Salt Caramel (2014)

Salt Caramel by Shay & Blue

Salt Caramel is a popular perfume by Shay & Blue for women and men and was released in 2014. The scent is gourmand-sweet. It is still in production.

Julie Massé

Top Notes Top NotesCaramel, Sea salt
Heart Notes Heart NotesTonka bean
Base Notes Base NotesBourbon vanilla, Sandalwood

Submitted by Michael, last update on 06.11.2019

Salt Caramel is supposed to be inspired by the "Sea Salt Caramel Truffles" from english chocolatier house Charbonnel et Walker.

8.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Serenissima
Crème caramel in salt crust
What kind of uprising was that back then? In the cooking lessons at school (yes, that was still there at that time) we had made "caramel sweets" out of sugar. The hot mass was poured on sandwich paper and this was then divided into portions with the knife back.
Of course this had to be tried at home: Pan heated, sugar pure - it smoked, the sugar burned, it stank, not only in the kitchen terrible; my mom complained about her favorite pan.
(Today I wonder why she didn't take another pan: after all, it was a kind of experiment for her too.)
Because none of us came up with the idea of stirring milk or cream under the mass - I certainly didn't!

So it's actually a miracle that I love caramel so much: "Crème Caramel" in Italy for dessert - oh, that's something!
"Can I have something right away, please, or better yet, a lot?" To speak to "Karlson from the Roof" by Astrid Lindgren.
That's why I was particularly curious about the fragrance "Salt Caramel" when it arrived in a fragrance letter from Gelis (thanks for that).
So far I only got to know two scents of "Shay & Blue": "Framboise Noire" and "Atropa Belladonna".
I love the black raspberry hot and hearty, but I also liked the belladonna.

Now then "Salt Caramel": the tension rose - sea salt in the fragrance, that could easily backfire!
Anyway, I wasn't so happy at the Olympéa test Bulgaris "Aqva Divina" taught me the opposite.
But I am now also a "Bulgari woman", so the value of this statement is not so reliable.

A delicious bomb of caramel welcomes and caresses me immediately: "Crème Caramel" in thick sea salt crust!
These two harmonize excellently; the sweetness of the "burnt" sugar and the sea breeze - this has a very special charm.
The addition of tonka bean is very successful here. Sometimes we both don't get along; then we argue a little and the outcome varies from time to time.
But this time this aroma is in the right place and also just right dosed: it just fits everything!
A generous portion of Bourbon vanilla, creamy-wool-white and creamy, marries with the typical, always slightly masculine sandalwood scent and both set the "keystone" of this fragrance construction (to stay with the architecture) - the work has succeeded!

"Salt Caramel" is a thoroughly entertaining fragrance; not of the exceptional variety, but interesting in the composition of the scents and very endearing in the sum.
It is astonishingly durable; with me the caramel note retreats sometime and it remains a breath of sea salt on the skin.
The illusion of a walk by the sea, with a light cape of salty moisture that floats around pleasantly - you can live with it!

Like "Atropa Belladonna", I wouldn't buy "Salt Caramel" either; but I'm happy about the rest of the bottling: it's a nice creature that I can add to my scent acquaintances with this one.
So I'm curious to see what else I'll discover with this brand: so far the tests have really paid off.
The brand "Shay & Blue" simply conveys joy when wearing its fragrances.
And do we actually want more?
7.0 8.0 8.0 9.5/10

Blockbuster for the nose
Is this the perfect combination of my two greatest hobbies and passions?!
Will now overcome the hurdles that always gaped between cinema and perfume?

Shay & Blue has caught him mercilessly well, the smell of popcorn in the foyer of a classic cinema,
know about it, in times of Netflix and Amazon, soon only filmnerdige dinos?!

No, still every child knows this smell, no wonder that it hails comments, mostly positive,
if one nails a warm smell so skillfully and genuinely popular on all sides into a perfume.

Slightly salty notes permeate the caramelized, popped corn,
this fragrance is for movie fans like me more than just nice.

It's not uncommon to hear a saying like, "Wow, can I bite you?"
with this perfume you can capture every sweet nose in a playful way.

Never before has popcorn been so lifelike and rich in texture banished into a scent,
after the application I ran directly to the cinema.

A little circus, more show and a lot of cinema,
from Charlie Chaplin to Mickey Mouse.

If you like movies only rudimentarily and have cinema in your heart,
then one has poured pure joy here into the bottle.

He lights one up, naive and dear, almost like from the advertisement to the sweet grain,
as can calmly meet me, from the olfactory buffers of anger.

"Salt Caramel" is an event fragrance, monothematic but perfect in its implementation and idea,
he puts a smile on my lips, even if I'm standing in the snow with my car.

Everyone knows what awaits him, everyone knows what comes, thoughts of the most beautiful days of childhood awaken,
just don't stand too hard on the sprayer, because this memory projector lets it crash.

Super cute, super simple, super hit and super potent,
from Alice to Ripley to the one whose name nobody mentions.

Salty & Sweet...
I didn't know what to expect from this one before I tried it. Would it be too much for me? Would it be overwhelmingly sweet or cloying? Would I have to scrub it off?

Thankfully, none of those things happened because it's a wonderful fragrance and one I appreciate a lot. It's true there is a degree of linearity to this one but it is simple and has such a nice smell that I don't dislike it at all, in fact it's really quite nice!

I think the best thing about it is the addition of salt to the mix, because without that, it would just have smelled nauseatingly sweet (ie just pure caramel). So to be able to balance the sweet and sour (yin-yang) aspects of this was a really good step to take when composing this one.

I do see where the vanilla and sandalwood come in, as the dry-down starts to happen. The smell of salted caramel stays throughout, turning into a caramel biscuit/cookie feel by the end. For me it's something I really like. As a gourmand lover I would recommend it if you are into these kinds of fragrances. It's worth a try.

The son of Coco Mademoiselle and Jeux de Peau
On my mind, this is what happens if Jeux de Peau and Coco Mademoiselle had a child. I don't get much salt on this, but i do get a sugary caramel note and something that smells a lot like the bread note and the creamy sandalwood of Jeux de Peau. The base seems to have something of the sweet woodiness of Coco and curiously i also smell a floral element too, the usual jasmine accord they like to use in modern chypre creations. Not original, but a interesting combination.

Baloma
Salted Caramel Vanilla Popcorn (And Sandalwood)
There's a current vogue in the culinary world for mixing sweet and savoury to produce delectable new flavours. (North Africans have been doing this for centuries). Now Shay & Blue have translated this to tremendous effect by creating Salt Caramel.

This fragrance starts off with a mouthwateringly syrupy toffee popcorn accord that slowly becomes ever more irresistible as the tonka bean note joins the fiesta. The savoury sweetness (or sweet savouriness) continues unabated through to the fragrant, elegant sandalwood base. Gorgeous.

This is a sophisticated gourmand. It is not so literal as to be a food smell. Rather, it is a multilayered, meticulously-constructed perfume in the best French tradition (but with a British twist). It lasts a tremendously long time and projects admirably. I fancy it might also do wonders for layering with other fragrances. Perhaps a spray of this with Shay & Blue's Sicilian Limes? Lemon caramel tart anyone? Yes please!
7.5 3.0 10.0 7.0/10

Franfan20
The crashing sugar layer on a crème brûlée
Salt Caramel is one of the fragrances that smell of their name. Although I wouldn't explicitly speak of a distinct smell of salt, the notes go into a comparatively non-sweet direction for me. Meaning that Salt Caramel is a gourmand, but not really sweet. Not as sweet as I would describe sweet and not as sweet as various people say when they get a phantom pain in their mouth from a scent.
The scent has a restrained, pleasant smell which reflects the taste of caramel. The caramel scent mixes with woody components and tonka bean for me. This creates an impression of baking aroma, very nutty, in phases similar to flour. The salty character is expressed through an impression similar to pretzels while I was also simply thinking of fresh baked bread here and there. Above all these things, a thin caramel layer is pulled that crashes properly as if you would take a bite of it or stick a spoon into crème brûlée. Just as the advertising image suggests I imagine very thin, transparent sugar plates that you might as well install as stained-glass windows in cathedrals because of their brilliant colors.

The presentation of Shay & Blue is very similar to that of Jo Malone which is not surprising when one reads that the head of the house was a manager at Jo Malone for a long time. I like the blue color of the design very much. Should the other fragrances have roughly the same fine character like Salt Caramel, this would be a clear advantage for the brand. While the smell is not overbearing and space-filling, it lasts very long. While the scent of Salt Caramel doesn't really evolve on my skin, I think it's good that a scent with a theme like caramel isn't overly sweet because I do not like to eat caramel at all. But I like how the result of this fragrance smells. Luckily, fate meant well and I won this fragrance in the draw of Cafleurebon. So I finally know one of Shay & Blue's creations.

by Seejungfrau
by Dawg
by Gwiazdka72
by Gwiazdka72

Popular Shay & Blue

Salt Caramel by Shay & Blue Blood Oranges by Shay & Blue Framboise Noire by Shay & Blue Atropa Belladonna by Shay & Blue Oud Alif (Fragrance Concentrée) by Shay & Blue Dandelion Fig by Shay & Blue Sicilian Limes by Shay & Blue Blacks Club Leather by Shay & Blue Blueberry Musk by Shay & Blue Suffolk Lavender by Shay & Blue White Peaches by Shay & Blue Watermelons by Shay & Blue Black Tulip by Shay & Blue Amber Rose (Eau de Parfum) by Shay & Blue Scarlet Lily by Shay & Blue Almond Cucumber by Shay & Blue Amber Oud Ahad by Shay & Blue English Cherry Blossom by Shay & Blue Kings Wood by Shay & Blue Parfum Nashwa by Shay & Blue