Sotto la Luna - Gardenia

(2014)
Sotto la Luna - Gardenia by Tauer Perfumes
Where to buy?
Sotto la Luna - Gardenia is a perfume by Tauer Perfumes for women and was released in 2014. The scent is flowery-powdery. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Andy Tauer

Top Notes Top NotesGardenia bud
Heart Notes Heart NotesGardenia, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesGardenia, Jasmine, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by Berna25, last update on 02.12.2016

jtd
Helpful Review    4 Awards
Sotto la Luna - Gardenia
There are generally two challenges to making a gardenia perfume. The first is that it requires a complete fabrication since the flower itself yields no aromatic essence. The second is balancing gardenia’s heady and sweet notes with its fleshy, salty, umami underbelly.

Another hurdle, though, is matching the specificity of the appearance of the flower and its scent. There are a lot of things in this world that smell like a rose, jasmine or lemon. Nothing else smells like a gardenia, and so for those who can see, the fragrance and the look of the flower are intertwined. If in re-creating the scent of a gardenia the visual image isn't also summoned, then the representation is incomplete.

Bolstering the association between scent and the visual appearance of the flower, and therefore adding to this challenge, is the way the look of the flower and its fragrance suggest each other. The creaminess of the scent matches exactly the matte texture and luminosity of the petal. The creepy, fleshy quality of the aroma is enhanced by the flower’s likeness to cyanotic or vampiric skin. The hint of blue color to the creamy white matches the cool, liquid quality of the aroma. Gardenia has a visual/olfactory mirroring similar to the way sound and meaning echo each other in onomatopoeia.

Tauer clears the first two challenges easily. The top notes of gardenia smell like a particular slice of the scent of a gardenia. It is an abstraction, as any attempt at re-creating a gardenia will be. The success here is in the point of view. It is a perfectly proportioned sketch of the flower, not a photorealistic image. It stimulates your imagination, and engages you to complete the image for yourself. As for the umami, Tauer gives us a dusty mushroom, one that suggests that dank dark place where a mushroom grows as much as a mushroom itself.

As for the challenge of the sensory mirroring, Tauer shines. The scent of Sotto di Luna Gardenia is like a gardenia under a black light. The aroma suggests spiced cream, a cool touch, a bone marrow blue-tinted white. Over time the specific appearance of a gardenia goes away but the shape holds. The precise abstraction remains, and the surface tension between sweetness and meatiness, creaminess and dustiness lasts through drydown. The gardenia itself is gone, but the angular lushness that characterize it remains. A wonderful 'morning after' scent.
Bottle 10.0/10
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 7.0/10
Helpful Review    7 Awards
This Baby Sings The Blues..
I had to wear my sample several times, before I could write my review. I was so excited when this fragrance came out, and couldn't wait to receive my sample. I even put off purchasing my lovely LADDM, as I was afraid that I might fall in love with this one even more! First of all I want to say I gave this several tries, in different weather conditions etc.
The opening is very green, bordering on bitter. A tightly closed green Gardenia bud, drifting in and out of a smokey background. This lasts a bit too long for my liking, and made me feel almost sad. When the middle notes finally turn up, they aren't able to overcome the greenness of the opening. The rose is very light, and I get a hint of jasmine, but stays firmly in the background. The base notes are the best thing about the whole structure of the fragrance. The dry down is very pleasant, and the Gardenia then becomes creamy, and sparkles. I feel the sandalwood and tonka bean sort of save the day for this fragrance. I am a huge fan of Andy Tauer fragrances, and I wanted to express my true feelings for this perfume, as I perhaps had put it on a huge pedestal before I had even tried it! My anticipation of having a great gardenia fragrance was bought down a notch. I feel many people will adore this scent, particularly, if you enjoy green fragrances, with a smokey vibe. This Gardenia certainly fits the bill, for Billie Holiday always wore this flower, while she sang the blues. Some of the notes are sad, and some lift your soul.

Popular Tauer Perfumes

No. 02 - L'Air du Désert Marocain by Tauer Perfumes Collectible PHI - Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer Perfumes No. 06 - Incense Rosé by Tauer Perfumes No. 03 - Lonestar Memories by Tauer Perfumes Collectible ZETA - A Linden Blossom Theme by Tauer Perfumes No. 01 - Le Maroc pour Elle by Tauer Perfumes No. 14 - Noontide Petals by Tauer Perfumes No. 08 - Une Rose Chyprée by Tauer Perfumes No. 05 - Incense Extrême by Tauer Perfumes No. 09 - Orange Star by Tauer Perfumes Au Coeur du Désert by Tauer Perfumes No. 04 - Rêverie au Jardin by Tauer Perfumes Cologne du Maghreb by Tauer Perfumes Pentachord White by Tauer Perfumes No. 07 - Vetiver Dance by Tauer Perfumes No. 11 - Carillon pour un Ange by Tauer Perfumes Lonesome Rider by Tauer Perfumes No. 10 - Une Rose Vermeille by Tauer Perfumes Pentachord Verdant by Tauer Perfumes Sotto la Luna - Gardenia by Tauer Perfumes