Eau de Campagne Country Water 1976

Eau de Campagne / Country Water by Sisley
Bottle Design Jean Desprez
Eau de Campagne is a perfume by Sisley for women and men and was released in 1976. The scent is green-fresh. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesBasilBasil
BergamotBergamot
GalbanumGalbanum
Wild grass
LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesGeraniumGeranium
JasmineJasmine
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
PlumPlum
Tomato leafTomato leaf
Base Notes Base NotesOakmossOakmoss
MuskMusk
PatchouliPatchouli
VetiverVetiver

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.11.2021.

Summer Meadow
The publication date 1976 is very interesting. At that time I was 18 and worked in the summer in a hotel high at 1,008m. And I tell you, the summer meadows there have smelled the same.

So the scent of this Sisley had me immediately, I smell summer, meadow, grass, flowers, freedom, youth, a little herbal.
I will definitely order this fragrance, because I got hold of a bottling of this too - Thank you for this great, timeless, green scent.

We all know that smells evoke memories, whether good or bad, that is different
Here they were just really good ones, so I have a great summer feeling when I smell this.
The designation green and fresh is absolutely right, the wild grasses and actually everything that is listed here in fragrance components are found. I am absolutely thrilled, even if the durability is not so good and re-spray at Sisley is unfortunately almost always necessary. So a somewhat more expensive pleasure. But no matter, one treats himself nothing else. :-)

And I have sworn to myself that I will buy this month once no fragrances - sigh
FvSpee
Milestone (already overgrown with green)
Sisley's 'Landwasser' is, for me, a significant standout fragrance that I think anyone interested in "exploring the fragrance universe" and anyone who likes green, fresh scents should have tried.

Eau de Campagne is an early work of the now highly famous perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena, a kind of olfactory Jeunehomme concert. In it, all the skill of the master is already apparent; indeed, I would say that I like this early style better than many later works. Thus it has been remarked, not without reason, that Country Water bears a certain kinship to, say, 'Un Jardin sur le Nil': But I find Eau de Campagne more rugged, bold, original and natural.

The brand, and indeed the fragrance as a product, used to be much more significant than it is today. You can guess how popular and commercially successful 'Eau de Campagne' once was by clicking through the pretty advertising images visible here on Parfumo. The fact that the perfume has become more of an insider tip today can be read very nicely in Serenissima's review. In any case, it's great that the fragrance hasn't been discontinued yet, even if it's no longer a real sales driver. One more reason to try the fragrance while it is still there!

In its striking, utterly distinctive, unique interpretation of the colour 'green', Eau de Campagne comes closest for me to Cacharel's Eden, released some 20 years later; that too a fascinating and utterly special fragrance (albeit more difficult). There are even certain similarities in fragrance character and note pyramid. There is a kindred spirit to these two "green brushed against the grain" waters! - Even if Eden is more like a suffocatingly sultry jungle full of poisonous plants and Eau de Campagne is more like a freshly mowed golf course framed by woods and vegetable fields after a long spring rain (well, I've never been to a golf course, but I'll take a chance on the picture).

Country Water is a mysterious, sophisticated, highly complex green scent with ever-surprising new nuances (and therefore, although it pretends to be so rustic-freshly simple, it's also infinitely far from a cologne). On the one hand, it has a dreamy, playful, almost escapist quality. On the other hand, it has a tart, subdued-matte, serious, almost sad side.

The green notes - probably primarily represented by galbanum, grasses and basil, as well as by the very special tomato leaf, which I'll get to in a moment - dominate the stage of this fragrance throughout, in which I perceive less a clear fragrance development than an ever-changing. A whole panopticon of floral, fruity, earthy and fresh notes creates but always new counterpoints, without even a moment to question the unity and straightness of the fragrance.

The fact that I really, really like the fragrance (and Mrs. von Spee as well) may also be due to the fact that it contains a good shot of lily of the valley (we both love that) and probably also a hefty dose of the (rather unpopular with many) tomato leaf. I like its characteristic note and must therefore sometimes think with this fragrance here also of Lacostes Essential, in my opinion a blatantly underrated fragrance, in which this note is strongly pronounced.

But even setting aside those two particular preferences: Sisley's Eau de Camapagne is a magnificently composed fragrance and truly a landmark!
"We'll just afford him!"
This statement shows that the d'Ornano family, which is completely behind the name Sisley, knows that "Eau de Campagne" is not the big hit in the fragrance world.
Despite its creator Jean-Claude Ellena, it is and remains rather a lover's piece in the now nevertheless quite rich fragrance assortment of the company.

A lover's piece, which reminds both - Hubert and Isabelle d'Ornano - of their homeland Poland.

It reminds them of their early childhood years back home: of vast sunny yellow fields of grain, smells of gardens and meadows where horses grazed - that was summer.
And winter, too, with snow-covered tundras and muddy, almost impassable country roads, lives in this fresh "Eau de Campagna" created in 1976, which even then could be worn by man and woman and throughout the day.
Hubert d'Ornano used to put a handkerchief sprinkled with this fragrance in his vest jacket every morning.
This is probably the most personal fragrance recommendation.

The gardens, the wide meadows leave their first scent traces in this fragrance composition.
Grasses, which are allowed to grow wild in meadows and the slightly peppery spice of basil accompany fragrantly to the bergamot and lemon trees: their fruits are ripe for harvesting and accordingly aromatic is the shade under them, where a basket of ripe, sweet-juicy plums has been placed.
A touch of galbanum resin supports the light fragrance of the peaceful summer expanse.
The flower garden, where lily of the valley and jasmine exude their signature white-flower scents, is bordered by a low hedge of rose geraniums.
Their tart, spicy fragrance provides a direct link to the strong aroma of the numerous tomato plants.
All of us know the surge of scent with which tomato leaves defend themselves against unwanted touches.
It must have annoyed them someone very much, because their strict scent swath dominate for a while.
For the base, the classic fragrance quartet was also used here.
The earthy notes of vetiver and patchouli meet the as always somewhat stubborn oakmoss.
A dark scent of fertile earth makes its way in before a soft white musk blanket settles over everything.
(Perhaps a scent impression of the freshly fallen snow covering the ground)

Really quite a fancy green freshener due to the strong tomato note, which lives in a slim glass bottle specially designed for "Eau de Campagna".
For the label, given to this fragrance by Isabelle d'Ornano herself, she resorted to the ex-libris of her Polish family.
This is typical of this family, which takes care of everything: right down to the advertising photos, for which she herself, daughters or even nieces pose.
For "Eau de Campagna", of course, it was the whole family dressed in Tweet with their horses in the middle of the green.
"Why wander far and wide ..." is another motto that is taken to heart in the house of Sisley.

I got to know "Eau de Campagna" in the middle of high summer; a daughter of my friend is friends with one of the make-up artists of this brand and therefore I am always quite well supplied.
And I quite liked it, as fresh and green as it was around me; it's just that the final jumble of fragrance notes that developed over time irritated me too.
It feels like Monsieur Ellena shook up the base notes once, and they were still trying to find their respective places in this creation.
"Eau de Campagna" was only intended by me as a transit guest anyway; it was allowed to travel on to Gelis unwept.

"An aristocratic fragrance!" the still enchanting doyenne of the house calls it.
"We just afford him. Because we love it."
It is, after all, the first of the Sisley fragrances.

Classical Beauty
A countryside green with poise, rather like Vacances before it.
Eau de Campagne is infused with bright citrus sunshine, wild flowers and late summer hay.
It also has an abstract side with anisic and fizzy notes which anticipate Azzaro pour Homme.
With this, his debut work, Jean-Claude Ellena issued from nowhere. Already a mature artist, he sprung – as it were - fully formed, like Athena from the head of Zeus.
Gfk
Do you want to smell like vegetables? - Not a bean!
One day in a perfumery I trust - once again looking for a classic, rather discreet fragrance. "Try this one!" - A spray on my wrist - FLASHBACK!
I'm 35 years younger. Visiting the family of my friend Fabrice in France. We're heading for the Atlantic, passing his grandmother on the way. And that grandmother is a picture book grandmother. Old, a bit wrinkled, small, incredibly happy, you just have to love her. She lives in a small house with a garden, and in this garden is a greenhouse. The task for Fabrice and me: collecting beans for dinner. So we plunge into this paradise of self-grown delicacies.
And into this universe the scent beams me. I actually smell fresh green beans! Some readers will now think I'm crazy if I give such a high rating to a bean-scented scent, probably with good reason. But the scent continues to evolve. It becomes more complex and much rounder and develops a special class. It retains a unique freshness.
Eau de Campagne - the name says it all, and the fragrance masterfully delivers what the name promises.
For me, a fresh (and yet classic!) summer scent, but completely different from the popular Nerolis or Aquatics, which are usually credited with summer freshness. Unique. Meanwhile one of my favourites.
Testing!
in late summer
Yesterday autumn was already knocking discreetly on the door, and today I pulled the soft leather jacket out of the closet as a precaution.

The sun was carefully shining out of the clouds and I felt well prepared for the weather.
But suddenly the sky ripped open and il sole did her best.
We could no longer speak of autumn - rather of a committed late summer day.

A weather for us - Indian summer, the girlfriend joked.

So I dragged myself overdressed to the fragrance stand, and bravely grabbed Campagne.
Cologne-like herb - fresh it blows around me - just right for my heated condition.

A men's fragrance?
No, a lady's scent - informs me the nice salesgirl.
We were both right, because Campagne is quite unisex.

Light lemon blends with green grasses and invigorates the senses.
The tomato leaf shines through aromatically and the flowery parts are soft.
Oak moss and patchouli, fortified by vetiver, provide a bitter taste without bitterness.
Nevertheless, Campagne remains light and transparent.

In the summer this Eau will also have its appearance, but it fits for me perfectly in the late summer, and also in the autumn
Fittleworth
Smells like Trudchen's gooseberry pie!
Well, who do you see?
Today with offspring untawejens?
Take a seat, Mr. Jeheimrat, and put the filius in it, we'll just do it It's not like Korianke doesn't have two hairstyles...

What's that supposed to mean?
Like imma? Fassongk? Shave jefällich?
Aba jern, aba jleich ...

And the Junjoor? Dit Jleiche? So until the shave, it takes another one, two years, think to me ...
Yes, junga man, for you can come to the olln corianke, for I'll make you that as dead as I made your chin like Papa's.
Jeb ick you my word. Korianke always at your service!

If Mr Jeheimrat jestatten - nu bin ick aba really almost jerührt with eene Träne int Knopploch, dit you eene Familjentraditzjohn from the visit to my kleen Salongk make ...

A popo Traditzjohn ...
Käffchen...? Cream...? Zucka?
Aba jern, aba jleich ...

Un for the Junjoor? Chocolate choc-choc? Yes...? Aba, clear my head! Well, then can et ja losjehn ... where is nu wieda then the scissors? Laach doch jrade still here ...
Oh, there you are.

First take ick me ma Mr. Jeheimrat before, if I jestatten, because you can see ttaher, how ick your Filijus schnieke make.

I've been thinking to myself, corianche, I've been thinking to myself, to this serious hairdressing trade, but the art of being there for the customers and always so, that the former clientele is very satisfied Dit jehört just like that.
A popo jehört, dit sieht ja ein blinda Frisöhr mitn Krückstock, dit die junge Mann da zu Herrn Jeheimrat jehört. Clearly, he has jeerbt Mr. Jeheimrats prominent Karackterkopp, if ick may allow me the remark ...

Where was ick...?
Oh, so, sniff up an art.
As Mr. Jeheimrat knows, the noble art of barbers has already become a part of it, to delight our former customers with good smells.
Man is a man who is afflicted with numerous senses and gifted with Weesn. And the sense of Jeruch is eena of the most important ones.
Without Jeruchssinn could be nüscht taste, and dit would be terrible!
Could Mr. Jeheimrat imagine that without Jeruchy's sense, he wouldn't be able to taste the Jeringstepp of Trudchen's gooseberry cake? So ick won't paint me dit lieba.

A popo ... Trudchen just got back this morning, didn't she? May you and your Junjoor open a piece to the public ...?

Sehnse, dit ist wat richtich Jutet. Yes, I am sure you would agree that your self-confidence is very much appreciated, but what you can find out about the clay remedy business of son Koofmich ...

What do you mean, junga man?
Na dit pleased me aba! For long still to, kiek ma, ick do you still pieces uffn Tella ... no, no, no, it's that!

Aba ick please you, Mr. Jeheimrat, if you like the Filijus, because you should eat it. Jloomse me, Trudchen would be delighted, if you would see Spörßlingk spattling!

How do you like ...??
Yeah, it's an aroma, isn't it? Janz of course un anjenehm.
Not too sweet ...

Dit brings me an idea. I've heard of my swash swash brother-in-law, but Flakongk is a good swashbuckler.
If a Momang is to be tolerated, Mr. Jeheimrat, ick am jleich wieda with you ...

Well, there's some jute pieces, though.
Yeah, well, that's what Classical, Frenchet is. Parlewuh frankzeeh as et so beautifully hot.
Green etiquette, and it smells like this Jebräu ooch.

Ohde Kampannje hamset benamst. Heeze as ville as water from uffn land ...

Oh, the Junjoor...? Aba, check it out, ick can get you ma einpüstan. Kiek, Mr. Daddy smells so nice when he comes from the olln corianche? # And now you want to go # #
The child can jeholfn wern.
If Mr. Jeheimrat jestatten ...??

So, dit jeht los with so bißken Kräuta, ehmt in the Jarten waxe meadow. Can you sniff out...? Yeah, that's the best right thing, dit is Brasilijum.
With ville lemon, janz jenau. This other stuff, whatever it is, is berjamot.
Dad has already explained to you what dit is...?
Well you put your Filijus aba jut and timely inne trace, Mr. Jeheimrat!
Schappoh!

Where was ick...?
Oh so, Berjamotte ...
You see, in the heart note, as we perfume-educated experts call it, there is also this or that flower. I couldn't tell what this is all about. If Jassmiehn is to be, eena jeflüstat, who must know et cen, has brought me. And Maijlöckchen shall still ring the bell.
Laughing, the Junjoor ...

What do you think, Mr. Jeheimrat?
So eat!
Jarten fragrance! Aba holla the wood fairy!
The most common way is to snip the tomato leaf into the Jebräu ooch. And that makes this watering so green and fresh, that everyone thinks nu stehta mittenmang int Jrüne un hat ne rake inne Hand.
Tomato leaf, so ick would never be there in clay druff jekomm ... aba ick think it's wonderful! How dit smells!

Yeah, but the junjoor's got his eye on it too, I see.
Green, garden, sun, trees ... man can let his soul dangle.
Wenna eene hat.

Dit Bittre...? This stuff is called oakmoss. Yes, yes, that's what it is. Grows on the boom and becomes there jeflückt and then ejekwetscht un imma rin in dit Parföngk.

Richtich, my boy. To a garden belongs yoke yoke vegetables, aba yoke yoke fruit. And trees and bushes. Like my gooseberry bushes.
I got it with the gooseberries ...

As you like, Mr. Jeheimrat?
Aba sicha! To a young boy in a garden a little coffee and a big piece of cake. Oda ooch zwee ... un for mir darf et jerne Gooseberrykuchn sein.
Yeah, to Trudchen's gooseberry pie keena nee.

We would like to offer you a young haircut - please keep still for a short time, because you can take off your styling bib - but you can also get a fine and classic fragrance for the gentleman of the world.
There must be Fohrbilt for the young Jeneratzjoon!
She's supposed to be educated... un dit jeht nu ma nicht ohne Fohrbilt.

Sehnse, un dit watererken here is in the Jrunde the same fragrance as Trudchen's gooseberry cake.
Een righttija classics!
Sehnse, there the young Jeneratzjoon nods, because I did not only learn what to do, but also leckken Kuchn verkasematuckelt bite.

And so that it may not break all its order, the Lord will still be Papa but one more time. What about it, junga man?
Da issa bejeistat ...

So, Mr. Jeheimrat, nochn Spritzerken uff dit andre Handjelenk?
Aba jern, aba jleich ...

Jenießense ma dit frische Jrün von die Kräutas, ick judge as long as your Filijus die Koaffüre.
If in the meantime you still need to eat more pieces of cake ...?
Yeah, he's aba ooch lecka.
Thank you, you'll get a message from Trudchen, she'll be a friend ...

So, look, nu hamwa in no time at all, but the Junjoor like a Frisuhr hinjezaubat, ditta wien man looks.
Janz like Father ...

Aba jewiß, Mr. Jeheimrat. How imma are your coaffle and dit fragrances a fragrant Angkzambel.
Since jeb ick you my word druff, so true ick Korianke heeße!

Most binding thanks, Mr. Jeheimrat!
Hourn me soon wieda!
Bringse ruhiche ooch nächstet times the Filijus with, damitta not vawildat around Kopp ...

And greetings to Mrs. Yemahlte!

Green, Green, Green!
This is another Jean-Claude Ellena creation I love. It's classed as a floral chypre, but it is a very green one. It opens with citrus and galbanum, very sharp and right on the verge of bitter especially as the tomato leaf appears. It turns a bit sweeter in the heart with jasmine and lily of the valley, basil keeps it green. The patchouli, vetiver and oakmoss give an elegant base. It's a grassy herbal fragrance, and you get the entire country meadow - grass, weeds, herbal vegetation and a whisper of wildflowers. I do wish it had better longevity, it lasts about 2 hours on me, however when I use the shower gel and body lotion with it I get 4 to 5.

Drseid
Ellena's Excellent Take On The Countryside...
Eau de Campagne opens with a gorgeous tomato leaf note supported by other herbal green notes evoking a fresh day out in the Spring countryside surrounded by vegetation. It is super fresh, and really pleasant smelling. The scent then turns slightly soapy clean, mixing with the now subdued tomato leaf creating the heart notes. The scent is relatively short lived (as you might expect from an Eau de Cologne), with minimal projection.

Eau de Campagne has got to be Jean-Claude Ellena's best work outside his masterpiece, Terre d'Hermès. Here, he shows his early skill in perfectly presenting the smell of a countryside meadow and it's associated gardens. It is a minimalist but impressive composition that rightly went a long way in putting him in the top tier of noses when it was first released. I wish the longevity was greater, the bottle more interesting and the price lower, but Eau de Campagne is a superb classic EdC that merits everyone give it a sniff, and certainly it is full bottle worthy. 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5.

by Undsoweiter
by Hermessenz
by LanaL
by LanaL

Popular Sisley

Eau du Soir by Sisley Soir de Lune by Sisley Izia by Sisley Soir d'Orient by Sisley Eau d'Ikar by Sisley Eau de Sisley 2 by Sisley Izia La Nuit by Sisley Eau Tropicale by Sisley Eau de Sisley 3 by Sisley Eau de Sisley 1 by Sisley Eau du Soir 2008 by Sisley Eau du Soir 2013 by Sisley Eau du Soir 2012 by Sisley Soir d'Orient Wild Edition by Sisley Soir de Lune Edition Prestige Noël 2009 by Sisley Eau du Soir 2014 by Sisley Soir d'Orient Wild Gold Edition by Sisley Eau du Soir 2021 by Sisley Eau du Soir 2018 by Sisley Izia Limited Edition 2018 by Sisley