La myrrhe 1995

La myrrhe by Serge Lutens
La myrrhe is a perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 1995. The scent is resinous-oriental. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

AldehydesAldehydes
AmberAmber
AniseedAniseed
MuskMusk
MyrrhMyrrh
SandalwoodSandalwood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 06.07.2021.

Marieposa
A balm that has feelers and bites
When the three wise men from the Orient pay their respects in Monty Python's classic "The Life of Brian", gold and frankincense quickly arouse the hospitality of Brian's, shall we say, "rather brittle" mother. The myrrh, on the other hand, is met with as much skepticism as the high visitor before. Even the explanation that it is a valuable balm cannot really convince her. Such a thing could be contagious and she had heard of germs that have feelers and bite. The gentlemen are welcome to drop by any time and leave gold and frankincense, but next time they should rather smear the myrrh in their hair.

As I sniff my wrist, generously scented with Serge Lutens La Myrrh, I realize that I'm much the same as Brian's mother: sure, I can picture gold, and I can easily recall the scent of frankincense from olfactory memory, both in the form of resin and smoke. Myrrh, on the other hand, is a great mystery to me. I've read up that it's a tree resin found primarily in Somalia and is used as a resin or oil for ceremonial and medicinal purposes. So much for the theory. But how does myrrh smell now?

Serge Lutens Myrrh does not provide me with an answer at first, all I can say is that this balm really bites. What I dabbed on my skin, smells namely first of all exclusively after hairspray of the worst kind. I'm talking about the stuff that hasn't been on sale for decades because it destroys the earth's atmosphere, and which I only know because my grandma still keeps leftover stock in the attic. Responsible for this is a salted portion of aldehydes, which I don't even know from Chanel No 5 in this concentration. About fifteen minutes and the aldehydic meteorite hail has subsided, five more minutes and I dare to bring my wrist to my nose again - and what a reward is waiting for me! Iced, airy aniseed cookies, flavored with a hint of bitter almond oil float towards me, paired with a zirtish glow. Am I influenced by the orange color of the perfume, or do I really smell tangerine?

The scent is cool and spicy and silky. A golden glow emanates from it, like unexpectedly seeing a bonfire smoldering in the distance while walking on an icy winter night, without feeling its warmth. All right, if this is how myrrh smells, the three wise men may deposit their stock, spurned by Brian's mother, with me anytime! I can't stop sniffing my wrist. La Myrrh is beguiling! But also demanding, complex, uncompromising, and so rich in contrast that its magic is definitely not for everyone.

Would I wear La Myrrh more often? Oh yes, all the time. A few minutes of hairspray headache I gladly accept for this fragrance. I'd just rather not think about what happens when you make the fatal mistake of spraying instead of dabbing.

Oh, Gorgeous!
Browsing for something different to wear today, my eye fell on La myrrhe. Thinking I hadn't worn that in forever I put it on and was immediately delighted by its spicy, syrupy, myrrhy charms. I remembered my long ago Serge Lutens Sniff Fest and found what I'd said then:

"Oh gorgeous! Our database says myrrh, amber, aniseed, musk, sandalwood. Also aldehydes. My nose doesn’t want to leave my arm. There’s a distinct note of sweetness in this yummy, musky myrrhy scent, though. Surrender to Chance says it’s: myrrh, mandarine, bitter almond, woody notes, rare spices, pimento berries, sandalwood, honey, jasmine, amber and musk. Don’t know how I’ve missed this beauty so long. The mandarin and honey stand out, as does the jasmine, supported so well. Will try an all day wear."

I did and it resulted in a purchase. Not neglecting this darling again because I love strong, accomplished scents and this is both. My nose is not yet aldehyde-aware so I can't isolate that smell, but this for me is everything the first adehydic marvel is not. Chanel No. 5 aldehydes actually make me physically ill, at least in the current version of No. 5. Must try the vintage for comparison. But whateve aldehyde is in La Myrrhe makes me a little drunk with delight.

Well, as it ages on my skin, I do begin to smell a slight vaguely gasoliney note. That must be the aldehyde. Yes, I see it powers up the other notes considerably without posing a problem to my nose. Kudos. It's just the sort of boldly fabulous scent I like to marinate in all day---musky, myrrhy, ambery, sweet wonder that it is.

Robitussin...
Oh no! This one is definitely not for me...

The first thing that popped into my mind when I tried my sample on skin was a soapy version of the scent of Robitussin cough syrup from my childhood. The aldehydes here come off as somewhat sweet and very cloying. Just loathsome smelling, IMO. I apologize to the many fans of this one, but I call 'em like I see (smell) 'em. This is a definite scrubber for me. Projection and longevity are all too good. I didn't like the taste of liquid Robitussin back then, and I like the smell now even less. I'll be quite generous and award this stuff 1.5 stars out of 5 due to its superior projection and longevity.

Fairy ring
If you had asked me how i expected a Serge Lutens interpretation of the myrrh to smell like, it wouldnt have been what La Myrrhe is.

The start is an overdose of aldehydes, with a very ethereal jasmine and lotus. I don´t love aldehydes or jasmine so much. Jasmine seems not to work well with my skin, and i find aldehydes normally are very overwhelming and "old ladylike". None of this happened in La Myrrhe. I was happy it was a jasmine airy enough for me, but this is secondary, because the jasmine note doesnt last long. It was the aldehydes what captivated me. Here they are not alcoholic, warm or bright, but kind of metallic, cold, otherworldly. In combination with a green unripe anise, La Myrrhe has a very medicinal, or poisonous, soapy vibe in my skin.

Am i dissapointed, not at all. I really didn´t care much for trying the sample...i thought it would be another oriental, spicy, resinous Lutens. I was frankly surprised i find La Myrrhe pretty dazzling.

The mist of aldehydes dissapear, the jasmine-aniseed sugarcoat stays, then the myrrh unfolds its dark wings... cold, mushroomy, mysterious, nocturnal... This fragance has a clean cool texture and a dark soul expressed delicately. It is very pleasant, with a slightly smoky aftertaste and echoes of jasmine.

The last drydown turns ambery, warm and comfortable, but not particularly interesting although beautiful ghosts of the former notes weakly appear now and then... compared to the first and second stages that i find very unique and enjoyed so much. Worths a full bottle?... should have to keep wearing it to answer that question.

MyhorsesMyhorses 5 years ago
Chanel No 5 a la Oncle Serge

by Merlina
by Merlina

Popular Serge Lutens

Chergui (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Vétiver oriental by Serge Lutens Fourreau noir by Serge Lutens Fumerie turque by Serge Lutens De profundis by Serge Lutens Iris silver mist by Serge Lutens Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Douce amère by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Veilleur de Nuit by Serge Lutens Bornéo 1834 by Serge Lutens L'incendiaire by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens