Miel de bois (2005)

Miel de bois by Serge Lutens

Miel de bois is a perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 2005. The scent is sweet-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Beeswax, Ebony, Oak wood, Gaiac wood, Honey, Iris, Hawthorn

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 27.02.2019

8.0 6.0 10.0 10.0/10

Pietros921
Here we are talking about something very very very good !
Miel de bois is part of the Lutens line , the original, not the recent one... he was the best perfumer ever, the first lutens are truly amazing , artistic, malinconic, long lasting, natural smelling and so complex and unique like no other perfume ever ! Now many have been discontinued, some other reformulated brutally with synthetic s**. I had the change to smell the vintage miel de bois. My gosh...never smelled anything similar. Balanced in a way that I think nobody would be able to nowadays. The sweetness, the woodyness, the waxy honey, the flowers, everything blended so so well that when you smell this you don’t believe your nose.. its unusual for the present time where we are used to perfumes done just for fun and business with synthetic notes where one stands more our than another.
5.0 5.0 6.0/10

Coutureguru
Mad Chemist of Creative Genius? You decide ...
Sample swapping is a great deal of fun and educates the nose by experiencing things from the collections of friends that one would not necessarily seek out.

My experiences with the creations of Christopher Sheldrake for Serge Lutens have been anything but smooth. I have called the man a 'mad chemist' more than once and while I have tried my best to love some of his fragrances I have dismally failed ... until this one!
Now ... I'm not going to go off into an ecstasy here, because there is still a lot wrong with this according to my nose, but there is also so much that is right! Miel de Bois opens with the most awful note of 'apple cider vinegar' ... it's truly quite bizarre! Instead of running immediately for the scrubbing brush I gingerly persevered the first ten minutes and was fully rewarded ... the Honey here is simply spectacular!! Miel de Bois retains a certain astringency, however, into the dry down. There is a misty, silvery Iris that threads it's recumbent way through this fragrance but I don't really get much of the woodsy notes on my skin. Rather, the combination of Beeswax and Honey is so good that I would sprint a mile to get it :). Completely authentic, one can almost imagine the busy bees, working hard at the exportation of nectar from flower to hive, leg's fluffily covered with pollen. The effect is a really natural smell ... as if one has thrust one's nose straight into a golden comb.

Will I ever be able to wear this? Perhaps ... but it would certainly take a bit of getting used to. In true Lutens fashion, Miel's lifespan on my skin is far from stellar (like many other Lutens' I have tried)... but I'm gradually coming to terms with this. When I finally do, I'll probably be adding a few from this house to my collection! Mr Sheldrake has, in this instance, creatively inspired my nose :) ...
7.5 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

The beehive
My adored Miel de Bois, this wont be a review , but a love letter. I love honey and i love bees. I cannot really explain why they feel so important to me. There is something extremely humble, endearing and magic in the bees, the way they take the very essence of flowers and transform it into delicious honey, makes me think of some diligent nuns or priestesses undertaking a sacred duty.

Every variety of honey has different olfactive notes, yet all have in common one: the phenilacetic acid. Miel de Bois is loaded with it. It stresses, as much as it can do, the animalistic facet of honey..

The opening is harsh. Like approaching to a hive: under the blinding sunlight, you are surrounded by hundreds of threatening bees, all furry legs and stings ready to attack. It has a rather caustic 10 first minutes that would probably put off the most people. This is the phenilacetic acid overload that has been compared many times with, hmm, cat piss in several reviews. Although i never been told i smell like that.

To my nose, it starts with a big, very honeyed, full-bodied iris-violet floral note, with an odd blast that i can only describe it as insect-ish: sweet and savoury gaiac wood, the intoxicating scent of death of hawthorn blooms. I enjoy this phase, because i know the bees wont bite me if i dont scare them.

When the bees calm down, is just divine. Radiant aromachemicals suggest an hypnotic buzz of iridescent wings. Then, the best, most authenic honey you ever smelled. Luminous, light, dreamy. Sunlight through a honeycomb. The extremely dry woods (ebony and oak) grounds all this airiness. A wood frame, built by the crafty Beekeeper, that sustains the refined hexagonal architecture of wax, honey and light, that Miel de Bois truly is.

It lasts for hours and hours in the skin until the next day, and i swear, you can feel it in your clothes after washing them. Great sillage, the golden swarm will follow you everywhere like you were their queen (just being biologically accurate here: MdB is completely shared by men and women), so maybe not for the office!

If i have a signature fragance it is the Lutens/Sheldrake take on honey. It´s not for everybody, i admit, but it is, wholeheartedly, for me.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Delicious honey dribbling from a spoon
The house of Serge Lutens is beginning to grow on me with their quirky and strange fragrances. Miel de Bois is the one I like the most so far.

When I first applied Miel de Bois to my skin I got a strong, zesty burst of mandarin orange and honey. It almost smells like 'Butter Menthols', which are a popular brand of throat lozenges here in Australia.

Once settled on the skin, Miel de Bois takes on a soft woodsy accord, that when blended with the honey creates an interesting creaminess. The scent is soothing and warm, and dare I say, rather delicious. I am glad this fragrance agrees with my chemistry, as I'm not experiencing that so-called cat pee note that unlucky reviewers keep mentioning.

Although the honey note is indeed very dominant, musky iris and hawthorn feature quite well too. It's quite a heavenly scent, surprisingly light at times and bright enough for Spring and Summer wear, although I'd also douse myself in Miel de Bois during Winter as well.

The drydown is slightly incensey with smooth and dry woods further complimenting the honey, beeswax accord. I find this fragrance absolutely captivating from beginning to end.

The floral sweetness may be too much for some, and from what I've gathered from reading other reviews, it's a finicky scent when it comes to skin chemistry. I strongly advise against a blind purchase in this case. However, if Miel de Bois works for you, consider yourself lucky and snap up this fragrance while it is still available.
10.0 10.0 7.0/10

hot honey
Mmmmm- honey in the comb mingled with aromatic incense- Honestly, this stuff is so sexy that it should probably come with a warning sticker and be sold only to adults!
The longevity and potency is off the charts, as with most of the fragrances in this line-

Hermesh 4 years ago
First clear touch of honey, only to be later joined by discreet woods, light smoke and some animalistic notes. Beware of bees! :)+1

by Undsoweiter
by Daisy
by Pietros921
by Pietros921

Popular Serge Lutens

Chergui by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Arabie by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens La fille de Berlin by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens Daim blond by Serge Lutens Fleurs d'oranger by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Clair de musc by Serge Lutens Nuit de cellophane by Serge Lutens Jeux de peau by Serge Lutens À la nuit by Serge Lutens