Sombre by Strangers

Sombre is a new perfume by Strangers for women and men and was released in 2019. The scent is synthetic-spicy. It is still in production.

Prin Lomros

Vomit, Mold, Animalic notes, Pus, Mud, Sweat, Champagne, Orris butter, Jasmine, Tuberose, Rose

Submitted by Maggy4u, last update on 19.06.2020.

3.5
Caligari
Is this supposed to be funny?
First of all, I'm very happy that Prin Lomros exists. At Pryn Parfum (R.I.P.) times I have already tested almost all of his fragrances and bought the most beautiful ones for me. I like his new brand Strangers, perfume Prissana excellent. At the moment I have a total of 10 bottles from Prins kitchen and I am certainly not one who does not know and acknowledge what this man is capable of achieving.

But the unseriousness and insecurity of Prin Lomros in a video, when he was asked why he made this fragrance, frankly scared me more than the fragrance itself. There was not much more than the vague hope that there are people out there somewhere who want something other than a flower scent. And when the scent was to be tested, he turned away in disgust and sneered. In addition, there are notes of vomit, mold, pus, mud, nocturnal animal. What's this? Are these notes actually marketed? Where? Why? What are they for? Or are they just terms for attracting attention? I would have honestly wished for a little more identification, seriousness, intention and explanation.

Surely no one will suffer or have suffered any damage. At the latest when reading through the scents, everyone will think twice before making a blind purchase for $70.

Except for the top note, which I don't find particularly cheesy, as one of the testers attested in the aforementioned video, the fragrance is not so disgusting to me that "it lifts me up", as we say. In my life, away from perfumes, I have had to put up with quite different smells, which disgusted me far more. For me, the top note contains a very inharmonious combination of flowers and bright spiciness. In a few moments this combination actually produced associations with excretions of the human body (vomit and sweat). Clearly perceptible for me was also something dust-dry and bright. It reminded me of lime and was also inappropriately disturbing. In addition, there were animal notes, which were rather their excrement than their external odour. Altogether in the form no scent at all, which one should put on. After about an hour, the combination of flowers and spiciness is reduced to a still light and musty conglomerate, which has been experienced in such a way with other fragrances. In this form it does not awaken any memories of human or animal excrements in me anymore.

In fact, I find "Necro Dellamorte" even more ''unbearable'' in the truest sense of the word, which is why I don't see any justification for this Enfant Terrible, which comes from the same source. So if you want to get back at someone, or are looking for a party gag, you should go straight to your commissioned work for The Fragrance Engineers. I hope you like it!

Not a Perfume!
Sombre has appeared under "unidentified Objects" at Strangers for a reason. It's a concept - not a classic fragrance. And that's exactly what Prin points out. He asks the concept behind this fragrance to open and not to expect a daily wearable perfume.

It's not the first time Prin has created something "intolerable" in the eyes of a classic perfume. Nekro Dellamorte is recommended for those who really want to deal with this further. (No skin test!)

Now back to Sombre and the homage to the French filmmaker Philippe Grandrieux. Mr. Grandrieux's trademark is his camera work, in which he completely does without working with the zoom. He goes into the scene himself when he wants to capture details. So he is always part of the scenes and especially his camera seems human. Never staged.

Behind Sombre is one of Grandrieux's works, which accompanies the serial killer Jean and his chance acquaintance Claire. The two love each other on the way together. They return for the act of physical love in a mouldy, dilapidated house.

The film is a work of art from a cinematic perspective and in any case because of the strength of its presentation. And so do I see Prins' contribution.

Although I never want to wear Sombre, it is certainly one of the most important contributions to the niche itself. After all, this is art that is created in the eye (or here the nose) of the beholder and above all is consciously intended to shock and exaggerate.

The discourse in the statements therefore pleases me - yes, the scent is actually not one.

And that's really good.

PS: I can only recommend to read Prins' own comments on the fragrance page at Strangers (in red) and especially on Youtube under "Visiting Filmmaker Series: Q&A with Philippe Grandrieux" to get to know the spirit behind movies like Sombre

by BoBoChamp
by BoBoChamp

Popular Strangers

Oliver by Strangers Cigar Rum by Strangers Gheorghe by Strangers Burning Ben by Strangers Les Mauvais Garçons by Strangers Salted Green Mango by Strangers Ember by Strangers SM Café by Strangers Wicked John by Strangers San Clemente by Strangers Aroon Sawat by Strangers Sangre Dulce by Strangers Fume Ma Peau by Strangers Scotch Peat by Strangers Lumberjack Cologne by Strangers Maia by Strangers Virginia by Strangers Cigar Rum Intense by Strangers Lava Rose by Strangers So Fetch! by Strangers