Taklamakan by Stéphane Humbert Lucas
Top 21 in Unisex Perfume
Taklamakan is a popular perfume by Stéphane Humbert Lucas for women and men and was released in 2016. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.
Scent goes well with Tabac Blond (Eau de Parfum)

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Rose, Chinese toon
Heart Notes Heart NotesSandalwood, Iris, Patchouli, Gaiac wood, Cade juniper wood
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Vanilla, Cistus, Musk

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 22.09.2020.

Pale desert landscape
The more good ratings a fragrance has and the more you look forward to it based on its individual notes, the greater the disappointment can be if the high expectations are not met. Of the 16 comments so far, 15 have a rating between 8 and 10 - only DaveGahan101 gives a 7.5 - and you can also read a lot of positive things in the statements. Today I tested the scent again after a long time and although Taklamakan doesn't annoy me either, I only feel indifference as I move my wrist towards the nose. I'm aware that there might be some contradictions to this comment, but just because most people have a different opinion, I shouldn't bend mine but start from my own perception.

The name and the associations associated with it are quite understandable, because warmth and dryness are clearly recognizable, but the texture of the fragrance does not seem quite right to me. Something synthetic seems to keep the individual notes relatively close together, as I have already noticed in other creations by Stéphane Humbert Lucas (including soOud).

At the beginning Taklamakan has a slightly 'boozy' character, but basically the fragrance starts with the heart and base notes. The rose that I can smell directly from the sprayer of the sample is not present on my skin at any time. Instead, the resinous and woody sides hold their own, while a slightly sweet vanilla is always perceptible. The big problem for me is that everything seems to be densely packed and yet quite dimmed. But good perfumes give the individual notes air to breathe, no matter how heavy they are. Benzoin leaves an impression of something dried up waxy, and rockrose doesn't have its ethereal quality here; sandalwood seems only partly creamy to me, and patchouli at least gives a soft, earthy touch. A further difference can be seen in the projection/silage, because I can only perceive Taklamakan really strongly in the immediate vicinity of the skin. Only the pale mixture remains in the air, which does not do justice to the given scents.

The question whether my sample is not authentic or tilted, I can answer in the negative, because I received it in exchange from a long-time perfumer who owns Taklamakan himself. You have to assume that every now and then there are those fragrances where you simply get completely different impressions than the majority do.

Desert stories
I have now sampled a few from this house, Mortal Skin, Black Gemstone, Soleil de jeddah, and Taklamakan. It has certainly left me wanting to explore the house even more. Hope you enjoy this review and thank you for watching.

The Summoning of the Desert Djinn

The name "Taklamakan" alone, in combination with the golden, luxurious bottle, creates a picture of fragrance in my imagination. Warm and dry, it will carry with it the mineral smell of sand and perhaps smoke. Is there a well or an oasis nearby? No, that's not what the word sounds like to me, it sounds like vastness, emptiness, sublimity. Perhaps it is a fragrance of the night when the starry sky above the pure desert air shines so brightly on some nights that I can see my own shadow? Or perhaps the djinni I fear in perfumes lives in the bottle after all - namely oud, which I still smell in traces myself and which (so far, but I doubt that this will change) regularly lets me flee.

I'm certainly not the only one who can make out a certain picture of how the content will smell based solely on the name, the bottle or the colour of a fragrance. And Taklamakan fulfils my expectations, plays with them, surpasses them and at the same time leaves the longing for more open. That's the first thing you have to do as a fragrance.
When spraying on I spontaneously think: "resin patchouli" - so not wrong for my fragrance preferences. At the same time, however, there is an immediate hint of freshness and something herbaceous and aromatic that opens the first impression and gives hope for more.

Two fragrances that I have come across so far go in a similar direction for me: Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain and Coromandel by Chanel. And yet the three are fundamentally different. Bois d'Arménie is much woodier, less resinous-aromatic and the freshness hidden in Taklamakan is completely missing here. The desert scent shares the patchouli with Coromandel. At Coromandel it is much more natural and present, earthier, cooler cellar, while Patchouli in Taklamakan is wrapped in a soft coat of sweet resin and vanilla. Maybe that's why Taklamkan is also worth a try for people who aren't real patchouli fetishists. For all who fear oud as much as I do, this is good news. Although in Taklamakan there is hidden something dirty, dark, slightly disturbing, almost animalistic, it is so subliminal, that even for me Animalik-und Oud-Memme it is not too much, but simply wonderful!

The way Patchouli is finely woven in Taklamakan brings me straight to the next point: the sweetness. Here, too, the scent surprises. It is sweet and dry at the same time - or maybe unsweet-vanilla and sweet-aromatic-resinous after all? Depending on what my perception concentrates on, different layers of the scent come to the fore, like a desert wind that brings scents from all directions from far away. Sometimes it's the mineral clash of hot sand that has a characteristic smell that one can almost taste more than smell, made to float by ethereal translucent smoke. The resin of crippled small bushes, which release spicy aromas in the scorching sun, mixes with it and it almost seems to me as if sometimes flowers from the far away oasis could be guessed at.

Now one should think that, after this, as I like to admit, somewhat overflowing hymn of praise Taklamakan immediately ascended with enthusiasm to my new darling, who from now on often accompanies me, my dreamy desert wind. And yet it is not so. For me it is (once again) a fragrance that I admire, but which I don't want to smell of as a person all day long. Then he is too much for me, too present and also too long staying in one phase.
But at the weekend, sprayed on my wrist to take a deep breath while walking, shopping or reading, to dream of the glistening sun, of faraway lands, of unfulfilled desires and of the possibilities that hopefully lie ahead of me: Yes, it's just the scent my heart longs for!
in the Middle of Nowhere
"Taklamakan" is a little bit my destiny scent: I love it hot and intimate, but I also know that I will never own it. That's life!
And yet I can't leave him!
Beside "Tauer N° 2" this was one of the first bottlings Sweetsmell 75 left to me; today I still thank her very much for it.
You can almost say it's some kind of "Everlasting Love!"

This concentrated fragrance on the rich base of Patchouli fascinates me; it captures me, binds me and leads me to the second largest sand desert in the world.
There's a danger of losing me there!
It's windy and the wind doesn't just carry a lot, a lot of sand, but also a lot of mysterious scents; it's a desert scent full of sensual appeal - straight-lined and hot (that's what ALzD says; I'll go along with that!).
This dry and mysterious desert wind carries with it many woody scents: it reminds us that this desert Taklamakan used to be called "the Valley of Poplars".
Where have these poplars gone?
The complex magic of this fragrance makes it difficult for me to break it down into individual parts: it is always a whole; and as it is, it is simply perfect!
The scents merge so harmoniously that it is difficult for me - even with my hypersensitive nose - to analyze them.
I perceive a touch of mahogany: I still belong to the generation that knows magahoni and teak wood from the production of fine furniture.
They were beautiful and sensual: today they are questioned ...
Woods, in various selection, and roses - how wonderfully they harmonize with each other!
The powdery iris dampens something as usual; it lays a calming, powdery veil of scent over the whole!
The fragrances of the spicy, bulky cistus rose are surprisingly clear: in addition to the various wood chords, it leads to a climax: wood is not just wood - "Taklamakan" becomes lively, spicy and stimulates the senses!
The fragrance-intensive base gives this fragrance a magic that is second to none: "Taklamakan" appeals to the soul; this fragrance (if it is!) moves deeply!
For this he needs the heavy, enticing eroticism of creamy vanilla and the sensual heaviness of benzoic resin: Stéphane Humbert Lucas opens the door to the realm of sensual power: to the power of intelligent and extremely intense fragrance life!

"Taklamakan" touches my soul deeply; it takes me to a country that is actually foreign to me: mysterious, hot-blooded and without any logical thinking.
I let this fragrance work as a whole on me: its magic, its powerful intimacy!
I simply don't feel the need to disintegrate his fragrance pyramid - I just let myself drift!
Drift - in "the Middle of Nowhere"!
And listen (very intensively) to the enchanting Caro Emerald with her song "I'm sitting in the Middle of Nowhere ..." (s. there!).

I like to sit in the middle of the desert and in the scent called "Taklamakan"!
Filigree, fine and extremely sensual, I am embraced: long-lasting, like all fragrances of this brand.
Opulent and seductive and yet very down-to-earth: this magic lives!
I let the magic work without resistance: "Taklamakan" enchants, dominates me, surrounds me!
This "middle of nothingness" leaves all options open: "Make your choice! It's the Best you can do!!"
Heartbreaking beauty
The first thing you can notice is an intense herbaceous note, which has a light tangy aura and is due to the bergamot.

At the same time a very soft aromatic, juniper-like sweet note is perceptible, which has a strong distinctive woody accent and my research showed that this comes from Cade wood.

In the very background a light dry, invigorating peppery shade can be perceived, which I also could not assign, but the Internet revealed to me that this scent property stems from the sura tree and I didn't even know until today that such a tree exists at all
A little later a very pure and opulent rose is perceptible, which also has a light fleshy twist and gives the fragrance a very pleasant subliminal eroticism.

The iris, very softly powdery, discreetly flowery, was only used to lift the rose into the air.

In the background, a nice creamy, slightly spicy note is responsible for the fact that the composition appears very round, even without corners and edges and is due to the sandalwood.

These 3 notes are surrounded by a woody, slightly smoky note that gives the fragrance a heart-rending beauty and one already has a slight desire to pour oneself on one's head like Jean Baptiste Grenuille, Taklamakan.

In the last 3.5 hours the fragrance becomes a little dark, sweet - creamy, pleasantly viscous and comes from the black vanilla.

The vanilla becomes finely woody, balsamic - clearly warmed up that gives the fragrance a wonderful cuddly aspect and stems from the cistus rose in interaction with the musk.

In the background, a subtle earthy hint rounds off the fragrance and lets it fade away wonderfully.

Unfortunately, I could not perceive benzoin, but I can imagine very well that this component was used for background music.

Taklamakan is a great companion in the spring, autumn and winter months for women and men of all ages who are looking for a multi-layered sweet, woody, rosy, creamy, spicy and balsamic fragrance that makes them feel beautiful
In total the fragrance lasts 9 hours on my skin.

In the first 2.5 hours, the Sillage is designed in such a way that one is perceived very clearly at the 3.5 metres and then swings for 2 hours to a very clearly perceptible whole arm length, before it minimises itself in quiet steps until the end of the fragrance.

I would like to express my sincere thanks to our Parfuma "Elbchen" for the bottling.

HermeshHermesh 4 years ago
Dry-warm scent, with dusty, finely spiced vanilla note (delicately sweet and slightly bitter at the same time). Pleasant and nice to wear.

....Happy Halloween :-)
Besuch aus der Wüste am Rhein
by Graybeard
Das Bild war ein Kampf, die Strömung zu stark... Ich war nass bis auf die Unterwäsche...
by Gandix
Die Spinne kriecht aus ihrer Höhle ;)
by Graybeard
by Oudine
by EssAli
by EssAli

Popular Stéphane Humbert Lucas

Ô Hira by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Black Gemstone by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Isra & Miraj by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 2022 Generation Man by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Mortal Skin by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Wish Come True by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Soleil de Jeddah by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Panthea by Stéphane Humbert Lucas 2022 Generation Woman by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Khôl de Bahreïn by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Panthea Iris by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Oud 777 by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Rose de Petra by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Une Nuit à Doha by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Harrods by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Qom Chilom by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Oumma by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Manteuse by Stéphane Humbert Lucas Lufu by Stéphane Humbert Lucas