Collectible PHI - Une Rose de Kandahar (2013)

Collectible PHI - Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer Perfumes

Collectible PHI - Une Rose de Kandahar is a popular perfume by Tauer Perfumes for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is floral-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Andy Tauer

Top Notes Top NotesApricot, Bergamot, Cinnamon, Bitter almond
Heart Notes Heart NotesAfghan rose, Bulgarian rose absolute, Bourbon geranium, Tobacco leaf absolute
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Vetiver, Vanilla, Tonka bean, Musk, Ambergris

Submitted by Colognissimo, last update on 18.10.2019

9.0 9.0 8.0 8.5/10

full bottle worthy
Insanely great perfume i do own full bottle only for special ocassions but if u have the money u can use it everyday, its close to like exlusives or private collection from designer brands, extremely high quality hand made in Switzerland, smells unique rose de kandahar is truly unique rose fragrance + bg roses sweet long lasting and moderately projection stuff. + tons of compliments.
9.0 8.0 9.0 9.5/10

این همان طریقی است که افغانستان بوجود بوجود می آورد آورد
Afghanistan ... a shaken but nevertheless fascinating country with so many facets. I haven't been there yet, don't plan on it in the near future, who could blame me? But what one hears and sees of this mysterious country awakens curiosity and the desire to discover. So I have to let my imagination guide me in this commentary. In my imagination I am a tourist in a peaceful Afghanistan that I can explore freely and without danger. The freedom to fantasize accordingly, I take for this commentary now simply - knowing full well that that fantasy is currently utopian in nature.

I am thinking of hospitality and cordiality, those traits that are always said to be in the cradle of the people there, especially those who have little. I am thinking of the scorching heat that sometimes makes me desperate as an average Central European and who knows how to cling to every water bottle and every fruit in order to supply himself with sufficient liquid. The locals seemed to be able to comprehend my suffering and handed me a basket of apricots, a little cinnamon and, to have something firm between my teeth, a few bitter almonds, whose aroma came to full effect when I chewed them and accompanied the stewed compote, consisting of crushed apricots and cinnamon sticks, which I had prepared myself, in the most beautiful way. I immediately felt better - yes - even better and culinary spoiled and left the village and its inhabitants to set off for the next one.

The temperatures gradually fell. If the days here are sometimes unbearably hot, the nights can sometimes get cold and clinking. This night was supposed to be one of those. The sky was clear, the stars sparkled, I saw our Milky Way for the first time. No artificial light, as we know it in our densely populated countries, clouded that atmosphere.
I reached the next village. The moonlight illuminated the big cottage compound consisting of clay in the most sinister way, winds blew over the fields, which should be hit the next day again by the light of the standing up, hot sun. The closer I came to the mud hut, which was intended for me as accommodation, the stronger I perceived a flowery aroma, which must have its origin in the associated rose garden. Tired from my day trip I entered this garden full of curiosity. The flowery, so dark aroma intensified, flooded my nasal cavities. These roses were not buried at all, not playful, but mystical, dark, unspoiled, ripe, moonlit, thorny, dominant, companions of the Afghan night.
I entered my lodging bewitched by that olfactory pleasure. The village eldest was already waiting for me and embraced me warmly, showed me my couch and left me alone immediately, as he probably already recognized when I walked through the entrance of the hut that my eyes were already falling over while standing. So I lay down, the roses should accompany me, together with the tobacco freshly harvested by the farmers, stored in a big sack, standing directly next to my couch, to sleep. And so I fell asleep after only a few minutes - almost tipsy by this warming, lovely aura - and was woken up the next morning with tea and a little bread. Still the evening before I communicated that one does not have to make oneself big circumstances because of me. But when it came to tea, they went to a lot of trouble. My gift to the village elders was now in the tea that was served to me - a vanilla tea whose aroma flowed through the entire hut, underlined the tobacco and was discreetly accompanied by the rose. All this aroused associations of cherry tobacco, which, although I am a non-smoker, who doesn't know how to do much with water pipes, prompted me to stay longer. It had to be this combination of vanilla and roses that made me smell it. Anyway... I didn't want to leave here anymore. This warmth, so inviting, so cordial, so cuddly it was, tied me to that place, but I knew it was time to wake up sometime.
Dear Readers,

is that how Afghanistan smells? Do you? I don't know, I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. That was just a fantasy that tried to hide all the horrors in that country. Perhaps I am completely wrong with her, if one fantasy can be wrong, and your associations, images and ideas, my dear readers, are completely different. But as I said ... it is a fantasy and so we leave it at that and perhaps enjoy it together, no matter how utopian it may be in view of the situation in this mysterious country.
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

PMRP12
Creative and unique rose gourmand
This one surprised me with its creative take on a rose gourmand. And not the usual rose and chocolate combo, but rather, an apricot, almond, and vanilla rose. It’s sweet and alluring with bright stone fruit and gentle cinnamon at the opening, and dries down to include an addictive nutty tobacco tonka combo that has me sniffing my wrist all day. This is my favorite rose to date, and a scent I can’t stop thinking about. Highly considering a bottle...
6.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

IrisNobile
Un Rose de Kandahar ...... Symphony of the flowery-spicy fullness .....
your spice ennobles juicy fruits -
your roses enchant the senses -
with you I drop myself -
on a soft bearing -
from musk and vanilla -

I don't really want to write poetry - - but I'm enchanted again - and more than impressed - -
in this case of a scent of roses!! .....
Rose fragrances ........ actually not my desired fragrance - because they were mostly too flowery, harmless, sweet and boring for me .......

The situation is different with this beautiful rose from the Middle East, which, after I have freed her from her Pentagon, passes on the following to my senses ......

Once you have climbed the few steps out of the slightly musty, earthy cellar with big steps and reached the bright garden, whose splendid roses lean luxuriantly and heavily into the light and, together with its full-bodied fruits, impregnate the air - you are reconciled.
Reconciled with the beginning of this fragrance that could frighten some at the moment .......
I suppose it's the patchouli in the base that pushes itself blatantly into the foreground for my nose right from the start and makes a typical and often described, slightly musty impression.
In agreement with an immediately present citric note, it makes itself a bit important, but also withdraws immediately in this intensity, in order to create a wonderful rounding off later on in this concert ........

First come the apricots - - then the roses ;)

When I enter this garden after the subjectively perceived musty intermezzo - I first smell the ripeness of juicy apricots, mixed with the aroma of cinnamon and almonds, which catch the fruitiness of the fragrance somewhat and round it off gourmandig ......... above all at the same time floats a delicate warm spice -, possibly a little bit of a spice. originating from the tobacco, which weaves itself deliciously, the vetiver and the ethereal oil of special Afghan roses from the province Nangarhar, which according to the description to be read also contributes a certain spicy component with its aroma after spices and plums.

The fantastic interaction of the ingredients listed in the pyramid results in a delicately fruity-powdery, minimal spicy event, in which the weakened patch now takes over the part of the powdery effect, and in which the wonderful roses secretly cavort ......
secretly - - .... because they do not determine the perfume superficially, but carry it in a refined way, giving the fragrance a velvety depth and a very noble aura. - - I also think I hear delicate woody tones in between.

As it were at the end of their virtuoso performance, the actors of this great artefact sink under the influence of subtly sweet ambergris on powdered soft musk vanilla cloud and form a fantastic drydown.
And in contrast to my skeptical attitude towards sweet rose waters, this fragrance never gives the impression of any perfume of this species at any stage.

A creation that is absolutely unisex and becirct in its sillage effect, without being exaggerated, a real announcement.
The shelf life extends from day to night. And with the warmth of summer days/nights, the scent of the fragrance bewitches the user and his environment a bit more, in my opinion.

Andy Tauer is probably not in a position to produce this perfume always in a constant quantity - because the oil of these special roses is not available indefinitely .........
ergo - - should one not be afraid of impoverishment - and should it please -, then bunker purchases are worthwhile ;) :)

for the never-ending fragrance concert of the abundance of lush summer gardens ..... :))
8.0 8.0 8.0 6.0/10

Meggi
At least one promising side effect
I'll make it short: I can't cope with Une Rose de Kandahar. I have not lacked tests, always hoping for a learning effect. In vain, I smell invariably a superimposition, juxtaposition, confusion of aromas, which simply do not want to fit to a whole with me.

Bitter almond back flavor (somehow mutating to Tonka) on a layer of Tauer Cream. Diffuse fruit with vague sweetness on a bitter-scratchy base, for which I willingly bow to the indications rose geranium and tobacco. The rose is and remains merely a fruity and sour spot; but it seems as if it is not satisfied with this role and now tries for hours to push itself into the foreground with small teasing - specifically: sharp acidity à la peony. Which reminds me of the occasional (and no less annoying) behaviour of my daughter. Later, an ambry-crumbly almond sweetness takes over, which darkens in the course of the afternoon. I gratefully take note of the familiar Tauer rubber. Patchouli fits, too. To the back there's rubberized ambry vanilla, alternatively vanilla ambergris.

I give up. Nevertheless - a courageous combination, which deserves respect for it alone, is that in any case. Even greater, however, is my respect for all those who obviously feel so comfortable with it. You're better climbers than me!

However, there was a real ray of hope in connection with the fragrance, albeit only as a side effect: A colleague found that 'Une Rose de Kandahar' smelled pleasantly like a bathroom and she would like to try it. I can't understand your impression in no time, but I was happy about your wish. My favourite colleague, the only one here who understands me about perfume (and often beyond), will retire in the foreseeable future. Does this perhaps indicate a succession in time?

I thank MisterE for the rehearsal.
6.0 6.0 6.0 5.5/10

Phi - a simple rose
the progression of scents for me went like this:
1 - very strong acrid rose, the metallic acridity went away quickly however then came a very fresh, green rose.
2 - rose strongly infused with peach.
3 - a very lovely powdery rose finish. very beautiful at the end.
for me this scent did not have very good sillage or longevity - it was mostly gone in 3 hours.
5.0 7.5 7.5 4.0/10

Drseid
Another Tauer, Another Pass...
PHI opens with a slightly fruity apricot, with whiffs of piercing rose and bitter almond. As the composition moves to its early heart the rose remains in support, but moderately powdery, slightly creamy vanilla emerges as co-star with the slightly bitter almond. During the late dry-down the composition is all about the powdery vanilla that turns relatively dry, supported by rooty vetiver, light musk and remnants of the almond losing its bitter facet through the finish. Projection is excellent, as is longevity at nearly 15 hours on skin.

Let's get the positive aspects of PHI out of the way quickly... The composition has some great performance metrics and is obviously well-made. In addition to the impressive performance, the composition has a tolerable late dry-down that is unobtrusive and wearable. OK, now that is out of the way we can focus on the rest of the composition's attributes, and they all disappoint big time. Maybe disappoint is unfair because that implies one expected something better to begin with. I feel guilty panning yet another one of Mr. Tauer's compositions, but something about his trademark dusty vanilla base is just so annoying it ruins every one of them, and PHI is no exception. Also not helping matters is that while rose is supposedly the featured note (and it certainly is in the composition) the bitter almond mixed with the dusty, slightly sweet vanilla really is the focus and it doesn't smell good. I wouldn't go as far as to say the composition is a scrubber, but I did think about it several times, particularly in the key mid-section as the vanilla almond is at its strongest and most displeasing. At the end of the day the only one to blame for my torture in wearing this is me. I haven't found one Tauer composition I have liked yet, so why would I expect any different with PHI? The bottom line is the $160 per 50ml PHI Une Rose de Kandahar has a couple positive attributes easily drowned by an avalanche of negatives, earning it a "poor" rating of 2 stars out of 5 and an avoid recommendation.
5.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Rose of the mountains...
This is a phenomenal fragrance! Really beautiful stuff. So far I have never been disappointed by any fragrance by Andy Tauer. This is my third one. I have to say I am enjoying this one quite a lot.

To me this is typical of most Tauer fragrances. It is a heavy, spicy kind of smell. My first love was his fragrance Le Maroc pour Elle which was inspired by Morocco, and which had heavy amber, jasmine and spices. This one has it's origins in Afghanistan. Kandahar is a very famous city there and close by there are fields near the mountains where poppies are grown (for opium). Afghanistan is not all desert, there are many high mountains with snow and green fields and fruit trees all fed by ice cold mountain water from the rivers and streams. In such a place, roses also grow, a "mountain rose"... and those are the roses used by Tauer in this fragrance.

It opens up with heavy spice, with almonds, tobacco, cinnamon, bergamot. For me the strongest note here is the tobacco. Dry tobacco leaves mixed with spices (the same leaves used to make cigars). I think there is a rose here, but it's not quite a "rose" fragrance. It;s a deep, spicy perfume with a little rose. A very "dusty" rose. I also get the ambergris, tonka bean, vetiver, patchouli and vanilla. It's very dark. If this fragrance had a colour, I think it would be dark red, or like a brown red colour. This is like deep, dark red wine. It has the same feeling to me. Personally I like it, but I know it may be a little heavy and "weird" for some people out there.

Une Rose de Kandahar is a fragrance with quite a unique smell (but not unique if you know the Tauer house). It's a very spicy scent with heavy musk as well as rose. So don't expect a huge rose in your face. But I think it's really beautiful. I sprayed it on earlier and one or two sprays stayed with me for at least 3 hours. It's a very beautiful fragrance. I would say only buy this if you are a huge fan of the Tauer house. Because it is a limited edition (he buys the rose oil from only one field in Afghanistan and each year the roses finish... so he has to wait until the next year to make more perfume). That's why it is a limited edition. One to try and sample first (because of the high price).
7.5 5.0 8.0/10

Dalmajen
A Gentle Rose, Wrapped in Silk.
This is the only Tauer I have tried, that has come across as soft. I was expecting a deep, dark,and rich fragrance, and I was really surprised at how this came across, well, for me anyhow).
The opening is really interesting..I didn't detect any rose first off, it is more of a wisp of gentle smoke,with a touch of the almond and apricot. I have found this slight smoke accord to be present in most of the Tauer perfumes, but this is only a faint touch in this fragrance. I must say, the rose accords are very light, and soft. In his other creation. Une Rose Chypree) my favorite of his rose fragrances, The Rose is very pronounced, and bold. It's almost as if this rose is hiding in the mist, and just peeking through. This fragrance, in my opinion, is very feminine..even though it's classed as a unisex fragrance).The dry down is very soft, as well, and I did re-apply after two hours to have a sort of second round of options. I enjoyed wearing it, but was expecting something much stronger, or perhaps bolder is a better word. Another interesting point, every review I have read on this fragrance has been really varied. Some have said it's really rich, and bold, others have had a similar experience to mine, in that it is a soft scent. It doesn't come across as very sweet, I would say the notes are very nicely balanced. The slight tobacco note is pleasant, and there seems to be just a touch of patchouli..which stays very close to the skin. I didn't find the sillage strong, but it is detectable. I hope to order this in the Tauer Explorer set, as I do like it, Yes, a lovely, but gentle Rose, wrapped in the softest silk.

Marzipan Noir
Opening is a handful.
It starts out unapologetic.
All notes radiating at maximum capacity.
Bitter almond (no sweetness) and apricot made dusty by the tobacco leaves. A faint sparkle from the bergamot.
The tonka balances the patchouli.
No dainty frills.
There's an overall austere mood to it.
There's a strong correlation between it & Rahat Loukoum.
I'm getting a likeness to that supple leather & plum accord in Boxeueses.
But here it's supple leather & almond.
I'm GLAD the rose isn't prominent at all.
We all love roses but there are enough outstanding rose perfumes available.
There is rose and I can tell its not the regular fluffy rose but its not rose centered.

Then an interplay of notes commences.
Here is where Andy's craftsmanship in complexity is most vivid.

The premise is as such:
A bonding of gourmand & noir (leathery resinous accord)
Composition :
The apricot & almond create a marzipan accord. The gourmand aspect.
The tobacco (excessive use of) , geranium & musk make up the noir effect.
This demonstrates Andy's craftsmanship with complex compositions.
It opens with strong presence then harmoniously transitions to its peak purpose -interplay of gourmand & leathery/resinous (dark)- and then settles to a base that is the sum of all its parts.
I'd have named it Marzipan Noir.
5.0 5.0 7.5 9.0/10

PHI - Une Rose de Kandahar
Andy Tauer's latest rose creation is another gem. A gem as such. I don't know what PHI stands for, but I read in his blog that it is a rose scent with precious, natural absolue ingredients ... and therefore a limited edition. The next harvest oil may not turn out the same exact batch. Notes and technical background are not my forte, but what I can put is my impression of this perfume.

It envelops you like a soft cloud. Roses, roses with a touch of slighty bitter brownness ... I suppose the cinnamon, geranium and almond have something to do with that. That takes the edge of a brilliant rose and makes an almost skin scent, so warm and close. It projects only a little, actually I had to spray on a lot, but then it lasts the major part of the day. The beauty is that the sillage and skin smell alike, and I cannot stop stiffing up closely and delight how good it smells.

It does not hit the nose like mainstream perfumes do with a boost of flowerbomb notes and a lot of sweetness, rather it is a soft veil where beautiful, delectable, almost gourmand (caramel candy) notes swirl around also. Tobacco leaves? Maybe. If so, that is one good aromatic soft and subtle tobacco.

The best reviews you will find in Kafka's blog. Refer to that if you really want to know.

If I did not have already similar perfumes, I would buy it when it is available in a Tauer Perfumes Explorer Set. Those are easier for shipping as postal air shipment restrictions hinder the flow.

Thumbs up. Another scent well worthy of Andy Tauer's reputation. I have the feeling that it may become a landmark, a big success.

Exciter76 9 months ago
A composite of Tauer's greatest hits: spices from Eau d'Epices, jammy rose from Rose Flash, leathery fruit from Loretta, etc.+2
Hermesh 3 years ago
Versatile and voluminous: noble rose, sweet and fruity (apricot), slightly vanilla, at the same time spicy (tobacco leaf) and subtly earthy.+2

by IrisNobile
by Berna25
by Shtepa
by Shtepa

Popular Tauer Perfumes

No. 02 - L'Air du Désert Marocain by Tauer Perfumes Au Coeur du Désert by Tauer Perfumes Collectible PHI - Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer Perfumes No. 03 - Lonestar Memories by Tauer Perfumes No. 06 - Incense Rosé by Tauer Perfumes L'Eau by Tauer Perfumes No. 09 - Orange Star by Tauer Perfumes No. 14 - Noontide Petals by Tauer Perfumes No. 01 - Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer Perfumes No. 08 - Une Rose Chyprée by Tauer Perfumes No. 05 - Incense Extrême by Tauer Perfumes Collectible ZETA - A Linden Blossom Theme by Tauer Perfumes Lonesome Rider by Tauer Perfumes No. 04 - Rêverie au Jardin by Tauer Perfumes Pentachord White by Tauer Perfumes No. 07 - Vetiver Dance by Tauer Perfumes No. 11 - Carillon pour un Ange by Tauer Perfumes Cologne du Maghreb by Tauer Perfumes L'Air des Alpes Suisses by Tauer Perfumes No. 10 - Une Rose Vermeille by Tauer Perfumes