Fille en aiguilles

(2009)
Fille en aiguilles by Serge Lutens
Where to buy?
Fille en aiguilles is a popular perfume by Serge Lutens for women and men and was released in 2009. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Fruits, Spices, Laurel, Stone pine needle, Vetiver, Frankincense

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 21.01.2017

Very helpful Review    5 Awards
expressionist enchantment
A richly atmospheric juice of burnt embers and incense; where woodbark, brown humus and evergreen leaves lie strewn with red sweets.

No picnic in the woods this but Hansel and Gretel abandoned in the Dunkelwald (Dark Forest).

A beguiling tour de force that resonates with something deep in the unconscious.

(Fairytale inspiration courtesy of graindemusc)
jtd
Very helpful Review    9 Awards
memory
I’m from a small town in Connecticut. Not, Suburban-New-York-Connecticut. New-England-Connecticut. In my 1960s-1970s, the New England countryside was a place of wonder and democracy. The woods were a frame of mind as much as they were a location.

Though I never thought of anything local as particularly exotic, pine was the scent of local magic. Pine was the scent of outdoors and the change of seasons. It was omnipresent and always welcome.

Fille en Aiguille’s pine is bittersweet for me. It is 30% sense memory and 70% longing.

I now live in Southern California in a climate that I struggle with every day for nine months out of the year. Its climate is almost universally loved, but is unbearable to me and anathema to my pale Celtic body and spirit, a reality that is inexplicable to those around me. Fille doesn't offer me a solution to my dilemma. It doesn't give me relief from the heat or an alternative to the deathly brightness. It triggers memory, remembrance, beauty from an an arcadian past. It reminds me of the magic. And if there's magic, there's hope.

But mostly there's just longing.
Bottle 5.0/10
Sillage 2.5/10
Longevity 2.5/10
Scent 4.0/10
Disappoints me
I did expect more from Serge Lutens.

This is not as complex as Arabie, neither as innovative as Ambre Sultan.

For me it's just a spicied and incensed pine smell with low projection and weak lasting power.

Updated January 2014
Sillage 10.0/10
Longevity 10.0/10
Scent 7.0/10
Another Dense and Intense Event Scent from le Grand Serge
After taking a few months off from my journey through the land of Serge, I decided to continue my search for the perfumes of this house which might work for me. So far I have not had all that much success, although I probably will be acquiring one of the triad FEMINITE DU BOIS, BOIS ET FRUITS and BOIS DE VIOLETTE at some point in 2014 (once my self-induced austerity campaign has come to an end).

FILLE EN AIGUILLES was recommended to me as a "must sniff" and probable "must have". I'll accept the former of those two claims without argument. The composition is seriously dense and rich in much of what I find to be unwearable about ARABIE--the dried fruits and heavy souk spices--but it is tempered by a fairly hefty pine note. By the drydown, the blend smells pretty nice and reminds me a bit of L'Artisan Parfumeur FOU D'ABSINTHE in its somewhat Christmasy demeanor.

While wearing this perfume, my mind conjured up a variety of previously disconnected memories. I recalled camping in the Rocky mountains as a girl with my sisters and dad (my mom never went because she hates that kind of thing). I also recalled eating Moroccan food on the Left Bank. What do these images have to do with one another? Until now, not a single thing. Now, they have been linked by Serge Lutens FILLE EN AIGUILLES.

Once again, I find that a creation by le Grand Serge serves more as a psychedelic drug surrogate than a perfume which I would choose to don in just about any public venue. What I like above all about these oddball creations is that they force me to address over and over again this question: What is perfume?
Bottle 5.0/10
Sillage 5.0/10
Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 7.0/10
Dark Spice...
While there are better scents from the house, I did indeed enjoy sampling Fille en Aiguilles from Serge Lutens. It starts off with a nice coniferous pine note mixed with semi-sweet candied fruit. The pine quickly recedes and the fruit remains, mixing with bay leaf and other spices along with incense. The candied fruit starts to turn almost caramelized, resembling wet tobacco leaf. That is how the scent remains for the duration to my nose... Dark, semi-sweet and incense. It is a nice accord when you combine the notes but nothing I would go out of my way to seek out. Longevity and sillage are both average. I'll give it a recommended 3.5/5 stars.
Helpful Review    3 Awards
The Evocation of a warm Summer for Winter and Fall.
The term "unisex" can often project a sense of ambiguity or hesitancy, but this Lutens has something markedly distinctive for men and women both. For men, it's the scent of the woods and fresh-split pine firewood, where a man can be proud and satisfied with his work. For women it's a celebration of a warm woodland's promising bounty and comforting acceptance.

Lutens' fragrances can be wonderful and unique but difficult to wear at times. While admittedly distinctive, this is not at all the case with Fille en Aiguilles.

If you are looking for a Lutens to suit your man, yet are reluctant to go with the safe-yet-less-distinctive Chergui, this is the one to choose. If you are looking for a warm memory of the forest in summer in a fragrance that's most suitable for Fall and Winter, this is the perfect one as well.

Not quite as well-known as some in this line, but distinctive and comforting in a way that those who hope to claim familiarity with the Lutens line, yet have not sampled this, are missing out.

Does it sound like, as a man, I have some myself, and find joy in wearing it? You bet.

But not before my sister bought a bottle for herself.
Scent 9.0/10
Very helpful Review    6 Awards
Back home in Minnesota
The sappy, resinous pine notes of Fille en Aiguilles take me back to my childhood in northern Minnesota. My friends and I would spend hours climbing pine trees which resulted in having the smell of pine tar and sap all over our hands. As Fille en Aiguilles develops it also takes on a wonderful, campfire smokiness which is reminiscent of canoe trips along the Canadian border.

Actually, the smoky aspect of the fragrance maybe challenging for some. I've heard its onset described as the 'burnt sugar' accord. It shows up not long after application and is a sort of a resinous, burned sugar aroma. However, any perceived unpleasantness in this accord appears early on and ends up sublimated into the rest of the fragrance as a pleasant smokiness.

One other note about Fille en Aiguilles. It is a fragrance with a strong personality. I don't wear it often but when I do, I find my mood needs to be in synch with the natural environment. Whether it's the time of year, the quality of sunlight, or a cold, overcast snowy day I need to feel as though Fille en Aiguilles is helping me blend into the natural temperament of the day.
Scent 9.0/10
Christmas in bottle
Another completely evocative scent from Lutens. This is the smell of the Christmases of my childhood.

This is picking out a Christmas tree with my dad at a roadside stand, with the scent of pine, fir and spruce in the air. This is also the smell of the air itself –fresh, crisp winter air. (Even though this is definitely a warm scent, there is an edge of freshness to it as well).

This is coming home to a warm house with an aromatic fire burning in the fireplace, and the needles from the newly arrived Christmas tree scattered across the floor. This is the smell of spicy cakes, baked fruits and clove-studded oranges wafting in the background.

This is a fragrance both warm and fresh, cozy and uplifting. A wonderful scent memory and a lovely perfume.

Hermesh 79 days ago
Balsamic soft dark green well combined with slightly sweet fruitiness. Only the occasional liquorice note is (unfortunately) disturbing.
Bottle 8.0