Black Gemstone by Stéphane Humbert Lucas
Top 86 in Men's Perfume
Black Gemstone is a popular perfume by Stéphane Humbert Lucas for men and was released in 2013. The scent is resinous-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesCedarwood, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesResins, Myrrh
Base Notes Base NotesTeakwood, Tonka bean, Frankincense

Submitted by Avelus, last update on 25.11.2020.

DarkWinterCS
Dark shadows that haunt me
"By day, it's easy to keep things sober and unsentimental. At night, it's a very different story."

I'm only too happy to begin this comment with this quote from Ernest Hemingway, because this fragrance is one of the few that evoke more than just perfume euphoria in me. It is rather an experience, a self-reflection of darkness, a confrontation with the deepest fears and shadows of feelings. So black and yet bright, so dangerous and yet comfortable. Seldom have so many thoughts gone through my head as when I tested this extraordinary fragrance. At the first contact the fragrance conveys a threat that goes through your marrow in such a way, only to then lie as a gentle shadow on your skin and give you an understanding of security.

Since the fragrance triggers quite poetic and philosophical tendencies, I would like to describe it with a pictorial example that came directly to my mind. There will certainly be one or the other of us who has also immersed himself in the world of video games or grown up with it. In 2010 a game called "Alan Wake" was released, which puts you in the person of an author with writer's block and a rather questionable psyche. In his adventure he has to step through the darkest corners of his own self, the human psyche and malicious nightmares and find the salvation for his own mind, which is portrayed as a self-told psychological thriller. (I don't want to tell you more about it, because those who don't know it should definitely play it). Whoever has enjoyed this work will recognize the parallels. Because this oppressive darkness, the voices buzzing around you and creating a claustrophobic fear, can only be held back by a soft light.

The night begins fast and dark.

I hear clouds in the sky, which have not come into being naturally and which mean disaster. In my nose I notice smoke, one of the kind that can be described as threatening and of unnatural origin - all kinds of thoughts shoot into my head.
The source of the disaster is getting closer and closer, the smoke is getting more intense and inevitably triggers an oppressive threat - whispering voices in my ear. No one is in sight, I am alone.
Darkness around me has a different effect than in the realms known to me. You cannot see your hand in front of your eyes, yet I continue to walk through the absorbing black with doubts.

Rustling and crackling between the trees.

Suddenly the ground in front of me seems strangely loose. A closer look does not bode well. An abyss in which a black nothingness has formed demands me. I step back and try desperately to find something on the ground to hold on to.

I spend an hour already in the darkness and everything around me is screaming for me.

By a happy coincidence I bump my knee against a small object that turns out to be a flashlight. Slowly but surely I get a warm feeling, which gives me inner protection. My mood brightens up. Finally I find a bridge, which paves my way over the abyss. When I see the illuminated city, I am happy. Finally the worst is over.

Unnoticed, however, a grey smoking shadow has settled on my back, I do not see it, but I feel it. I go anyway and hope remains
I wake up and realize that it was all just a nightmare and I don't want to dive into it again. But it all felt so real. I try to stop thinking about it and I get up to finish myself. On the way to the bathroom I almost get a fright from the creaking of the wooden furniture. It's light, everything is fine. I stand in front of the mirror and try to ignore the dark circles under my eyes. How sleepless I feel. The mirror is not my best friend today. But when I dare to look in it I get scared.
On my neck, where I usually apply perfume, a fine veil of grey smoke seems to float.

My reality is blurring. Am I going crazy? Are stories about paranormal events not nonsense after all? What's happening to me? I feel like a victim of my own psyche. Is this reality or just a trick of my uncontrolled creativity? Dark is the depth of my own mind, which manifests itself in the face of fear and changes as a smoking shadow on my skin.

"Monsters are real and ghosts are real, too. They live in us and sometimes you win."
Stephen King

But now to this creation, which teaches even a shadow to fear it. The start is smoke and hardly anything else but this. A cloud that almost takes your breath away and so voluminously and intensely explores the limits. But that's what this perfume wants to take you to the limits and show you the abyss without taking the last step. In all my testing for perfume, I have never encountered such a heavy smoke. Even as a fan of a really peaty whisky I reach my pain threshold here. But one is saved by a slightly warming citrus note After an hour, the smoke subsides slightly, allowing some of the other notes to sprout, so that one can slowly hope to emerge from the shoals of the black menace. Warm and slightly sticky resins reveal themselves, giving you the breather you need. Woods and vanilla create a creamy unity and let the incense roll off. Myrrh is the note that accompanies the fragrance all the time. Just great. The fragrance also gives you a feeling, one of wearing a dark shadow on your skin, which could give people in the area a menacing feeling, but can be worn well.

But under this very oriental scent there is more than just a blender, which disappears after a short time. It accompanies you through the day with ease and projects just at the beginning as if from another star. Loosely 8 hours of durability are in here, even if he withdraws after half then something and reduces the sniffing circle. Although it does not play in a league of the equally priced Xerjoff fragrances (oud stars) in terms of durability and sillage, it still shows its value and dominance. More than any other fragrance, I consider it (along with slightly animalistic ones) a statement fragrance. It doesn't hide itself and gives you a full on twelve. Here I am and if you don't like it, then disappear.

A fragrance that will certainly split, but finds its lovers. For me, too, the smoke was quite crass at the beginning, but from time to time it becomes more sensual, better and more familiar. A great piece. Plus eunes, which reveals more than just alcohol with fragrances. So haunting, so expansive and present. A fragrance that forces you to look into your own soul.
Secret affair
The darkness of the night. Myrrh is a gum resin! Did you know that? I didn't know.

The upbeat is fierce. Intensely violent, violently different. Imagine a person jumps into a pool filled with liquid rubber. When he rises again, he smells the entrance to Black Gemstone. Where there is supposed to be a lemon is beyond me.

Black Gemstone then becomes softer by the minute, with tonka and incense in the base.

I don't know what to make of it. I mean, I volunteer to wear pure oud and get mocked as "stable master" by those around me. And this smell doesn't even stink. But rubber? I'm torn between 9 and 0.5 points for this smell. A dilemma I'm in for the first time. Objectively, it's definitely more of a 9-point smell. But whether I am attracted to or deterred by the special nature of rubber, I am not yet able to say. For me, the scent is like an affair, where you don't know yet if you want to leave your wife for her. I have to keep testing and wearing it.

In any case, Black Gemstone is the black hole of niche perfumery, the darkness, the mystery. Worth a try, anyway. Cheers
Medianus76
There is no light without darkness...
To see without shadow is like seeing no sun. Without darkness we would not find the light.
One way or another, I think the prelude to Black Gemstone would suit me. The molecular structure presents a deep black - dot!
If I look at black as a color and I had to imagine a fragrance, then this opening would certainly be a good choice
At the beginning of the fragrance pyramid, a black hole is created. The incense forms an olfactory tunnel, which at the beginning contains no brightness at all. By clever use of the scent molecules, however, it soon becomes possible to perceive a light at the end of the tunnel. This light is formed by a fresh lemon that shines through again and again and is rounded off by the presence of cedar wood. In the opening, these components complement each other harmoniously and in a regulating way. The lemon and the cedar wood on the one hand keep the incense in check so that it does not get the upper hand. But the incense as a counterpart keeps the fragrance uncompromisingly on the dark side.

If the fragrance would not undergo any further significant development at this point, it would certainly not be interesting for me, and I would not pay any further attention to it. The metamorphosis, which the fragrance undergoes in the further course, makes it to what it really is - a black gemstone!

Similar to a roller shutter, which you pull up slowly on a sunny day, the individual, darkly encrusted slats gradually come loose. The incoming daylight displaces the darkness and fills the room with a pleasant and pleasant warmth. Exactly this effect is the strength of Black Gemstone. More and more resins and myrrh take control, giving the fragrance a berry and sweetish component. The dark and smoky component recedes into the background, creating an overall picture of a smooth, sweet, resinous and smoky projection artist.
Projection artists also because the oily essences and resins stick to the skin like baked milk in a pot! This results in a very long shelf life, and the sillage should be accordingly. In this respect one has to be careful with the dosage.

Black Gemstone is a fragrance that is more than worth wearing. However, it is not always wearable. It simply depends on the set and setting to provide the fragrance with the right surface and opportunity to develop. At which place do I want to wear it, which location? And do I have the right mood for the day to embody and radiate such a fragrance.
I am definitely fascinated by this fragrance, and I find its versatility extraordinary and very exciting. It embodies the contrasts of light and shadow that occur again and again in life!

And how did Jim Morrison once sing in one of his songs...You know that day destroys night...Break on through to the other side...

Thanks for your attention

Dark, mysterious perfection

The dry down on this makes me want to eat my hand. No, it’s not gourmand or anything it just smells so good I almost want to cannibalize myself. When I first applied it, I wasn’t blown away. It has a bit of a camphorous, gasoline-like opening, and it drowns out the notes a bit and it smells like it’s going to be a typical dark oud-ish oriental. But it doesn’t actually have oud listed as a note but the combination of the woods used and the dark, resinous smokey aspect gives it an oud like feel in the opening. But it transitions away from that into this almost inky resinous incense and tonka. It has this sexy, mysterious, yet spiritual feel and it hovers closely to the skin, making it more personal experience. It has a similar vibe as Mortal Skin without the purple berries and the complexity. They do not smell the same but it has that dark inky quality. It’s not an overly complex smelling fragrance but it’s a perfect smelling fragrance. Just the right amount of everything and the dry down is a non stop wrist sniffer. Very long lasting although more of a skin scent after 4-5 hours. Unisex leaning masculine. High quality and rather natural, bordering on oily smelling.
DufterMann
The darkness I called... and grabbed me!
Foreword:
I was fascinated by Stéphane Humbert Lucas' creations and the "Harrods" with which I booted to the Schnitzler branch and asked for a similar fragrance. It didn't take long and the saleswoman stood in front of me with a golden bottle, sprayed it onto the test strip and after a short test phase on her skin, the "Une Nuit a Doha" went straight into the shopping bag and I walked home with a smile on my face. My interest was aroused, because it was already the second fragrance from Mr. Lucas, which I like so much. So I started looking for more samples and found what I was looking for at a big perfumery. I was allowed to choose 5 samples, of which the number 1 was equal to Black Gemstone.

History:
It is said that the perfumer named the scent after the black stone in Mecca. This so coveted stone, for which so many pilgrims come to Kabaa to touch or kiss it or its fragments, has this scent at least in my imagination very well hit.

The scent:
Sprayed on and what a dark, smoky, resin-soaked cloud that made itself comfortable in my nose. The Sillage at the beginning is breathtaking. Is something like that wearable in everyday life, I wondered?
The minutes went by and slowly a smoky marzipan-like note became noticeable, giving the whole thing a sweetish touch. But if you are expecting a gourmand, you are at the wrong address. The resinous sweetness surrounded by the smoke surrounds the wearer for a few hours before he surrenders more and more to the sweetness and the resins and slowly makes room for a creamy woody note.
The further he progresses in the process, the more lovable, brighter and cuddlier he becomes. The fragrance is not presented on a test strip and does not show its full potential in the first few minutes, but only reveals its heart to those who are willing to surrender to darkness and strong charisma. For this you are rewarded with a woody sweet, only minimally smoky base that is so deep and magical that I could bathe in it.
Nevertheless I needed several attempts, 5 times I tested it and I was sure that one filling would be enough, because I would have classified it rather as difficult to carry.
But then it happened - I shared my last few drops with 2 other perfume madmen and a splash got lost on my hand and the scent went straight back into my nose. I had fallen in love and I had to have him. Not as a filling, but directly as a bottle.
I have tested him meanwhile also in the everyday life and that did not come as feared with strange looks, but as reaction: Oh, he is good, I like him!

Nevertheless I would probably not wear it every day because of its opulent charisma. I also consider him to be suitable for unisex use, even if his mostly smoky and gloomy nature is more likely to appeal to men. In a review, a tester said that he would classify him as a "4 Seasons" perfume, which I can't leave standing in the room. It's heavy, dry and quite strong, only colder autumn days, winters and cooler spring days would come to my mind. You don't need a certain outfit for him. The scent speaks for itself. ;-)

AldestAldest 4 months ago
Did we really need another oud-like fragfrance ??
... really not a good one - Frankincense with screw and bolt smell

Born Of Fire
by Gwiazdka72
by Carlossp
by Carlossp

Popular Stéphane Humbert Lucas

Taklamakan by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Ô Hira by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Isra & Miraj by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 2022 Generation Man by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Wish Come True by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Mortal Skin by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Soleil de Jeddah by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Panthea by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 2022 Generation Woman by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Khôl de Bahreïn by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Rose de Petra by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Panthea Iris by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Oud 777 by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Une Nuit à Doha by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Harrods by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Qom Chilom by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Manteuse by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Oumma by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Lufu by Stéphane Humbert Lucas