Lapidus pour Homme (1987) Eau de Toilette

Lapidus pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Ted Lapidus

Lapidus pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Ted Lapidus for men and was released in 1987. The scent is spicy-woody. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is being marketed by Groupe Bogart.

Martin Gras

Top Notes Top NotesPineapple, Basil, Bergamot, Tarragon, Juniper berry, Lemon, Lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesHoney, Orris root, Jasmine, Caraway, Lily-of-the-valley, Petitgrain, Pine, Rose, Rosewood
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Musk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Tonka bean, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 10.01.2019

8.0 8.0 8.5/10

"Deadly said" live longer
There are scents that are believed to have disappeared into the nirvana of time. Displaced by Modern Fragrances and Maistream and gone forever. But they still exist, even though I happened to come across this beautiful fragrance: "Lapidus Pour Homme" from the 80s, which is probably still being produced. An exchange gave me this surprise. Which I have selected again on the basis of the "fragrance pyramid" as being suitable for my nose. But the pure "coming into question" has molted in favour of "being enthusiastic".
It is a very complex Fougère-like fragrance wonder, which is floral as well as woody and green and just as "fernig", spicy and "coniferig-moosig". It has a good-natured and very powerful character, which is extremely multifaceted. It is neither only "forest and field", nor "flower bed" or "spice shelf" or however a "woodmichel with moss at the feet".... It's all the good things you can wish for others and yourself and all in one.
Forest walk companion, damp autumn or spring air, a colorful meadow with flowers and herbs, a warm blanket for cold days ( woods, tonka and amber), a pick-me-up for tired "brothers/sisters" (lavender and pine) or simply a little olfactory, colorful joy in the grey monotony of everyday life.
And alive. VERY LIFE!!!
No corpse in the vastness of the fragrance cemetery, where many a good perfume lies buried, assassinated by reformulation and renewal freaks of the fragrance industry and their henchmen (Ifra)....
8.0 7.0 8.0 9.5/10

Terente
Far from what it was once...
Review for batch code 17H24, august 2017.
The power of this one is a pale memory of what was once LPH. Fortunatelly the smell is almost the same. A smell for serious and strong men. A complex fragrance with dominants of honey and tobacco. At the beginning it has also a strong powdery opening with pineapple, patchouli and balsamic notes. Unfortunately the beast mode disappeared: it lasts far fewer than the vintage LPH and the sillage is mediocre. I used it on fabrics and 7-8 hours later it was nothing to smell. I didn't believe in "theory of conspiration" applied at perfumes, but, God, they watered down this beast and made it an average competitor.
Merry Christmas y'all!
8.0 8.0 8.0 7.5/10

Konsalik
Meet me halfway (at the gym)
Powerhouse Review #4

Since this is already the fourth Powerhouse fragrance that made it onto my dissection table, I thought to myself: Why not make a row out of it? After all, there are still many treasures to be found in this area - and my interest in this fragrance DNA, which was so popular between about 1978 and 1989, remains unbroken.

During the first test run I was still convinced that this review would manage with only a few lines, as Lapidus pour Homme actually seemed to me like a mixture of YSL's "Kouros" and Cartier's "Santos" in a ratio of 40 to 60: A discreet but noticeable shot of the "urinosity" of Kouros, but without its soapiness, combined with the cinnamon-like gingerbread warmth with which Santos envelops the wearer - without, however, reaching its heaviness. Some kind of late '80s powerhouse best-of for everyone? Considering the very reasonable price certainly an obvious thought. But then the equation didn't quite work out and my distrust of my own miserable fragrance library in my head didn't allow me to handle Lapidus so snobbishly.

For even if the impression outlined above has not proved to be entirely wrong, this fragrance has a number of nuances that ultimately make it more interesting. Thus Lapidus shows a strange, enigmatic freshness over the entire course of the fragrance, which I cannot translate other than with "retro sportiness". This basic tone reminds me a little of my childhood sports shower gels, which translated this theme into fragrance in a different way than today's shower gels. A tart coolness reminiscent of fresh sweat and mint. In the fragrance pyramid there is nothing to be found of mint, which is why I strongly suspect that pineapple, lemon, lavender, pine and last but not least caraway have their share in this closed "aerobic freshness" occurring as a single note. The durability is also sporty (two euros into the Gerhard-Delling-Schweinderl...), whereby Lapidus runs in contrast to the more persistent Santos rather half marathon: After 5-6 hours it becomes very close.

It's a funny coincidence that the trashy bottle, with a little imagination, is actually reminiscent of an eighties shower gel bottle. And indeed, if you're looking for a less massive, more daytime "sports version" of a classic Powerhouse fragrance, this might be the place to find it. It should be noted, however, that I find Lapidus in its fragrance signature to be much more clearly "retro" than the other fragrances mentioned here, which - at least to my mind - are a bit more timeless. Lapidus is dated. And I like it!

For your information here is my catchy soundtrack while writing this review: Simply enter "This aerobic video wins everything" on YouTube. Complaints please to my mailbox...
9.0 9.0 10.0 9.0/10

bamm - seriously?,
it was almost a bit embarrassing for me to describe or wear such scents. I'm actually over the age thing and this 80-90s feeling, incl. macho attitude, I thought.
But to be honest, today, when people are perfumed, about 70% m/w walk around with more glands/sugar/wadding/sugar/döner spice/WC stone scents or oud nuclear bombs than this could ever be. With TL fragrances (I know 3 m/w) I always have the following association with the first spraying (God the righteous, I will never wear that). But I never put them away, and at some point I spray them on myself and I have dozens of associations in my head; I know that, I knew who they were and above all at some point; not so bad at all. Then comes: not at all bad and not at all annoying or artificial or exhausting and then sometime; very horny and incredibly wearable. At first they all seem very strict and later on they are actually very tinted and very interesting. So it can go in life, with many things .. haha.
It begins with a nuclear lemon pineapple explosion with WC stone (s.Versace PH) with old-fashioned beeswax Odeur, which initially reminded me more of a Brut Konzetrat - until that sits down takes so its time. But even then I was almost ashamed to have this smell on me. But gradually came the habituation, and you need it for TL. If you can or want to get through it, you will be rewarded with a fantastical fragrance that lasts so long that it is unbelievable not to be obtrusive. Even the initial lemon/pineapple cocktail can still be clearly heard after more than 10 hours, flanked by lily of the valley and underlaid by very shallow, but almost dangerously good smelling woods and shallow dark mysterious spices, which never turn too much into oriental (alá YSL opium). The leg wax note is also there, but very unoffensive and also the cinnamon holds back very gently, thank God. From old-fashioned or 80 -90s feeling in the drydown no more trace - this fragrance is still today the most miles ahead. For me a masterpiece, which comes at night perfectly to the validity. If the oils would be better a Tucken, I would give 100%, here the prices must have been respected with the purchase, with 15 EUR for 100ml understandably. Wear it. No one should be ashamed.
8.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

Dandy Couros
The resemblance to Kouros cannot be denied. The same animalic-soapy theme. The implementation, on the other hand, varies considerably. Playful, extroverted and almost shrill, the Lapidus comes with its almost overloaded fruit and honey fullness. Moving to the Club like 'what up, I got a big cock'. Dandyboy Kouros aka Ted Lapidus Pour Homme. And he stays in the club a long time. He danced a good six hours in a tiger coat until he had enough.
The Kouros, on the other hand, remains comparatively serious and strict. He's the respectable one. Masculine and broad-legged both come along. Even Ted can't deny that despite his dandy demeanor. I noticed a similar relationship between two fragrance brothers at the time with Joop! Homme and Jaipur.
A great dirty-fresh-fruity men's fragrance with a good shelf life, in which the little bit of "too much" is almost used as a stylistic device. Too much, on the other hand, is not the price at all, but a real hit (around 20 to 30 euros / 100 ml).
6.0 9.0 10.0 9.5/10

Carlitos01
A scent for tough older boys
This is an alluring complex, refined, old school, beasty fragrance.
Great for night time and cold weather.
Both my wife and I love it so I don't need to use it only on my own. For me it's an example of a distinguished powerful scent for a successful young or mature man.
Upon initial spray, it comes on quite bold and classy. The notes are citrusy and fruity in the opening. Half a minute later you receive an avalanche of notes including sweet honey, incense, and other well composed notes that really lead you to love this fragrance. You feel like you are in the presence of a old massive train that is just throwing tons of lovable different notes that blend together in a masterized symphony.
Its longevity is easily 14+ hours with 2 sprays. Don't over spray or it may become intrusive to the people around you due to its heavy powerhouse sillage. You get a very lovable dry down with a strong sweet tobacco note backed up by the inevitable amber and patchouli.
In terms of longevity it's a beast and if you over spray (meaning more than 3 sprays) you will kill all the natural life around you and will end up still smelling this masterpiece 24 hours and two showers later.
This EDT smells expensive and and in line with what you would expect from a Lapidus/Bogart beasty fragrance.
It is indeed a very nice juice and one of a kind. It does not pretend to clone anything and I like it that way with its proper individuality.

My rates:
Scent opening: 9.0 (my judgement)
Scent dry down: 9.0 (my judgement)
Longevity: 9.5 (14+ hours)
Sillage: 9.5 (fills a room with heavy projection.)
Uniqueness: 8.5 (you do get some vibes of other old school fragrances like Boss Number One, Givenchy Gentleman or Joop but not really being similar to any of them)
Usability: 7.0 ( If you use it in the summer you will be considered an alien. Use it in cold or mild to cold weather, either day or night.)
Versatility: 8.5 (If you feel confortable with an oriental spicy woody power house old scholl fragrance (I do) you may well use it almost everywhere provided that you don't overspray. Exceptions - beach, workout and the dog pound; astray dogs tend to bark for hours if you approach them wearing 3 sprays of TLPH)
Compliments: 8.5 (More than expected for the price it costs)
Quality: 7.5 (great but a bit synthetic.)
Presentation: 6.5 (many people like it; in my opinion the bottle is tacky and even worst than the "Black Extreme" and and the "Gold" editions)
Price: 10.0 (13 Euros plus taxes and shipping)

Overall rating: 8.50/10,0 ------ up to 5 = avoid it;
------------------------------------------- between 5 and 6 = under average;
------------------------------------------- between 6 and 7 = average;
------------------------------------------- between 7 and 8 =above average;
------------------------------------------- between 8 and 9 = recomended;
------------------------------------------- bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
I do recomend this fragrance.
5.0 5.0 10.0 6.0/10

Still heavy
No doubt a "powerhouse" of the 80s, in the same line of Kouros.

Fortunately remains potent, seems not to have suffered so much with the reformulations.

The aroma really brings me to the Kouros, but without animalic note. Actually it is more sweet and incredibly stronger on my skin.

I mostly feel the note of honey mixed with tobacco and spices, with a touch of incense.

No doubt this is an exceptional fragrance and it still retains its character, originality and power.

Length: more than 12 hours.
Projection: medium-high.
Price: excellent cost/benefit.
5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Sniffer Calibration?
After reading the other reviews and checking out the listed notes, I think I may need a sniffer calibration. So many of the notes I don't smell at all, and I get notes that aren't listed. With that note of olfactorial confusion, let's get down to the dissection!

Lapidus Pour Homme goes on in an old-school way: mint, spices, incense, eucalyptus, and something aromatic. I'm no fan of the old school, but this is more retro than old-school, or perhaps just old enough to be cool and not smell dated.

Sometimes it amps up in the projection, sent into the 3' range by sweaty cumin; sometimes it just meanders along. A bit later, around the 2 hour mark, something mildly aromatic comes out, and sometimes holds hands with storax. The patchouli follows with some spices; or an oud aroma comes out, mingled with the mint. It lasts at least eight hours. The effect in most of these stages is one of confident masculinity, fraught with a little bit of danger and mystery.

Lapidus Pour Homme is a compelling scent but it's quite variable. I know what oud smells like and this fragrance gives it off, but it's nowhere in the notes. I've used only the mini (which is a splash, not a spray), so apparently that lacks a lot of the oomph that the sprayer gives you.

Verdict: worth trying for a little retro aggression.
2.5 5.0 5.0 5.0/10

Strong opening with Less Projection
Strong opening but less projection. It projects only for an hour. It reminds Bogart One Man Show Golden Edition.

Carlitos01 13 months ago

by MrNiceGuy
by Keppy
by Keppy

Popular Ted Lapidus

Altamir (Eau de Toilette) by Ted Lapidus WhiteSoul by Ted Lapidus Lapidus pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Ted Lapidus BlackSoul Imperial (Eau de Toilette) by Ted Lapidus Création (1984) (Eau de Toilette) by Ted Lapidus Vu (Eau de Toilette Concentrated) by Ted Lapidus Ted Lapidus pour Homme (1978) (Eau de Toilette) by Ted Lapidus Lapidus pour Homme Black Extreme by Ted Lapidus Rumba Passion by Ted Lapidus TL pour Lui (Eau de Toilette) by Ted Lapidus Fantasme by Ted Lapidus Silk Way by Ted Lapidus Lapidus Woman by Ted Lapidus BlackSoul (Eau de Toilette) by Ted Lapidus Rumba (2009) by Ted Lapidus Ted Lapidus pour Homme (1999) (Eau de Toilette) by Ted Lapidus WhiteSoul Gold & Diamonds by Ted Lapidus Fou d'Elle by Ted Lapidus Envol (Parfum) by Ted Lapidus Oud Noir by Ted Lapidus