Datura noir

(2001)
Datura noir by Serge Lutens
Where to buy?
Datura noir (Serge Lutens)
Datura noir is a popular perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 2001. The scent is flowery-sweet. It is still in production.

Myrrh, Bitter almond, Tonka bean, Musk, Osmanthus, Heliotrope, Mandarin, Lemon blossom, Tuberose, Vanilla, Coconut, Apricot, Datura

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 15.04.2017

In 2006 a limited bottle collection, "Les Fauves Royaux", was released, attaching the design Panthère to this scent. A bottle collection with card game design followed. The scent was attached to the design of the suit Spades.

Multiple notes are reported for this fragrance. See Parfumo Research for details.

DutchSnifferDutchSniffer 4 years ago
Scent 9.0

„Intoxicating coconut floriental. ”

SherapopSherapop 5 years ago
Scent 3.0

„Reminds me of a Discontinued Masterpiece...”

Datura not so Noir
Serge Lutens: don’t take the word “noir “too seriously in this perfume because you’ll find instead a lot of white from coconut, tuberose, almonds all enveloped in creamy vanilla, in other words how “noir” can a suntan lotion smell? We are talking about a tropical frangrance (perhaps femme fatale went out on her summer leave somewhere on a tropical island) that starts with a big creamy sweet tuberose laced with almonds, a gourmand opening.

In the first moments the almonds have some bitterness reminding of the famous poison cyanide but it disappears very soon, vanilla is doing very well its job changing nicely the bitter smell of almonds into a sweet one that in time becomes sweeter and sweeter. Later on a floral fruity accord made out of tuberose and a short living apricot shows up not for long.

After some time , as the scent evolves on the skin, almonds are changing their partner, tuberose is left in favor of coconut, almonds together with coconut continuing their dance on the skin with a good portion of suntan lotion and a lot of sweet vanilla.
Bottle 5.0/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Very helpful Review    3 Awards
Sweet, Honeyed Floral...
There is something so intoxicating about this one. Like a narcotic flower which seduces with it's sweet decadent aroma. Datura Noir reminds me that Serge Lutens knows how to make astonishingly rich, decadent floral compositions. I'm taking about A La Nuit, the jasmine tuberose powerhouse, and my personal favourite, Fleurs d'Oranger, a heady mix of orange blossom and tuberose.

Here, the main flower is tuberose, coupled with almond, heliotrope and vanilla (a trio which compliment each other perfectly) and coconut, which adds an exotic touch to an already deeply exotic perfume.

If you are a fan of heady, tropical florals, then in my opinion you cannot beat a Serge Lutens perfume like this one. Why? Because not only does it smell fantastic, it actually smells natural too. It is as if you are in a tropical greenhouse full of rare, indolic, organic tropical flowers in full bloom, and you put your nose up to a huge white flower, and the smell knocks you off your feet. If you like sweet, green, natural and tropical (not to mention realistic), then give this one a go!
Flirting with Death
I decided to risk killing myself and bought Datura noir--datura being angel's trumpet, favored for suicide in many parts of the world. In consolation in case I die, SL sent along two miniatures, two samples, and two cards of their solid perfumes. Fair enough. I love Datura noir. If it were the last thing I smelled before exiting earth, I wouldn't mind. It has some of the bold earthiness I adore in Slumberhouse perfumes, here rendered by masters of scent. Mentally, the notes don't compute, but the fragrance thrills my nose and emboldens me. Anybody planning to rob a bank? I'll be your getaway driver. Want to kidnap a handsome guy and ravage him? I'll go. [Guys, stop lining up, this is just talk.] Something about Datura noir makes me want to get in my car at midnight and drive toward the rising sun. Or go to a perfume counter and buy out the stock...then buy a house in Paris to put it in. This is the smell of extravagance and danger. I feel my heart beating strangely. Am I dying for Datura noir? I can't blame Serge Lutens. On his website he warned us: "Like a diabolic trail of smoke left by Satan in Paradise. Some say this fragrance will enthrall you; others that it will make you crazy. Others still that excessive exposure will kill you dead.."

Just in case, I'd better wash it off and live to be outrageous another day.
Sillage 5.0/10
Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 8.0/10
A Tuberose to Admire...
I have finally found a Serge Lutens that I fell in love with, from start to finish. I was very skeptical about this fragrance, as it has a few notes that I don't usually go for. But,for some unknown reason, they worked so well on my skin, I was quite overcome with emotion! Tuberose is not one of my favorite notes, nor, is coconut. I actually was more worried about the coconut, as didn't want the dreaded sun tan lotion vibe! I was praying it wouldn't develop, like it did with Virgin Island Water coconut note! But, this is soft...and creamy. The tuberose is just right! Not loud, nor pushy. The almond is so inviting, and not over powdery. All the notes are complimenting each other, all the way through. I was not expecting such a wonderful harmony..I have tested quite a few of Lutens, and the day before I dug out this tester, I had spent the day wearing Un bois Vanille , thinking this might be the one...it was just a pure stroke of luck that decided to do a full day wearing of Datura Noir..so happy that I did, as I believe I have found my perfect Serge! From the top notes, through the mid notes, to the lovely dry down..very admirable!
Sillage 10.0/10
Longevity 10.0/10
1 Award
19th century flash back
This strong flower scent transfers me to The Past.
It makes me wonder about the smells I would have known, had I lived a hundred or a hundred and fifty years ago (a good period: the beginning of photography, Flaubert, Tchechov and Proust alive): kitchen scents (madeleine), wardrobe scents, candy scents, heavy drapes, polished staircases, wooden boxes filled with correspondence, ladies who will not go out into the sun without a little parasol..
Also it reminds me of something from my own past, but I cannot pinpoint it.

Is it perfume? Not in the beginning..
Is it interesting? Very much so.
After half an hour it becomes more silky (musk?), but it is still heavy. After two hours it becomes a bit sparkling (lemon blossom?) and light even.
After four hours Datura Noir has become a darkhaired beauty with very pale skin who has kept everyone waiting - but not in vain.
Bottle 10.0/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Scent 8.0/10
Tar
4 Awards
180° turn
1st stage
Powdery marzipan with mint, fine, sun milk, soft and nice. I would say, that it is a perfect choice for summer, but after long years of parfum-mania I know myself better. I would wear it in winter, when it is cold outside and I got tired of darkness. Feminine character.

2nd stage
Salty-metallic, strong, marine song, but still sweet. Unisex character.

3rd stage
Rubbed metal, steely and cold. Masculine character.

My interpretation:

First theory:
DATURA NOIR seems to be a woman with sweetheart smile. It turns out later, that you can peel off her skin, and you find a robot behind it.

Second theory:
DATURA NOIR is a seaside holiday. We cook something nice in the morning, pack it, ramble to the beach, eat the cookies, and give ourselves up to the water. We pore over so much, that we do not even recognize the coming storm, and it catches us in the sea. We have to run to a safe place, and still feel the cold water on our skin.

Third theory:
I am wearing a „normal” Serge Lutens fragrance.

Endurance and range is better than enough.
jtd
Very helpful Review    7 Awards
how to look at datura noir
from http://www.scenthurdle.com
If I squint exceedingly hard, I can sometimes make out an individual part of Datura Noir. Almond, tonka, tuberose.

Simply focussing shows me some combinations. Oh, that was that creamy-coconut/green-tuberose sort of tuberose. Hhmmm. That almond was a bitter-almond/cherry-sweetness pastry gestalt. Nice. The drydown isn’t so much hazy as a vanilla/tonka/musky sweetness rolled loosely together. Lovely.

But Datura Noir is best seen through a unfocussed, half-hypnotized stare. It slides you into the true experience of this perfume. Datura Noir is a perfectly placed suggestion. It’s an impression of imagined summertimes, warm breezes and sweet-talk. It’s a steady, unyielding persuasion. You’re not so much seduced as you simply give way to the undertow. And when you do, it gives you that dreamlike sensation of standing beside yourself, experiencing something and observing yourself experiencing something. It’s as if you’re able to cast a spell on yourself.

Tripping. Lucid Dreaming. Depersonalization. Hypnagogia. Call it what you like.

Datura Noir. Cheaper than hallucinogenics, fewer negative side-effects than religion.
Sillage 5.0/10
Helpful Review    1 Award
Intoxicating coconut floriental.
Datura Noir doesn't contain datura , which is a plant from a genus that is known for its hallucinogenic and medicinal (atropine) properties. Apart from their poisonous nature, they apparently don't really have a smell of their own so the name is a word play and probably refers to the possibly hallucinogenic effect of wearing a tropical scent like this.

I will fess up to love both tuberose and osmanthus notes and also like the smell of coconut. Sofar, nearly every coconut fragrance I've tested, have been quite disappointing (e.g. YR Coconut, Creed Virgin Island Water), so I was a bit apprehensive. Besides, while tuberose smells great, it tends to dominate to the point of it being cloying.
But I was not disappointed: Datura Noir is an intoxicating sweet but not too sweet tropical oriental fragrance and I think to be able to detect tuberose, osmanthus, coconut, almond (faintly), vanilla and probably also heliotrope as this is the note responsible for the powdery accord.
So, if you enjoy tuberose and don't mind smelling coconut, but dislike overly dominant fragrances, you might enjoy Datura Noir as much as I do.
Some complain of short longevity but it has been 8 hours since application and it is still going strong albeit with a soft to moderate sillage.
Scent 3.0/10
1 Award
Reminds me of a Discontinued Masterpiece...
Tuberose is tricky. In Serge Lutens DATURA NOIR, it is very, very thick, in large part, I believe, due to the marked coconut note. Coconut is also tricky, and tends to overwhelm in more than minuscule doses. To my nose, this combination of tuberose and coconut is simply too heavy-handed. I love the tuberose in FRACAS and CARNAL FLOWER, but combined with the coconut cream in this composition, it seems dense and impenetrable, like a blob of, well, yes, I hate to admit it: suntan lotion!

My objection to this scent is not grounded in a general abhorrence of tropical tuberose compositions. Believe it or not, I number among the tiny faction of true believers in and fervent devotees of Guerlain MAHORA. Why do I regard MAHORA as a masterpiece (Guerlain's final chef-d'oeuvre, may that once illustrious house rest in peace...) and DATURA NOIR as something of a flop? Perhaps it is the sheer weight of the later which drags it down, preventing any significant development on my skin. MAHORA, in contrast, unfurls in delightful layers over the course of its trajectory from opening to drydown. I truly love MAHORA (which many people detest), and yet I would never wear DATURA NOIR, even if I had a bottle lying around.

I have seen no comparisons by anyone of DATURA NOIR to MAHORA but would be very interested to know what those who adore DATURA NOIR think of the Guerlain perfume (launched in 2000, one year before SL DN...). My suspicion is that anyone who loves DATURA NOIR would also love MAHORA, though I obviously serve as a refutation of the converse claim! (-: And it seems pretty clear to me that anyone who hates MAHORA is unlikely to think highly of DATURA NOIR.

The moral of this story: no one who lacks infinite liquid assets should buy niche perfume scent unsniffed!
Scent 5.0/10
Sweeeeeet
Penetratingly sweet white flower scent at first spray, like a power blast of tuberose and ylang ylang. Mercifully, this becomes softer and more subdued as it develops. At drydown, Datura Noir actually morphs into a fairly gentle fragrance.

I definitely pick up on the coconut and almond, which nicely balance the florals. Still, with the white flowers plus the candy-like almond aroma,this crosses the border into cloying for me. I'm a fan of white florals, but this is a bit to sweet for my taste.

I could see this being magical for some, though

Popular Serge Lutens

Chergui by Serge Lutens Ambre sultan by Serge Lutens Five o'clock au gingembre by Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens Un bois vanille by Serge Lutens Gris clair... by Serge Lutens Arabie by Serge Lutens Féminité du bois by Serge Lutens L'Eau Serge Lutens by Serge Lutens Datura noir by Serge Lutens Cèdre by Serge Lutens Serge noire by Serge Lutens Daim blond by Serge Lutens Santal majuscule by Serge Lutens La fille de Berlin by Serge Lutens Clair de musc by Serge Lutens Fleurs d'oranger by Serge Lutens Nuit de cellophane by Serge Lutens Sa majesté la rose by Serge Lutens Jeux de peau by Serge Lutens