Black Gemstone by Stéphane Humbert Lucas

Black Gemstone is a popular perfume by Stéphane Humbert Lucas for men and was released in 2013. The scent is resinous-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCedarwood, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesResins, Myrrh
Base Notes Base NotesTeakwood, Tonka bean, Frankincense

Submitted by Avelus, last update on 28.03.2019

10.0 6.0 10.0 10.0/10

Dark, mysterious perfection

The dry down on this makes me want to eat my hand. No, it’s not gourmand or anything it just smells so good I almost want to cannibalize myself. When I first applied it, I wasn’t blown away. It has a bit of a camphorous, gasoline-like opening, and it drowns out the notes a bit and it smells like it’s going to be a typical dark oud-ish oriental. But it doesn’t actually have oud listed as a note but the combination of the woods used and the dark, resinous smokey aspect gives it an oud like feel in the opening. But it transitions away from that into this almost inky resinous incense and tonka. It has this sexy, mysterious, yet spiritual feel and it hovers closely to the skin, making it more personal experience. It has a similar vibe as Mortal Skin without the purple berries and the complexity. They do not smell the same but it has that dark inky quality. It’s not an overly complex smelling fragrance but it’s a perfect smelling fragrance. Just the right amount of everything and the dry down is a non stop wrist sniffer. Very long lasting although more of a skin scent after 4-5 hours. Unisex leaning masculine. High quality and rather natural, bordering on oily smelling.
10.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

DufterMann
The darkness I called... and grabbed me!
Foreword:
I was fascinated by Stéphane Humbert Lucas' creations and the "Harrods" with which I booted to the Schnitzler branch and asked for a similar fragrance. It didn't take long and the saleswoman stood in front of me with a golden bottle, sprayed it onto the test strip and after a short test phase on her skin, the "Une Nuit a Doha" went straight into the shopping bag and I walked home with a smile on my face. My interest was aroused, because it was already the second fragrance from Mr. Lucas, which I like so much. So I started looking for more samples and found what I was looking for at a big perfumery. I was allowed to choose 5 samples, of which the number 1 was equal to Black Gemstone.

History:
It is said that the perfumer named the scent after the black stone in Mecca. This so coveted stone, for which so many pilgrims come to Kabaa to touch or kiss it or its fragments, has this scent at least in my imagination very well hit.

The scent:
Sprayed on and what a dark, smoky, resin-soaked cloud that made itself comfortable in my nose. The Sillage at the beginning is breathtaking. Is something like that wearable in everyday life, I wondered?
The minutes went by and slowly a smoky marzipan-like note became noticeable, giving the whole thing a sweetish touch. But if you are expecting a gourmand, you are at the wrong address. The resinous sweetness surrounded by the smoke surrounds the wearer for a few hours before he surrenders more and more to the sweetness and the resins and slowly makes room for a creamy woody note.
The further he progresses in the process, the more lovable, brighter and cuddlier he becomes. The fragrance is not presented on a test strip and does not show its full potential in the first few minutes, but only reveals its heart to those who are willing to surrender to darkness and strong charisma. For this you are rewarded with a woody sweet, only minimally smoky base that is so deep and magical that I could bathe in it.
Nevertheless I needed several attempts, 5 times I tested it and I was sure that one filling would be enough, because I would have classified it rather as difficult to carry.
But then it happened - I shared my last few drops with 2 other perfume madmen and a splash got lost on my hand and the scent went straight back into my nose. I had fallen in love and I had to have him. Not as a filling, but directly as a bottle.
I have tested him meanwhile also in the everyday life and that did not come as feared with strange looks, but as reaction: Oh, he is good, I like him!

Nevertheless I would probably not wear it every day because of its opulent charisma. I also consider him to be suitable for unisex use, even if his mostly smoky and gloomy nature is more likely to appeal to men. In a review, a tester said that he would classify him as a "4 Seasons" perfume, which I can't leave standing in the room. It's heavy, dry and quite strong, only colder autumn days, winters and cooler spring days would come to my mind. You don't need a certain outfit for him. The scent speaks for itself. ;-)

Born Of Fire