Norne by Slumberhouse
Top 95 in Men's Perfume
Norne is a popular perfume by Slumberhouse for men and was released in 2012. The scent is resinous-woody. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Josh Lobb

Pine needle, Lichen, Fern, Moss, Hemlock, Frankincense

Submitted by Formicula, last update on 13.05.2021.

densely woven and mysterious
Densely woven it is, this fragrance!
That not only from the fated threads of the Norns; no, also from the manifold scents that make the forest floor thus created vibrate and tremble with every step.
One could almost assume that this fragrance creation was created like felt or loden by soaking and stamping, so homogeneous is the garment with which "Norne" surrounds us.
A scent path leads straight over this dense aromatic-scented soil, in which roots of trees, bushes and plants have been interwoven since time immemorial; the earth seems to be heavy with past and future. Wrapping itself in light soil mists for that reason, I'm sure, often.
Dense layers of withered, slowly decaying foliage and twigs cover secrets from the past, and so "Norne" leads along winding paths into a mysterious atmosphere of scent.

"Norne" is a fragrance you can get involved with if you are not afraid of the magic of nature and its depth.
Bright and light is nothing here; each fragrance ingredient brings its silver-grey and different green scent tones and so something quite extraordinary, densely woven is created.
The secret passage to a destination that is not yet revealed.
The already decomposed soil is thickly strewn with pine needles; they haven't been here long: they crunch underfoot, generously distributing their aromatic, resinous scents.
Lichens of varying shades of gray inhabit their chosen trees; some reach far up, betraying their age and endurance.
Wisps of them sometimes sway gently in the soft breeze, touching the faces of wanderers through this scented cosmos.
They do nothing; they only play a little with the few winds that so seldom reach so far into the depths of the forest.
Fern bushes so large that a small family of fairies can hide in them border the narrow trampled paths. In places their fronds are so long that they can almost build arcades, allowing passage and sojourn amidst them and their spicy green power in scent. All this in the subdued green twilight!
A variety of mosses with their tart, earthy smell have spread over long years; many different varieties of moss are there to accompany our path with their slightly dull exhalations.
(In our Botanical Garden there is a small enclosure specially devoted to moss. You go down a few steps in a roundel to be at eye level with it.
Who wants, can even pull for deposit a small magnifying glass from a machine, which he then returns at the cash desk. Thus this strange, partly nevertheless very fragile beauty of the moss opens itself in comfortable kind completely from the proximity.)
Thick cushions of moss here and there make our immersion in the magical depths of the forest more comfortable, cushioning our paths while smelling strong and peculiar! Now and then one is damp with moisture extracted from a little stream that hastened along; as we step on it the curtain of scent present is intensified by the faint dark green dampness.
There is rustling and rustling, rapid movement beside this narrow path: many small beings are on the move, some of whom may not live to see this evening. They will be new shares in another layer of the living scent-web when the time comes then. The spinning of the Norns and nature never ends!
A sense of living and dying is found in "Norse's" scent art: deep, rich tones and greens and browns that give off equally deep and rich scent aromas.
Incense suddenly opens up this yet mysterious darkness; as if all the creatures of this scented forest stepped back to reveal a clearing: a circular clearing, slightly misty and distinctly incense-infused! Magical and a little bit eerie!
For this incense navel of the forest reveals the bitter hemlock - by land and by sea: the two species take nothing from each other.
"Beware!" Whispers the mighty odoriferous creature here: smell only - by no means eat or drink!
Fortunately, we are in scent-land here; so the temptation should not be too great!

"Norne" is a fragrance creation full of dark depth; a weave of rich and damp greens and browns, in which a magic resonates, but which is never quite revealed to us.
For many hours this scent power settles on the skin, spreading proudly and engagingly.
Magical spells and secrets are whispered at this time, but not understood.
A strong fragrance, a powerful fragrance, a magical fragrance - all that is "Norne"!

A fragrance creature that may even bring myths to life from its weave.
I had hoped so much, after all, to meet the wood gnome on my way here - at last!
So far I waited in vain.
But now...
Isn't that a rustling back there?
Are the little glittering eyes between the leaves ...?

Orcs & Trolls
From Tolkien's "The Hobbit":
"Darkness falls upon Bilbo and the dwarves as they enter the bleak forest of Mirkwood. Strange eyes peer out at them from the trees. Soon, the group cannot tell night from day. Everyone can think only of getting out of the stuffy, ominous woods, but there seems to be no end in sight...
It was not long before they grew to hate the forest as heartily as they had hated the tunnels of the goblins, and it seemed to offer even less hope of any ending. But they had to go on and on, long after they were sick for a sight of the sun and of the sky, and longed for the feel of wind on their faces. There was no movement of air down under the forest-roof, and it was everlastingly still and dark and stuffy. Even the dwarves felt it, who were used to tunnelling, and lived at times for long whiles without the light of the sun; but the hobbit, who liked holes to make a house in but not to spend summer days in, felt he was being slowly suffocated...
The nights were the worst. It then became pitch-dark ― not what you call pitch-dark, but really pitch; so black that you really could see nothing. Bilbo tried flapping his hand in front of his nose, but he could not see it at all..."

There is a strange beauty in a gloomy forest. The air is humid, fresh, mossy, thick and sometimes fetid. Norne emcompasses all this feelings in a scent so profound and thick that aims also your taste and thoughts besides your nose. An enchanted forest is not only trees and green, It's a complete atmosphere. Either you get it in a scent or you don't. Norne has it!
Oregon born Josh Lobb - Norne perfumist - is an all-natural perfumer. Along with another innovative perfumist, the portuguese Miguel Matos, they are two of a kind, using strong concentrations and exploring new ways of making fragrances and mixing scents.
Norne is an incredibly dark green, godforsaken, lugubrious atmospheric scent that conjures up a vast imaginary in my mind:
- dark cellars and caves where besides cobwebs and dampness, you may find treasures and old red wines;
- wandering bears, rogue wolves and vast loging territories with owls, bats, snakes and spiders;
- and a dark imaginary world straight out of Tolkien’s works where men, hobbits, elves and dwarves battle goblins and orcs amidst a greenish filthy darkness.

Inside the Norne bottle, licken, fern and moss grow over tons of pine needles and fir branches, while a deep dark olibanum resin ties everything together is a linear development. A touch of hemlock (yes... poisoning cicuta!) is used for a decay musty accord adding depth and intrigue to the perfume. It seems simple like any other artwork. But it's unique and so very evocative.
The performance is impressive. However, you cannot use the same amount of puff that you use with other perfumes. One or two sprays will be enough to give you 8 or 9 hours of longevity, as well as an 8 foot sillage radius. It also projects a lot in the first 3 hours. So be moderate on the trigger so people can tolerate you.

My clean and crisp ratings for Norne:
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Linear scent x 2: 9.0 (It deserves a ten as scent art work, but I must also remember that it is intended to please the olfact of those around you)
- Longevity: 9.5 (Up to 8~9 hours with just 1 sprays; a small doses is better)
- Sillage: 8.5 (Up to 5~6 feet with 1 spray; it projects for 3.0 hours)
- Uniqueness: 9.5 (Very unique but It does remind me "La Fille en Aiguilles" by Serge Lutens, although a lot denser and heavier)
- Usability: 7.0 (Winter for the cold weather and Fall for the season type itself)
- Versatility: 6.0 (It pleases you, and people liking deep green scents like it as well)
- Compliments: 5.0 (You will intrigue people. You don't get compliments out of it)
- Quality: 10.0 (Top quality ingredients)
- Presentation: 8.0 (Simple and effective)
- Price: 5.0 (30 ml / 180 USD... pricey; it is niche and unique)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 7.87 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 = above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recommended;
- greater than 9 = do not miss;

Recommendation: This is perfume that cannot be rated by "usual" standards. It is a sheer love-hate fragrance, and believe me many people will hate it. Some like me just learn to love it and just a few people will love it straight away. So far I just imagine to use it by myself and I quite like it.
Blind buy? No, because of its . But if you happen to try it, you will most certainly love it.

Music: Rick Wakeman - "The Forest", included in "Journey to the Centre of the Earth"
Fate is everything
Lonely I fought my way through the wilderness of this land, as the only survivor of the Fallen Battle. The gods were supposed to bring us victory, but we were ambushed by the Saxons! Since we had not expected this and were rushing wildly towards the enemy, this was our downfall. I myself was wounded, dragged unobserved into the woods.

There it smelled for me strange and wonderful at the same time. The spruces intensively exhaled their ethereal and pleasant scent, which reached me together with the smoke clouds of resin. This melange was strangely calming, the animals of the forest were silent, the idyll was deceptive. I didn't know where I had gotten into, but this intensive smell, which caresses you, which wants to win you over with its woody-etheric aura...

As a spider builds its finely woven web, so I received the signals of the forest; the sticky dew of the spruce I perceived spicily and saw the sticky and viscous liquid on the bark of the firs already before me. I felt as if I could feel the pulsating moss on the trunks of the coniferous trees, as if I could perceive the moss in this way. There! A young fox cut through the ferns lining the path. So there were animals here after all, only no sounds to be heard.

More and more the pictures blurred before my eyes. A dark premonition killed me and so I looked at the plant, which I touched unintentionally when I fell once at the beginning of the forest and partly absorbed in me in an unexplainable moment. It was the hemlock...something suddenly tore me out of my trance and I looked towards the clearing.

Now I saw her clearly, the female being responsible for all this. A being where there was no escape, the gods already knew that. I had escaped the battle, but not my destiny. So she stood before me as one of the three sisters; destiny is everything; now she moved: the Norn.
Explanatory if the scent has not become clear: Norne is very intense and woody in a way that is unparalleled. Here, you don't necessarily feel like you're on a journey through woods, here you feel more like you're part of the woods. The wood smells like freshly cut or as if it was cut in single wounded places and is very well carried by the incense. This provides the wood with a glowing olfactory background and you can well imagine how the spruces release their honeydew or the insects responsible for it. Dark brown and tough, it is symbolic of the imaginary colour of norne. The moss is the reason why the fragrance does not lose its balance. It is very intense, durability and even more sillage are incredibly strong. Here Norne walks on a narrow ridge, but thanks to the calming moss it doesn't lose its balance. Probably some perfumes will be disturbed by an intensely pungent undertone, which is difficult to describe for me and maybe has its origin in the crushed hemlock.
Floyd
At the roots of the world ash tree
By the Phaidon, the hemlock, it must have been the spotted hemlock that had hit me like a curare arrow, paralyzing my steps as if I had been sitting in the laburnum and eating too many betel nuts. Now lichens and mosses made their way through the room in time lapse, let ferns sprout in the shade of gigantic pines, everything was warm, moist jungle soil, soft and dark green iridescent and rotten in the ethereal resinous breath of the needles of the colossal conifers. I remained on my hands and knees in amazement as the forest began to pass me by, the bitter-fresh mist of needles rolling over earthy mouldy mosses, projecting vague images of tree sap, iridescent emerald green and dark brown.
Soon the pines began to boil like forests after heavy rain, weaving softly like warm cotton wool threads of incense over the ground, sweetening the musty mosses like sugar, balsamic refining the essential needles. In the warm wafting wads of cotton wool at the roots of the world ash tree sat Urd, Verdandi and Skuld, the three Norns, spinning the fates of the worlds. Urd stood for the past, this forest and the access to the journey, Verdandi was here the present and the question what would become of it. In the black shadow of a dark hood lay the face of the future, the Skuld, when the last remnants of the Norns are used up, the entrance to the forest disappears. Thus the desire increases, drops become treasures, a strange bond begins, letters remain only to describe the forest, ... for Norne legend formation.

(With thanks to Mermaid and Verbena)
Norne, a rare orchid
As the headline says, the Norne is one of the rarest European orchids ever, unfortunately threatened with extinction.
What's that got to do with this smell, you might ask?!

Well, even this one is for one thing every now and then! Lucky are those who have got hold of it!

Why the association with this orchid?
It grows primarily in the boreal coniferous forest, which is primarily populated with spruce! Here it is a rare jewel, which outshines everything with its beauty, but still does not attract all eyes! You have to be careful & attentive!
But here she is the little star!
And as it is with the orchid, so it is with the fragrance!
The orchid shoots a small green leaf after the winter, covered under spruces! That's exactly how this fragrance starts! Coniferous wood, resinous, hemlock (fungus) I do not hear, but what great resinous, natural! At some point the orchid develops a bud & the scent develops something more sweet, delicate, slightly sweetish!

Here the fragrance is almost suitable for everyday use, a little tame. The aspect of all pleases everyone! The point where the orchid starts to bloom! Yes, she is pink & still masculine! (Not that I consider color genderbending), but not cottoncandypink!

The Slumberhouse DNA is present! A wonderful scent, which may be a little daunting at first, or makes it seem inconspicuous, like the single leaf of the norne! But then!!!!

People who have it, cherish it!!!

The Best Slumberhouse!
Oh, yes -- this does invoke memories as tdwctdwc states below. For me it is from my childhood in Ontario -- conifers, dank moss, smokey cottage. And yet, there is a slight freshness that lifts the wonderful blend to a happy but still cozy place that makes me smile. Seriously considering a full bottle.

Inky Green
I was pleased to receive a sample of Norne in a purchase I made some time ago. I would never have actively sought this fragrance out but I am really happy that I've had the opportunity of sampling it … it smells like an Enchanted Forest!

The sample I have proclaims this fragrance as being Unisex, but it leans well toward the masculine end of the spectrum for me. This is probably due to inherent memories of flipping through magazines in the 70's and 80's and being bombarded with images of ruggedly handsome men in cable knit sweaters advertising frags like Pino Sylvestre and Agua Brava. Pine forests (think lumberjacks) and hiking in the Alps are traditionally masculine pursuits, so while this fragrance conjures these images I can't help flights of Elven fancy (a la Legolas of the Woodland Realm) while smelling this concoction.
There is absolutely no doubt that this fragrance is beautiful … it just occupies a niche within a niche of the fragrance world. Pine, unfortunately, comes coupled with images of not-so-clean taxi cabs and bathroom disinfectant … thankfully Norne is so beautifully blended that these ideas are never reached. I first thought that the glass containing this frag was black. To my surprise, as I emptied half the contents to the back of my left hand it became clear (or so to speak)! When held up to the light, Norne is a deep, inky green … reminiscent of what one would imagine the light to be like in a deep forest clearing.
A mentholated blast in the opening of green Pine needles is soon followed by muted, dark tones … reminiscent of wet undergrowth. The Moss in this fragrance is prevalent throughout and a definite, 'felled timber' feeling also. I have no idea what Hemlock smells like, but I think that the mention of this note is what inspires the idea of mystery here … like having Gandalf looking over one's shoulder :). As I draw my hand away from my nose I also get a faint touch of cannabis … probably from the combination of green stuff and resiny Frankincense.

I have been known to wear the odd coniferous scent in my fragrant past. Perhaps the time has come to re-visit these fumes. Be that as it may, Norne by Slumberhouse is a brilliant rendition of the coniferous genre … a 'must try' imho!

Update:

Dang and Blast!! Just a few hours in and Norne has me entranced under its intoxicating spell!! At £95 per 30ml my wallet just gave an involuntary groan … but on the upside I'm wearing the contents of what looks like a 1ml sample and filling my car with sillage, so it ought to last a while. One truly just needs a drop … this is definitely produced in true extrait formulation. It looks as if I will have to sample the other fragrant wares from Slumberhouse!!

Drseid
Forest Green Lovers Take Note...
Norne is very fine release from Slumberhouse. On me it is all about a deep, dark coniferous forest. It immediately gets down to business with its dark resinous fir, coupled with supporting notes of moss, nutmeg and clove spice. Definitely the resinous fir is the dominant accord to my nose. There really is not much in the way of development, with the scent staying pretty linear. That said, it accomplishes the artistic deep forest vision of the parfumier quite effectively, IMO, and is quite easy to wear. I think that Norne will primarily appeal to folks who enjoy coniferous scents like Polo and others, but want something with a distinctively different take on things that only a house with a personal touch like Slumberhouse can provide effectively.

Norne is created 100% from forest absolutes, so it is quite concentrated and requires only one spray to get the job done for most folks. It goes on almost oil-like with a very dark black color (so be careful with allowing it to dry a bit on your skin before putting on clothing, as stains can and will occur if used carelessly). Projection and longevity are both above average.

I definitely like Norne a lot, and bought a bottle after my positive experience sampling it. It is nice to see a small house offering superior scents with personal attention to creativity, value and customer service. Norne is an excellent release from an even better house, earning 4 stars out of 5.

BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 month ago
A deep dark pine forest, with a fire starting not far from here. So well-blended scent, resinous, spicy, relaxing and with great performance
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 months ago
A greenish filthy darkness. Licken, fern and moss grow over tons of pine needles and fir branches, all tied up by frankincense. Artwork!
MrFumejunkieMrFumejunkie 4 years ago
wearing norne feels like walking through a deep dark forest & being tightly hugged by a grizzly bear with anger management issues. At once.
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Gloomy balsamic resinous pine forest. It's hard to create somethig darker!

by HerrApunkt
by Dory
by Peyf
by Peyf

Popular Slumberhouse

Baque by Slumberhouse Kiste by Slumberhouse Ore by Slumberhouse Jeke by Slumberhouse New Sibet by Slumberhouse Rume by Slumberhouse Sådanne by Slumberhouse Brosse by Slumberhouse Pear + Olive by Slumberhouse Sova by Slumberhouse Grev by Slumberhouse Zahd by Slumberhouse Vikt by Slumberhouse Sixes & Sevens by Slumberhouse Eki by Slumberhouse Mare by Slumberhouse Lanz by Slumberhouse Fjerne by Slumberhouse Sana by Slumberhouse Kere by Slumberhouse