La Religieuse (2015)

La Religieuse by Serge Lutens

La Religieuse is a perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is floral-sweet. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Jasmine, Civet, Musk, Frankincense

Submitted by Michael, last update on 05.06.2019

5.0 5.0 7.5 5.0/10

The Flying Nun
This pales in structure and uniqueness to "A La Nuit" for Jasmine offerings from Serge Lutens. The top notes on "La Religieuse" are a fresh soapy Jasmine and a faint aseptic Frankincense that reminds me of catholic Mass and the freshness of non-sweetened blossoms of Spring of "Nuit De Cellophane" and screams 'Summer!' and 'Sunny Daywear!". The civet in also a late arriving meek little woodland creature, not related to SL's Grand Duke of Civet Funk (in my mind) such as "Musc Koublai Khan". La Religieuse lasted about as long as organized religion on my skin...4-6 hours with moderate sillage of about 6 inches through out. The SA described this as "Beautiful, Playful...but uncharacteristically restrained for Serge Lutens, in general"...and I concur. I would wear this, but since I already own Nuit De Cellophane- I'm not in need of another soapy white floral from this house- I am looking for Sensual eroticism, Mesmerizing tales of Night blooming Jasmine and hypnotic fantasies- so I will go for "A La Nuit" in the Jasmine Category from SL. Don't get me wrong, this is decent and a fine neutral, fragrance, as innocent as a Sunday potluck dinner, but not at this price point when very similar scents are available such as "Healing Garden- Sensual Jasmine" for under 10 USD at the local drugstore. I would get this for my Mother (if she were not allergic to perfumes) or a teenage niece for a sweet 16 birthday gift (if I had one) and wanted her to have a really expensive/niche introduction to fine fragrances, but did want her to garner too much extra attention from admirers quite yet. "It's a nice day for a white wedding."- Billy Idol

Gosh.
The only reason why I wouldn’t completely bash this to death is that it reminds me of a dirty cheap deodorant my mother used as a room spray at my parent’s place. That’s the quality, that’s the texture: cheap jasmine, a hint of citrus, aldehydes and a ton of industrial white musks. I don’t smell anything else. A huge depressing whiff of cheapness. But it reminds me home, so... Anyway, since it’s the fourth or fifth Lutens scent in a row which makes me wonder what has happened to this once-so-glorious brand, I won’t compare this to the previous releases – I mean the good ones. It’s a dead brand for sure, we got it, I’ll stop acting sad and surprised. Still I must admit La Religieuse is slightly better than the last couple of Lutens’ fragrances, though: as much cheap as it smells, and boy it does, at least it doesn’t clumsily emulate some naif avantgarde stuff a decade late on the trends (Laine de Verre or L’Orpheline anyone?). It smells decent: terribly cheap and low-end designer, but decent. “Acceptable”, say. The thing is: why on Earth one shall settle with the lamest scent around, at that price? I wasn’t kidding when I mentioned a supermarket deodorant – I meant it. La Religieuse hasn’t the slightest interest and/or quality which may justify even half of its price. It smells really *poor*, plastic, unsubstantial. It just doesn’t stink. But I can’t really see the point.

4,5/10
9.0/10

Lily2911
La Religieuse, the haunted nun ?
I received the mini from Paris store via postal service as the SA lady promised me to do once she was allowed. Such a lovely gesture because i missed their launch last Saturday and herewith my feedback : it is an incredible complex jasmin with definitively animalic underground due to civet, unique combination of sweet white jasmin, but with fresh body and restrained smokiness due to the incense and very sensual dry down because of the musk.. it is officially an unisex and men can definitively wear it because it is a kind of modern interpretation of a soapy floral.. Don't expect the lush creamy jasmin, no it is the more fresh, crispy, grassy jasmin interpretation with good sillage and average longevity. Is it a "haunting" perfume ? In a way it is, don't be misled by the simple official composition of the notes, there is some magician behind it to develop a perfume which is built within so many layers of jasmin. I am mostly used to that typical indolic jasmin, well this perfume has not these typical indolic jasmin notes, quite the contrary. It reminded me first to other flowers like LOTV or even freesia, mimosa, brought me almost off balance. Could not believe it first that jasmin is the only flower in here..
I really love it and i ordered immediately a FB ! I can highly recommend to test it for the real SL lovers who appreciate a modern floral.

by DilaraM
by DilaraM
by Shivsri13
by Shivsri13

Popular Serge Lutens

Chergui by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Arabie by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens La fille de Berlin by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens Daim blond by Serge Lutens Fleurs d'oranger by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Clair de musc by Serge Lutens Nuit de cellophane by Serge Lutens Jeux de peau by Serge Lutens À la nuit by Serge Lutens