Fleurs d'oranger (1995)

Fleurs d'oranger by Serge Lutens

Fleurs d'oranger is a perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 1995. The scent is floral-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Hibiscus seed, Indian tuberose, Cumin, Nutmeg, Orange blossom, White jasmine, White rose, Lemon zest

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 24.04.2019

In 2005 a limited bottle collection of this scent was released with domino motifs.

7.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

Morning Halali
Right now I've taken Lutens scents to my heart.

Yesterday the cozy Jeux de Peau helped me through the noisy garden party of the neighbours, which I had to attend as an involuntary onlooker.

The gentle " skin games " let me generously turn a blind eye - unfortunately it was not enough for two eyes.

Now I have the waking night in my bones, and urgently need a pick-me-up.
Maybe Lutens also has a remedy for such conditions available ?

Fleurs d oranger sounds like a confidence booster.

And indeed, this bright, soapy orange blossom has the effect of a cleansing, invigorating shower.
The tuberose is still clearly there, but not beguilingly lulling, but enlighteningly awakening.
Jasmine shines bright again - and blows the nose and head free.

In general, the scent is like a trumpet blast:
On, on brothers to freedom - to the sun !

For me an ultimate day fragrance that makes legs and awakens the spirits of life.

I will try to elicit a Halali from the husband's hunting horn, because I think the neighbours have slept enough now
10.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Drop dead gorgeous!
Without a doubt one of the most beautiful smells I've come across! It's clean and dirty and lush and pretty all at the same time! So aromatic and indolic and honey-sweet. I think this is a perfume which needs to be experienced. Words alone cannot do it justice.

First of all, it's strong, but not strong in a synthetic way. It's more like the strongest smelling natural flowers I can think of. The name itself is somewhat misleading as Fleurs d'Oranger means "Orange Blossom" and the orange blossom itself is only half the story here. Instead we also have a highly indolic, beautiful and heady sambac jasmine note, which works with the orange blossom to give incredible floral and sensual depth to the perfume. Another huge player here is tuberose... and what a flower that is! It's a rich, creamy, slightly green & tropical flower that really brings the party to this perfume! But it's not too overdone. It's totally wearable as it's more of a sultry, soft honeyed floral (but very deep).

I think this one is similar to Serge Lutens' A la Nuit, which was a huge lush, green, honey sweet indolic jasmine. Here it is a combination between the three white flowers of jasmine, tuberose and orange blossom... with some spice (mainly cumin) to make it a little more sultry/sexy. To me the cumin doesn't come across as sweaty or anything like that, on my skin it's still a very clean floral. I think orange blossom (especially neroli) has a tendency to be soapy clean, as it is a common ingredient in most soaps. But here the other lush & heady white florals, as well as the spices and rose, really serve to make it very sensual and full of character. In a word, on me this smells absolutely divine! If you appreciate fine perfume and beautiful floral smells (especially tuberose and jasmine), then please do try this out. For me it's an absolute love. But try it on your skin first!
7.5 7.5 5.0 7.0/10

Fleurs d'Oranger
This fragrance opens with the radiant aroma of orange blossoms. Citrus peel tames the blossoms' rich sweetness and adds welcome tartness to the floral. As long as the zesty citrus note is present in the head accord it is fresh and juicy, but once it is replaced by heavy white florals the accord becomes very intense again. A spicy undertone reminiscent of popcorn further modifies the accord into something sweet and spicy, dry and sunny. Serge Lutens created a scent which is not as fresh and flowery as most orange blossom offerings and which therefore can be worn by anyone. Despite its array of heady floral notes the fragrance loses steam rather fast and after roughly four hours it vanishes.
10.0 7.5 7.5 5.0/10

A basket of... what??
This is a special treat! This is really awe-inspiring!

My skin accepted this blossom-liqueur as a huge basket of comely, clean flowers, peachy not only as fresh, but also in the color, if you can imagine a charming flower when you see the tone of the bottle, well, it is, what you get at the beginning. Evokes the spring, the first summer heat, when people are walking under the full-blown trees, and the aroma is still fresh and innocent.

Oh, if I could puzzle it out, how does it turn out into this charmless, leaden odor after a half hour! Maybe cumin and nutmeg are the hidden evils behind the curtain, but they conjure from a huge basket of blossoms a huge basket of pumpkin. Almost the same tone, still natural, but it is not my cup of tea. Fortunately my Sister likes it so much, that even our not so small sample will not be enough :-)

Fleurs de Lutens
I imagine that for simplicity's sake, Lutens put the names of three flowers, orange blossom, jasmine and tuberose on separate slips of paper and randomly pulled orange blossom out of a hat. Each heady note could be accused of upstaging a perfume, so combined, Fleurs d'Oranger should be the the maenad of the Lutens line. I won't deny that it's loud. But the floral notes here form a chorus, giving that implicit tension of cooperating yet trying to stand out.

These are the three flowers that are most commonly cited for having the white floral split personality. 'Pretty' might strike you first, but the menace isn't far behind. Orange blossom, then sweat. Jasmine, then decay. And the Janus of gender, tuberose. Gina Lollobrigida on one side, stereotypical auto-mechanic with a gasoline can on the other. The honeyed cedar provides a firm base and the dusting of cumin works hand-in-glove with orange blossom, giving it the bump it needed to win the tri-floral slugfest. As for the cedar, a note that makes me instantly cautious (Iso E Super), think more of the cedar of Cedre than Feminite du Bois. I can happily say that it's neither radiant nor transparent.

Fd'O is definitively a floral/woody perfume. It's not a floriental, and, despite the name, it's not a soliflor. It's a swaggering fragrance. Women who love big but composed perfumes, dive in. For men contemplating the plunge, think of it as a ballsy floral. For all others, try it along with whatever gender you wear and see what you find.

A good mix of extremes
When I first put it on, FdO is fresh and tangy, I can almost taste the orange. But soon enough, it's all about the flowers, it softens and mellows, deepens and becomes skin like and velvety. Further down the line, the cumin appears and gives the scent a very human (clean sweaty) feel.

The original FdO was much more risqué and naughty, and sadly, that has been lost with reformulations. I'm not sure which version I have, I know it's not the original (I wish!...) but I must say I enjoy it quite a bit.
8.0/10

Steroided orange-tree blossoms
Fleurs d´Oranger is a fragance i come back now and then. I don´t wear it very often, but i like to have it at hand, when i need to cover my need of orange-tree blossom. This flowers normally would remind me to spring, but in Fleurs d´Oranger there is a richness that make them suitable for cold dry weather too, just like today.

Fleurs d´Oranger spins around orange tree blossom, obviously, but the addition of other floral notes to exagerate the different nuances of this oily blossoms makes me get lost in them sometimes, specially jasmin and tuberose. After i always return to the main orange flower, but my point is that there is much more than it. The jasmin is indolic, and the tuberose is creamy and dusty here; there are touches of a very honeyed rose, too, and, remarkably, a generous dose of medicinal nutmeg that even intensifies the cloying, almost sickening effect of the flowers. And please, don´t read sickening as it is a bad thing.

This is a strong warm dry whirlwind of petals at full speed, with good sillage.

The drydown includes the persistent orange tree blossom and tuberose, true bases of this fragance; and the cumin is then fully noticeable with its raunchy, animal scent, that, call me a kink, i find sexy with the white flowers. Armpit is only a bad scent depending on whose armpit is.

To sum up, it is VERY floral, but not clean or delicate; spicy, excessive and a bit testosteronic as the fragance develops. Another favourite Lutens /Sheldrake to keep.
7.5 7.5 7.5 6.0/10

Syrupy tuberose and orange blossom
Orange blossom is a floral note I have recently become quite fond of, after having discovered Tom Ford's Neroli Portofino during a very hot, and summery January. I was hoping that Fleurs d'Oranger would be just as captivating and beautiful on the skin, yet I find this fragrance to be more tuberose than orange blossom. I am glad to see that Victoria from Bois de Jasmin sees this composition the same way as I do, and I recommend you read her review also.

Fleurs d'Oranger is a rather rich and creamy blend of orange blossom, tuberose, jasmine and syrupy honey. It smells a little medicinal to my nose, like a fragrance I could liken to the scent of an ointment or a medicated gel. I don't mean that in a bad way, as Fleurs d'Oranger is rather pleasant in terms of the way it smells, but for me personally it radiates a clean, antiseptic quality.

While I admit that I like this fragrance to a certain extent, I also find it a little uninspiring. I have smelt much more fascinating Serge Lutens than this one. I think Fleurs d'Oranger is a bit of a crowd pleaser, which doesn't interest me.

The composition itself is mostly heady white florals, golden in nature, with subtle spices and sweet vanilla. It's a very elegant and expensive smelling fragrance, so I would recommend Fleurs d'Oranger for formal and classic wear.

The longevity is very impressive, lasting on the skin well over eight hours. All in all, a very regal white floral.
8.0/10

White flower symphony
Ahhh, orange blossom laced with soft, creamy tuberose and jasmine. This is my kind of white flower scent – sunny and natural smelling. Lush but not cloying and not a bit of powder or sharpness. A tad soapy as it develops – the only thing that detracts slightly from my love of it.
10.0 6.0/10

Le Grand Serge Does White Flowers
While wearing FIRE ISLAND recently, I was reminded of my first Serge Lutens experience: FLEURS D'ORANGER, a couple of years ago. My sample was of unknown origin (I found it in a gwp bag, and I honestly had no idea when or from where I had acquired it), so when I sprayed it on and discovered that the perfume was essentially the scent of super-concentrated Coppertone suntan lotion, I was a bit disappointed, for all of the same reasons that some people are disappointed with FIRE ISLAND.

I decided to give FLEURS D'ORANGER another chance with the memory of FIRE ISLAND still fresh in my mind. The good news is that FLEURS D'ORANGER is not really a Coppertone clone. My earlier sample must have evaporated somewhat and changed in the process. Instead, what I have found with a fresher decant is that FLEURS D'ORANGER is not unlike the drydown of FIRE ISLAND, with its tuberose, neroli, and musk, but with much more emphasis on the white florals (including jasmine) and also a kind of golden oriental amberish (not ambery...) quality where FIRE ISLAND was more "ozonic". This is a powerful little potion, big white flowers in a long lasting base which amplifies the already heady mix.

I recommend FLEURS D'ORANGER as a much more perfumic and feminine alternative to FIRE ISLAND. But if you don't like big fat white flowers, this may be too much.

Elysium 10 months ago
I was on my way to my cubicle, a wondrous smell of citrus blossom was lingering in the air. A colleague of mine said "It's me, Serge Lutens"+2
Hermesh 3 years ago
To reach orange blossoms, one have to pass a large dense field, covered with indolic jasmine and tuberose.+1

by Shivsri13
by JJ84
by InkiBlinki
by InkiBlinki

Popular Serge Lutens

Chergui by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Gris clair... by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Arabie by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens La fille de Berlin by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Daim blond by Serge Lutens Fleurs d'oranger by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Clair de musc by Serge Lutens Nuit de cellophane by Serge Lutens Jeux de peau by Serge Lutens À la nuit by Serge Lutens