits and ginger bread, because the scent is already there.
So no extra snuffles, because the tasty Lutens covers everything.
The waistband thanks you.

But honey also seemed to stick to the tunnels of the laurels of the world champions, for it was difficult for them to detach themselves from the lawn.
Their boring tactics became a tick-tock - a grandfather clock on the grass.

That didn't challenge me, because I was enjoying the appetizing scent - and the lively Mexicans.

That's five o clock au gingembre fun.
7.0 5.0 5.0 6.0/10

Not a replacement for Youth Dew
Five O'clock au Gingembre

Lovely fragrance; smooth slightly sweet ginger and vanilla, with some soft spice, that would make a very good aftershave for a chap that didn't want too much density and sillage. I don't get honey on my skin nor cinnamon as a definite note nor tea but I do smell ginger, lots of lovely zingy dry ginger.

On the downside I did need to slop quite a bit on from my sample to get some depth and it faded quickly. It is an Eau de Parfum but in this case that doesn't give an accurate impression as to the strength of the perfume's smell for me.

This was recommended to me by my perfume shop as a possible replacement for Youth Dew. I put some Youth Dew on a cotton ball (to scent the porch) about six weeks ago and that still has a stronger smell than this one freshly applied. So for me, not at all the same type of perfume as Youth Dew.

It is not something I would buy for myself as I find it a little thin but it would suit my dad (if I could prise the Old Spice out of his hands).

Gingembre brings to mind the rheumatic oil mix I make with ginger, frankincense, lavender, and rosemary rather than afternoon tea which in our household consisted of huge salads followed by pineapple and buttercream sponge, coffee and walnut coffeecream sponge, tea with sterilised milk, parkin and gingerbread. I don't get the reference to gingerbread with au Gingembre.

Eau de parfum decant from 2013
5.0 5.0 5.0 10.0/10

MasterLi
Tea and Ginger Biscuits...
This is a very refreshing tea & ginger fragrance. It's really well made. It opens up with very fresh bergamot and then the ginger and cinnamon tea vibe starts to creep up and it takes on a sweet, very smooth and sheer effect. It's a really nice experience.

Five O'Clock au Gingembre is meant to evoke the ritual of having tea in an English country house at (exactly) 5 O'Clock in the afternoon, served with ginger biscuits. The ginger here especially reminds me of stem candied ginger used in cooking, almost like a crystallised sugar coated ginger. Although the fragrance is not too sweet either, it stays fresh and juicy. I also love the use of honey here, almost like ginger tea being sweetened with honey. There is no smoke or heavy notes, everything is kept sheer and light and playful (which is very different for a typical Serge Lutens fragrance). I like this one a lot. It's not ground breaking, but I guarantee you'll like it. A very warm and cosy scent which I suspect would do just as well in summer as in the cooler months. Tea has a relaxing effect for me, and this is one which makes me feel happy. I get a good feeling from this... if you like tea, honey or ginger, then try it!

Five O'Clock Au Gignembre by Serge Lutens
This one was an instant like for me. You get a very fresh blast of lemon, tea and peppery ginger that's made sweet with a clean and hefty dose of honey. As it dries down it warms up a bit through the amber, cinnamon, and patchouli. The patchouli's restrained here in the sense that it never hits that stereotypically, heavy hippie level that can get annoying and detract from an otherwise good fragrance. The cinnamon plays the background as well, and I like that, because this one's all about the tea, ginger, and honey. I think Five O'Clock is a pretty safe bet, and you're unlikely to receive many negative reactions from it. It's kind of along the lines of Burberry London and Eau des Baux as far as its impression and context, something to be worn during the cooler months, especially around the holidays. As far as Lutens fragrances go, I feel like this one has a little more mainstream appeal than most. There's something about the sweet woody amber aspect of it that feels familiar, however this by no means common in quality or overall smell, it's just not weird and unusual. Projection is good, a little on the close side, and longevity is about 5 to 6 hours. While it may lack a "WOW" factor, that's not always necessary as far as I'm concerned, and I'm completely happy to own this very pleasant, ginger-tea concoction that's easy to reach for and throw on whenever the mood hits. Thumbs up and a safe blind buy if you like the sound of the notes.
7.5 5.0 5.0 3.0/10

Five O'Clock au Gingembre
This fragrance opens with an accord comprised of tea, bergamot and ginger notes. The accord is sweet, golden warm and fruity with a touch of spices. Despite this string of adjectives, this fragrance is not heavy at all. As it dries down, a woody vanilla note emerges and the fragrance veers toward a fruity composition with floral touches on a base that is now drier than at the beginning. This is a perfect comfort scent that is definitely more of a crowd pleaser than Tea for Two.
8.0 7.5 6.0 8.0/10

Five o'clock au gingembre
What makes me so happy when testing the Lutens Collection, is that many, many of them have a woody / spicy / oriental character, which is what I long for most in a perfume.
Five O'Clock Au Gingembre is no exception.
It is a very lovely, ultra fresh, woody spicy scent, reminding me instantly of Feminite du Bois (woody flowery spicy) and Fille en Aiguilles (woody spicy oriental). How lovely to be able to change your perfume every day and still have an overall signature:
What am I wearing? It's a LUTENS !!!!

Fille en Aguilles is the strongest of these 3, with excellent sillage and longevity..
The longevity of Five O'Clock and Feminite du Bois is rather medium, 3-4 hours.
7.5 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

A gentleman´s studio
When I think in a fragance as "English" I tend to think in this old fashioned, respectable, conventional perfumes that smell well and smell classic and smell correct and i never wear. In my imagination that word could also conjure up a cottage garden perfume, pretty and romantic, loaded with lilac and rose. But if Mr Lutens says english, you know there is going to be surprises.

The truth, Five O´Clock is very english, in a way that has nothing to do with english perfumery, and the fragance could recreate a tea party, but not in a prim garden a summer afternoon, but in a colder time, in the inside of a luxuriously furnished home, with a cosy fireplace, and there, you have the tea, and the ginger jam, and also a slice of pain d´epices.

It starts wonderfully. I would say, it is darker and more classic in the opening. And more masculine, or lets say, more gentlemanly. You are politely welcomed by a perfectly dressed butler, and all the notes of the fragance introduce themselves elegantly. The polished citrus, an introspective ginger, dark woods and the spices, create a shadowy, earthy opening that doesnt lack of vigor.

I notice now and then something that reminds me to Feminite de Bois and Daim Blond, being those completely different fragances. I guess maybe there is some type of signature in the Serge Lutens compositions. I mean, you would guess it is Lutens.

As for the ginger in Five O´Clock au Gingembre, it is not a freshly squeezed ginger fragance. Is a candied ginger, softer, smoother, rounder. And is after a while when the jar of ginger jam opens. Moist, deep, sweet ginger jam, with chunks of candied ginger.

Then, the fragance gets warmer, and noticeable smoky, like smoked black tea. The patchouly and the cocoa comfortably wrap the sweetness and keeps it from being too edible. This is not a mouthwatering type of perfume. Is a luxurious shelter. Smells wonderful and different, but not too different, so , for a Lutens/ Sheldrake creation, is easy to wear.
7.5 7.0/10

Never A Boring Moment Chez Serge!
Le Grand Serge strikes again with FIVE O'CLOCK AU GINGEMBRE, more of an event than a perfume! This creation opens really beautifully with a wrist-sniffingly wonderful combination of woods and spices. I find the ginger rather low-key, relative to the prominence I was expecting, given the name. I definitely do not see any similarity whatsoever to the BBW Orange Ginger aromatherapy line (as some reviewers have alleged), with which, I should add, I am very, very familiar.

I actually do not like ginger all that much as a perfume note, but in this composition it works very well with the woods, which are heavy enough to smooth the ginger out somewhat. My only regret about this wild Serge ride is that the drydown becomes somewhat gunky on my skin after a few hours. But the opening and the middle stages are really gorgeous, and I like the fact that this perfumes evolves quite a lot over its development trajectory. Never a boring moment chez Serge!

Lillibet 17 months ago
Hands down my favourite and most worn Lutens' fragance. Gorgeous gingerbready spices over a satisfyingly chewy yet easy to wear base.+2
6.0

by medicine
by InkiBlinki
by InkiBlinki

Popular Serge Lutens

Chergui by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Arabie by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens La fille de Berlin by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Daim blond by Serge Lutens Fleurs d'oranger by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Clair de musc by Serge Lutens Nuit de cellophane by Serge Lutens Jeux de peau by Serge Lutens À la nuit by Serge Lutens