No. 09 - Orange Star (2010)

No. 09 - Orange Star by Tauer Perfumes

No. 09 - Orange Star is a perfume by Tauer Perfumes for women and men and was released in 2010. The scent is citrusy-fruity. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Andy Tauer

Top Notes Top NotesClementine, Mandarin
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrange blossom, Lemon grass
Base Notes Base NotesAmbergris, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 17.02.2019

8.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Best citrus ever!
I can say this is one of the best citrus parfum I've ever had. It is so fresh and relaxing! Sillage and longevity is enourmous! It is worth every penny!
7.5 10.0 10.0 4.0/10

Beautiful and clean
The sillage is a BEAST. Use a light hand with this one.

I pretty much get a really lovely laundry detergent. It's fresh, clean, and soapy. It's well blended and I was unable to pick out any one note over the others, it's just a beautiful blend of citrusy florals to make a beautiful laundry detergent. You can definitely feel the quality and artistry that went into this scent. It's lasts forever which is surprising for an orange blossom based perfume. It is very beautiful.

It's a lot of money to spend to smell like clean clothes though...

May
2014
7.5 10.0 9.0/10

My funniest perfume
This is maybe one of the most humorous perfumes I've tried, twisting between the citrus (a deep and summery mandarine) and the flowers: orange blossom and violet, over a rich ambergris base. Yes, I felt the violet in this perfume, and what an amazing violet it is, transforming this perfume into a modern classic! First time I tested it I was in Madrid and that afternoon became magic. My spanish heartbreaker.
Once again, Andy Tauer made perfection.

orange amber
I've written about a couple of orange perfumes recently. (Bond no 9 Little Italy and Atelier Cologne Orange Sanguine) Neither one of them was satisfying, and both did orange an injustice. Come to think of it, I do know another solution to the orange problem perfumery. Robert Piguet Baghari seems to keep a shadowy, candied orange alive forever but this kind of magic seems to have a Faustian quality to it, so I'll leave it be.

I think Andy Tauer has found a solution to the orange dilemma.

The two perfumes that failed the orange tried to treat it like a lemon and make Eau de Cologne out of it.  Citrus is bright, and citrus olfactory notes are volatile.  Focusing on the lightness but trying to make it last feels a bit desperate, like the search for an eternal appearance of youth.  I call this the red shoes approach.  Keep dancing and maybe you'll convince yourself of eternal youth.

Tauer’s solution seems more realistic but no more prosaic, and likely more repeatable to anybody who would care to investigate (ie. imitate).  He neither candies the orange, nor tries to make a cologne out of it.  He preserves it.  In stretching out the life of the orange, Orange Star trades some of the fruit’s tartness for a luscious hint of salt, but in finding endurance it also appears to have concentrated the flavor.  Playing with depth and thickness instead of sweetness, Tauer fastens citrus to amber, and finds a middle ground that is both refined and lasting. With amber’s inherent lushness Orange Star glows more than it shines.  Perhaps it has less wattage than a short-lived cologne, but it also has a lithe, like sun-kissed-skin quality that makes it both playful and kinda' hot.  I’d love to smell this on someone else.
10.0 7.5 10.0 8.0/10

A Magical Orange
I especially wanted to try this particular Tauer fragrance, as I am not really too fond of citrus scents,in general. I wanted to give this an all day wearing, and see how it develops. I was quite surprised at the very beginning, as I could distinctly pick out the mandarin straight away. It lists clementine as well, and this appeared a bit later. The first 30 to 40 minutes was all about the oranges, and very nice sun drenched type oranges. Almost like walking through an orange grove with the hot sun on your back. I picked up an occasional wisp of smoke, it seemed to just drift in and out, which makes this scent more interesting. An hour or so, into the wearing, A very woodsy note appeared. It really complimented the oranges. I seem to think the smokey accord could be due to the violet note, but can't be sure). This fragrance has wonderful lasting power, just like all of the Tauer perfumes). The dry down was nice, but not spectacular. I could detect ambergris, but the patchouli and vanilla were somewhat weak. I feel this is quite a fresh fragrance, and like others have stated, good for summer wearing. This didn't appear soapy to me at all, nor did it have a cleaning agent smell, it presented the oranges In a very professional way. This is definitely a good unisex fragrance, as it isn't Sweet, or too masculine. It has a softness about it, which I find very interesting for a citrus fragrance. I will be happy to wear this sometimes, for a change, and Not afraid to say, it is quite a Magical Orange!

Pansylady
a different shade of orange
Orange Star is a bit puzzling- usually, on me, orange blossom notes tend to shout so loudly that the others get drowned out- (eg. Poeme, La Chasse aux Papillons)...

but in this oddity, orange blossom seems to be hiding- instead, I get a deep honeyed wood and ambergris- the overall effect is hypnotic. Alien Liqueur is similar, but Orange Star seems to stick around longer

Potency and longevity are outstanding- on a par with anything from Serge Lutens and Thierry Mugler
7.5 10.0 5.0/10

Orange flower soap
Orange Star starts off with the fresh, sweet/tart smell of mandarin. Like the essential oils of the bitter and blood orange, the orange in Orange Star has a warmer, richer and slightly more spicy/floral feel to it than the more common "sweet" orange. I also feel like I am not only smelling the juice of the fruit in this perfume, but also a bit of the orange tree's leaves and green wood.

This is not a light eau de cologne-type citrus scent, but a more substantial "perfumy" interpretation. Of course, the scent of orange blossom is a natural accompaniment to the fruity mandarin note and I find the amber base to mesh well with fruit's delicate warmth and spiciness.

Unfortunately, this perfume becomes much soapier as time goes on and the natural orange top note disipates (as citrus top notes tend to do). At about the ten or fifteen minute mark, this perfume really starts to smell like an orange/orange flower scented laundry soap on my skin. In fact, I was wearing this in the car with my daughter and her friend, and they both said I smelled like a soap and candle store (out of the mouths of babes..)

I'm not saying Orange Star smells bad per se. But I really think I could have gotten the same effect by layering some Clean Fresh Laundry with some Pacifica Blood Orange for a lot less money. Too bad, I do appreciate a perfumer taking an atypical approach to a citrus-based scent. Just didn't work for me.

Serlo 24 months ago
Sugared orange peel on frankincense. Frankincense, although not listed, dominates the drydown.
Or is it just the infamous Tauerade?+2
6.0

Popular Tauer Perfumes

No. 02 - L'Air du Désert Marocain by Tauer Perfumes Au Coeur du Désert by Tauer Perfumes Collectible PHI - Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer Perfumes No. 03 - Lonestar Memories by Tauer Perfumes No. 06 - Incense Rosé by Tauer Perfumes L'Eau by Tauer Perfumes No. 09 - Orange Star by Tauer Perfumes No. 14 - Noontide Petals by Tauer Perfumes No. 08 - Une Rose Chyprée by Tauer Perfumes No. 01 - Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer Perfumes No. 05 - Incense Extrême by Tauer Perfumes Collectible ZETA - A Linden Blossom Theme by Tauer Perfumes Lonesome Rider by Tauer Perfumes No. 04 - Rêverie au Jardin by Tauer Perfumes No. 07 - Vetiver Dance by Tauer Perfumes Pentachord White by Tauer Perfumes Cologne du Maghreb by Tauer Perfumes No. 11 - Carillon pour un Ange by Tauer Perfumes No. 10 - Une Rose Vermeille by Tauer Perfumes Sotto la Luna - Gardenia by Tauer Perfumes