Zahd by Slumberhouse

Zahd is a popular limited perfume by Slumberhouse for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is gourmand-fruity. Projection and longevity are above-average. The production was apparently discontinued. Limited Edition

Josh Lobb

Top Notes Top NotesCranberry, Champaca flower, Benzoin, Plum, Pink lotus, Fir
Heart Notes Heart NotesCocoa, Tolu balm, Stoneseed, Wine ether, Mysore sandalwood, Cherry
Base Notes Base NotesFrankincense, Oak

Submitted by MiaTrost, last update on 14.10.2018.

2.5 5.0 5.0 5.0/10

Drseid
When Grape Bubblicious Meets Dark Chocolate Covered Cherries In A Fragrance, We Have A Problem...
Zahd opens with what can best be described as an artificial grape bubblegum accord before slowly transitioning to its early heart. During the early heart the artificial grape accord remains in the background, gradually giving way to a relatively sweet but also slightly tart fruity cherry and cranberry duo coupling with rich deep dark chocolate, supported by vague burnt woods. During the late dry-down the fruit remains though in diminished support to the now starring stark burnt woody incense that dominates the finish. Projection is average, as is longevity at 7-8 hours on skin.

Zahd was a highly sought out limited edition by Slumberhouse fans that I just could not bring myself to buy when offered, as the published notes did not appear to be to my liking. Now, after finally getting my hands on a sample of the stuff, my instincts were spot-on accurate. Despite my admiration for Josh Lobb and many Slumberhouse releases, I don't like Zahd one iota. The first bad sign was after initially applying it on skin my mind went immediately to Bubblicious Grape bubblegum with perhaps a slight red wine-like undertone. I liked chewing that gum as a kid plenty, but the smell was annoying back then, and it still is now decades later. Getting past the gum the composition turns more towards yet another candy, this time dark chocolate covered cherries, but these have a burnt woody undertone. Now, I *love* chocolate covered cherries, but I'll be darned if I want to smell like one! Come to think of it, Micallef already released a chocolate covered cherry fragrance, Avant-Garde, so the idea isn't even particularly novel. The late dry-down is probably the best thing Zahd has to offer, but it is nothing special and burnt woody incense has been done many times before in a better implementation. The bottom line is Josh Lobb is extremely talented, but the sold out limited edition Zahd while utilizing some high quality materials is just a weird gourmand offering that is a rare miss for Slumberhouse, earning a below average to average 2 to 2.5 stars out of 5. I am very glad I passed on this offering for sure!

WTF is this?
A huge, nearly choking blast of a balsamic, gigantic sweet Indian flowers and spicy syrup. This smells like someone has crammed a swirling Notting Hill carnival into a bottle. Loud music, burning coals, joss sticks in huge quantities, bubblegum, plastic flowers, cut open fruits piled high, and spicy Indian tamarind pudding treats, all rolled into one. There is a huge pinkness here like the vibe of a sickly flower akin to Ylang-Ylang and caramel popcorn. The sickly swirling monster of a smell feels like being unable to push through the heaving crowd of jangling joss sticks and fruity aromas all swirling at once, having eaten too many sweeties too soon. Then just as this almost becomes intolerable, a dusty and woody wind finally starts blowing through this sweet, sugary. cloying fruity concoction and not a moment too soon.

The softer wood suddenly releases the nose and Zahd starts to dry down to a more comfortable state. More akin to sitting in one of those Indian shops full of patchouli and saffron infused silks, jangling over-gilded ornaments, glittering fabrics of all colours, dried roses in bowls and musky Indian oils. Syrupy sweets are left out on the counter and the joss sticks are still burning to the end. Their ash falling fragrant, swirling into the sticky syrup that is still dripping off the edge. A softer, more creamy feel takes over, as if the whole perfume was fading gently into a dream as you settle amongst the vanilla, roses, saffron and sandalwood infused woods.

It totally reminds me of the sort of oils found in Carnaby street in the 1970's. Narcotic and sweet, made for teenage hippies. There was a shop in London called Ganesha and it smells just like that.

I didn't know what to make of this one so wrote down any thoughts that popped into my mind before looking anything up. It was sent as a sample to test. These are my thoughts just as they came to me.

Danieq
You'll never smell another like it
For me, the cranberry in this is so like a Christmas candle that it immediately brings a smile to my face. I'll be honest, I can't smell the Champaca at all. Instead, I find Zahd has the most incredible earthy, rooty, sort of nutty feeling. It is not a scent that projects in a loud way, but it does last and last. Everything about this scent is intoxicating, including the color and the stunning bottle. I'm tempted to hoard as I know it will never be produced again, but that would defeat the purpose. It's meant to allow the wearer to burrow herself/himself into its depths and breath deeply.
10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Berries in India
Champaca is that yellow flower used in temples in India. It's put all over sacred statues in ceremonies. They're woven into garlands for worshipers to wear. It is the dominant floral note in this perfume, along with pink lotus and it creates a mustily fragrant backdrop for the fruit -- cranberry and plum and cherry -- with Mysore sandalwood, frankincense and oak grounding the scent. First whiff and I thought: candied apple, cotton candy, but the sweetness dies down as the florals rise. Soon I don't smell individual notes, but a complex and wholly unique fragrance in the earthy, resinous Slumberhouse aesthetic. Wait longer and my nose doesn't want to leave my hand. I am in India in a temple. Incense is burning and there's a garland of flowers around my neck. I've just had a sip of wine and a bite of chocolate. For those open to new scent experience, this is an intoxicating perfume. I often layer it with Slumberhouse Jeke and, as I said on that review, to me the result "smells like the Garden of Eden when Eve and Adam first kissed." Kudos to Slumberhouse on its latest creation.

by RobK
by RobK
by Danieq
by Danieq

Popular Slumberhouse

Norne by Slumberhouse Kiste by Slumberhouse Jeke by Slumberhouse Ore by Slumberhouse Sådanne by Slumberhouse Pear + Olive by Slumberhouse Sova by Slumberhouse New Sibet by Slumberhouse Baque by Slumberhouse Rume by Slumberhouse Vikt by Slumberhouse Grev by Slumberhouse Brosse by Slumberhouse Zahd by Slumberhouse Sixes & Sevens by Slumberhouse Sana by Slumberhouse Eki by Slumberhouse Mare by Slumberhouse Lanz by Slumberhouse Flou by Slumberhouse