Chergui 2001 Eau de Parfum

Chergui (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens
Top 91 in Unisex Perfume
Chergui (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 2001. The scent is spicy-oriental. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International. Pronunciation

AmberAmber HayHay HoneyHoney IrisIris LeatherLeather MuskMusk Clary sageClary sage RoseRose SandalwoodSandalwood TobaccoTobacco Juniper berryJuniper berry FrankincenseFrankincense

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 06.05.2022.

Romantic and mysterious
Of course, if you are a perfume lover and have watched at least top 10 Niche you will know that Chergui comes again and again in the top half.

I purchased my first sample ever from a sharing on Parfumo and it was a Chergui 10ml .. what a beautiful scent and with a mystery around it. The sweetness combined with the hay and honey, tobacco .. are just to die for.

I think it is so special, that it´s even detrimental to it, unfortunately .. because other than a date with plans for later, I do not see where it would go very well worn.

It is very romantic, close to the bubble, do not project much but stays for many hours present .. at least my bottle, most likely reformulated.

I hope you will enjoy my short presentation of this scent and also maybe you wonder in the same way as I do: why there is no refill from Serge Lutens, the bottle is refillable but they do not offer this option - strange.

MariaS
It smells like Christmas!
I blind bought this perfume from the ratings and the reviews...In Greece we dont have Serge Lutens ANYWHERE to test them, so I was like "how wrong can 1175 ratings be"??

It is a difficult and complex perfume and a mature one. Its not easy going or mass appealing. The first smell got me confused...I thought I was smelling lavender which I hate in perfumes and didnt know what to think. As it settled on my skin, I realized that it smells like Christmas. I remember when I was younger and we were preparing for Christmas holidays, we unpacked the Christmas decorations that we stored in boxes filled with cloth flower scented sackets, that had a bit of dust from the cellar they were stored, the fireplace was warming the atmosphere, rose candles were burning and Christmas sweets with honey were always on the table. This is the picture I got on my mind when I realised how this perfume smells.

I would characterize it as a honey dusty tobacco - rose scent. It is a very mature and atmospheric scent, for experienced noses! I wouldnt recommend a blind buy unless you are into niche perfumes. Its totally unisex and for cold weather only!!

My bf said that it smells like Fan your flames by Nishane combined with Angels share by Kilian and I believe it is also a great way to make someone understand how it smells.

Hope my experience helped you understand how beautiful this perfume is.

Be safe smell great!!

Maria

The Honeyed Scent of Sand
"A fire fanned by the wind, a desert in flames. As if bursting from the earth, Chergui, a desert wind, creates an effect that involves suction more than blowing, carrying plants, insects and twigs along in an inescapable ascent. Its full, persistent gusts crystallize shrubs, bushes and berries, which proceed to scorch, shrivel up and pay a final ransom in saps, resins and juices. Night falls on a still-smoldering memory, making way for the fragrant, ambery and candied aromas by the alchemist that is Chergui." is how Lutens describes Chergui, and in this case, unlike with La Fille De Berlin, the lyricism is far from excessive. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is entirely accurate.

Chergui, like the other Lutens fragrances I've tried, is as philosophical and introspective as it is easy to wear, which makes for a strange dichotomy that carries over to the fragrance itself, from top to base. And it is a journey that I could take a thousand times over, and discover something new every single time. At its core, Chergui is an Amber, Tobacco and Honey based fragrance, and looking at the notes/ingredients, you'd be hard pressed to understand why something so apparently simple has such tremendous complexity. But it does.

Chergui opens, on me, like a storm in a teacup. Powerful, thrumming with vibrant intensity, yet contained and incredibly well put together. Dry, spicy, sweet and floral. It's something that's hard to describe, and there's so much more to it. Therein lies the resinous scent of wild honey, far from fresh, that's mixed with amber from ancient trees, peppered with leaves of a blonde tobacco. It's unlike any other tobacco note I've smelled, warm, fresh and pure, without even a hint of smoke. It is tobacco in it's unadulterated form. And within this symphony of sweet and spice, is the slightest hint at a rose, like an oasis in the middle of a dessert.

A while into the wear, the sweetness disappears. Chergui becomes almost entirely dry and bitter, but not in a disappointing way. More in the way that a connoisseur would enjoy. It's still dark, and the resinous scent of the amber is shines through beautifully, with the tobacco becoming more prominent now, coupled with a distinct, if muted, hay note. And within this darkness, at the edges of my olfactory reach, something begins to develop. Something that I can't quite place my finger on, but it is there.

And as this development becomes more prominent, Chergui changes yet again. The sweetness returns, mellower now, but no less complex and nuanced than it was before, almost as if the dried honey was melted by fire and has acquired a smoked character, to compliment the smoke coming from what I can only identify as incense of a sort you'd find in the remnants of an abandoned church in a forest, underneath the same ancient trees from which this beautiful amber/honey accord comes from. A dark, rich incense, with a distinctly floral character.

As the dry-down arrives, it brings with it its own characteristics, unique, but no less enjoyable. Chergui changes almost entirely from the initial spray, while still remaining true to the opening. The honeyed sweetness and tobacco settle and intermingle in the most beautiful way, combined such that it's hard to tell them apart, but they can still be found, dancing with the rose, flirting with something visceral and animalic, wild, untamed, but understated. And yet, as wild as it is, there is a coziness to it, a warmth and familiarity that makes makes little sense, and yet, fits perfectly!

To summarize, Chergui has an interesting, clashing, duality to it. It's bright, uplifting and cozy. But also dark, mysterious and unapproachable. It makes for a beautiful olfactory experience, and the intrinsic romanticism of this scent, suits the description given by Lutens both in spirit and in implementation. Truly a masterpiece, and one that everyone should smell at least once in their lifetime!
Wow, that was fast
... five days ago I smelled him sample and I really liked him! After I have worn him two days, it was clear: I MUST have. And now, he stands in front of me and I'm happy like a little child, so I'll wear it again today, although the weather does not fit absolutely, because here it is 28 degrees and sun. For me, he fits absolutely in the cooler season & thus for the upcoming autumn / winter more than perfect.

About the scent: I get a strong charge of spices and sweetish tobacco, along with the clary sage & the sweetness probably from the honey. It wasn't until I read that hay was listed that I smelled again & if you know the smell well (I sort of grew up on my grandparents farm) you recognize it. Frankincense & sandalwood are recognizable.

The description dry hot desert wind fits it very well, however it has this great spiciness with a super pleasant sweetness that really makes it more than wearable. I think there's something mysterious and dark about it.... It radiates very well, so H+S are more than rated "good".

Now I hope it gets cooler very soon, so I can wear more than one spray. Test it. :)

MrLawman
The warmth of the Moroccan desert
About the sensation

In the world of perfume, a breeze (or wind) is usually associated with a sensation that cools and refreshes. Think: ocean, cloudless sky and beach. So important on summer days. Almost every brand - to name a few: Calvin Klein, Davidoff, Givenchy, Tommy Hilfiger, Jean Paul Gaultier, Issey Miyake - has been launching these summery variants for the past decade or so. And every year they manage to give a slightly different, summer-fresh interpretation to a popular fragrance.

But a breeze that makes the sun feel like a warm and intensely sensual caress on your skin is a rare thing. A scent that warms you and makes you wander through the deserts of Arabia near an oasis. And then came Chergui in 2001.

This fragrance takes the desert heat one step further. Chergui captures you from the start - no cooling oasis nearby. The fragrance is named after the 'famous' wind that blows across the inhospitable Moroccan mountains and deserts.

No fresh pleasure, just warmth: fragrant, hot grains of sand scattered on the skin by the balmy wind.

It's another typical Lutens', that is: lightly candied and with a deep layer of spices and milky resins.

Only, and this is the first time I've said this about a Lutens fragrance: the intensity of Chergui could have been a bit stronger for me, precisely because the scent is so good.

But still: Meanwhile, I'm reminded of the final scene of the movie Morocco (1930), where Marlene Dietrich decides to leave her comfortable life behind and go into the desert to follow her legionnaire lover (Gary Cooper)... that a fragrance can evoke all this.

About the scent

A soft and sultry breeze that actually has all the ingredients caressing the skin at once. But first, a slight frisson of something candied that is sweet, combined with something resembling a hay note (coumarin?) that leads into a black tea-like sensation sweetened by honey. I write 'something' twice because it's all so pleasantly indefinable. Do I smell cinnamon or not, do I smell finely grated sugar or not? Then a whirlwind of rose petals surrounded by powdery iris and milky sandalwood. Beautiful. All of this is made "firmer", more animalic and sensual in the base of Chergui by tobacco, leather and amber, each mixed with musk. Don't think that tobacco and leather make Chergui 'masculine', because the sweet notes make it 'feminine', i.e. androgynous - something typical of all Serge Lutens fragrances.
MarinaS
A very atmospheric fragrance..
Serge can simply do that. ❤️ these are not just fragrances, these are stories, and Chergui is no exception. Personally, the scent gives me a feeling of film noir, speakeasy clubs and burgundy lipstick. Just plain great
Smoetn
Chergui - the better Tobacco Vanilla?
Right away - who likes sweet, gourmand fragrances, will also like Chergui, very much even. He reit himself wonderfully in the ranks of the great Gourmands - Naxos, Pure Havane, Tobacco Vanilla, Spice Bomb, to name just a few.

What I was looking forward to this fragrance and how long I had to wait for this fragrance until it finally landed with me in the form of a bottling.

So now it is here and I am strongly excited. Chergui - the name is program. Chergui is namely the name of a continental east or southeast wind that blows in the southernmost part of Morocco, a hot and dry wind from the Sahara. I've never been to Morocco (but plan to!), but when it smells like this there, you could almost think of emigrating?

As many have already commented before me, Chergui comes along classically oriental, but for me also with a special note. Initially quite sweetish (here it reminds most Tobacco Vanilla, even if it is certainly not a fragrance twin), where clearly the honey note can be made out, joins with time more and more something dry. Possibly this is the much-cited hay, although I can only guess at this. For me personally, the rose in particular also comes out relatively clearly, which for me makes the scent even better. At this point, it would almost say Chergui is a great blend of Tobacco Vanilla and Noir de Noir, to stick with Tom Ford. If you layered both fragrances, I could see Chergui being their baby.

Then, in the drydown, the tobacco clearly comes out. But not a cold stale smoke, as it seems to me with Tobacco Oud, but a dry, slightly sweet tobacco. This then pairs with the typical smell of sandalwood and becomes even more interesting. Here there is then but also my only point of criticism - as soon as the honey and the rose have withdrawn, the fragrance is somewhat more arbitrary, respectively, the magic of the beginning is lost that a bit.

The sillage is very strong, especially in the beginning, just by the sweetness of the honey. After 2 to 3 hours, the sillage then decreases, namely exactly when the fragrance is a little drier and the rose with a very delicate leather touch comes out stronger. This is where my headline comes in. Those who know my commentary on Tobacco Vanille know what comes next. Chergui outshines TV by quite a bit! I like both fragrances very much, but Chergui then ultimately but simply offers more for its money. The durability is also absolutely fine - on my skin, the fragrance was perceptible for about 8 hours (on the other hand, TV retains its magic for this throughout).

Overall, the fragrance comes from very high quality and can certainly be worn by both sexes without any problems; a real age restriction does not know the fragrance. From the season certainly rather something for the colder season, so autumn and winter, but that should be clear to everyone. The fragrance is gourmand-oriental-spicy and has rightly a high rating here on the platform. So if you like such fragrances, you should definitely have tested Chergui; you will most likely not be disappointed
Monsieur Lutens, I believe it is love
After I already own two other fragrances from Serge Lutens, I have now treated myself to the Chergui "blind". The description and the comments just wouldn't let go of me, I just HAVE to have it.
And what an excellent blind purchase !!!
My spouse is from Morocco and I have spent wonderful times there.
One of my favourite memories is a trip to the desert. There we lay on carpets in a Berber tent, drank Moroccan tea and enjoyed life.
When I apply Chergui, that memory comes back. I am back in the tent and enjoy the moment - completely relaxed and resting in myself.
Somehow Mr. Lutens actually captured Morocco - my husband was sniffing all the time and noticed that it smelled like Guelmin (the last place on the edge of the desert).

There are plenty of scents from Mr. Lutens - so far I have three, if you count the one who is on his way here, there are four. But each of these fragrances has a uniqueness, a special feature that I never knew about. I can't name it concretely either, what makes this "special". But one thing I do know: I will sniff through the repertoire of Monsieur Lutens, because Monsieur hits my nerve like no other.
Victoria225
He hasn't returned my love
Chergui has enchanted me from the beginning. Amber, hay, rose, honey, tobacco... A composition that transports you to the Moroccan desert I'd never seen anything like it before. I really thought I could "smell" the desert wind. It's a great art to create a scent that imitates a wind. I think this has worked out very well here. In my eyes, Chergui is a masterpiece.
Unfortunately he doesn't like me the way I like him - on my skin the tobacco sings solo :-( I think the scent sounds much better on men's skin than on mine. Very, very, very sad... But Chergui, I still love you, even if you don't return my love
DarkWinterCS
Somehow classic desert, but also modern emirate
Ohhh my first Serge Lutens. I'm so curious to see what's coming to me too. Is he as oriental as I imagined? Do I hear the notes of hay or is my nose playing tricks on me ?

Those were my first thoughts. You recommended Chergui and Amber Sultan to me and I was more curious than usual. After the recommendation I also informed on YouTube, this increased my anticipation even more. Since I am currently very much on the Amber and Orient trip, these two fragrances now come at the right time
If I had to describe Chergui in one sentence, it would be like my commentary heading. On the one hand, it's a classic Oriental, but it's also somehow retained its modern influences, even though the fragrance is from 2001. Or rather "2001 Odyssey through the Emirates".

First of all I would like to talk about the sillage and durability. During the first two to three hours you can hear the scent not only on your arm. It already creates a very exciting cloud around you, which you can hardly get rid of. This is mainly due to the honey, more about this in the description of the fragrance. The shelf life is also worth seeing, even if it flattens out a bit from the middle due to its development.
The fragrance is also going through a development that you would not expect at the start. Because after an explosive start, it becomes noticeably unsweeter, much softer and a little cooler over time.

Honey, iris and leather really start from zero to a hundred here and bring the nose into close contact with a beehive. Just the beginning comes across like the typical desert scent, but again a bit sweeter and more intense. But the sweetness is a bit understated.
And indeed, after a few minutes, you can hear a certain note of hay and rose. Smelling a little bit funny in one scent, but somehow something different from it.
After some time of wearing, the scent changes into areas that are more often perceived today and are also good for the scent. Because the sweetness decreases noticeably, leaving behind an almost unsweet honey. Still a little sticky, but unsweet. This is accompanied by some tobacco and creamy sandalwood in a somewhat cooler environment.

The bottom line is that the fragrance is actually very ordinary and somewhat mainstream in the heart + base note range. I would never have suspected this after the start and I'm even a bit disappointed.
So it will unfortunately not be a fragrance that will remain with me for a long time and probably will not be absorbed as a complete bottle,

But you should get the scent under your nose if you want to feel a wicked hay note. Interesting is the dudt, but in the end quite common.

BertolucciKBertolucciK 5 months ago
Chergui is a spicy, powdery tobacco with some sweet honey, dry hay and a hint of incense. Dark, resinous and with a fresh floral touch.
MrLawmanMrLawman 1 year ago
I have the old Palais Royal, black label with the green juice: its amplified, darker (prominent tobacco and hay) and more dry (less honey).
HugoMontezHugoMontez 1 year ago
A really good honey-tobacco scent, more focused on the sweet side. Super comforting and excellent for Fall and winter! Long lasting. 4/5
KimJongKimJong 2 years ago
I like my wife wearing Chergui. But it smells like a cosmetic pouch for me to wear it. In my opinion it's quite feminine.
DanushDanush 3 years ago
Smokey and deep, with a hint of rose in the drydown. A masterpiece.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
Chergui smells sweet and seductive, like burnt honey. On my skin the sweetness, and dry warmth reminds me of a sweet wine from old vines.
JoaoMartinsJoaoMartins 4 years ago
One of the most cozy fragrances ever. So delicious for the colder days. Works wonders in hotter nights too. It transforms itself
Pietros921Pietros921 4 years ago
How can you guys review a reformulated perfume .. this is an absolutly great masterpiece now reformulated and.very different from the origin

by IrisNobile
........... Kaminzeit ..... wie wär’s mit einem Punsch? .. ;)
by Ovaissaleem
by ElenaN
by ElenaN
by Kylesa
by Kylesa
Warmth of Christmas spirit inside a bottle!
by MariaS
by Baloma
by Baloma
by Meursault
by Meursault
Thank you for your words!
by FFL
by DanyPereyra
by Mcgeitner
by Mcgeitner

Popular by Serge Lutens

Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Vétiver oriental by Serge Lutens Fourreau noir by Serge Lutens Fumerie turque by Serge Lutens De profundis by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens Gris clair... (2006) by Serge Lutens Iris silver mist by Serge Lutens Datura noir (Eau de Parfum) by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens Douce amère by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens L'incendiaire by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Rahät loukoum by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens L'orpheline by Serge Lutens Cuir mauresque by Serge Lutens