Eau du Soir (1990)

Eau du Soir by Sisley
Bottle Design: Bronislaw Krzysztof

Eau du Soir is a popular perfume by Sisley for women and was released in 1990. The scent is chypre-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Jeannine Mongin

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit, Mandarin
Heart Notes Heart NotesOakmoss, Lilac, Carnation, Iris, Jasmine, Labdanum, Lily-of-the-valley, Patchouli, Pepper, Rose, Juniper, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Musk

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 28.08.2019

10.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

Summer nightout
This perfume is one of my favourite a to nightout durin the summer. It is a floral chypre with an incredible longevity and a quité good sillage. I find this perfume totally unisex and It happens something weird ti me with It... I find It more suitable to mature ladies than to Young Girls... But i find It perfect and very sexy un Young men. I recommend to men try It on their skin... It world even better than un the femenine one!!
8.0 6.0 6.0 8.0/10

Something's wrong here...more
About 10 years ago my brother gave me a gift certificate from a local perfumery for my birthday. The first selection fell on a smell of diesel. Luckily, I had him sprayed on my arm. Already after 10 minutes after the purchase it was clear that the scent was nothing for me. So you go back to the perfumery and return it or exchange it. But what did I want? A fragrance with as many natural essences as possible, no synthetic fragrance. So Eau du Soir was held up to my nose and I was thrilled...in the beginning. I took it with me, I use it. A nice chypre, but somehow I couldn't really make friends with him. He was kind of too "old-fashioned" for me, "Omaha-like."
Four years ago I auctioned it on a well-known platform and forgot about it.
Chypres are just too old-fashioned for me... I thought at that time!
Then came Parfumo. All fragrances have been tested. "Sweet scents" were quickly not mine except for a few exceptions. I liked this once, then that again, but somehow, I didn't really get there.
Again and again I notice that the scents from my youth had left a lasting impression. The great "Rochas" and lots of drugstore scents.
And at some point, after 1000 perfumes had been tested, I realized that there was a preference for chypres.
And so they moved in with me: "Madame Rochas", "Chanel No. 19.", "Calèche", "Scherrer" and so on.
And one was missing: "Eau du Soir".
Then he came, just before Christmas. Why had I given him away?
Well, then came the big disillusionment. A modern "Eau du Soir", same packaging, but unfortunately also apparently reformulated in recent years. Where'd that woozy, meaningful Eau du Soir go?
What I now have on my skin is a watery copy of a really great fragrance. Oh, if only I'd kept my "old" bottle.
He can still be remembered, but that's all. That's too bad
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

the "Grand Dame" of the fragrance world
Ladies seem to be a dying species.
When I hear how often men explain "My wife is a really good buddy; I don't need a lady", I ask myself when this change happened At the latest I became aware of this fact when a "very good friend" told me this sentence. The question, what did he want with me, I probably asked at that time too! He didn't understand them!
But only marginally.

Isabelle d'Ornano is a real lady. Not only herself descended from the Polish nobility, she also married Count Hubert d'Ornano. So the cultivated background is almost automatically given.
Her ladylike nature also reflects the company "Sisley" founded together with her husband.
Every fragrance that comes onto the market is tested in advance by and on her personally for years. Only when she feels him to be good will he be "let loose on humanity".
When "Izia" (Madame's nickname) realized that the time for her "heart project", a fragrance with her name (see here), was not yet ripe, she released "Eau du Soir" instead.

But also "Eau du Soir" has been published one or two years ago by her and tested at receptions and parties.
The men literally sucked in the scent, asked for the name and wanted to give it to their wives.
(Whether this is always the right way remains to be seen! Not all women are the same, and the idea of smelling like mothers-in-law, for example, is not so widespread either.)
Shortly after its release, "Eau du Soir" truly competed on the popularity scale with "Chanel N° 5".
However, the Countess got the best proof that the time was ripe for this fragrance worldwide, in America.
Before a late meeting she used the perfume; it unfolded opulently as usual!
In a full elevator, an American exclaimed spontaneously: "Who the hell, smells so well?"
Her response was quick and simple: "I!"
Thus, sales also seemed to be secured for the American market.
Because we all know that perfume is not only a small daily luxury, but also a commodity to be found, yes, partly even on the stock exchange Even here, the balance must therefore be as balanced as possible.

Also "Eau du Soir" was given to me by my friend Ilona, whose daughter Nici is a friend of "Sisley-Marco", a make-up artist employed there.
As with many fragrances of this company, I first have to get through the first, for me always somewhat "biting" phase. In the beginning I was very scared and put the flacon aside.
By now I know it's not just me!
So I was more persevering with this fragrance; there had to be something about the fact that it is so popular.

It's probably also the entry of grapefruit and mandarin that disturbed me a bit or even deterred me in the beginning.
Both scents together are a little bit too "bizzelig" for me, not to say too biting!
Once Eau du Soir and I get past this stage, we start to like each other.
Not innocent of this is the great beautiful flower garden into which I am now being kidnapped: Lilac, carnation and lily of the valley, to name only once the "foot people" there, prepare a great reception.
This melange alone is worth the patience of waiting.
When jasmine, iris and of course the "Queen Rose" are added, a summer garden becomes a world of lavish fragrance beauty. So generously these fragrances develop into a blooming whole. What a wonderful flower bouquet is offered here!
It becomes special, already now in the top note, by earthy heavy oak moss smell (which I like very much!), my special favourite Patchouli and the resinous spice of the Labdanum: a always somewhat unconventional journeyman. Zistrose is not everyone's taste!
But not enough: the dark green spiciness of the juniper (actually much too seldom represented in women's fragrances: or do I just not meet it?), sets very interesting accents, before Ylang-Ylang once again adds the vivid glow, which always reminds me of many little fireflies!
Even now, "Eau du Soir" is a wonderfully opulent fragrance.
But amber and musk, very skillfully and tastefully dosed, perfect something that actually already seemed perfect!
(Both fragrances are an absolute "must" for the countess!)

"Eau du Soir" is a big, almost old-fashioned fragrance that only the nineties were able to produce in its perfection. At the very beginning of this decade, the splendour of the past was still reflected; many of us (including myself) mourn a little!
These big, opulent and elegant fragrances are missing in the current program, but felt something!

Sillage and durability are really "old-fashioned" too; an evening with "Eau du Soir" is completely filled with it. There's no need to re-spray, no need to fix anything.
Even danced through nights in crowded ballrooms this fragrance survives in still shining beauty.
One notices clearly: it was launched by a real lady!

It cannot be denied that both of us will have "entry difficulties" again and again.
However, this does not diminish the brilliance of the fully developed fragrance.
I am completely honest: I would not have bought this fragrance if it had not fluttered into my house as a gift.
Now we both live together and there are always evenings when "Eau du Soir" is a nice companion for me.
Then also with me once again the feeling "to be completely woman" comes to the fore!
So "Welcome to my life!"
8.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Grande soirée
I imagine to wear this rich and very luxuous scent before the Opera or at a Gran Gala, with a long black dress.
Talking about the notes,the opening is citrusy and apparently bright, but immediately the musky-floral-spicy heart reveals its power and give the nocturne character to this opulent scent.
A really wonderful fragrance which conquired me.
The bottle too seems a sculpture and could justify the high price of this fragrance .
9.0/10

Not Since Mitsouko
Not since Mitsouko have I found a chypre this entrancing. The crisp citrus top note rides above the enthralling heart of oakmoss, labdanum, classy florals and wood. Juniper adds a refreshing green note. Ambergris and musk rock the base. I'm going to do a chypre sniff-fest to teach my nose this genre, but I'll probably own an Eau du Soir FB before it starts. How Sisley managed this current formulation with all the restrictions I don't know, but it's a great success. Longevity is adequate.
5.0 7.5 10.0 9.0/10

Flore
Eau de Soir a beautiful chypre
Eau de soir; This floral chypre is full and intense and chic. There are precious woods in processed. This smell goes from green to mossig. The pepper and Juniper give it a tantalizing note. Meanwhile, this fragrance is already a classic. You should be keeping these lovely smell pathouli. This fragrance I have 1 x time layered with Diorissimo (eau de parfum). Great.... It is a long-lasting scent and you smell the whole day.
10.0 7.5 7.5 8.0/10

A Wonderful Floral/Chypre
One of the best floral/herbal/chypre I have ever smelled. Deep, dark and lush. The note evolvement feels like you keep falling down the rabbit hole that is lined with black velvet. Smooth, soft, yet impressive.
Eau Du Soir has a vintage vibe that needs a character that is not afraid to carry this scent aura. It's a power house of rich notes and might be too much for some people. I love this for date nights and special occasions because it smells expensive and opulent yet has also cuddly moments.

The beauty of the bottle is all in the cap. It's a wonderful women's head that is gold plated. A thing of beauty on your vanity that is --to me-- also a piece of art. *Well, for those prices.... ; )*

Try on skin before purchase, this one reacts strongly to body chemistry!

Silage is: "an aura of sophistication & class" -- Longevity is: 7+ hours, and (on me) the notes seem to get more 'oomph!' as time goes by due to body heat.

dazzling green chypre
One of the shinier green chypres. Heavier on the bergamot part of the chypre equation than the moss, Eau du Soir simply dazzles in the top notes. It stays true to its first impression, though, and remains brilliant through the heartnotes. By this point, most green chypres are either heading toward leather or a dusky sort of glow. EdS manages to shine yet keep its complexity. There's a dry floral quality that smells a bit like gin. It's searing, sharp, gorgeous. Here is where EdS balances the green chypre family resemblance and its own distinctiveness.

I've read that people find this somewhere in the powerful-to-overpowering range in terms of both broadcast and tenacity. Maybe so, but this is one of those potent fragrances that begs to be worn brashly.

Hideous bottle, but don't let that stop you.

Catarina 60 days ago
It's just so classy! Magnificent Chypre scent with one of the best moss notes of the industry. It's a remarkable complete perfume!+3
Emorandeira 60 days ago
An unisex perfume that i prefer smell on men even when It is supposed to be tagged for women. One of the best green Woody chypres i know.
Carlitos01 17 months ago
Classy sexy femenine fragrance. It lasts for ever and transfers its scent to the clothes and wardrobe. It has a 10 feet sillage at its peak.+7

by EauMySoul
by Sherapop
by IIespresso
by IIespresso

Popular Sisley

Eau du Soir by Sisley Soir de Lune by Sisley Eau de Campagne / Country Water by Sisley Eau d'Ikar by Sisley Izia by Sisley Eau de Sisley 2 by Sisley Soir d'Orient by Sisley Eau Tropicale by Sisley Eau de Sisley 3 by Sisley Eau de Sisley 1 by Sisley Eau du Soir 2008 by Sisley Eau du Soir 2013 by Sisley Eau du Soir 2012 by Sisley Eau du Soir 2010 by Sisley Soir d'Orient Limited Edition by Sisley Eau du Soir 2014 by Sisley Eau du Soir 2018 by Sisley Izia Limited Edition 2018 by Sisley Soir de Lune Édition Limitée 2015 by Sisley Eau du Soir 2016 by Sisley