№ 03 - Lonestar Memories 2006

№ 03 - Lonestar Memories by Tauer Perfumes
№ 03 - Lonestar Memories is a popular perfume by Tauer Perfumes for women and men and was released in 2006. The scent is leathery-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production.

Andy Tauer

Top Notes Top NotesGreen geranium, Clary sage, Carrot seed
Heart Notes Heart NotesJasmine, Cistus, Leather
Base Notes Base NotesMyrrh, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vetiver

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 28.11.2020.

Smoky leather
I'm not one of those who has to test everything that Tauer brings out. Nevertheless, I recognize the quality of scents like the Moroccan desert, even if it is not my hunting ground, and so I have only followed Tauer on the sidelines. Now I received the Lonestar Memories as a response to my last blog as a suggestion that it could be something. Well then, then curtain up:

The opening reminds me of Cuir Andalou only without the oily and somewhere really raw note. From the beginning it smells high-quality and carefully worked out but on a moderate level. Smoking leather? Yes. But: trimmed to be extremely wearable. Which means nothing bad. Somewhere this is also a more tame Burning Barbershop, only this time the leather aprons are burned.

But one thing at a time: the leather dominates the fragrance or pulls the strings. The cistus, which I associate with Tauer anyway because of its prominent role in the Moroccan desert, is not a stingy species. This smoky scent comes from the myrrh on the one hand and the cistus on the other. One should not forget that it smells like labdanum, i.e. resinous. The myrrh itself rather provides for a spicy-warm character which is also perceptible here. This extreme herbaceousness, which leads to this smoky impression in the melange, is carried along by the Muscat Sage, which is also evident in the fact that this extreme gradually fades away, calling the top notes goodbye.

The further Lonestar Memories progresses, the less it resembles Cuir Andalou and the more it smells like Burning Barbershop only not as intense and not as complex. It goes more in the direction of pungent notes underlaid with smoke whereas the smoke of the BB is more like a veil. Nevertheless, the fragrance as a whole exerts a certain fascination, this smoking leather bewitches the senses.

We are far from birch tar and similar smoke here. From intensive leather smells likewise. But it does not always have to be that way. This scent is of high quality and artfully worked so that in the end, despite the mentioned "criticism", I can't help but appreciate Lonestar Memories. Tauer has managed to work up a smoking smoke in an interesting and refined way so that it doesn't seem too monotonous in the long run, which is what disturbs me, for example with Incendo by La Curie.

Texas Summer
What more can you say about Andy than hasn't already been said? His fragrances are amazing and LdDM was the first niche I fell love with and still my most complimented-on fragrance.

Lonestar Memories, on my skin, starts off with smokey sharp carrot seed co-mingling with the whispiness of Clary Sage. It's intense, a little dirty, and very smoky. Into the drydown, the smokiness lingers, the almost suede-like leather amps up (Hello cistus) and Myrrh reveals itself in its ancient mystical being. Vetiver, sharp and dry arrives with hints of sweet coumarin and creamy sandalwood.

Wild west
Many perfume "colleagues" use to criticize Touer's work, idk why, Tauer is really likable and transparent person, probably because of bad sprayers (they are really bad, but that doesn't matter when using perfume)(if he decide to change the bottles and caps i think that the whole concept would lost the sense) or because of high prices? Well, specifically 03 lonestar memories through the official website costs 90 €, I wouldn't say that it's expensive, it's even cheap for the quality of the liquid that we get, and that's primary, isn't it?
a tipycal example of Indie house, Mr.Andy founded a brend for which he makes perfumes, he pours glass by himself, forges tin, fill the bottles, then all that put in a cart and then in go to the post office to ship a products.....
One of the few perfumers, I know just 2of them (the other one is totaly anonymous (for now)) Tauer is always available for his clients, the man I have messaged him several times via Instagram, each time he responded me very quick... even though if you just wish him a good day via Instagram, they will kindly reply and wish you a good day too.

* Lonestar Memories

A similar thing happened to me as with L'air du desert Marocain, strange positiv shock during the first sniff, 03 arrived to me in a plastic sample, i was looked at the notes, I could guess everything...but smell lik this? Definitly not!
and at first smell, nothing was clear to me ... very intresting and nice but, what about notes ... what about smells ...? Just an aggressive blow of some sweetenes and wilderness, which That vibe I believe can make many people feeling dizzy.
For sure this is one of the bravest aka more extreme fragrance I ever wore.
I noticed that I find myself close mostly in leather fragrances, 03 is certainly one of my favorite leather fragrances, endless hedonism....

The real scent of the "real man" ..
The beautifully evoked the smells of the wild west, cowboys, horses, leather saddles, belts, jeans, boots and the smoke of barbecue.
The balsamic leather scent, Its recognizable Tauers work, shares similarities with his brother 02, and a little with Amouage Interlude men, that leather resin part is similar to them.
Simply definition: benzoin, leather, olibanum, labdanum, myrrh and tonka ...but although that doesn't really mean much...

herbal animal opening can rejects many of audience, for me that part is the most beautiful, it got its final form after a few hours, when that chsotic sweet animal acords goes into a semi-old School labdanum soapy style on the Tauers recognizable base, in that phase it is not impossible to get a some compliments.... however, this is a perfume which i wear exclusively for my personal pleasure.
Longevity and sillage perfect...anytime anywhere....

I would like to give this perfumer the golden medal of "modern perfumery art" without a doubt!

After all, this fragrance is definitely not for everyone, but although it will certainly be interesting to all lovers of menly leather fragrances, a highly recommendation for all those who respect a Tauer artistic work!
Mad Max
Anyone who knows the film series about the daring warhorse Mad Max knows about the universe that George Miller created around his protagonist. A barren desert landscape, where Max faces a lawless rocker gang that neither ruthlessly takes action against anyone who gets in their way. Max himself - a former policeman - also goes through a process of increasing brutalization and external neglect during the films. Unkempt, dressed in old leather rags smeared with oil, he dashes through the barren, desolate desert landscape on his motorcycle. He is a true Lonesome Rider, a loner through and through. Looking at the last part of the series - Fury Road - he finds it increasingly difficult to interact with other people. He's just not good at talking.

Lonestar Memories reminds us exactly of this world and its sad anti-hero Mad Max. A lonely star in a dark world that is threatening to sink further and further. The smell - you could already guess it now - smells at the first attempt, I can't say it any other way: bad! The top note is like a punch right in the face. Just like Max took a bad beating at Fury Road. Carrot, leather and rose as well as proper myrrh give you the feeling of having a dirty earth-leather smoke mixture thrown in your face. The dirty first impression should also last for a while - 20 minutes - only then it slowly becomes tame, although tame is not a word that should be used in connection with Lonestar Memories! What remains is leather, smoke a little spice and some wood. He still retains the impression of being dirty. However, now no longer unpleasantly dirty, rather daring and attractive. Besides, he looks very masculine and potent, just like Mad Max! When I smell it, I think of worn leather jackets, cigarettes, beards, bars, motorcycles and scuffles.

You have now learned that we are dealing with a roughneck among the scents and now ask yourselves surely, can one wear this at all?

Why certainly! I find it - after the second attempt - fascinating! I even had it on at work. Just put on a leather jacket, a t-shirt underneath and slightly washed jeans and the impression is perfect and round. In the face then still another three-day beard and finished. But if you're into the cuddly leather scents like the Ombre Leather or similar, it might be too heavy for you.

In terms of durability and sillage, there is nothing to be said for it. He's brute! With me he lasted 14 hours and radiated well for 6-8 hours, but no wonder with the encores. So be careful with the dosage, you don't want to scare anyone ;)

So if you love Mad Max and you want to smell what he looks like, then hit it or test it. I for one will probably buy it for myself, as I find it incredibly unique. In my opinion it is a bit similar to the T-Rex from the zoologists, but it is rounder and finer at the back.

On that note, have a good one!

Not just for cowboys....
Lonestar Memories by Andy Tauer

When I first smelled Lonestar Memories some years back, I thought too masculine, too smoky, what is this? Even the description scared me:

"The scent of a lonesome rider, wearing old jeans and leather jacket, after a long day on the horse in the dry woods, preparing his coffee on the open, smoky fire."

It seemed far too manly for the ladies and I always considered it the most challenging Tauer, and one I would just have to envy others for appreciating.

(Insert screeching brakes sound effect and fast forward to fall of 2017)

....What??

Was I mad? It's gorgeous! And now that my nose has become acclimated to unisex fragrances over the years and Andy's style and "Tauerade", I realize how I almost missed out on such a gorgeous fragrance. Smoky leather, resins, labdanum, sandalwood and florals. The dry down is beautiful and comforting and so "real".

And no, it isn't just for cowboys. It's for cowgirls, too. And even people who have never even been on a horse. It's simply a beautiful fragrance. Saddle, campfire, and Marlboro Man not required.

For the manly man
To me this seems like a very masculine scent, even though it seems to be categorized as unisex. Very smoky at first with an underlying whiff of celery (that must be the sage and carrot seed), and underneath a faint sweetness. Super interesting and complex. I wouldn't wear it for myself, but I'd definitely put it on my man.

Yes "smoky carnation"
I'm so loose for birch. This wood has great impact on me and I'm so greedy for its leathery tarry darkness. 03 Lonestar Memories is a tatterdemalion smell verging to famous American apothecary natural perfumes, which is a keen and professional detailed translation.

03 LM opens pungent and tousled leathery, like someone survived from a bloody thunder storm and rain. It is integrated, solid, pharmaceutical, with massive volume of leather and resins. But not dry, it's wet and smelly that bears slight yummy taste inside. 03 LM is a strange fragrance, undeniably repulsive in the first try but so charming and desirable as you go with.

It has marvelous longevity; about 12 hours on my skin; so as great projection.
9/10

cowboy fetish
Tar, carrot seed, clary sage and wood with flowers place Lonestar Memories somewhere beyond leather. Knize Ten and Etat Libre’s Rien are mild in comparison. LM has a much more burnt quality than these two. ‘Tar’ and ‘burnt’ do to an extent add up to notes of snubbed cigarette and charcoal but the scent ultimately LM brings to mind is burnt wood. Not the smoke of burning wood, but old campfire. LM is nowhere near a daily fragrance for me. I honestly can’t even say that all moments of LM are pleasant. But it’s worth the experience of the top notes to get to the basenotes which lose the feel of charred things and petrochemicals. The base centers on a handsome severity that only a unsmiling, unsweetened floral can give

LM is similar to Tauer’s earlier l’Air de Désert Marocain, but far less comfortable. The amber and incense of l’Air are replaced with rubber and tar in LM. By the heart, LM smells equally earthy and woody tied together by the almost sweet rubber note. The drydown is the best part, though. The floral note (jasmine? carnation?), which really only appears well into the heart, lasts until the finish where LM seems like a dry, smoky, floral tea.

I don’t wear LM very often, but it makes me think when I do.

BielwenassBielwenass 1 month ago
Brutal leather treated with something pungent.
ItchynoseItchynose 11 months ago
An opening blast of leather, cistus and clary sage, with a short lived sweetness that soon turns earthy and very animalic.

by Kylesa
by Amber9
by Peyf
by Peyf

Popular Tauer Perfumes

Au Coeur du Désert by Tauer Perfumes № 02 - L'Air du Désert Marocain (Eau de Toilette Intense) by Tauer Perfumes Collectible PHI - Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer Perfumes Attar AT by Tauer Perfumes L'Eau by Tauer Perfumes L'Air des Alpes Suisses by Tauer Perfumes № 08 - Une Rose Chyprée by Tauer Perfumes № 06 - Incense Rosé by Tauer Perfumes № 14 - Noontide Petals by Tauer Perfumes L'Oudh by Tauer Perfumes № 01 - Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer Perfumes № 05 - Incense Extrême by Tauer Perfumes Les Années 25 by Tauer Perfumes Collectible ZETA - A Linden Blossom Theme by Tauer Perfumes Lonesome Rider by Tauer Perfumes Cologne du Maghreb by Tauer Perfumes № 09 - Orange Star by Tauer Perfumes Sotto la Luna - Tuberose by Tauer Perfumes Pentachord White by Tauer Perfumes Phtaloblue by Tauer Perfumes