Mortal Skin by Stéphane Humbert Lucas

Mortal Skin is a popular perfume by Stéphane Humbert Lucas for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBlackberry, Ink, Galbanum, Frankincense, Cistus
Heart Notes Heart NotesLeather, Opoponax, Iris powder, Saffron, Davana, Myrrh, Cardamom
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Styrax, Sandalwood, Labdanum, Civet, Atlas cedar, Birch, Musk

Submitted by Hermesh, last update on 13.08.2019

9.0 6.0 7.0 8.0/10

DonJuanDeCat
Writing the scent on the skin
Good evening, snoopers! Today I come to a somewhat more luxurious fragrance brand, Stéphane Humbert Lucas, of which I still have many fragrances to test, but I already know that I like this brand very much, because Taklamakan is one of my favorite fragrances, which hopefully some day will move in with me :)

Today I come to Mortal Skin. Of course, many of you who know me will now expect me to tell Nerd something about the video game series Mortal Kombat (because of the term Mortal in the fragrance name), because by chance the latest game in this series came out just a few weeks ago. And yes, despite all the brutality in the game, I like this series of games because it's just fun (and I guess I'm a sick sick idiot too :D), but I don't think it's right to combine this nice smell here with a game where you can rip out guts and stuff, eh, you didn't think I'd say that, did you? D

So, the fragrance here is called Mortal Skin, because it thematizes a renewing snake skin, i.e. how a new skin forms under the old skin. And the fragrance should also have the same effect, so it should renew itself again and again during the course of the fragrance. You'll see if that's the case. In any case, I can already say that this fragrance is very beautiful and could be noted for the autumn.

The fragrance:
The fragrance begins with sweet blackberries and spicy herbaceous scents that should come from the cistus rose. The top note now contains ink. This is very special and probably you wouldn't necessarily get it if you didn't know that it should contain ink. But as soon as you look at the scent pyramid and discover ink in it, then yes, the scent actually seems like ink to you.
Furthermore, I smell nice, but slightly weak resins like frankincense and myrrh, but here you can't say exactly what kind of resin you really smell, because it seems to be a mix of these great scents. In the background there are green notes, which could perhaps come from the galbanum. In addition, the scent of the iris is also beautifully powdery.
A little later a clear leather note is added. In the background I also smell a somehow fiery-warm note that I can't determine any further.
Towards the base one still smells light blackberries. But leather and now also woody notes smell better. The resins are a little stronger, so the fragrance remains soft (and powdery due to the iris). The amber gives a slight but fine sweetness. Otherwise there are general, spicy notes in the base in the background.
All in all, the fragrance is very beautiful.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The charisma is rather moderate. The scent will be smellable, but only for people who are nearby, because soft and gentle scents usually have a lower charisma anyway...
But the shelf life is good, because I could smell the scent on my skin for seven to eight hours.

The bottle:
The bottle is rectangular, shiny black-gold with a mosaic card snake head whose eyes are made of Swarovski crystals. The onion-shaped lid is golden with black structures that are partially highlighted. This is supposed to be a skinning or renewing snake skin. All in all, an interestingly designed and very high-quality bottle that looks good.

Soo, I think the fragrance is really good, because it shows a lot of complexity and you can smell a lot of fragrances, which are all good and also harmonize well with each other, even if it might seem a bit special to some. According to the description, this scent should be like a snake skin that is constantly renewed. And with a little imagination, you can actually divide the fragrance into several phases, where in each phase the fragrance is redesigned and renewed. It begins with a fruity phase, which radiates a nice and unusual fragrance with the ink. In the second phase, the resins and gentle fragrances such as iris are added. Then the fragrance becomes leathery and finally the fragrance returns again to change into a woody and spicy direction.

Of course, you can only enjoy all this best if you have this fantasy in mind and are enthusiastic about the fragrance instead of saying like a philistine that everything is just the typical division into head, heart and base :D

Anyway, the fragrance is a very nice companion, especially for the evening, and I also think that despite the fruity-sweet notes and the soft-powdery fragrances, it does not come across as feminine, but as unisex. In my opinion, it is best to use it in autumn (for winter, its Sillage might be too weak).
It is one of the SHL fragrances that are definitely worth testing.

So, that's it, then. I wish you all a nice evening, until then :)
9.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10

My (Im)Mortal Skin
I snuck around Mortal Skin for a long time. I definitely wanted to test it, but something always held me back, like a soft warning of what it could do to me.
After testing it several times, I thought for just as long about how I should put this fragrance and what it triggers in me into words. Really not easy, because this scent triggers pure feeling in me! Pure emotion - powerful, passionate and completely confused. I was not exposed to this kind of feeling for a very long time, lastly when the relationship began with my first great love after 4 years, her one-year ascent and descent to the final end.
Every single day tore me apart anew. Then deepest pain alternated with unbridled joy, all consuming longing overflowed with unbridled passion, loneliness and silence were replaced by thunderous, hurtful words to find oneself in a cosy togetherness or to lose oneself completely. But omnipresent and unbroken I always felt the love in me despite everything. Love for him.
I smell the ink with which I wrote down my diary entries, which were still regular at that time, the leather of his jacket, the scent of which I absorbed deeply when he held me in his arms, the powder I applied when I tried to hide my tears, the incense very similar to the incense sticks which often burned on our cozy evenings in his apartment to fragrant ashes...
And the song "My Immortal" from "Evanescence" was omnipresent. At that time this song was able to unite and channel all those confused emotions that raged unruly within me. The singer's voice dug deep into my heart, melody and lyrics spoke from my soul.
This relationship did not end nicely, yet it ended in love!

It may be an unusual description of the scent, but this scent cannot be captured or even approximately described for my sensation with analytical procedures. "Mortal Skin" is not for rationalists, because it gets under your skin and lets you feel what you are capable of feeling. He's a rush! Full of melancholy, longing, desire, bliss, gentleness, passion... He rummages through the body until he has upset every single synapse to numb all perception at the same moment as a narcotic and give you the gentle tranquility of a dreamless night.
A symphony of heart-rending emotions of all kinds, in which a feeling always remains omnipresent: Love...
Like "My Immortal" at that time, "Mortal Skin" touched me most intensely and intimately, so that I am absolutely addicted to this scent with skin and heart. He's a soul catcher!
9.0 7.0 10.0 8.0/10

The little fear
"Mortal Skin" was on my watch list from the beginning.
I found the name incredibly fascinating.
How do you think the scent of mortal skin, i.e. that of every human being and perhaps also that of every animal, is converted into bottles?
Can this succeed?

I don't know the answer even after repeated tests yet, but yes, "Mortal Skin" reminds me of certain situations of being alive.

First of all the summers of my last school years.
As soon as school was over, I dashed home, grabbed my swimsuits and cycled to the outdoor pool.
I stayed there until I was totally exhausted from swimming and the blazing sun and drove through the dry fields on the dusty way back home.
There I rested briefly, then I had dinner and sometime I sat down to my homework. I abhorred them, like probably everyone who ever went to school, but I loved to write with the fountain pen and colourful ink, which is still the case today.
The fact that I already smoked makes the overall picture of Mortal Skin almost complete: It smells of hot, sunburned, dusty skin, of cooling sweat and of cigarette fingers that have touched the fountain pen too far down and are now smeared with ink.

That smells somehow strange, but I still like it really well.

Well...I said the overall picture was almost complete...because now comes the big but.

In the background of this fragrance is something that gives me goose bumps.

A shadow before the bright summer sun.
Something lurking beneath you in the water.
Someone who secretly follows you on a dirt road.
Eyes that watch you rest.
A strange feeling when crossing the inadequately illuminated alleyway.
Sudden steps behind you that make your pulse shoot up.
Someone with whom you have just enjoyed yourself deliciously and who looks at you all at once with a look that makes you all cold, who extinguishes the lights on this so far shining evening and makes it dark.

Fascinatingly beautiful and frightening "Mortal Skin" is unbearable for me.

10.0 9.0 10.0 10.0/10

Naked in Space
A 2015. év egyik legkülönlegesebb hipnotikus művészi alkotása, nem egy hétköznapi viselet… egy brutális, de mennyei utazás kezdete…
Meztelenül állunk egy kristálytiszta térben, az abszolút sötétségben, bőrünkön érezzük a világegyetem, az örök éjszaka lüktetését, a távolban égő haldokló csillagködök lassú hullámzását, melyek csak az ionizált anyaguk miatt világítanak. A halandó bőr és egy összeomló távoli csillag feszültséggel teli illata…
Az utazás mesésen indul, fekete tinta füstös tömjénnel párosul, egyesülésüket a kardamom is támogatja, mindehhez a gyanták kellő meleget kölcsönöznek az írisz fagyosságával szemben. Finom füst lebeg mindenfelé, olyan érzésünk támad, hogy mindez az élet törékenységéről szól, melyet körülvesz a nyírfából, szantálfából és cédrusból készült erős keret.
Mindehhez nagy koncentrációban csatlakozik a parfüm tökéletes egyediségét biztosító, pézsmába és forró tintába mártott szeder igen különös illata. A háttérben egy száraz, illuzórikus zúgó erdőt hallunk, amely tényleg csak egy káprázat, hiszen valójában az erdő egy sima üvegre festett kép csupán.
Ez nem az a fajta parfüm, amelyet egyszerűen csak viselünk, ez olyan, amit akkor kívánunk meg, amikor olyan emberrel találkozunk, akivel érdemes együtt lenni, és amikor felnézünk az égre, tudjuk, hogy nem vagyunk egyedül.
10.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Venom
First I'm gonna say that I've never tried anything so dense, thick as this. This one is so inky, so mysterious with it's pretty complex composition. On my skin this one has several well played stages from pure balsamic from to incensy-fruity-spicy one to something woody but complex woody if I can call it that way? And all of it blends almost perfectly, like the most perfect orchestra.
It is really hard to explain the smell of this perfume and all I can say is that Mortal Skin has something so alluring and sinister in it, powerful too. Reminds me on thick black compound with it's own intelligence, reminds me of Venom!
On my skin this performs pretty well but not as well as I've thought it will based on all those "heavy" notes listed. It projects reasonably good for 2-3 hours and longevity is above 7h mark which is totally fine with me. The bottle and whole presentation is a class of itself and every detail is well thought and crafted. This is pure niche product and I cannot see mass appeal for this one but that's the way it should be.

Excellent work portraying the smell of Venom Mr. Stéphane Humbert Lucas.
9.0 4.0 8.0 6.5/10

StellaDiverF
Berry oud and balmy myrrh
Mortal Skin is quite an abstract perfume on my skin. The notes blend and percolate through each other, that the smell as a whole, feels like an object exhibiting inflections of different notes. The evolution also takes place in a incremental manner, although three different phases can be distinguished on my skin.

The first 30 minutes of Mortal Skin is a chewy, almost chalk-like musk to my nose, with abstract berry sweetness and clean "ozonic" feeling lifting the fragrance up without actually smelling like marine or ozonic elements, which is probably the "ink" referred to in the note list.

The woody elements then become stronger with time, as well as the berry sweetness turns more sugary in parallel. There is also an almost oily creamy resin undertone and a saffron-like bitter fruitiness. The combined effect of musky, resinous and slightly inky wood and sweet berries, actually strongly reminds me of the synthetic oud dry down in certain western brands.

Like many western "oud" fragrances, Mortal Skin turns drier towards the dry down, but thankfully not as harsh as a few overdosed by woody amber aromachemicals. A simultaneously balmy, date-like and cool, mineral myrrh also comes to rescue, which makes a sweet balsamic berry skin scent with an interesting bitter twang.

Mortal Skin stays mostly close to skin and lasts about at least 9 hours.

I find it interesting that Mortal Skin is not as heavy as the note list suggests, which allows me to enjoy the fragrance even though I'm not so keen on occidental "oud" and sweet berry in general. But it also leaves me somewhat underwhelmed by this overall nebulous trail, especially at this price. If you happen to be looking for a soft, sweet "oud" and myrrh fragrance and has less limit on budget, Mortal Skin might be a contender, but I would otherwise hesitate to recommend it due to its price and accessibility.
9.0 6.0 8.0 9.0/10

The Stalker
Every week you come to this old, refined and fine restaurant. Always at the same time.
Alone. Do you think this is not quite true? I can see you, I know all about you
I've been watching you for a long time, and you have not even noticed it. Or is it?
How good you look again. The black dress with leather gloves, too free.
You always come for a glass of noble red wine and for your hot-beloved dessert.
Flambéed blackberries, were they, did not they? A bite, a sip in the order.
And always this scribbling at the table with your beautiful filler, which you got from your father. I could read the engraving when I visited you at home. You should be more careful. You can open your door easily. You were unfortunately not there. But still the letters that smelled of ink. And you still write this man. I've read it all, all! You never send her off, that's better, he did not deserve you. But I, and I'll get you. Certainly!

When I lay alone on your bed and all the letters around me, which had already smelled spicy and woody after old paper, I lit the candles which are on your bedside. They enveloped your room in a waxy soft light. Oh God! How beautifully your sheet smelt.
I even had to take off my mask. You should not see her, she'd just scare you. The black thing. This smell on your pillow. So only you can smell.
After powder and spicy-herbs skin. Oh, your beautiful and delicate skin. I'll touch them soon, very soon! In a few minutes you will leave the restaurant. And you will cry again, as always. It has what animal your sadness, but you are not alone my beautiful treasure.
I'm always with you, never forget my love. I would find you everywhere. Your smell will always betray you, the smell of your skin.

Conclusion
Mortal Skin is a film, a gloomy-erotic film about fantasy and reality.
A scent of drama and eroticism that is difficult to fathom. Mysterious and obscure.
A shadow of the one follows and which is never quite there, but also never completely away.
Smoky, sensual and mysteriously attractive.
Shelf life: 8 to 10 hours.
Sillage: Creeping would be best.
Sex: unisex. Victims or perpetrators, this is the question again.

A scent of even a little worried me.

Can777 2 years ago
A fragrance for a film noir. Fruity-gloomy-dusty-spicy-lascivious-erotic and captivating. He has something disturbing in the positive sense.+5
9.0
6.0
9.0
Hermesh 4 years ago
Dusty-powdery and dry, slightly balsamic wood. Fruity and berry touch gives volume without any sweetness. Eccentric & interesting!+2

by Sweetsmell75
by Sweetsmell75
by Anarlan
by Anarlan
by PureNeugier
by PureNeugier
by BlueValkyrie
der Edelstein im Edelstein ......
Like a psycho-thriller..