L'Esprit Cologne - Tokyo Bloom (2012)

L'Esprit Cologne - Tokyo Bloom by The Different Company
Bottle Design: Thierry de Baschmakoff

L'Esprit Cologne - Tokyo Bloom is a perfume by The Different Company for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is green-fresh. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBasil, Dandelion, Blackcurrant
Heart Notes Heart NotesCyclamen, Jasmine
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Musk, Gaiac wood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 08.09.2019

5.0 4.0 4.0/10

Immaterial
This one's been on my wish list for a while, but sadly did not live up to my (possibly unrealistic) expectations.

Initially, I get the aroma of wild grasses (first 30), then something more airy comes along which echoes being outside. I can't peg this. It's not ozonic, but something with a tinge of sweetness to it.

Occasionally, the scent transitions to pepper, and then a rotten waterlogged vegetable smell, then vanilla musk and aldehydes. Sometimes it just skips to the vanilla musk and aldehydes stage. The projection dies off in the first hour, vanishing to just about nothing. I don't think it lasts more than four hours on my skin.

Now this last stage deserves comment. Where it lands is a generic young girl's scent. If you suspect that you've found the most generic perfume you can possibly wear, congrats. You have. You've smelled it a million times before, under different names, but it's all the same stuff.

I was expecting something distinctive -- kudzu, cherry blossom (sakura), maybe even rice -- but not vanilla musk. I got the dandelion (wild grasses, I guess) note, which was nice, but nothing that spoke to me specifically of Japan or Tokyo.

Final evaluation: Not worth it.

It could always be that I'm romanticizing a place I've never been. Yet, doesn't the line Scents of Departure make the claim that different places smell different? The Different Company might look to them for some olfactory inspiration.

7.5 7.5 6.0/10

Kyushu Bloom
The Different Company TOKYO BLOOM is the first perfume I've smelled with a central dandelion note. Does anything in the world smell like dandelions but dandelions? No, I think not--though I may of course be mistaken. In any case, what I am perceiving as bright yellow dandelions are combined here with floral, green, and aquatic components along with a touch of wood to create a fragrance which lives up to this house's name, "Different", and conveys a sense of being outside in an untamed rural setting.

Initially, I really do smell the milky juice from the inside of just-pulled dandelions in this composition, which is an unexpected experience, I must say. Then the flowers become stronger, especially jasmine, but there is always a watery aspect which does remind me a bit of rural Japan, albeit not Tokyo. Overall, TOKYO BLOOM is a fresh watery green floral yellow dandelion creation, which is, yes, unique in my experience.

I suspect that some people may have difficulty surmounting our culture's anti-dandelion prejudice. People generally think of dandelions as weeds, not the basis of fine perfume. Those who do not know dandelions will in all likelihood read this more as a greenish jasmine perfume.

Itchynose 140 days ago
Green, fresh and very reminiscent of Mugler Cologne, only with a slightly more bitter dry down.
9.0