Ambre sultan 1993 Eau de Parfum

Ambre sultan (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens
Ambre sultan (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 1993. The scent is oriental-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International. Pronunciation

AmberAmber Angelica rootAngelica root BenzoinBenzoin CorianderCoriander LabdanumLabdanum Bay leafBay leaf MyrtleMyrtle OreganoOregano PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood StyraxStyrax Tolu balmTolu balm VanillaVanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 26.05.2022.

Ambre sultan was additionally released in 2000 as a limited edition "Noël 2000" of 500 bottles. In 2006 the bottle collection "Les Fauves Royaux" followed, attaching the design Tigre to the scent.

DrseidDrseid 9 years ago
A very nice take on amber by Lutens here. Ambre Sultan opens with a ton of herbs and spice. At first I was afraid the spice might be a tad too much, but things...
WRothWRoth 8 years ago
This fragrance opens with a spice accord comprised of coriander, bay leaf and a dash of patchouli. It is warm and dry with a sweetish undertone due to the myrrh. As the fragrance...

Amber godfather
This is the fragrance that sparked my interest in Amber fragrances. It opens up with a blast of benzoin, sweet but vegetal at the same time. I suppose that must be the coriander and oregano. This vegetal feel doesn't completely go away but it becomes more subdued as the vanilla and patchouli start to emerge. The styrax and balsam gives this fragrance that lovely sticky-sweet ambery feel that creates an inviting and long lasting bubble around the wearer. It is a gentelmaneely and a bit old school Amber bust still up to date somehow. More suitable for middle aged mature persons. It has great above average longevity and projection. 12+ hours.

Smellavision
The perfect mix of amber and incense...
Dried fruits that come wrapped in a blanket of spicy yet creamy and warm, almost slightly burnt amber with sprinklings of oregano, coriander and bay leaf.

This is not as much a sweet amber as it is a dirty one - a great fusion of notes with the incensy amber playing the main theme. Very well composed, even if the notes are somewhat stereotypical, the art here is making them work together very seamlessly which Sheldrake manages to A+. After the first half hour it's pretty linear and not evolving that much, but it is long lasting, dry, rich and deep with some reminiscence of an arabian souq. I even find some tiny similarities to Tauer's LADDM, as it is only slightly - as in very little - sweeter. Also, what makes it stand out from other ambers, is the herbal aspect which keeps it from smelling too sweet and at the same time makes it continually interesting to return to.

If you're an amber lover you should definitely check this out, personally I find this one of the top 3 ambers I've ever tried.
Better than the ex
I have to stretch a little to describe what Ambre Sultan means to me.
Last winter, I fell in love with Grand Soir | Maison Francis Kurkdjian - hard. Those spicy, warm and soft components combined with a heaviness, a weight that I hadn't known before - and it took me back to my grandma's kitchen...
I loved smelling its spray - only unfortunately I lacked the appropriate occasions to wear it.

Then someone messaged me on Parfumo asking if I could part with it - and I said yes. And then I was sorry.

How could I let this heavenly, but hard to wear fragrance go like that?!

I villain!

There might have come opportunities to get to know each other better...

And then I got to know Ambre sultan Eau de Parfum.
And that has hit me like a bomb.
Spicy, warm, soft - so much weight.
Like Grand Soir, only more masculine, sensual - and wearable!

Ambre sultan Eau de Parfum starts right away with this warm spicy orientalism, which accompanies him all the time - and after a short time a special feature creeps in, a tone that can be better described with the English funky than with the German Animalik, because it hits it less.
Ambre sultan Eau de Parfum is not animalic, but he has this fresh, incredibly exciting note, which some here in the forum with the fur of a cat describe.

Please don't be put off: this is really just background and perfectly integrated.
But just this twist makes Ambre sultan Eau de Parfum so incredibly pleasant, so exciting, so exciting - and so wearable!

Ambre sultan Eau de Parfum is for me a perfect fragrance for cold days.
A classic, which rightly has its permanent place on people's shelves for almost 30 years - and for me an absolute stroke of luck, because he has not only made up for my "loss", but still far exceeded!
Wild ambergris
The description of Ambre Sultan can not exclude an important specimen of the cat world: the sand cat!
Their fates seem to cross to have a single epilogue.
Ambre sultan opens with extremely wild and animalic notes, but it is not a musky or animalic perfume in the strict sense of the word. We can call it an "atypical" animal amber. This is exactly why I associate Ambre Sultan with the sand cat: majestic, austere and wild.
Ambre sultan is one of Serge Lutens' most important fragrances and is so important to the brand that you can't know Serge Lutens without knowing this perfume. Ambre Sultan represents a fundamental side of Serge Lutens. It is believed that the inspiration for this fragrance came during a trip to Marrakech that Serge took in the early 90s. Serge shared his idea of "Amber" and his travel inspirations with the great master Sheldrake, who turned it into a masterpiece.
The composition contains a dense web of spicy notes with a base of labdanum and myrrh. The spices are very numerous and of great olfactory impact, but always well balanced.
Coriander, bay leaf, oregano and myrtle are clearly perceptible. The base of labdanum gives the fragrance a feline, animalic aspect, but myrrh and benzoin make the scent enveloping and warm.
The perfume bears no resemblance to other amber fragrances of the 1990s, which usually had a base of vanilla, coumarin and fruity notes. Serge Lutens, thanks to Sheldrake's mastery, has turned over a new leaf and composed one of the most important amber fragrances in history.
This revolutionary work has produced a wild, feline amber that is also mystical and meditative.
The angelica root note lightens the spicy heaviness of coriander and styrax. After a few hours, the perfume transforms into a warm and enveloping cloak with sandalwood and patchouli. This is an amber for true lovers of the note, if you are looking for a sweet and vanilla amber you are wrong, here you will find warmth, heavy spices, caravans full of resins and precious woods and only at the end the sand cat makes purr.
The review refers to the vintage version of the perfume.

Kyrabi
THE amber as it should be
Opinion referred to the intermediate version of which I keep just under 100ml and I was able to test thoroughly; of the original version (palazzo) I have only a small sample and of the new version I avoid any test since (they tell me) it has become yet another sugary and cloying abra ... what a pity! It is simply THE amber perfume, as long as you really like amber as a single and solo note. It starts with green notes of laurel and oregano (recalls the opening of Interlude man by Amouage), which immediately disappear and give way to the riot of alternating resins. It goes from the clear resin, the one that recalls fresh pine cones, to the incensed one that recalls the interior of a church. Then it settles on a warm, full-bodied and round amber, sweet of that sweet that only amber can give, different from the sweet of vanilla. Beautiful perfume and for me, to date, the best amber ever heard.
Ambre At Home
Ambre Sultan was for me the first fragrance that "embraced" me.

It makes me feel comfortable, at home, nestled in warmth. It smells to me like Morgan Freeman's voice sounds. Fatherly. Warm. Familiar. All worries are momentarily forgotten and you can relax.

Ambre Sultan smells the way cashmere feels. Warm, soft, gentle and vulnerable at the same time.

Clearly French perfumery, very round composition, which thus does not seem particularly modern, but for all lovers of old libraries, dark wooden huts, warming smells and the urge to sniff yourself all day on the wrist.

For me, by far (and I've been through them ALL) the best amber scent.

Flacon sensational, flat and thus useful when traveling.

Absolutely unbeatable quality for the price.

On a woman so beguiling that I forget before loud smelling quite what we actually intended...
Orient Express
One spray only and the door opens:
The glass door to the saloon car of my Orient Express', acting like burn-out lace.
I enter an area of sensory-impressive luxury in the scent of spices, precious balsamic oils, smoky resins and embracing warmth.
What an incredibly balanced composition has the dear Solstice bottled for me for Christmas: thank you for that!

A pyramidal structure of the fragrance notes I can not perceive.
Rather, a harmony opens up to me in warm brown and green tones with bright light reflections - like thick and inviting upholstered chairs and sofas, precious wood paneling and delicate glass and crystal.
A world: just to sink into.

Coriander and bay leaf spices flash as soloists for a moment before marrying with myrtle and benzoin; a light smoke envelops the already very awake but not overstimulated senses.
Labdanum joins them: well fits this slightly herbaceous and own kind of cistus in the previous fragrance weaving, before the balsamic beauties - tolu balsam, styrax and finally vanilla gently sand off any rough edges in the previous creation and round off this yet somewhat idiosyncratic mixture.
Of course, the classics of the perfume world sandalwood and my "darling" patchouli may not be missing.
Without these two, the senses flattering fragrance beings, but every Oriental would only be a shadow of its former self.
But they are here: languid and lush they spread and embrace exuberantly.
And so Serge Lutens "Ambre Sultan" lives up to its reputation as an opulent oriental.
So far, I find myself in the middle of a luxurious "salon car of fragrances" that richly surrounds me with all the secrets of 1001 nights.
The crown gets this fragrance creation by amber put on: noble and golden glow.
Here, too, is rather resorted to a slightly matte gold variant; so much more appropriate, as bright glow and radiance.
Because this matte elegance of amber harmonizes excellently with the dominant earthy-resinous spice.
Generously and equally tasteful were composed here the "fragrances of Arabia" to an almost magical overall impression. A meeting full of noblesse.
As if I were in a "compartment of fragrances", in which I can stay for several hours and feel good.
Because also the durability fits excellently with everything so far; everything develops comfortably; not obtrusive, quite noble and comfortable.
A feel-good atmosphere is created, which I would not like to leave at all.

I also do not have to; Solstice left me such a generous filling that I can still revel for a long time in this world apart from everyday life.
So, sighing comfortably, I leave myself to the soothing sound of the wheels of my very own Orient Express, which whisks me away.
Yes, where do you think?
Perhaps in the land of dreams and harmony?
The next time spraying will show it!
Once Marrakech and back
I had the opportunity to get a small filling of Ambre Sultan and was actually strongly assumed that I could not do anything with the fragrance as such.

But immediately after spraying I had to think of my vacation in Marrakech, this fragrance,which is found in the depths of the souks and also adheres to the people in the souks themselves.the fragrance is extremely complex, balsamic,spicy and warm. I smell saffron, coriander, warm amber and slightly herbaceous notes.

If you've ever been to Morocco,you'll know this wild yet cohesive blend of scents in the souk.This blend,which pours from a wide variety of shops and stalls in the souk,offers an oriental mix of spices and woods,resin,incense,leather goods,mint,amber,tea,citrus notes,myhrre and vanilla.

While I don't know if I actually want this fragrance,I keep sniffing my wrist and am overwhelmed by the creation.Whenever I sniff,I stand in the middle of the souk.

To the left and right of me hang colorful fabrics, kaftans, leather bags, mules, Sitzpoufs pile up in the shops. Further back, golden lampshades hang, colorful glasses stand in shop windows, tea is being poured somewhere, art is being hammered in niches.
behind me I hear a spice dealer loudly chattering with his customers. Steam from cookshops,with wonderful spices pouring from the surrounding alleys. The heavy scent of incense is in the air,so thick you could cut the air. Heavy perfume oils strip my nose.No matter where you walk and stand,everywhere the eye discovers new and the nose catches other smells.

Golden amber gives the fragrance "ambre Sultan" not only its name,he is also the main actor who keeps from beginning to end in the fragrance.Not intrusive but present benzoe resin accompanies and gives an additional comforting warm and earthy note but also a leathery sweetness.
Since I hate leather in fragrances should be said for even non-leather fans that this is not a typical leather smell, which is noticeable here.

Coriander, angelica root and Labdanum smells one.
Likewise, the scents of bay leaf and myrtle can be sniffed quite clearly.oregano, sandalwood, styrax and soft vanilla join them. The scent does not change much, remains the same and for hours.

The resinous notes are so fine-tuned and so soft, that my nose is not bothered by it. The fragrance would lack originality,would these notes of styrax and benzoin are missing.

If someone has never smelled the Orient or even the Arab world, ambre sultan should definitely try once, because it underlines the fairy tale of a thousand and one nights.

The fragrance is absolutely unisex and equally wearable for ladies and gentlemen without inclination in one direction or another. On the right person and the right type of person, this exclusively exceptional fragrance can become a real signature fragrance.

Durability, sillage and projection: Remains consistent skin, lasts a very long time.
DarkWinterCS
My second Lutens - may a little wildcat still be his Lord Sultan ?
Ambre Sultan is a much more difficult case than I had first suspected. For as the absolute bomb of the Orient mentioned by name, he does not only show the Orient, but also the animals which the Sultan has crammed together as objects of prestige in his empire.
My nose seems to be playing some kind of trick on me, because my brain makes some kind of scent connections here, which I can't explain to myself and which sound completely abstruse to me.

But from the beginning, because next to Chergui this scent was quickly on my wish list for testing. If a fragrance is titled "THE" oriental fragrance, then as a fan of this direction you immediately become aware of it and wish for a sample under your nose. I can anticipate it, this scent is definitely different and on the borderline where I can't classify whether this scent is positive or negative on my mind.

Especially the first hour it is a rollercoaster ride of feelings and smells. Amber, spice and vanilla are permanent companions on my skin throughout the entire development of the fragrance. A good basis, but the fragrance as a unique selling point is not enough. Because there are scent chords that are combined crazy in my nose.
So I hear a kind of sweet and sour jelly babies at the beginning, then in the next moment a kind of menthol, which then develops further in the direction of herbal bobbins.

This slightly sour note remains on my skin for a long time, but I cannot classify it exactly. It has some trace of animalism, something slightly urine-like, but which does not disturb excessively. It's there, you hear it, but wouldn't say it doesn't fit. Although over time it recedes further into the background
All the notes I have heard in this fragrance somehow fit together. Each note has its place in the whole construct and builds on each other. Unfortunately, I have a similar problem as with the Chergui, because the one on my skin is getting too ordinary and too mainstream. These great oriental spices remain and also this light animalism, but not so that it comes out of itself
The shelf life is quite good, but somehow many notes fade after a certain time, so that he then oscillates mainly between vanilla, sandalwood and spice.
Monstrous is just the Sillage at the beginning. Because here a whole room is redecorated into a tent of the Sultan and can definitely be a nuisance with this slight acidity. It is therefore 100% suitable for everyday use, but it quickly becomes softer.
My Amber Number 25

Serge Lutens - Ambre sultan

We crossed Borneo, Kalimantan and Saravak and went to visit Brunei. With the sultan. Perhaps the richest man in the world
During a spontaneously warm amber reception, we are served from a mysterious elongated bottle of fragrance. Welcome. Something Bruneian? With the irritating fertility of tropical nights
The elixir of the sultan.

The scent of wood, leaves and herbs from the nearby, rustic forest - nothing of the teak plantations in monoculture - envelops us with a great flap of wings. We notice laurel, woody coriander seeds and bitter coriander leaves. Oregano and green sourness fill an unconventional soup glory. Narrow strawberry animalism rounds off.

And we smell amber again. More of a hunch. Very low-key. And as they tell us, angelica. Almost dirty wood. Jungle. The composition is green, spicy and slightly acidic. With a touch of bitterness. Wood dark, moist. Not dusty, not dry, not light. Unsweet.

A "green" amber, which has a fragrance that is very different from cuddly, warm, soft scents. But sandalwood, delicate honey, labdanum and vanilla flatter together to create a long-lasting fragrance. To individual beastliness.

Amber special class
8.0 / 7.0 / 7.0 / 7.0

RisingChaosRisingChaos 2 months ago
Warm vanilla-amber, BIG medicinal bay leaf + dusty spices that give it an herbal and slightly powdery feel. Sweeter Tauer LDDM-ACDD.
VictorREVictorRE 3 months ago
Ambre Sultán is the epitome of an amber scent. It has a sweet incense nuance that makes it special.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 6 months ago
Probably THE amber scent. One of the first and is spot on. Love the spicy aromatic elements and the resinous drydown. A must have. 4/5
Dkar16Dkar16 7 months ago
Definitely an spicy and complex amber. A solid alternative to the sadly discontinued gem, Amber Absolute. Performance not the same..
KimJongKimJong 1 year ago
The more you experience other Ambery fragrances, the more you will discover the greatness of Ambre Sultan.
EsojoEsojo 2 years ago
I recognize it is a well-executed perfume, but I don't find it an otherworldly amber. I'll keep revisiting it...!
FranknSenseFranknSense 3 years ago
This perfume is my personal spice bomb in an ambiance of amber, balsams and resins. It's a complex fragrance but so easy to love.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
A fragrance made of spices & resins. But bear in mind that the spices are wonderful and the resins are fantastic. Truly recommended!
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 4 years ago
One of the most beautiful ambers ever. Smells so exquisite, so refined and luxurious. I absolutely love this one.

Für meinen Vater 07.02.2017*
by Serge
by Qader2009
by Qader2009
by Miaw2
Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan (Version aus 2015)
by MrNiceGuy
by Somebody
by JJ84
by JJ84

Popular by Serge Lutens

Chergui (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Vétiver oriental by Serge Lutens Fumerie turque by Serge Lutens Fourreau noir by Serge Lutens De profundis by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens Iris silver mist by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Douce amère by Serge Lutens L'incendiaire by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Rahät loukoum by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens L'orpheline by Serge Lutens Cuir mauresque by Serge Lutens