Gris clair... 2006

Version from 2006
Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens
Gris clair... (2006) is a popular perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 2006. The scent is woody-floral. The longevity is above-average. It was last marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International. Pronunciation

Dry woodsDry woods
AmberAmber
IrisIris
LavenderLavender
Tonka beanTonka bean
FrankincenseFrankincense

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 12.09.2021.

Bright melancholy..
In my (still) small and rather mainstream collection he is certainly an exotic. Like a bird of paradise that stands out among gray sparrows. Except that the fragrance is actually the grey sparrow. Or not again?...

Hard to believe, but the fragrance was among my very first perfume purchases and it wasn't a blind buy. For several days back then, I skulked around the Serge Lutens counter, testing the fragrance, spraying it on my skin over and over again. Everything about the perfume fascinated me - the minimalist elegant bottle, the mysterious green-grey essence inside, the unique name, the irresistible scent that resembled nothing I had ever known before. This spell I could not escape, paid a proud price and since then I guard the perfume like the apple of my eye.

This fragrance surrounds you like an aura - shimmering, bright, warm and is for me not separable into individual parts, ie fragrance notes. It is an impression, like a painting by Claude Monet, capturing a mood with blurred outlines, loose brushstrokes, with light and shadow.

The name of the perfume chosen by the creator - a color name - reinforces this impression, as do the dots of omission, which are meant to fire our imagination. This is about a dreamy vision - of a place, a state, a feeling. It might be a rainy November day for someone, or a summer lavender field, a misty morning in a harbor, or - as for Serge Lutens - the sun-drenched pollen of a deserted or even dead city.

What the fragrance is to me? - A bright warm feeling with a touch of melancholy mixed in. That's what "Gris Clair..." is to me - an impressionistic work of art, a fragrance primarily for the wearer, only then for the outside world.
It shall be no more
We've grown apart. What happened during that time? We loved each other, unconditionally, blinded by love.
Maybe too blind I love you, lavender, forever, you know that. But your aftershave is making me uncomfortable. Your aftershave that's still all over your clothes The candle smoke that you gently release into the air.
Your candlewarm.
Gone.
Gris Clair one November day
This somewhat cutting, but wonderfully clear coolness is what this fragrance makes me think of. The lavender is cool and clear at first, but then - though not repressed, but still a bit silenced - when a honey-ambra wood lies over the herbaceous clear lavender.

has uncanny durability, freshly applied quite dry and woody.

A beautiful, clear and head clearing scent.
Freshly ironed laundry
Got gris clair a few days ago... for testing. First I smell cool lavender, later violets and incense open... It looks kind of familiar. First I sniffed some sweaters from my husband, then I thought I'd check them out at Parfumo. On the way to the PC I see the ironing board and suddenly I realize - Gris clair... smells like freshly ironed laundry!

A few moments later iris and tonka bean become louder - the "freshly ironed laundry" now smells sweet.

However, I have come to the conclusion that Gris clair... is a pure men's scent. I will spray my husband with the sample :-D
Kenshin
His lavender level is over 9000!!!
My review of Gris Clair... by Serge Lutens as a YouTube video. Lavender is completely in the center and it smells pretty much like a lavender scented bag.

Chiba City Blues
"The sky above the port was the color of a television set on a dead channel."
William Gibson, neuromancer, 1984. Cyberpunk the first; console cowboys wander through the neon-lit street canyons of Night City, the rain falls, in Sprawl everyone is next to themselves.

Gris Clair, a fragrance from cyberspace. Grey lavender, digital austerity, a wistfully beautiful aura. The sweetness is hard on the border, painful and pleasurable.
Texture and feel are dusty and dry. Even if the sweet spiciness might suggest warmth, the surface remains hard and impenetrable. An incense veil floats through the picture, one could probably speak of a simulacrum, but these categories would be the wrong ones anyway. Lavender or the idea of lavender? All in all, everything remains intangible, the perfume is from beginning to end a homogeneous, densely woven space without the recognizably separated juxtaposition of possible notes.
Clear, calm and unapproachable, it floats around and yet its sweetness has that siren-like pulling effect that lets you plug into the consensus hallucination of the Matrix again and again. The bodiless pleasures of cyberspace. A good fragrance.

"Cold steel smell. Ice was hugging his spine. And faces peered in from a neon forest, sailors and crooks and whores under a poisonous silver sky..."
Duftsucht
Elegant lavender doesn't work? Oh, yes, you are
I love lavender: in the garden, in the flowerpot on the dining table, in bath oils and in perfumes - the only thing I shy away from is lavender in the wardrobe, because I don't want the perfumes I wear to be distorted by another fragrance. In search of the lavender scent of my heart, I have tested much: Thank you, Yatagan, for the helpful statements, comments and the incomprehensible lavender list!!! "Gris Clair" came to me as a rehearsal and at the beginning I was very sceptical, because I am simply overwhelmed with many scents of Serge Lutens. Too spicy, too room-filling, too many smells fighting for supremacy, too much of everything for me. And even "Gris Clair" wasn't love at first sight. The beginning is still quite overwhelming for me. Lavender in abundance, but at the same time also herbaceous-spicy, a trace in the direction of "Wild Lavender" from Villoresi. The association was so deterrent that the rehearsal went unnoticed for some time. But one evening, when I had trouble falling asleep, I thought again of "Gris Clair" and supplied the back of my hand with a powerful sprayer. Not parked too close to the nose, it emanated a wonderful, dark purple lavender cloud that gently enveloped me. And although I could not fall asleep for a long time, it was still pure aromatherapy. The lavender field is almost imperceptibly enriched by further components. Surprisingly, it is the incense that inspires me most and that I clearly smell, because it is actually a smell that I don't usually appreciate in perfumes. "Gris Clair" succeeds in something astonishing: it increasingly changes into a powdery direction and at the same time changes its character, as if a sudden veil of mist were to stretch over the lavender field. Also overwhelmingly beautiful, but not gloomy or even musty, but rather completely relaxed and confident. Nevertheless, it clearly remains a lavender scent, which additionally shows woody, soft or even smoky-spicy facets, but which never lead too far away from the main theme.
Normally I associate lavender with rather simple linear scents, which are sometimes not very elegant, but "Gris Clair" is for me absolutely.
Together with "Pour Un Homme de Caron L'Eau" by Caron, which I prefer to use as a summer fragrance, "Gris Clair" is currently my lavender favourite. Since the fragrance is no longer produced, you can get cheap offers online at the moment - and I took the opportunity to quickly add a bottle to my collection!

Gris Clair...
The Hilliard Ensemble is a British group of singers specializing in the interpretation vocal compositions from the Renaissance to the Baroque period. As I'm writing this review, I'm listening to their rendition of Johannes Ockeghem's “Requiem” and “Missa ´Mi-mi´”. The Ensemble's interpretation is divine: incredibly soft, pure, meditative, ideal for a quiet winter evening spent by the fireplace, preferably with a glass of mulled wine to lift one's spirits a bit higher. I started this review by mentioning the Hilliard Ensemble because lately I've been trying to match various musical compositions and styles with appropriate fragrances. I once sprayed on Serge Lutens' “Gris Clair...” while listening to the aforementioned CD, and was amazed at how effortlessly the music and the scent complemented each other.

“Gris Clair...” is a melodious interplay between two notes, namely lavender and tonka bean. Thanks to the lavender, the head of the perfume is markedly herbal and aromatic. The lavender note provides a generous amount freshness to the perfume, evoking the feeling of genuine joy. Gradually, the herbal character of “Gris Clair...” is toned down and substituted by the spicy sweetness of tonka bean. The initial feeling of joy is transformed into nostalgia, meditation, even a longing for the unattainable. Lurking somewhere in the shadows of the fragrance's two stars is iris, so delicate it's barely perceptible to my nose.

Due to its straightforward, aromatic freshness in its opening, “Gris Clair...” initially displays a different character to the other perfumes I've sampled from the Serge Lutens line thus far. Simultaneously, it is firmly embedded in Lutens' olfactory philosophy owing to its emphasis on the quality of raw materials, substance and the belief in the artistic value of perfumery. “Gris Clair...” might never become the most celebrated Lutens fragrance, but it surely is, just like medieval polyphony in music, one of his most comforting ones.

~ True Taste of Heaven ~
~ This to my nose is what the true "taste of heaven" is! It evokes in my mind riding on a comforting smokey cloud of incense and pleasant lavender. It also carries my nose away to what it would be like to inhale deeply in the middle of an actual field of lavender with the early morning chimney smoke of a nearby cozy cottage rising in the background. This Sheldrake creation is definitely an all~season pleasant scent that is very safe and not challenging at all for me. As my first S.L. full bottle Gris Clair will make another classy choice as a personal pleasant companion during my daily chores of yard work, quiet times reading or even present an air of debonair with a suit and tie at my place of worship....how fitting for a true taste of heaven ~

Kind Regards, Platinum1 ~
2.5
2.5

I was expecting more....
Great lavender opening but dries down to a sweet powder.

Actually i feel disappointed with Gris Clair... i did expect more from a Lutens.

It's more suitable for a woman in my opinion.

Sillage, lasting power and projection are weak.

Updated January 2014

LillibetLillibet 4 years ago
A cool, but not cold, herbal lavender sits on top of lightly smoky incense, toasty tonka notes and a powdery-woody base.

by Kylesa
by Kylesa
by Mustang69
by Mustang69
by Amylovesyou
by Amylovesyou
Helle Melancholie...
by Florecilla
Steiniger Nachzügler - für Fresh!
by Mimara
Stein - für Fresh
by Mimara
by BlueValkyrie
Печаль моя светла... (Mein Gram ist voller Licht... A. Puschkin, Auf Grusiens Hügeln)
by Florecilla
by Tusnelda
by Griseldis
by Griseldis

Popular Serge Lutens

Chergui by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Vétiver oriental by Serge Lutens Fourreau noir by Serge Lutens Sidi Bel-Abbès by Serge Lutens Fumerie turque by Serge Lutens De profundis by Serge Lutens Iris silver mist by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Douce amère by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Veilleur de Nuit by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Bornéo 1834 by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens L'orpheline by Serge Lutens