Nuit de cellophane (2009)

Nuit de cellophane by Serge Lutens

Nuit de cellophane is a perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is floral-sweet. It is still in production.

Fruits, Green notes, Honey, Woods, Jasmine, Lily, Almond, Musk, Carnation, Osmanthus

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 19.09.2019

7.0 6.0 6.0 7.5/10

A smell of cellophane??
Hello and welcome to my commentary on Nuit de cellophane by Serge Lutens. The night of the cellophane,... so there are scent names, you really wonder how you get it. Maybe Serge Lutens was badly looked at by the environmental activist Greta Thunberg, so that he finally decided to use the more environmentally friendly cellophane films instead of conventional plastic films in the future :D And maybe the whole thing (or Greta) inspired him so much that he now wants to fight for the environment as well.

That's why he grabbed a cape and a mask and has been up to no good ever since (the fact that Serge Lutens bottles now have big black labels instead of white ones can't be a coincidence! Serge Lutens seems to be the true Dark Knight :D), in which he finds environmental sinners and explains to them correctly that they are wrong with their plastic bags, harm the environment and prefer to use (preferably uncoated) cellophane paper or bags, since pure cellophane is completely compostable.

Yes, yes... I'm a comic fan, as you know, so I have more adventurous fantasies and ideas than you, so what? Leave me alone, then I write just a little stupid, you know I'm a little strange :DD
Well, I couldn't find out right away why this fragrance is called the way it is called and so I'd rather come to the description of the fragrance!

The fragrance:
The fragrance begins with fresh, green notes (hmm, is that a hint with the fence post about the environment?? :D). I also smell soft and sweet notes of jasmine and osmanthus. Other flowery scents, which I can't identify very well, smell together like the fragrant flower water from flower shops, so where in big pots all the flowers are stuck in and the water gets this flowery scent.
In addition, there are oranges that also appear fresh due to their citric scent and fit very well to the previous scents, especially the green scents.
The sweetness of the fragrance is like honey from time to time at the beginning, but the honey impression disappears more and more in the further course of the fragrance.
In general, the fragrance becomes looser and looser towards the base, as the sweetish notes continue to fade away and the fragrance remains more green-floral. Despite the flowery scents, it is fortunately not stuffy or dry, but beautifully fresh and almost "juicy" because of the green notes. However, I have to say that, although I already liked the fragrance, it seemed so to me, especially in the base, when the fragrance was just about to take off, but then suddenly it was over. So you always have a feeling that "something" is missing here.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is mediocre, i.e. at a short distance he will be able to be smelled by one or the other, but he quickly loses strength. The shelf life is approx. six hours, which is still quite okay.

The bottle:
The bottle is rectangular, high and thin. It has a large black label (which used to be white) covering almost the entire front with a name and brand logo on it. The lid is black and cylindrical (or round if the spray head is not screwed on). A simple-looking, but beautiful and high-quality bottle.

Well, I think this fragrance is quite well done, but it still seems a bit too simple, so that it might sink a bit among the many other green-floral fragrances. Maybe it'll come out better if you combine it with other Serge Luten's scents? Because these fragrances should be similar to the Jo Malone fragrances among each other combinable, but I have never tried this myself, so I can say nothing further about it for the time being.

This fragrance is well suited for spring and summer, as it comes across fresh with its green notes and the flowery scents are also very suitable for the warm days, especially as they don't come across as stuffy as it is sometimes the case with some flower scents. And since we're talking about flowers: Yes, because you smell a lot of flowers here, I think that the fragrance is therefore more of a women's fragrance instead of being unisex, but in the later basis it smells more unisex again.

And because it's quite simple, you can use it more for the day, work, leisure, etc., because it's too weak to go out and also too unspectacular. But for the day it is quite nice, so that it can be tested. And don't worry, this Serge Lutens smells rather "normal" and not somehow abnormally different than some other fragrances of this brand (e.g. Dent de Lait). Apart from that you can also combine this fragrance with other fragrances, if you like, because it is really loose and simple.

And that was it again. I hope to "see" you again at my next comment (but probably not until Monday again) and wish you a great evening and now a nice weekend, until then :)
7.0/10

The gentleness
I like a lot Nuit de Cellophane. Among the whole range of Serge Lutens, Nuit de Cellophane is a young, naïve spirit that probably feels a bit out of place surrounded by so many adult, mundande, exotic characters. The scent of this fragance transports me to my childhood itself: in our school´s playground there were some ornamental bushes that in spring bloomed with little, waxy, yellow-green flowers. This flowers had a strong sweet-green scent, and dripped a sticky nectar and after a couple weeks, the scent was even more intoxicating as they over-ripen. This shrubs were not chinese osmanthus (i checked) but Nuit de cellophane recalls that plant and its glossy hard leaves.

I understand the associations with shampoo, maybe due to a very clean musk? I didn´t think of it immediately, though, but it makes sense. Newness and neatness are qualities that i can associate to this perfume.

So,how does Nuit de Cellophane smells if you didn´t go to my school or use that shampoo? To me, like moist apricot pulp, enhanced with heady honeyed flowers and lush green accents , a touch of orange and mandarin too. It is a happy, young, gentle scent. The clean musk/woody base keeps it from being too cloying. and after the juiciness of the opening calms down, it becomes a bit more sophisticated and adult version of itself, more floral and indolic, where lily glows over the apricot/osmanthus botanical sap sweetness. Now and then nuances of bitter almond milk. After such a long, fun sleepless night, it will dry down to a dizzy honeysuckle-like floralcy and musk. Definitely interesting and enjoyable, although not extraordinarily complex.
7.5 7.5 6.0/10

Shimmery Jasmine Cellophane--or is that shampoo?
I had a very interesting testing experience of Serge Lutens NUIT DE CELLOPHANE because one of my two tester vials apparently was not properly sealed, so nearly all of the liquid had evaporated. What remained was a very thick, perfume oil-like elixir. I applied it to my skin in the manner of parfum, and discovered a beautiful osmanthus-jasmine scent with a slightly soapy drydown.

Next, I added water to the empty "parfum" vial, covered the top with my finger, shook it up and poured the contents all over me. It smelled really beautiful: a resinous, clear jasmine.

Finally, I applied the edp liquid from my properly sealed vial and discovered at last the cellophane aspect of this composition. The jasmine now clearly dominated over the osmanthus and even seemed ever so slightly indolic.

I enjoyed this creation in every concentration I tried! If I acquire a bottle, I may siphon some off and let the solvents evaporate to produce a small volume of the "parfum" in my unsealed vial.

--------------------
UPDATE:

I received a fresh sample of NUIT DE CELLOPHANE with a recent order and discovered that it really is fundamentally a shampoo floral, just as Aromi and others have observed. I am reminded, in particular, very much of Bond no 9 CHELSEA FLOWERS. I'm not saying that Chris & Serge copied anyone but there does seem to be a shampoo floral movement underway.

I was considering the possibility of acquiring a bottle of this perfume, but now I am thinking that if the day arrives when I succumb to the temptation to add something from this twenty-first-century fragrance group to my collection, I'll probably opt for one of the big Bond no 9 bottles instead (it was not all that difficult to drain my CHELSEA FLOWERS purse spray)... For now, I'll continue to wash my hair.

by Sommernacht
by Hufing
by InkiBlinki
by InkiBlinki

Popular Serge Lutens

Chergui by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Arabie by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens La fille de Berlin by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens Daim blond by Serge Lutens Fleurs d'oranger by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Clair de musc by Serge Lutens Nuit de cellophane by Serge Lutens Jeux de peau by Serge Lutens À la nuit by Serge Lutens