Santal de Mysore 1997

Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens
Santal de Mysore is a popular perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 1997. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

BenzoinBenzoin SpicesSpices CarawayCaraway SandalwoodSandalwood StyraxStyrax

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 08.05.2022.

SoulVerve
Santal de Mysore--Strange opening!
Serge Lutens is where I started and got my inspiration for perfume. I like the uniqueness of this brand. Today, I received a 5 ml decant of Santal Mysore (blind buy) and sadly, thus far, I have to say that I’m a bit disappointed. Where I live, it was early spring like temperatures today, so it may not have been ideal wearing temps for this fragrance.

First whiff: takes me to a beach somewhere, and I’m smelling a peculiar cocktail drink and sunscreen. In the opening, there’s warm sweetness drizzled over the multi-scented spices. Then, strong scent of pencil shavings, caramel, and glazed carrots. The longer it sits on my skin, I’m warming up a bit to the scent—not to say I approve of it! It’s not the Santal Mysore that’s the problem; it’s my nose. For some reason, my nose and Santal aren’t jiving to the same song. So, in my little experience, I know it’s helps to get a second take on the fragrance—probably wait a couple days for the temperatures to reach burrrrr, it’s cold again. So many things can affect your reaction to a scent—so don’t give up the first smelling!

Okay, 45 minutes later I’m in first grade again. Spiced cookies, crayons, and pencils. It’s weird, and I think maybe I like it—I don’t for sure. It smells like candied spices. Very woody-spicy on the dry down. For me, the spices and perhaps the sweetness cloud up the sandalwood a bit. However, I’m beginning to like the scent okay now. Not great, but okay. I won’t be purchasing a full bottle of the juice. Many people love this fragrance, and I think that’s great—Serge Lutens is a great brand/product.

I definitely like this fragrance better on the dry down. Also in the opening, you get a good dose of curry. That may be my dislike---curry. Curry is not one of my finest spice scents. Once I let my guards down from my dislikes and the dry down begins, Santal Mysore is actually a comforting scent overall. Then there’s ginger, cinnamon, and caraway, and Vanilla, all simmered in butter. Benzoin. Benzoin is just gorgeous. The longer I wear this fragrance, it becomes more sensual and luscious. My first impression of this frag was about 2.5 or 3 stars out of 5. Now, it’s about a 4.5. Now you know why I’m fond of Serge Lutens. It’s brilliant how his fragrances can change over time, and in this case becoming more seductive. That’s how I see it.

There’s another one by Serge called Santal Majuscule with sandalwood, rose, cocoa that I would like to try. Serge Lutens, Cedre is phenomenal. I wish it was edible. My favorite SL is Chergui. Diam Blond is great too. Most of SL fragrances are unisex.

To sum it up: I like this scent. Obviously, it’s not the best SL fragrance in my opinion, but I like it and will wear it. The 5 ml Santal Mysore purchase will not go to waste, that’s for sure! I’ll discover more interesting things about Santal Mysore the next time I wear it. It’s always an experience wearing SL fragrances. I do recommend getting sample first—that goes for all (or most) fragrances. This is a wonderful fall and winter frag. Good for many occasions.

Heavenly scent
Santal de Mysore used to be the most expensive perfume in the SL lineup as the house stocked up with real Mysore sandalwood just before the ban and continued to use it in this fragrance. It is a heavenly blend that opens with food spices. If you like cumin, it doesn’t get much better than this. A touch of tasteful balsamic sweetness, not the overused vanilla or tonka type. SdM is a warm and dark scent. Its drydown will reward all patient niche snobs with subtle but wonderful creamy sandalwood. If you care about sandalwood, this one is highly recommended.

Doesn't impress me
I have owned a bell jar for some time now, and it has taken me forever (years) to be able to write anything about it because...frankly I can barely detect it! It is so light and ethereal, how does one figure out how it smells when it's there one moment and not the next? I have tons of the highest quality raw materials. You can always smell them. You don't become anosmic to natural essences. Are there really any here? I can not smell them.

So here I go, trying to describe what little I detect. Which is pitiful at this price point. First a bit of something sweet and creamy, like vanilla (probably benzoin) mixed with the tiniest bit of wood. This quickly dissipates and becomes a totally cumin scent. I think they listed the wrong note here, it's certainly not caraway. Definitely my armpits after eating Indian food for a couple days in a row (something I do frequently. And I don't mind that my armpits smell like cumin whatsoever). I think the smell of aromatic cumin is lovely, and I like it when my pits smells like cumin. From there on, I tell you, I believe there is a trace of something on my skin, but I can not even tell for sure. The whole experience is about 20 minutes long.

I sold my bell jar.

by Amber9
by Amber9

Popular by Serge Lutens

Chergui (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Vétiver oriental by Serge Lutens Fumerie turque by Serge Lutens Fourreau noir by Serge Lutens De profundis by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens Iris silver mist by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Douce amère by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens L'incendiaire by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Rahät loukoum by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens L'orpheline by Serge Lutens