Black Gemstone 2013

Black Gemstone by Stéphane Humbert Lucas
Top 65 in Men's Perfume
Black Gemstone is a popular perfume by Stéphane Humbert Lucas for men and was released in 2013. The scent is resinous-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesCedarwoodCedarwood
LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesResinsResins
MyrrhMyrrh
Base Notes Base NotesTeakwoodTeakwood
Tonka beanTonka bean
FrankincenseFrankincense

Submitted by Avelus, last update on 20.10.2021.

Mischa99
beautiful woody fragrance with some drawbacks
Black Gemstone clearly ranks behind Au Coeur du Désert and № 02 - L'Air du Désert Marocain. The scent is similar: warm woody, smoky and dry. Here, a medicinal note is added at the beginning (something like WC Spray?!) , which irritated me. (Oud?) There is also a scent development: with time, a dry woody note becomes more and more perceptible, it also becomes berry and leathery. Some licorice accompanies the scent throughout. For me, the perfume is a bit too sweet, the teak note might not please everyone as it is very present. Because of the overly sweet note, the fragrance can not keep up with the competition in my opinion
Schallhoerer
Your darkness is my dazzling light
As in music, the perception of scents is apparently extremely subjective. Who would have thought that. That the impressions of others but so differ from their own, is then still surprising. Black Gemstone is described here (and also on other platforms) always with this absolute darkness, the absence of light or pure blackness
LennartS described it beautifully. Black Gemstone also smells like berry cough drops to me at the beginning. There's something very pleasantly medicinal with a dash of sweetness in the opening of the scent. I draw the comparisons here to Accord Oud by Byredo. That one also has such a (black)berry opening on me that reminds me a bit of delicious cough syrup. This gives it a soothing and pleasantly warm aura. In the course, it is then a little smokier, wins in profile and reminds me a little later in the incipient drydown quite remotely to "Tobacco Oud Intense" (if the animal opening has evaporated with this).

Unfortunately (and this is probably the only real criticism of the fragrance) it is with the time just too sweet. Since the tonka bean obviously takes the lead. Just this entering sweetness forbids me any association with darkness, blackness or something mysterious. For this, the fragrance exudes too much warmth for me.

PS: Yes, dear Schalkerin. You like it very much. You love it. You like it very much. Your darling. So please, again, your short statement here as a reply. Otherwise this review won't feel right.

Black is the Refuse of Colours
Stéphane Humbert Lucas quotes this saying by the French philosopher Gaston Bachelard in connection with this fragrance on his website.

It was a good two years ago that "DufterMann" gave me a generous bottling of "Black Gemstone" and I tested this fragrance.
As much as I liked him at the beginning, so pulled me its further scent course at that time but too much in the dark and I sent the remaining bottling with fragrance samples of me back.
I knew but that he likes "Black Gemstone" very much and am sure, meanwhile, the mini atomizer is also empty.
My statement at the time clearly reflects my impression.

Apparently mature senses even in old age, along with the fragrance experience through testing, testing and testing again!
A good two years is quite a long time and the better I got to know Stéphane's philosophy on his impressive "Collection 777", the more I approached it: "understand" his compositions better now!
Despite my assessment at the time, I wanted to get to know "Black Gemstone" again more closely and also got some droplets to test again.

In the meantime, my fragrance sensation had apparently really evolved; I am always amazed at myself.
And therefore it was probably also with "Black Gemstone" the proverbial "love at second sight".

"Artists are Medium" writes Stéphane and so he celebrates in "Black Gemstone" an artistic homage to the "Black Stone" so significant in the Arab world: meant is the black obsidian.
This black volcanic stone is said to protect, release fears and blockages.
About the healing effect of gemstones one can be of different opinion: I myself have made very good experiences with it.

"Black Gemstones" glossy black fragrance silhouette opens with the freshness of lemon, which is quite soon joined by the aromatic warmth of fragrant cedar.
Myrrh and various resins (some secrets the perfumer may also keep for himself) let this fragrance initially soft and cuddly: even a bit cuddly.
The sweetness of the tonka bean also contributes to this, a fluffy jacket that warms pleasantly.
At the base, this black fragrance gem becomes increasingly darker and deeper through incense and teak: vibrant magic!

It was probably this that startled, alienated me when we first met.
It would have been a shame if I hadn't given "Black Gemstone" a second chance.
I would have missed out on an impressive olfactory experience.
Now this dark oriental power beckons me; this night, vaulted by the infinite sky. A sky in whose clear depths the stars shine and there their eternal images clearly emerge. He who knows about them can read them!
"Black Gemstone" is, also by its durability, a fascinating companion through this night:
a dark powerful protector!
Egyptian Space Magic
...that's what a perfume enthusiast on Youtube calls them, the creations from the house of Stephane Humbert Lucas.

And indeed, everything from the design of the bottles to the description of the fragrances alludes to a connection with the transcendent. As the brand's superstar, does Black Gemstone live up to this expectation?

The first impression has an easy time working magic on the taster, because you most likely haven't experienced a scent like this before. He literally bubbles with exotic ingredients and lets you dive into the unknown.

And so I was also shortly after spraying on his spell. If I close my eyes, I see white-luminous fragments that dynamically transform into floral patterns. They move calmly and harmoniously on a somber background. Hype-placebo, encounter with Egyptian magic or simply stimulated imagination? One doesn't know. :D

In any case, I was blown away by the uniqueness of the scent. I detect berry resins (and burnt woods), those could be attributed to the somber background. A plump, raw lemon balances the darkness. It gives the composition structure and edges.

A few weeks go by and I keep smelling the sample. Unfortunately, associations with gasoline and berry cough drops creep in. Even if I know that this does not correspond to the fragrance, these associations alleviate my fascination and inclination to Black Gemstone. It is also the second SHL (after Mortal Skin) where the fascination decreases with time. The only question is whether one's appreciation wanes or whether the Egyptian-magical facade crumbles after prolonged viewing. Still, for me, it is one of the best fragrances I have had the pleasure of tasting so far! So far, the darkness in this fragrance is unmatched (deep black). Creative, emotional, and mysterious.

BG makes a certain claim on its wearer and its environment, because it is quite bitter and strange, especially at the beginning. In the drydown, however, he becomes softer and the oil / gasoline component disappears more and more. Especially in the sillage BG is quite sweet, a sweetness reminiscent of cherry. The use is currently quite limited for me, certainly I'll pay him another visit in the future. Because a second of the variety you can not find so easily.

Once upon a time there was a dark stone...
Schalkerin
A journey into the darkness
Black Gemstone, a fragrance that has grabbed me immediately after spraying on and pulled into the spell.
From now on I was on a fantastic journey into a dark, sinister, oriental night. Strange voices, strange sounds and smells.

With my eyes closed, I lie on the couch and let my imagination run wild. Holiday memories mix with dreams and I can't keep my wrist off my nose. At some point I fell then, freshly sprayed into bed and the dreams continued.
A great experience.

The other morning after waking up, as first, wrist - nose. Indeed, the scent had lingered. And even a few hours later, he was still perceptible and beautiful.
A tremendously good durability.

The first impression, barely perceptible lemon and burnt wood, followed quite strongly, incense. A wonderful prelude. Myrrh and wonderful resins make in warm, soft and balsamic.
After a longer time, it becomes wonderfully sweet through vanilla and tonka.
So he remains for many hours. An absolute pleasure.

Just as beautiful as the fragrance is also the Flacon, which fits perfectly to him.
Black, heavy and noble, just like its content.

A fragrance that fascinates.

Dear Medianus76, a thousand thanks for this great fragrance sample.
Hallelujah what is that?
That was probably my first thought when I applied the Black Gemstone for the first time on my skin. I had never smelled something like this before and this scent of an initially strong lemon and myrrh first overwhelmed my nose.
Briefly, I thought that this perfume is too concise and violent for me.
After 10-15min, however, the scent took a completely different course and the lemon moved somewhat into the background and a pleasant resinous / smoky smell comes to mind.
So : waiting is worth it!

A friend of mine said, soas good she had never smelled and immediately wanted to know how the fragrance is called. When she then made a photo of the bottle and searched for him on the Internet came a short gulp.

"Honestly...250€ for a perfume? You're not quite ready to travel, are you? But if I smell it again, but the money I would have spent on this fragrance too." - were your words ;)

The bottle is super noble and the packaging also!
DarkWinterCS
Dark shadows that haunt me
"By day, it's easy to keep things sober and unsentimental. At night, it's a very different story."

I'm only too happy to begin this comment with this quote from Ernest Hemingway, because this fragrance is one of the few that evoke more than just perfume euphoria in me. It is rather an experience, a self-reflection of darkness, a confrontation with the deepest fears and shadows of feelings. So black and yet bright, so dangerous and yet comfortable. Seldom have so many thoughts gone through my head as when I tested this extraordinary fragrance. At the first contact the fragrance conveys a threat that goes through your marrow in such a way, only to then lie as a gentle shadow on your skin and give you an understanding of security.

Since the fragrance triggers quite poetic and philosophical tendencies, I would like to describe it with a pictorial example that came directly to my mind. There will certainly be one or the other of us who has also immersed himself in the world of video games or grown up with it. In 2010 a game called "Alan Wake" was released, which puts you in the person of an author with writer's block and a rather questionable psyche. In his adventure he has to step through the darkest corners of his own self, the human psyche and malicious nightmares and find the salvation for his own mind, which is portrayed as a self-told psychological thriller. (I don't want to tell you more about it, because those who don't know it should definitely play it). Whoever has enjoyed this work will recognize the parallels. Because this oppressive darkness, the voices buzzing around you and creating a claustrophobic fear, can only be held back by a soft light.

The night begins fast and dark.

I hear clouds in the sky, which have not come into being naturally and which mean disaster. In my nose I notice smoke, one of the kind that can be described as threatening and of unnatural origin - all kinds of thoughts shoot into my head.
The source of the disaster is getting closer and closer, the smoke is getting more intense and inevitably triggers an oppressive threat - whispering voices in my ear. No one is in sight, I am alone.
Darkness around me has a different effect than in the realms known to me. You cannot see your hand in front of your eyes, yet I continue to walk through the absorbing black with doubts.

Rustling and crackling between the trees.

Suddenly the ground in front of me seems strangely loose. A closer look does not bode well. An abyss in which a black nothingness has formed demands me. I step back and try desperately to find something on the ground to hold on to.

I spend an hour already in the darkness and everything around me is screaming for me.

By a happy coincidence I bump my knee against a small object that turns out to be a flashlight. Slowly but surely I get a warm feeling, which gives me inner protection. My mood brightens up. Finally I find a bridge, which paves my way over the abyss. When I see the illuminated city, I am happy. Finally the worst is over.

Unnoticed, however, a grey smoking shadow has settled on my back, I do not see it, but I feel it. I go anyway and hope remains
I wake up and realize that it was all just a nightmare and I don't want to dive into it again. But it all felt so real. I try to stop thinking about it and I get up to finish myself. On the way to the bathroom I almost get a fright from the creaking of the wooden furniture. It's light, everything is fine. I stand in front of the mirror and try to ignore the dark circles under my eyes. How sleepless I feel. The mirror is not my best friend today. But when I dare to look in it I get scared.
On my neck, where I usually apply perfume, a fine veil of grey smoke seems to float.

My reality is blurring. Am I going crazy? Are stories about paranormal events not nonsense after all? What's happening to me? I feel like a victim of my own psyche. Is this reality or just a trick of my uncontrolled creativity? Dark is the depth of my own mind, which manifests itself in the face of fear and changes as a smoking shadow on my skin.

"Monsters are real and ghosts are real, too. They live in us and sometimes you win."
Stephen King

But now to this creation, which teaches even a shadow to fear it. The start is smoke and hardly anything else but this. A cloud that almost takes your breath away and so voluminously and intensely explores the limits. But that's what this perfume wants to take you to the limits and show you the abyss without taking the last step. In all my testing for perfume, I have never encountered such a heavy smoke. Even as a fan of a really peaty whisky I reach my pain threshold here. But one is saved by a slightly warming citrus note After an hour, the smoke subsides slightly, allowing some of the other notes to sprout, so that one can slowly hope to emerge from the shoals of the black menace. Warm and slightly sticky resins reveal themselves, giving you the breather you need. Woods and vanilla create a creamy unity and let the incense roll off. Myrrh is the note that accompanies the fragrance all the time. Just great. The fragrance also gives you a feeling, one of wearing a dark shadow on your skin, which could give people in the area a menacing feeling, but can be worn well.

But under this very oriental scent there is more than just a blender, which disappears after a short time. It accompanies you through the day with ease and projects just at the beginning as if from another star. Loosely 8 hours of durability are in here, even if he withdraws after half then something and reduces the sniffing circle. Although it does not play in a league of the equally priced Xerjoff fragrances (oud stars) in terms of durability and sillage, it still shows its value and dominance. More than any other fragrance, I consider it (along with slightly animalistic ones) a statement fragrance. It doesn't hide itself and gives you a full on twelve. Here I am and if you don't like it, then disappear.

A fragrance that will certainly split, but finds its lovers. For me, too, the smoke was quite crass at the beginning, but from time to time it becomes more sensual, better and more familiar. A great piece. Plus eunes, which reveals more than just alcohol with fragrances. So haunting, so expansive and present. A fragrance that forces you to look into your own soul.
Secret affair
The darkness of the night. Myrrh is a gum resin! Did you know that? I didn't know.

The upbeat is fierce. Intensely violent, violently different. Imagine a person jumps into a pool filled with liquid rubber. When he rises again, he smells the entrance to Black Gemstone. Where there is supposed to be a lemon is beyond me.

Black Gemstone then becomes softer by the minute, with tonka and incense in the base.

I don't know what to make of it. I mean, I volunteer to wear pure oud and get mocked as "stable master" by those around me. And this smell doesn't even stink. But rubber? I'm torn between 9 and 0.5 points for this smell. A dilemma I'm in for the first time. Objectively, it's definitely more of a 9-point smell. But whether I am attracted to or deterred by the special nature of rubber, I am not yet able to say. For me, the scent is like an affair, where you don't know yet if you want to leave your wife for her. I have to keep testing and wearing it.

In any case, Black Gemstone is the black hole of niche perfumery, the darkness, the mystery. Worth a try, anyway. Cheers
Medianus76
There is no light without darkness...
To see without shadow is like seeing no sun. Without darkness we would not find the light.
One way or another, I think the prelude to Black Gemstone would suit me. The molecular structure presents a deep black - dot!
If I look at black as a color and I had to imagine a fragrance, then this opening would certainly be a good choice
At the beginning of the fragrance pyramid, a black hole is created. The incense forms an olfactory tunnel, which at the beginning contains no brightness at all. By clever use of the scent molecules, however, it soon becomes possible to perceive a light at the end of the tunnel. This light is formed by a fresh lemon that shines through again and again and is rounded off by the presence of cedar wood. In the opening, these components complement each other harmoniously and in a regulating way. The lemon and the cedar wood on the one hand keep the incense in check so that it does not get the upper hand. But the incense as a counterpart keeps the fragrance uncompromisingly on the dark side.

If the fragrance would not undergo any further significant development at this point, it would certainly not be interesting for me, and I would not pay any further attention to it. The metamorphosis, which the fragrance undergoes in the further course, makes it to what it really is - a black gemstone!

Similar to a roller shutter, which you pull up slowly on a sunny day, the individual, darkly encrusted slats gradually come loose. The incoming daylight displaces the darkness and fills the room with a pleasant and pleasant warmth. Exactly this effect is the strength of Black Gemstone. More and more resins and myrrh take control, giving the fragrance a berry and sweetish component. The dark and smoky component recedes into the background, creating an overall picture of a smooth, sweet, resinous and smoky projection artist.
Projection artists also because the oily essences and resins stick to the skin like baked milk in a pot! This results in a very long shelf life, and the sillage should be accordingly. In this respect one has to be careful with the dosage.

Black Gemstone is a fragrance that is more than worth wearing. However, it is not always wearable. It simply depends on the set and setting to provide the fragrance with the right surface and opportunity to develop. At which place do I want to wear it, which location? And do I have the right mood for the day to embody and radiate such a fragrance.
I am definitely fascinated by this fragrance, and I find its versatility extraordinary and very exciting. It embodies the contrasts of light and shadow that occur again and again in life!

And how did Jim Morrison once sing in one of his songs...You know that day destroys night...Break on through to the other side...

Thanks for your attention

Dark, mysterious perfection

The dry down on this makes me want to eat my hand. No, it’s not gourmand or anything it just smells so good I almost want to cannibalize myself. When I first applied it, I wasn’t blown away. It has a bit of a camphorous, gasoline-like opening, and it drowns out the notes a bit and it smells like it’s going to be a typical dark oud-ish oriental. But it doesn’t actually have oud listed as a note but the combination of the woods used and the dark, resinous smokey aspect gives it an oud like feel in the opening. But it transitions away from that into this almost inky resinous incense and tonka. It has this sexy, mysterious, yet spiritual feel and it hovers closely to the skin, making it more personal experience. It has a similar vibe as Mortal Skin without the purple berries and the complexity. They do not smell the same but it has that dark inky quality. It’s not an overly complex smelling fragrance but it’s a perfect smelling fragrance. Just the right amount of everything and the dry down is a non stop wrist sniffer. Very long lasting although more of a skin scent after 4-5 hours. Unisex leaning masculine. High quality and rather natural, bordering on oily smelling.

BoBoChampBoBoChamp 8 months ago
This rather challenging, dark, thick and rubbery smoky-woody Winter fragrance, slowly shifts to a gentle and dry, leathery earthy-woody base
AldestAldest 1 year ago
Did we really need another oud-like fragfrance ??
... really not a good one - Frankincense with screw and bolt smell

by Schalkerin
by Gwiazdka72
by Carlossp
by Carlossp

Popular Stéphane Humbert Lucas

Taklamakan by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Ô Hira by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Isra & Miraj by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Mortal Skin by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 2022 Generation Man by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Wish Come True by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Soleil de Jeddah by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 2022 Generation Woman by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Panthea by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Khôl de Bahreïn by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Panthea Iris by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Rose de Petra by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Oud 777 by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Une Nuit à Doha by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Lufu by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Harrods by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Qom Chilom by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Manteuse by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Oumma by Stéphane Humbert Lucas