Bois d'Iris by The Different Company
Bottle Design: Thierry de Baschmakoff

Bois d'Iris is a popular perfume by The Different Company for women and men and was released in 2000. The scent is woody-floral. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesGeranium, Bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesDalmatian iris, Narcissus
Base Notes Base NotesCedarwood, Vetiver, White musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.09.2019

7.0 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

To be or not to be
One thing I can say for sure: This scent doesn't seem to me to be what it is to others. Which once again shows me how subjective scent sensations are. I searched in vain for the often described "powderiness", "creaminess" and also "butteriness". How much would I have liked the scent to be perceived as the "soft fur of a cat" or "addictive"?

But how do I feel the scent?

Well... Immediately after spraying, he makes me think of Mary Poppin's bitter medicine, which could have taken a few spoons of sugar. An intense herbaceousness (coriander) develops immediately, which appears cool, bitter and almost transparent. I have the feeling that the coriander wants to blow my head free. After a certain time, the herbaceousness diminishes and the fragrance becomes soft.... Very quiet. A dry woodiness remains, behind which hides a withered bouquet of flowers, which was obviously too seldom poured. The delicate veil that lingers on my skin afterwards strangely reminds me of the CD deodorant "Water Lily". Is that perhaps the iris that fights its way through the thicket?
After 3-4 hours I am asked the question "Where are you???"
Which brings me straight to the shelf life of the fragrance. In my opinion, this is more than poor. Sillage? - Very close. I sprayed it generously on my better half for experimental purposes and unfortunately could not notice it after a short time.

In short: I expected a cuddly scent of well-being, in which I can literally wrap myself, like in a thick wool coat. And what did I get? A sober looking Bundeswehr camouflage uniform, with which I could hide in the woods.
Am I disappointed? No, I'm not. I'm not. I'm one fragrance experience richer. And who knows.... Maybe someday I'll smell the same thing the others smell. I'm not giving up that easy
5.0 2.5 2.5 2.0/10

Bois d'Iris
This fragrance opens with the delicate smell of powdery iris on base of earthy vetiver. Bergamot adds a touch of sweetness to the first, whereas cedar emphasises the woodsy qualities of the latter. As the scent dries on my skin, the iris note merges with the wood and grass to create a clean, polished masculine accord. This calm elegance, however, is temporarily disturbed by narcissus and geranium which on my skin cause the fragrance to intensify its spicy qualities until its smells like cinnamon. This odd development does not last long, because soon the accord becomes its wonderful pale powdery-woodsy self again and remains so until the dry down. Unfortunately this fragrance does not last long on my skin, after roughly three hours it is gone.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Spiced Iris, if dabbed, or Woody Iris, if sprayed!
BOIS D'IRIS has a sharp, dark quality completely missing from the members of the Prada iris trio: Infusion d'Iris edt and edp, and the Jean-Baptiste Grenouille composition, Infusion d'homme. I suspect that the dark woodiness—almost incense-like quality—may appeal to those who find the Prada compositions too light and frivolous—or simply too polite!

I, however, as an amateur of the Prada trio, find this creation a bit heavy handed. It's certainly not a big carrot-iris (à la Hermès HIRIS), but it does have its own unique earthy funkiness, which is bound to vary in expression from wearer to wearer. I do think that the spicy bois dominates the iris here, and the sharp quality makes the overall effect less appealing to me than, say, Acqua di Parma IRIS NOBILE or even Yves Rocher IRIS NOIR.

Update: I tried this in an atomizer, and it smells SO MUCH BETTER sprayed than dabbed. It smells more woody and less spicy, and I like it this way. I have changed my evaluation from neutral to positive...

by CosmicLove