Maroussia 1992

Maroussia by Slava Zaïtsev
Maroussia is a perfume by Slava Zaïtsev for women and was released in 1992. The scent is oriental-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Orange blossom, Peach
Heart Notes Heart NotesHeliotrope, Iris, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Orchid, Rose, Tuberose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Benzoin, Musk, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Cedar, Civet

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 26.10.2020.

Other than expected
Normally I like oriental fragrances and the description of the fragrance pyramid sounds really good to me at first. So I tried the drugstore Maroussia and there was nothing sweet. It was extremely smoky. Maybe I tilted it or changed the recipe. I tried it several times to see if I could get a taste for it, both on the scent strip and on my skin. It sounded so great from the description that I wanted to buy it first. Fortunately I saved myself this bad buy. I even got a headache and some nausea was added to it. Probably it was better in former times. However, I had never smelled a perfume that could compare to it.
The vintage version...
... Thank God I still have stashed away in the dry cellar and she is: Wonderful!

Such a beautiful, warm, cuddly spicy, velvety scent. Totally inviting and also sensual, quite positively commented on me by some men.

A bit of incense and hippie, then again noble lady in silk robe, a few flowers and something minimal fresh. Oh, so beautiful!
Always reminds me of my Gothic/Metal - youth, because the good old Maroussia was my first "signature scent".

I don't like today's version by far, it lacks depth and facet, it also starts much too alcoholic - pungent, sillage is also much worse, also worse durability.

Well, there's a real sweetheart of the "ver-improved" - sad...
5.5
Wetterhex
A reminder of my teenage years
Oh, yes, the memory is still there, as if it was yesterday.
I must have been about 16 or 17 years old when this red bottle fell into my hands in a drugstore. It wasn't expensive, about 8 DM at that time.
I thought the bottle and the packaging were so pretty. Rich red and gold. Oriental-looking.
Fortunately, I tested it before My goodness, that was a strong smell Flowery, lush, sweet, pungent, all at once.
In vain I tried to wash off the scent. With every contact with water it got worse. I got a headache and towards evening I was really nauseous.
Since then, I've steered clear of Maroussia.

I lost track of him for a while. The other day I saw him, slightly changed, standing in a drugstore again. Bright red and gold. I could resist the temptation to test him again Maybe I'll be braver another time.
Wicked Maroussia
Late last night was the time.
Maroussia should now be tested for going out.
First sprayer,caramba,it goes off right away.... fruity,but it goes very deep.
How should I describe it.
Spicy,bewitching,oriental Have the feeling that all the flowers mix with warm woody scents.
When I arrived in the car, the scent surrounded me and stayed with me during the whole drive. when I arrived at the party, I met countless people who were happy to see me over a cookie And they stuck with me, always looking for closeness Conclusion: For the fact that the fragrance lasts quite long and follows a trail, it seems to be pleasant Even after over 15 hours, it still holds up a little.
But one thing is clear, he is a bit wicked, even if in a positive sense ;)

In The Heat Of The Morning
Quite possibly my favorite orange blossom based scent.

Tenacious, though with soft projection. Can last for up to 8 hours on my skin, albeit delicately, but I always apply three sprays per wrist to make it a little more noticeable.

Up close there's lots of amber and cinnamon in a rather biscuitty & edible way - subtly similar to almond biscotti. In the air, from a distance, this appears more powdery, fresh & floral.

The dominant orange blossom note is thankfully not too citrussy & certainly not overly fresh & sweet in a washing powder/fabric conditioner kind of way.
In the drydown the orange blossom is tapered by sweet amber/vanilla & smooth sandalwood.

As a couple of others elsewhere have noted, this shares some similarities with D&G's "red cap", but it's mostly alike in character/vibe. This is far, far softer and doesn't have the sharp, distinct coriander and basil notes that red cap boasts. So this could not replace red cap, by any means, but can be enjoyed thoroughly by fans of the latter - especially with this being so impressively purse-friendly.

This is a beautiful, feminine (womanly) creamy & woody orange blossom scent. I only wish it had more strength!

Is Too Much Ever Enough?
I'm ambivalent about this fragrance. I like the spiciness of this, and I love orientals, but there's something that makes me wonder if I do, or even should, like this. Is it possible for a fragrance to be slightly kitsch? Perhaps it's too charming and pleasant for its own good, and therefore too much of a good thing, but can too much ever be enough? I feel that way about a lot of fragrances though. I love and loathe anything over the top because my tastes are always changing. I wanted to try this because I've always been fascinated by Russia, and Eastern Europe in general, though I've never been lucky enough to travel there. The bottle is so pretty, and I'm sure I'll spray this from time to time. Perhaps this is waiting to grow on me and will become a favourite. Despite being torn about this, I'd buy other Slava Zeitsev fragrances because this is so interesting.

Seatonica
Russian lady wears damp fur coat and dusty corsage
It's her best coat, but it's musty and old fashioned. Pinned to the lapel is a dusty spray of rotting carnations and faded roses.

A scent for a Russian Winter
Maroussia is everything that I'd imagine a Russian perfume to smell like. With the country's harsh weather during Winter, I'd most certainly choose to wear this beautiful, warm oriental during those days and at the same time find its richness quite delectable.

Maroussia is an oriental fragrance through and through. It's a touch sweeter than what I expected with rather heavy ylang ylang and carnation accords and spicy, smokey hints of amber, benzoin and vanilla.

The overall result is a spicy and powdery mish mash of florals and woodsiness. It's difficult to pin-point any particular note in the pyramid, but the composition, despite being confusing at times, is blended beautifully and really appeals to my nose.

I have surprised myself in the last few days by finding that sometimes hidden gems can be found on the discount shelves where I least expected them to be. It goes to show that drugstore scents are not to be knocked without prior testing. Who knows what you could find!

Maroussia lasts for an incredibly long time on my skin. It's the kind of scent I'd like to cuddle up to when the seasons change and the snow begins to fall. It smells a lot more expensive than what it's worth and for that I recommend it whole-heartedly.

ChimidoroChimidoro 4 years ago
Possibly my favorite orange blossom based scent. Resinous, woody & creamy. Delectably sweet cinnamon, marzipan, orange blossom & sandalwood.

by Zora
by Stardust
by Sumi
by Sumi
by Sonnenblume
Agrunows Portrait einer unbekannten Bäuerin in russischer Tracht stammt aus dem Jahre 1784 und hängt in der Tetrakovskaja Galerija in Moskau.
Маруся - brandgefährlich!